Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,029 members, 7,814,510 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

Opel Vectra Service - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Opel Vectra Service (1712 Views)

Please Advice About Opel Vectra B 1996 / Opel Vectra Engine Issues / Opel Astra 1.6 For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opel Vectra Service by critic007(m): 10:50am On May 20, 2016
Hello gurus in the house.

I drive an Opel Vectra B, 2.0L 16v, 1998 model. Recently purchased two months ago. I intend change the engine nd transmission oil. I've googled to check the right grade of oil for this car but cldnt. Although I used Mobil initially. I havnt experience any thing odd yet while driving. I don't know if I should continue using this or not.

Secondly, my mechanic used 1gallon and half of Mobil oil for a 4 cylinder engine. I feel this is much. He said its a large engine thereby requiring more oil.

Thirdly, i need a scanner for this vehicle. A friend's scanner wasn't compactible. Anyone with idea where i can get a scanner compactible with European/GM cars.

Lastly, any good Opel mechanic is needed for my cooling system. The thermostat has been bypassed and fan running directly. Noticed high fuel consumption.

Thank you.
Re: Opel Vectra Service by nurey(m): 12:05pm On May 20, 2016
For your oil weight 15W40 is recommended follow the link to confirm

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/vauxhall_vectra_b_correct_oil_type_224202.cfm

As for the amount of oil, we don't use gallon measurement in Nigeria, we use litres, so explain how many litres the mechanic poured, but am guessing like 6L, cause you could call 1 full keg gallon just my guess. Also were you there when he was pouring it or that's the amount he told you he used.

Follow the link for oil quantity

http://oil-change.info/opel-vectra-b-engine-oil-capacity/

But next time when changing oil, Park on a levelled ground, pour in about 3 to 3.5L engine oil, check the dip stick it must be between the upper and lower point, drive out for 5mins and park on a well levelled ground again, leave engine to cool like 2 to 3hrs,check the dip stick and gauge appropriately
Re: Opel Vectra Service by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:07pm On May 20, 2016
this what i have from AUTODATA

Re: Opel Vectra Service by Nobody: 12:09pm On May 20, 2016
A gallon and a half of engine oil is approximately 7.5 litres, way too much. Your mechanic must be insane, doesn't your engine have a dipstick?? You're going to damage your engine with that much oil. Listed below are risks you're facing, if you continue to run your engine with almost twice the oil capacity:

Damage to o2 sensor, as oil will be drawn into the intake.
Damage to catalyst, as oil will be burnt along with gasoline.
Early degrading of air filter, as oil will be forced back along the intake tract and throttle body.
Damage to oil pump.
Smoking engine.
Risk of fire, as oil may be forced out of the dipstick tube at high rpm, onto a hot exhaust manifold.
Damage to engine, as excessive oil may be sucked into the intake, leading to a hydrolock situation, and bent conrods.
Damage to various oil seals, due to excessive oil pressure (metal oil filters can burst a the seams).
Oil starvation, as the crank counterweights can beat the higher oil level into a froth, causing air pockets and engine seizure.

I will ask you this - have you read your Owner's Manual? It's sad to say this, but the belief that the best way to hide anything from a black man is to hide it in a book rings true.

Just so you know, the Vauxhall / Opel 2.0 16V Ecotech engine takes approximately 3.8 - 4.2 litres of oil, depending on the oil pan or oil filter fitted.
Re: Opel Vectra Service by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:13pm On May 20, 2016
nurey:
For your oil weight 15W40 is recommended follow the link to confirm

http://www.diagnostic-world.com/pages/vauxhall_vectra_b_correct_oil_type_224202.cfm

As for the amount of oil, we don't use gallon measurement in Nigeria, we use litres, so explain how many litres the mechanic poured, but am guessing like 6L, cause you could call 1 full keg gallon just my guess. Also were you there when he was pouring it or that's the amount he told you he used.

Follow the link for oil quantity

http://oil-change.info/opel-vectra-b-engine-oil-capacity/

But next time when changing oil, Park on a levelled ground, pour in about 3 to 3.5L engine oil, check the dip stick it must be between the upper and lower point, [s]drive out for 5mins and park on a well levelled ground again, leave engine to cool like 2 to 3hrs,check the dip stick and gauge appropriately[/s]

all that is unnecessary like you said after draining he needs to pour about 3 litres straight and there after he pours may 200ml at time while checking the dipstick until it it get to the maximum level and thats it
Re: Opel Vectra Service by nurey(m): 4:24pm On May 20, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

all that is unnecessary like you said after draining he needs to pour about 3 litres straight and there after he pours may 200ml at time while checking the dipstick until it it get to the maximum level and thats it

Thanks for the correction. I only advised that since I didn't know the exact litre his engine needs with filter change.

1 Like

Re: Opel Vectra Service by mayor2013: 8:32pm On May 20, 2016
critic007:
Hello gurus in the house.

I drive an Opel Vectra B, 2.0L 16v, 1998 model. Recently purchased two months ago. I intend change the engine nd transmission oil. I've googled to check the right grade of oil for this car but cldnt. Although I used Mobil initially. I havnt experience any thing odd yet while driving. I don't know if I should continue using this or not.

Secondly, my mechanic used 1gallon and half of Mobil oil for a 4 cylinder engine. I feel this is much. He said its a large engine thereby requiring more oil.

Thirdly, i need a scanner for this vehicle. A friend's scanner wasn't compactible. Anyone with idea where i can get a scanner compactible with European/GM cars.

Lastly, any good Opel mechanic is needed for my cooling system. The thermostat has been bypassed and fan running directly. Noticed high fuel consumption.

Thank you.

If you need a scanner call 08165520837 or 08156087872

(1) (Reply)

Customized 1952 Volkswagen (ijapa) / Abandoned Dusty Benz S550 Worth$96,600 Found At Sultan Palace, Sokoto (photo) / Latest Cars In Nigeria: 2018 BMW M5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.