Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,539 members, 7,812,669 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

Hypertension: The Silent Killer - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hypertension: The Silent Killer (18796 Views)

Let's Discuss Hypertension! The 3 Part Exposé, by The Blue Pharmacist / Renal Failure: A Silent Killer / Moi Moi The Silent Killer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by sexymoma(f): 11:41am On May 20, 2016
virginboy1:
. Good day ooo.

Please ooo I need your help. I want to cook JOLLOF RICE should I use Rice?

Thanks
If you use rice u go get hypertension pls use bitter kola angry

2 Likes

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Nobody: 11:48am On May 20, 2016
Stroke is a major complication of hypertension and this is fairly common among Nigerians. Check your BP #stayalivenaija

Kuducancer.com
@kuducancer
FP: Kudu Cancer

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by delightf(f): 11:52am On May 20, 2016
StoneLucifer:
Buharis style of leadership kills faster than hypertension..
God help us nd deliver us nd save us from apc

3 Likes

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by rita25(f): 11:55am On May 20, 2016
mine is 90/70 I don't know if that is too low or just ok.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by starprince91(m): 12:00pm On May 20, 2016
rita25:
mine is 90/70 I don't know if that is too low or just ok.
hypotension.... Too low
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by mrmachine: 12:00pm On May 20, 2016
osizi06:
I havent check mine but sometimes my heart beat faster dan usual without any provocation. And wen am frightened, i sometimes gasp for air. Du u think im hypertensive?

That could be a sign. Check your BP and if it is still tolerable , please reduce salt intake now
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by BizLife(m): 12:23pm On May 20, 2016
It's better for us to take precautionary measure.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by professore(m): 12:25pm On May 20, 2016
However, there are some things that increase one’s chance of having hypertension which include advance age, black race, stress, sedentary lifestyles, alcohol consumption, smoking, consumption of fatty food and extra large people with BMI greater than 30.

A way of showing love to your old ones is to make sure they get their blood pressure checked.

Eat healthy, avoid excessive salt intake and limit alcohol consumption.

We must all know our numbers, mine is 110/70mmHg. What is yours?[quote]

These parts of the post are especially helpful.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by achi4u(m): 12:35pm On May 20, 2016
Mine is 126 to140, I try not to think too much but the hash economy keeps boiling.
God save ur children.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by GoldEnyong(m): 12:40pm On May 20, 2016
All Nigerians are hypertensive except those in politics. Once you are in politics at any level you are cured.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by osizi06(m): 12:41pm On May 20, 2016
mrmachine:

That could be a sign. Check your BP and if it is still tolerable , please reduce salt intake now
Thanks ehhn, i will nd check.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Geehan(f): 1:14pm On May 20, 2016
Mine was 163/117 two weeks ago sadly am just 25 years....my dad has a long hostory of hypertension. Currently on Labetalol and Nifedipine and the drigs have been working wonders.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Rapidx: 1:15pm On May 20, 2016
achi4u:
Mine is 126 to140, I try not to think too much but the hash economy keeps boiling.
God save ur children.
Not very bad. But you should already be on medication. Once you begin to get 140 in your readings, it's likely you'd be hitting 150 without knowing it.

Between 140 and above, the kidney function starts to get impaired especially in black people. Ask your doctor to prescribe low dose Perindopril Arginine. This medication works for most people. It is an ACE inhibitor used to stop the decline of kidney function and control blood pressure.

2 Likes

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by MysticalTee(m): 1:17pm On May 20, 2016
Bros, how u take do am na?

Mine needs to go down oo!

davodyguy:

Smh. Since 2010 under Jonathan, I've been doing 140/90
In 2013, i did in September 160/100
Now im doing 130/90 or last check 120/90

WTH are you saying?
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Rapidx: 1:20pm On May 20, 2016
Geehan:
Mine was 163/117 two weeks ago sadly am just 25 years....my dad has a long hostory of hypertension. Currently on Labetalol and Nifedipine and the drigs have been working wonders.

labetalol is a beta blocker. It could be effective but watch your heart rate cos it could go too low, and again beta blockers are known to reduce kidney function while reducing blood pressure. So keep an eye on your kidney filtration rate. Make sure your doctor conducts a regular serum creatinine test to determine your GFR.

Nifedipine is good.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Nobody: 1:32pm On May 20, 2016
osizi06:
I havent check mine but sometimes my heart beat faster dan usual without any provocation. And wen am frightened, i sometimes gasp for air. Du u think im hypertensive?
same with me, i jst came bck from d lab i went for check up i will b getting my result tonyt
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Geehan(f): 1:39pm On May 20, 2016
Rapidx:

labetalol is a beta blocker. It could be effective but watch your heart rate cos it could go too low, and again beta blockers are known to reduce kidney function while reducing blood pressure. So keep an eye on your kidney filtration rate. Make sure your doctor conducts a regular serum creatinine test to determine your GFR.

Nifedipine is good.

Yeah....seeing my Gp for med review coming tuesday, he will decide if he will take me off the med or reduce my dosage.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by osizi06(m): 1:42pm On May 20, 2016
Timothychima:
same with me, i jst came bck from d lab i went for check up i will b getting my result tonyt
wen d result comes out, pls quote me to tell me.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by davodyguy: 1:48pm On May 20, 2016
MysticalTee:
Bros, how u take do am na?

Mine needs to go down oo!

Take your drugs religiously EVERYDAY OF YOUR LIFE, sleep well, think less, eat less sugar and fatty foods, drink fruits and stop taking alcohol and cigarette

2 Likes

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by blueeyes1: 1:49pm On May 20, 2016
Checked mine two days ago without my drugs(had to do some medical tests,was asked not to take any thing) it was 145/88, checked yesterday, it was 117/80, currently on atenolol and co-irbesartan, discussing with my doctor to take me off atenolol though it works pretty well but I'm concerned about its effect on the kidney.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by stonemasonn: 1:58pm On May 20, 2016
Marijuani helps. You can prepare it with soup or food like beans. But it may increase anxiety though
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by kokomilala(m): 1:59pm On May 20, 2016
As a fitness scientist I see it as a lifestyle issue.I've trained a lot of people who were very hypertensive.After a regime of regular, moderate-high intensity exercise, they showed marked improvements.
A 10-minute-moderate-high intensity walk is enough to put the heart in good shape.Also, moderate salt intake.Just like sugar spikes insulin or blood sugar, salt spikes the heart rate.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by upuphim(m): 2:57pm On May 20, 2016
Swissgarde products has helped me to stabilise my BP. I have suffered side effects of BP drugs and the threat that I must continue for life. My last check was 120/70. Omega Plus and Cal-c-mag did the magic but if you want treatment, you need Aloe Power and Royal Jelly added to it. For any other inquiry contact me on comoli2009@gmail.com.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by AreaFada2: 3:06pm On May 20, 2016
osizi06:

Everybody should check.

Anyone over 35 who hasn't checked is simply reckless. From age 40 as often quoted is too late these days. Even some kids are developing BP now.
In kids, it could even be the first sign of congenital kidney disease that was unknown.

Once diagnosed and lifestyle changes has not worked and you are put om medication, stick to medication and keep monitoring BP regularly.
It is very controllable if you comply with medical advice.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by MysticalTee(m): 3:13pm On May 20, 2016
Thanks bro!

Everyday thou, You try oo.

davodyguy:

Take your drugs religiously EVERYDAY OF YOUR LIFE, sleep well, think less, eat less sugar and fatty foods, drink fruits and stop taking alcohol and cigarette
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by omozu1(m): 3:20pm On May 20, 2016
Nice one
Just change your life style
Especially what you eat and hypertension will never be your problem.
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Sunnylink(m): 3:45pm On May 20, 2016
For permanent solution message me via my facebook profile facebook.com/sundayattah.net 08130980121
Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by GreatManBee: 3:56pm On May 20, 2016
DonLo:
THE SILENT KILLER

Mama Emeka, my childhood neighbour collapsed while going to her store. We all thought it’s a product of her many enemies, since she was a known trouble maker earning her the alias ‘Trouble’. Emeka her son became an orphan and a drop-out as there was nobody to support him. Mama Emeka was said to be healthy that morning before her death which begs the question, what could have gone wrong. The only plausible explanation was that she must have died from complications of a chronic medical condition with hypertension being the prime suspect. Complicated hypertension kills silently and suddenly.

Hypertension simply means abnormal elevated blood pressure. Blood pressure readings are comprised of two values: one for systolic blood pressure and the other one for diastolic blood pressure; anything equal to or above 140 over 90 is considered high. It affects approximately 1 billion people worldwide and it is commoner among blacks. Studies shows that about 30 million Nigerians are hypertensive, affecting 1 in 3 men and 1 in 4 women. Unfortunately over 30% of hypertensives are unaware. These sets of people are time bomb waiting to explode just like Mama Emeka. Kaboom! And they are gone 6 feet under the ground.

Over 90% of hypertension is idiopathic, the causes are unknown. However, there are some things that increase one’s chance of having hypertension which include advance age, black race, stress, sedentary lifestyles, alcohol consumption, smoking, consumption of fatty food and extra large people with BMI greater than 30.

High blood pressure is usually asymptomatic, but when it presents with symptoms, the symptoms are usually vague. Vague symptoms of hypertension include headache, insomnia, blurry vision and palpitations. Untreated or poorly treated hypertension leads to heart failure, heart attack, stroke, blindness, renal failure and many more.

Routine blood pressure check is important(especially for individuals with increased chances) and this can be done in the hospital. One must know his number and it is easier these days that even mushroom ‘chemists’ now render blood pressure checking service at a cheap price. A way of showing love to your old ones is to make sure they get their blood pressure checked. You might be saving a life. To those who have been diagnosed of hypertension, yet you are not on drug and not attending clinic, I feel sorry for the loved ones you’ll be living behind. Stroke might just be knocking on the door. Please retrace your steps.

Eat healthy, avoid excessive salt intake and limit alcohol consumption. Extra large ones should emulate the popular comedienne Lepacious Bose. Hit the gym with the aim of maintaining a healthy weight. Who fatness don epp except for bullies?

We must all know our numbers, mine is 110/70mmHg. What is yours?

This post is to mark the World Hypertension Day, May 17-24th, 2016.

http://kuducancer.com/2016/05/18/the-silent-killer/

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by jerryunit48: 4:20pm On May 20, 2016
iPopAlomo:
120/80

Is that high, low or normal...
it is very ok

1 Like

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by pkartel: 4:31pm On May 20, 2016
[quoauthor=yomalex post=45796896]I take moringa just in case[/quote]
Moringa actually helps.

1 Like

Re: Hypertension: The Silent Killer by Hearme(m): 4:49pm On May 20, 2016
First Class health current edition tells you more about hypertension.it's a digital magazine that can be accessed at http://firstclass-health.com/digital-magazine-april-2016/

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Problem With Early Mouth Odour / University Of Abuja Hospital Plans Mass Burial For 108 Unclaimed Dead Bodies / Nigerian Soldier Tests Positive For Ebola In Liberia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.