Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,129 members, 7,867,270 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 01:08 PM

Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. (1726 Views)

Opinion: Concerning Biafra And The Igbo Agitation For Secession / Orji Uzor Kalu To Igbos: "Forget Biafra And Unite With Nigeria", Igbos Blast Him / In Nigeria, Biafra Separatists Are Celebrating Donald Trump Election> Usa Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by lawani: 12:58pm On May 19, 2016
When the British created Nigeria, it was three regions or states and the Lagos colony which sends an elected Rep to the Western assembly at Ibadan upon the inauguration of that assembly. The Western state, the East and the North. The North had the biggest territory and the most people comprising of the Hausa, the Kanuri, the Yoruba, the Igala, Idoma and many ethnic nations that were independent in the 19th century. The Fulani empire covered most of Hausa land save a few areas where some Habe rulers relocated to start new dynasties but those were far in between. Many Hausa fell into the French held Niger republic, part of the Kanem Bornu also fell to French held Chad. So their people are in those places while they are struggling with strange bed fellows like Igbos, Tiv, Yoruba and etc in Nigeria. This is part of the grudge of Boko Haram. So the North contained Hausas and Nupe in and outside the Fulani empire, then Kanuri in the Kanem Bornu, Yoruba in Ilorin, Jebba, Offa, Okun and etc, then Igala, Ebira, Bariba, Tiv, Idoma, Jukun and etc in their nation states. All of whom were independent and militarized as at the late 19th century. The Fulani empire was the largest and most populous and it was restricted to the majority of Hausa and Nupe lands. Nupe to the South of the Niger maintained independence, all Bariba, North, South of the Niger as well as in Benin republic also maintained independence but the whole place was unified as Northern Nigeria by Britain with the Hausa Fulani as the main group. Since human resources is everything, the North as one, came out tops. The West contained several independent Yoruba nations, Fon, Benin, Ishan, Urhobo, Ijaw, Igala, Itsekiri, Isoko and Igbos on the West side of the River Niger. It was an improvement on the efforts of Ibadan to unify the Yoruba, however, a chunk of the Yoruba and Bariba went to the North while the realms of Delta and Edo were added to the majority Yoruba region. The Fon area of Badagry was in the West as it remained an Oyo outpost after the rest of the Fon declared independence from Oyo. Some Yoruba land like Ajase which is Porto Novo also fell to the Fon then the French in Benin republic. The Fon failed in capturing Abeokuta. The East was majority Igbo, they got Efik, Ijaw, Annang and etc as bonus human resources. The main thing was human resources and land and in those, the North led by the Hausa Fulani got the lion share but they did not get all their people in West Africa together. Only the Igbo nearly managed that. The Yoruba controlled West was the smallest of the regions but the Yoruba are the number one ethnic group in Africa by numbers. Nigeria gained independence in 1960 and the Yoruba went into opposition. The new system of government required having an opposition party. In the past, the only party in Yoruba was the Ogboni. The Yoruba controlled West was the smallest region, yet the Igbo controlled East and Hausa Fulani controlled North engineered the breakup of the West via a referendum in 1963 with their NPC/NCNC coalition government. Thus the Midwest was created with the Western state under Chief Akintola embittered. Afterall, no one wants the concern they are managing to reduce, only to increase. Later the North and the East fell out with each other, leading to a coup and a countercoup which saw the Gen Gowon Northern led government splitting all the regions again by decree, save the Midwest. The Eastern minorities jubilated but the Eastern government responded by declaring an independent Republic of Biafra which led to a civil war which they lost. It is my believe that the split of the regions was inevitable, if the West was split, others had to be split too whether by decree or democratically. We must uphold the independence of ethnic nations formed thousands of years ago but nowadays Igbos are still asking for Biafra. In the 16th century. Benin was a Yoruba empire that covered parts of Anambra, Delta, Rivers and if you are a titled person or an indigene in all those places today, then your ancestors were not Igbos as at five hundred years ago. They were Yoruba people whose capital was Benin but due to intermarriages, trade and interraction, you are now Igbos. This is why Igbos have no unified account of origin. Many recently became Igbos a few generations back. So let Igbos take the people they are lucky to have in the South East and South South and forget about Biafra, as Calabar, Efik, Annang, Ijaws and etc are clearly not Igbos. The Yoruba can not claim Igala today despite that they are a Yoruba people complete with an ancient Ife on Igala land but they are now a separate nation. We can only claim our people in Kwara, Kogi, Niger states, then Benin republic and Togo. Not Igalas. No matter how hard Igbos try, non Igbos who dont even speak Igbo can not be turned to Igbos by them easily. You can only ally with them just like you ally with others like Hausas and Yorubas unless they agree to come under the Igbo language sphere.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by eliteguy01(m): 9:40pm On Feb 04, 2017
lawani:
When the British created Nigeria, it was three regions or states and the Lagos colony which sends an elected Rep to the Western assembly at Ibadan upon the inauguration of that assembly. The Western state, the East and the North. The North had the biggest territory and the most people comprising of the Hausa, the Kanuri, the Yoruba, the Igala, Idoma and many ethnic nations that were independent in the 19th century. The Fulani empire covered most of Hausa land save a few areas where some Habe rulers relocated to start new dynasties but those were far in between. Many Hausa fell into the French held Niger republic, part of the Kanem Bornu also fell to French held Chad. So their people are in those places while they are struggling with strange bed fellows like Igbos, Tiv, Yoruba and etc in Nigeria. This is part of the grudge of Boko Haram. So the North contained Hausas and Nupe in and outside the Fulani empire, then Kanuri in the Kanem Bornu, Yoruba in Ilorin, Jebba, Offa, Okun and etc, then Igala, Ebira, Bariba, Tiv, Idoma, Jukun and etc in their nation states. All of whom were independent and militarized as at the late 19th century. The Fulani empire was the largest and most populous and it was restricted to the majority of Hausa and Nupe lands. Nupe to the South of the Niger maintained independence, all Bariba, North, South of the Niger as well as in Benin republic also maintained independence but the whole place was unified as Northern Nigeria by Britain with the Hausa Fulani as the main group. Since human resources is everything, the North as one, came out tops. The West contained several independent Yoruba nations, Fon, Benin, Ishan, Urhobo, Ijaw, Igala, Itsekiri, Isoko and Igbos on the West side of the River Niger. It was an improvement on the efforts of Ibadan to unify the Yoruba, however, a chunk of the Yoruba and Bariba went to the North while the realms of Delta and Edo were added to the majority Yoruba region. The Fon area of Badagry was in the West as it remained an Oyo outpost after the rest of the Fon declared independence from Oyo. Some Yoruba land like Ajase which is Porto Novo also fell to the Fon then the French in Benin republic. The Fon failed in capturing Abeokuta. The East was majority Igbo, they got Efik, Ijaw, Annang and etc as bonus human resources. The main thing was human resources and land and in those, the North led by the Hausa Fulani got the lion share but they did not get all their people in West Africa together. Only the Igbo nearly managed that. The Yoruba controlled West was the smallest of the regions but the Yoruba are the number one ethnic group in Africa by numbers. Nigeria gained independence in 1960 and the Yoruba went into opposition. The new system of government required having an opposition party. In the past, the only party in Yoruba was the Ogboni. The Yoruba controlled West was the smallest region, yet the Igbo controlled East and Hausa Fulani controlled North engineered the breakup of the West via a referendum in 1963 with their NPC/NCNC coalition government. Thus the Midwest was created with the Western state under Chief Akintola embittered. Afterall, no one wants the concern they are managing to reduce, only to increase. Later the North and the East fell out with each other, leading to a coup and a countercoup which saw the Gen Gowon Northern led government splitting all the regions again by decree, save the Midwest. The Eastern minorities jubilated but the Eastern government responded by declaring an independent Republic of Biafra which led to a civil war which they lost. It is my believe that the split of the regions was inevitable, if the West was split, others had to be split too whether by decree or democratically. We must uphold the independence of ethnic nations formed thousands of years ago but nowadays Igbos are still asking for Biafra. In the 16th century. Benin was a Yoruba empire that covered parts of Anambra, Delta, Rivers and if you are a titled person or an indigene in all those places today, then your ancestors were not Igbos as at five hundred years ago. They were Yoruba people whose capital was Benin but due to intermarriages, trade and interraction, you are now Igbos. This is why Igbos have no unified account of origin. Many recently became Igbos a few generations back. So let Igbos take the people they are lucky to have in the South East and South South and forget about Biafra, as Calabar, Efik, Annang, Ijaws and etc are clearly not Igbos. The Yoruba can not claim Igala today despite that they are a Yoruba people complete with an ancient Ife on Igala land but they are now a separate nation. We can only claim our people in Kwara, Kogi, Niger states, then Benin republic and Togo. Not Igalas. No matter how hard Igbos try, non Igbos who dont even speak Igbo can not be turned to Igbos by them easily. You can only ally with them just like you ally with others like Hausas and Yorubas unless they agree to come under the Igbo language sphere.

now I know why most of my Ibo friends who have being in Yoruba land are not always an inch different from us not even with look only DAT they always have a higher ratio of fair people than us...

. let Ibo and Yoruba form a nation together let the hausas go.. We are both facing the same problem,we are both in the awww of the uneducated people dominating us due to man power, they isn't a single aspect where you will find a Yoruba man when u won't see an Ibo man vice versa.. They have eaten deep into each other I can't stop thinking about how funny it will to see the two splitting because I have never heard of a Yoruba man molested in an Ibo land same thing happens hear in fact u won't recognize them not until they speak or u guessed because ibos can be fairer but it always fail again. I strongly believe we love to insult ourselves on social media but no single record of conflict have been recorded over 40yrs ago and not even a single fight over this topic on the street even though we live together... If u want biafra I support it pls don't use thug go through protocol invite the Yoruba leaders then the 2 tribes will form the majority.. But pls everybody let reform ourselves let cry over all our corrupt way and turn a new life,this goes for all of us..
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by lawani: 9:56pm On Feb 04, 2017
eliteguy01:

now I know why most of my Ibo friends who have being in Yoruba land are not always an inch different from us not even with look only DAT they always have a higher ratio of fair people than us...

. let Ibo and Yoruba form a nation together let the hausas go.. We are both facing the same problem,we are both in the awww of the uneducated people dominating us due to man power, they isn't a single aspect where you will find a Yoruba man when u won't see an Ibo man vice versa.. They have eaten deep into each other I can't stop thinking about how funny it will to see the two splitting because I have never heard of a Yoruba man molested in an Ibo land same thing happens hear in fact u won't recognize them not until they speak or u guessed because ibos can be fairer but it always fail again. I strongly believe we love to insult ourselves on social media but no single record of conflict have been recorded over 40yrs ago and not even a single fight over this topic on the street even though we live together... If u want biafra I support it pls don't use thug go through protocol invite the Yoruba leaders then the 2 tribes will form the majority.. But pls everybody let reform ourselves let cry over all our corrupt way and turn a new life,this goes for all of us..

Igbos are one of the largest nations on Earth, so why join with Yorubas? If Yorubas stay as one, there will still be competition between the subnations like Ijesa, Ife, Ibadan, Ilorin etc but there is basis for unity. There are all one people. Even inside family, people 'die' each other. So it is not healthy to keep Igbo and Yoruba as one. Igbos are too many!.

Then separate as friends, dont pick unnecessary fights as your people in other lands are still assets for you by way of forex earners and etc. No need of Yoruba and Igbo ganging up against Hausa or Hausa and Igbo ganging up against Yorubas! Etc. Let people just maintain their land. People will still be living amongst each other!.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Nobody: 10:58pm On Feb 04, 2017
Na so them go just they lie lie. See them cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Nobody: 11:02pm On Feb 04, 2017
Igbos were once aborigine to Ile Ife. #HistoricalFacts.
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by thuggCheetah(m): 11:13pm On Feb 04, 2017
blues2022:
What is your point?
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Nobody: 11:47pm On Feb 04, 2017
thuggCheetah:
What is your point?
Do your research and then come lets talk.
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by kettykings: 12:16am On Feb 05, 2017
eliteguy01:

igbos and yorubas forming the same countryh will produce a far worse result than what we have in Nigeria today, both entities are bigger than most african nations , it will be only fiar if yourbas form their country and igbos go their way

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by AsiwajuNdigbo: 3:01am On Feb 05, 2017
eliteguy01:

I agree we ndigbos should fall in as a subgroup of Yoruba race. That way there will be peace in South.

Bravo my brother, good contribution
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by AsiwajuNdigbo: 3:03am On Feb 05, 2017
blues2022:

This is why we should return and identify as a Yoryba subgroup. We stand to gain a lot.
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by MonPro: 9:03am On Feb 05, 2017
blues2022:

You are talking nonsense. Igbos have much more in common with Luos of kenya than with yorubas.
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by MonPro: 9:06am On Feb 05, 2017
AsiwajuNdigbo:

I agree we ndigbos should fall in as a subgroup of Yoruba race. That way there will be peace in South.

Bravo my brother, good contribution

'we ndigbos"..... Who uses such phrases if not yorubas. Listen yorubaman, Igbos are the most difficult to impersonate. So stop fooling yourself and grab a bowl of amala.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by subtlemee(f): 9:28am On Feb 05, 2017
Everybody should form their country and go their way because we are all feeling too big to join with others,we the Annangs and Efiks no matter how minor will never join with the Igbo's because we can forsee the oppression and domination coming and there's a beef already about calabar allowing Nigerian soldiers to use their sea port to gain entry into the east to win the biafra war so we'll be dealt with..if one tribe is granted a nation then we all should go our separate ways to avoid war and slavery
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Nobody: 9:53am On Feb 05, 2017
subtlemee:
Everybody should form their country and go their way because we are all feeling too big to join with others,we the Annangs and Efiks no matter how minor will never join with the Igbo's because we can forsee the oppression and domination coming and there's a beef already about calabar allowing Nigerian soldiers to use their sea port to gain entry into the east to win the biafra war so we'll be dealt with..if one tribe is granted a nation then we all should go our separate ways to avoid war and slavery
I like Calabar women though kiss

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Nobody: 9:55am On Feb 05, 2017
MonPro:

You are talking nonsense. Igbos have much more in common with Luos of kenya than with yorubas.
Guy take time.... you don they give me headache with this kind fat lie. Na wetin undecided
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by IPOB123london: 10:15am On Feb 05, 2017
who wana join yoruba

afonjas are on different orientation.

If you really understand what IGBO stand for then u would never open this baseless thread

we stand for "live let live"; eziokwu bu ndu; the truth is life

afonjas never stand for that mantra so it will not work

do you think if Tinubu with all that stolen money should be able to hand the whole igbo race to boko harem fulani just like that

think again

or that silly lagos oba commanding all that respect; no no no; they are on different orientation

u see the avaerage boko harem northern poli-looter oil money is so devilish and evil. they do not care about their people at all; how can u explain with all that stolen money all u see is million of abandon children walking around in the street to beg for food. Surprisingly nobody is talking about that and the average northern shoe maker dnt wana stand and fight ; gat dammit; this is the country we are talking about eh; kajikwo naw;

Instead talking how we could go on trade deal in order to live and flourish from here they are talking none sense

We are going anyway!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Nobody: 11:40am On Feb 05, 2017
IPOB123london:
who wana join yoruba

afonjas are on different orientation.

If you really understand what IGBO stand for then u would never open this baseless thread

we stand for "live let live"; eziokwu bu ndu; the truth is life

afonjas never stand for that mantra so it will not work

do you think if Tinubu with all that stolen money should be able to hand the whole igbo race to boko harem fulani just like that

think again

or that silly lagos oba commanding all that respect; no no no; they are on different orientation

u see the avaerage boko harem northern poli-looter oil money is so devilish and evil. they do not care about their people at all; how can u explain with all that stolen money all u see is million of abandon children walking around in the street to beg for food. Surprisingly nobody is talking about that and the average northern shoe maker dnt wana stand and fight ; gat dammit; this is the country we are talking about eh; kajikwo naw;

Instead talking how we could go on trade deal in order to live and flourish from here they are talking none sense

We are going anyway!

Hahahaah, you nail it bro. Don't mind this dreamers..... The best is that we could be good neigbors, but not same citizens. The ideology differs a whole lot. We are democrats while indi'ofe are Kabiyesicrats. Ino go work. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Ngozi123(f): 7:53pm On Feb 05, 2017
subtlemee:

I've always believed this to be one of the reasons why many southern groups are apprehensive about Biafra- their guilty conscience is affecting them. I agree with you though; I want an Igbo-only country.

eliteguy01:

This is almost exactly what Ojukwu and co tried to do last time around and we all know what happened then... undecided
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Igboid: 8:14pm On Feb 05, 2017
but the Yoruba are the number one ethnic group in Africa by numbers.

undecided
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Igboid: 8:16pm On Feb 05, 2017
Igbo controlled East and Hausa Fulani controlled North engineered the breakup of the West via a referendum in 1963 with their NPC/NCNC coalition government.

What's the meaning of this fuckery? Una no dey tire for these lies? angry
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Igboid: 8:18pm On Feb 05, 2017
Later the North and the East fell out with each other, leading to a coup and a countercoup which saw the Gen Gowon Northern led government splitting all the regions again by decree, save the Midwest.

Oga! The coup was not caused by Igbos falling out with the North, the counter coup, maybe, but the coup was caused by the events happening in the western region.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Igboid: 8:20pm On Feb 05, 2017
The Eastern minorities jubilated but the Eastern government responded by declaring an independent Republic of Biafra which led to a civil war which they lost.

If this was true, then Gowon wouldn't have rejected the option of plebiscite on Eastern minority areas in Biafra offered to him by Ojukwu.

Yorubas must stop all these falsehoods, it's nolonger 20th century, it's the 21st. You can't get away with them.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Igboid: 8:22pm On Feb 05, 2017
Benin was a Yoruba empire that covered parts of Anambra, Delta, Rivers and if you are a titled person or an indigene in all those places today, then your ancestors were not Igbos as at five hundred years ago. They were Yoruba people whose capital was Benin but due to intermarriages, trade and interraction, you are now Igbos.

Can you imagine? Just negodu! angry

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Igboid: 8:24pm On Feb 05, 2017
So let Igbos take the people they are lucky to have in the South East and South South and forget about Biafra, as Calabar, Efik, Annang, Ijaws and etc are clearly not Igbos.

I'd take it that you are a comedian just seeking for attention.
Re: Nigeria, Biafra And The Way Forward. by Ngozi123(f): 9:35pm On Feb 05, 2017
Igboid:
Later the North and the East fell out with each other, leading to a coup and a countercoup which saw the Gen Gowon Northern led government splitting all the regions again by decree, save the Midwest.

Oga! The coup was not caused by Igbos falling out with the North, the counter coup, maybe, but the coup was caused by the events happening in the western region.

Many people don't like to talk about the link between the first coup and the violence going on in the Western region, which resulted in Awolowo's imprisonment. I actually believe that they wanted to install Awolowo as the prime minister; it would explain why they conducted the coup at that particular time- only a few months after Awolowo's arrest, I believe. When you really think about it, the notion that they conducted the coup just so they could put Ironsi in charge of the country doesn't make much sense.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan: I Am Praised All Over Africa But Nigeria / See How Amaechi Lures Youths In A Rally In Bera, Gokhana LGA / Christmas Knock-out: Time-bomb (graphic Picture) ; "Urgent Warning"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.