Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

Moi Moi The Silent Killer - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Moi Moi The Silent Killer (86403 Views)

Renal Failure: A Silent Killer / Hypertension: The Silent Killer / Audu Ogbeh: Stop Eating Moi-Moi Made In Cellophane. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moi Moi The Silent Killer by dadee007(m): 12:55pm On Apr 27, 2016
Many Decades ago, the word Cancer seemed isolated; restricted to some faraway lands abroad but not common in Africa and most especially, not in Nigeria. But nowadays, cancer has become very prevalent on these shores and has taken the lives of many prominent Africans and Nigerians alike. In this series, we would be looking at what has changed and what we might be doing wrong which we weren’t doing back then that has now led to a spike in the number of cancer cases and as a result, cancer deaths in Nigeria.

Have you ever had this in a fast food restaurant in Nigeria before? If yes, you should desist. You want to know why? Okay, here is why:

In days of old, beans pudding also known as moi moi used to be prepared in leaves. Leaves are organic, natural and harmless. They even give a nice flavour to the beans pudding when cooked.

But today in most places, they are prepared in plastic containers and people still gobble it up, oblivious of the inherent dangers of this modern practice.

Plastics are hydrocarbon.

To explain what this means to the lay man, plastics are gotten from crude-oil; just like your petrol, diesel and engine oil.

When plastics are heated, they release chemicals and these chemicals get into the food that the plastics are used to cook like the beans pudding, moi moi for example. Most of these plastics contain a chemical known as Bisphenol A also known as BPA. When you heat the plastics- as with any stable chemical composition, it becomes unstable and releases these chemicals.

As a rule, DO NOT heat any plastic container with food in it or cause it to become hot e.g by leaving it in the sun.

Although, in advanced countries, there are BPA-free plastics being widely used because of the dangers of ordinary plastics, you can be sure that the plastic used for your moi moi is not BPA-free as BPA-free plastic is not cheap so you cannot buy your moi moi for N250 and expect it to be in BPA-free plastic.

So, as a precaution know these:

There are so many different types of plastics with different uses for each but avoid heating all types of plastics. Including the ones that say on it, “microwave-safe”, “dishwasher safe” etc. Plastics are plastics.

When you want to warm food you kept in plastic in the freezer, put the food in a ceramic bowl, pot or pan before warming it- and that includes the quick warming we do by putting water in a pot and warming the food inside the container that was used to freeze it. (Yes, we know about that)

Take extra care if pregnant as these plastic chemicals affect the unborn child.

Be safe till next time. Bye.

Source:
http://laffhub.com/blog/moi-moi-the-silent-killer

69 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Ashiat39(f): 1:23pm On Apr 27, 2016
Pls dont go after dis wonderful post, cn we use tin to prepare beans pudding?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by dadee007(m): 1:48pm On Apr 27, 2016
Ashiat39:
Pls dont go after dis wonderful post, cn we use tin to prepare beans pudding?
Yes, tin can be used if it is made specially for that purpose like the tins made to make cakes etc. But if it is a disused tin like the one you removed sardines from etc, those actually have the walls coated with BPA or Epoxy resin which is what you are trying to avoid in the first place.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by AppDevt: 2:03pm On Apr 27, 2016
Nylons(as we call them ) and plastics are very dangerous when heated, leaves are the best, and even the leaves have their own added advantage to the moi moi nutritionally, very good post.

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by sinaj(f): 2:49pm On Apr 27, 2016
Wow! Thank you!

Nd I use nylon a lot to prepare moi moi

6 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by BuyNaija: 4:25pm On Apr 27, 2016
This is an eye opener, I had to research this and found it to be very true, let us be very mindful of what we eat , most of the thing we are discarding now , are the healthy options but are not as easy as the modern methods. If you can't use the leaves, use a pan.

19 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by sukkot: 6:53pm On Apr 27, 2016
oh shytttt shocked

that olele in the leaf make sense with eko undecided

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by DICKtator: 6:53pm On Apr 27, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by RichYoungNigger(m): 6:54pm On Apr 27, 2016
Why are you lying ??
Only the ignorant folks will believe this.

Do you know what coca cola is made of ??

Just pour some coca cola, fanta, sprite on a rusted iron or a dirty surface, you will see how it will clean the rusted iron or dirty surface out.
Do you know what the same coca cola does to your internal organs and intestine ??

I'm not that dumb to believe what you just wrote

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by scholes0(m): 6:54pm On Apr 27, 2016
na lie jor .... Iro funfun (white lie)
Even in the west, there are hot fast foods served or microwaved in plastic containers.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by eleojo23: 6:54pm On Apr 27, 2016
I no even like moi moi sef.
Moi moi wey dey run stomach?

I only eat it when I need a laxative. grin

5 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by maxwell767(m): 6:55pm On Apr 27, 2016
>sad

1 Like

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by GJames(m): 6:55pm On Apr 27, 2016
LIES:

The Britsh/Americans knows almost all the causes of cancer, yet it affects them more than anyone one earth.

Me, my father and his father and his father's father have been eating from this plastic bags all their lives and yet there no such thing as cancer in their entire village.

Nigga pleeeaaase, just stay away from Moi Moi

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Presbulg(m): 6:56pm On Apr 27, 2016
Nooooooooooooooooooooo !!!

Not moi moi

Modified : Lol... Just discovered it was the 'nylon' being used that's cancerous and not the moi moi itself

Actually tastes better when prepared with leaves tho.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by naijainfogalery: 6:56pm On Apr 27, 2016
Sometimes i just feel this people are confused , abeg if una don find the real cause of cancer make una holla but for now, Mama sikirat abeg grab me one moi moi make i step down

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by 989900B: 6:56pm On Apr 27, 2016
The most important article of the year -- a word is enough for the wise!

Similar goes for sachet water and plastic-bottled water left in the sun or near any heat source.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Funminicrown: 6:57pm On Apr 27, 2016
Are you invariably saying that Allison Madueke used our money to eat moimoi?

Anyway, my grandma use to call it OLE.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by kevoh(m): 6:57pm On Apr 27, 2016
Na where dem dey sell dis moi-moi leave for Abuja sef? All we get is moi-moi Nylon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Isoni(m): 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2016
They now tie okpa inside nylon, the devil is a liar

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Afrok(m): 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2016
Nice one Op... only ajebos won't know or wont prefer moi moi wrapped in leaves to moi moi in plastics or nylon.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Olarewajub: 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2016
Very informative. Gotta learn how to use plantain leaf for making n
Moi moi

2 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Flexherbal(m): 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2016
OP, you have a point.
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by yomalex(m): 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2016
Ehn na who dey chop moi moi for plastic b4. When you can je moi moi tewe tewe
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by mashnino(m): 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2016
Somethibg newly learnt.

I think this same rule goes for plastic bottled water et al

3 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by RichYoungNigger(m): 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2016
You've transformed from a liar to a lion.

I have a degree in biology from Ohio state university.

So, plastic bags causes cancer ??

The Nigerian government should invest heavily on education.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Odunharry(m): 6:58pm On Apr 27, 2016
people go still eat am...
Days of bird flu, people chop fowl like say everyday na Christmas...
This people no know how many people dey consume moi moi everyday esp weekends.. this people wan spoil business for people make dey prepare moi moi using plastic.

Where can I even get moi moi here in Alaba.. I need it badly

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by emmahoney(m): 6:59pm On Apr 27, 2016
Nylon 6,6 is hazardous to the living thing. When nylon is heated it gets converted to nylon 6,6!This then bio-accumulates and later bio-magnify;this would then lead to cancerous growth in the living system.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by sweatlana: 6:59pm On Apr 27, 2016
Hot moi moi Don hunger me now angry

4 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Nobody: 6:59pm On Apr 27, 2016
And I just finished making my moi moi now with nylon.. what will I do now?

4 Likes

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by undisputedk: 7:00pm On Apr 27, 2016
First they came for ponmo, I didn't speak out because I don't eat ponmo.
Then they came for garri, I didn't speak out because garri aches my stomach.
And now they have come for moi moi and no one is ready to protest because moi moi according to them, hadn't really Epp many.
undecided

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Temismith(f): 7:01pm On Apr 27, 2016
big fat lie lie
Re: Moi Moi The Silent Killer by Nobody: 7:01pm On Apr 27, 2016
Hmmmmm......

After cooking my first ever moi-moi dish just yesterday here, I log onto nairaland only to see this. Na so una take dey give people heart attack o.

BTW is using nylon also bad? Na im I use o sad

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagos: No Social Distancing This Morning, Gtbank, Ikorodu BRT Terminal Pictured / No Bra Day Tweet Goes Wrong / Victor Ikwuemesi Dies Of Coronavirus In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.