Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English (4299 Views)

Betty Akeredolu: 'I Met My Hubby During NYSC, He's Broke, Couldn't Take Me Out' / Throwback When Buhari, Amaechi, Others In Protest Rally Against FG / Melaye: Remi Tinubu Has Arrived Menopause, I Couldn't Have Said I'll Impregnate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Stalwert: 7:13pm On May 20, 2016
A graduate from the south not being able to speak English.

[b]So much has been written about the falling standard of education in Nigeria over the past few years, that one cannot fail to appreciate the severity of the situation for Nigeria as a nation.

Last week there was a case of a Professor of computer science in court who could not answer basic questions about computers, today we read about a lady who was supposed to have completed primary school, secondary school, and then Enugu State University before enrolling in the NYSC.

The only problem was that somewhere along her educational pathway, somebody forgot to teach her English.
No matter what her paper credentials say, it's obvious that she never really learnt to communicate outside her mother tongue. Once again, this is not a problem limited to Enugu state university graduates( I know many excellent Enugu State university graduates), or Ondo computer graduates, it's a national disaster.

Very soon, Nigerian companies would be going to other countries to recruit messangers, clerks, cashiers, not to talk of accountants, engineers, or doctors.

Anybody who agrees that this is a national problem deserving urgent and quick action is welcome to share his/her opinion, also anybody who disagrees and thinks that this is another case of Nigerians in diaspora bashing Nigeria their motherland is also welcome to contribute, but as for me, I fear for naija!

http://news.dailytrust.com/content/view/9008/27/

NYSC member can’t speak English’
Written by Aliyu M. Hamagam, Gombe
Sunday, 04 May 2008
Article Index
‘NYSC member can’t speak English’
Page 2
Page 1 of 2
The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Gombe State has rejected the posting of one Miss Ikpeama Doris Ifeoma, over her inability to speak the English language.

Sunday Trust learnt that Ikpeama, a 28 years old Accountancy graduate of the Enugu State University of Science Technology (ESUT) and a serving corps member in the state could not communicate or write in English.

Speaking to Sunday Trust, the state coordinator, Dr. Ogo-ochi Agbo Emmanuel, said she had undergone three weeks orientation programme without being discovered until she was posted to Government Girls’ Secondary School Doma Gombe for her primary assignment as classroom teacher.

She was reportedly screened by the school principal who found out that she could only speak her native language, Igbo.

She applied to the NYSC state secretariat before any complaints from the school principal that she could not go on with her primary assignment on health grounds.

While making the complaints, she was asked to lodge a formal complaint in writing by the state coordinator, Dr. Emmanuel, after some difficulty in communication with her.

Dr Emmanual said she could not write the letter, adding that the state secretariat later got the rejection letter from the secondary school, complaining of her inability to speak English.

He said the NYSC secretariat alerted the NYSC headquarters, saying that Ikpeama is now at the state secretariat pending further directives from the headquarters.

He added that she claimed to have attended the community primary and secondary schools Eziagu, her hometown, before enrolling into ESUT
[/b]

https://www.nairaland.com/131749/nysc-candidate-cant-speak-write
Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Stalwert: 7:15pm On May 20, 2016
lalasticala frontpage abeg some people can better understand how a English problem no be for only chibok and cannot be used as a basis to deny the ordeal our girls have gone through

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by SeverusSnape(m): 7:19pm On May 20, 2016
Mtcheeww... Some people are trying hard to justify this scam script play by APC. Nice one, but try harder, not all Nigerians are zombified humanoids.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by SeverusSnape(m): 7:20pm On May 20, 2016
^^^Strike through as usual vedaxcool

1 Like

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by eddyroyal(m): 7:21pm On May 20, 2016
It's a national disaster.
Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by MrKong: 7:21pm On May 20, 2016
SeverusSnape:
Mtcheeww... Some people are trying hard to justify this scam script play by APC. Nice one, but try harder, not all Nigerians are zombified humanoids.
Somebody just brought you a fact that it's not only a northern issue that some graduates let alone SS students can't communicate effectively in English and all you can say is "scam script played by APC"

Are APC members school teachers in secondary school or lecturers in university?...being a wailer is one thing, but doing it without sense is a whole level of astonishing stup!dity

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by MalcoImX: 7:22pm On May 20, 2016
And dey come dey surprise say Chibok secondary school girl no fit speak English. dat na why dey even say d schoolgirl kidnap na scam. Oya Asari, if an dat you based your argument, what sayest thou of this Southern graduate wey no fit write or speak turenshi.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Nobody: 7:26pm On May 20, 2016
undecided

Silly Post!

BTW: I'm ain't saying the found Chibok Girl (now a young Woman with a bouncing Baby) is a Hoax, however I'm seeing no reason why the OP should come up with this post to justify her inability to communicate in English Language (even in Pidgin).
You don't need to find any unnecessary loophole to justify the nonsense! Rather blame it on the ailing Educational System as its affecting the Country at large!
Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Dcomrade(m): 7:28pm On May 20, 2016
I'm not concerned about her inability to speak English.....I'm only concerned abt the writing aspect.
Does it mean she would have written physic using Hausa language and WAEC would have gladly marked too using Hausa language?
This is just my concern, and need clarification undecided

2 Likes

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Stalwert: 7:29pm On May 20, 2016
MrKong:

Somebody just brought you a fact that it's not only a northern issue that some graduates let alone SS students can't communicate effectively in English and all you can say is "scam script played by APC"

Are APC members school teachers in secondary school or lecturers in university?...being a wailer is one thing, but doing it without sense is a whole level of astonishing stup!dity

MalcoImX:
And dey come dey surprise say Chibok secondary school girl no fit speak English. DAT na why dey even say d schoolgirl kidnap na scam. Oya Asari, if an DAT you based your argument, what sayest thou of this Southern graduate wey no fit write or speak turenshi.

Gbamest
Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by jamace(m): 7:31pm On May 20, 2016
Haba, we should not confuse issues. Did anybody interpret from english to igbo language to her like it was done for Amina Ali?

There is difference between being fluent in english language and not understanding english language. At least she could speak "broken" or pidgin english.

1 Like

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Stalwert: 7:32pm On May 20, 2016
Dcomrade:
I'm not concern about her inability to speak English.....I'm only concern abt the writing aspect.
Does it mean she would have written physic using Hausa language and WAEC would have gladly marked too using Hausa language?

sir clarify from the igbo lady in the op whatever answer you get from her would suffice for the chibok girl. Remember the igbo lady wrote all her waec in ... then 100level.... 400level in what language. ...

1 Like

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Stalwert: 7:34pm On May 20, 2016
This thread is just showing us the possibility of people passing thru school yet being unable to communicate well in english. It is not I repeat it is not an attack on the south or any ethnicity.

Thanks

Cc mynd44
Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by SeverusSnape(m): 7:35pm On May 20, 2016
MrKong:

You and I knows he brought this up just to defend this scam of a 'rescue'. Just the way you guys always justify every wrongdoings of this administration by referring to that of the last administration. Pathetic.
Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Nobody: 7:35pm On May 20, 2016
Stalwert:
lalasticala frontpage abeg some people can better understand how a English problem no be for only chibok and cannot be used as a basis to deny the ordeal our girls have gone through
Thank you very much my friend. Some of these people will avoid this thread like cancer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Stalwert: 7:36pm On May 20, 2016
jamace:
Haba, we should not confuse issues. Did anybody interpret from english to igbo language to her like it was done for Amina Ali?

There is difference between being fluent in english language and not understanding english language. At least she could speak "broken" or pidgin english.

sir you wil read in the op as follows

She was reportedly screened by the school principal who found out that she could only speak her native language, Igbo

1 Like

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 20, 2016
jamace:

so the enugu graduate was taught in pidgin English through school?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Ddaji(m): 7:41pm On May 20, 2016
SeverusSnape:
what is wrong with you,don't you shame? Ibos said the main reason why chibok issue is a scam is because of inability of the girl to communicate in English. Here we are talking of graduate from prestigious Enugu state university disgracing the whole ibo race in the North and you have audacity to open your mouth. Haba!!! for once please sit down and reflect.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by DesChyko: 7:42pm On May 20, 2016
Lol.. Writing English is very different from understanding English. For instance: You tell a person 'Go Away'. The person turns and leaves. You tell a person 'Go Away'. The person remains in his position. These are two different scenarios. But all the same, it is pathetic for a school graduate not to be able to write and speak English. Although, it is clear she understands.
Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Stalwert: 7:43pm On May 20, 2016
DesChyko:
Lol.. Writing English is very different from understanding English. For instance: You tell a person 'Go Away'. The person turns and leaves. You tell a person 'Go Away'. The person remains in his position. These are two different scenarios. But all the same, it is pathetic for a school graduate not to be able to write and speak English. Although, it is clear she understands.

Stalwert:

sir you wil read in the op as follows

She was reportedly screened by the school principal who found out that she could only speak her native language, Igbo
Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Jesusloveyou: 7:44pm On May 20, 2016
SeverusSnape:
hahahahahaha,i pity that poor ipod girl, she must be ur wife, sorry ehn

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by DesChyko: 7:47pm On May 20, 2016
Ddaji: what is wrong with you, *don't you shame*? Ibos said the main reason why chibok issue is a scam is because of inability of the girl to communicate in English. Here we are talking of graduate from prestigious Enugu state university disgracing the whole ibo race in the North and you have audacity to open your mouth. Haba!!! for once please sit down and reflect.

I can see you're intent on turning this into a tribal war. Well, Ibos are now giving you attention. Now, what the hell is ' don't you shame? ' Who taught you 'shame' is a verb? If you're a Northerner, I can obviously see why you're sympathizing with the alleged Chibok girl in question. If you're a graduate, you may want to examine yourself first before you criticise the Ibo lady for disgracing the Ibos like me.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by DesChyko: 7:53pm On May 20, 2016
Stalwert:

What's with the mention? undecided
Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by MalcoImX: 7:57pm On May 20, 2016
Jesusloveyou:
hahahahahaha,i pity that poor ipod girl, she must be ur wife, sorry ehn
Kai, I can see why Mr. Snap's hellbent on making less of this story. So the girl is his wife?
Ha
Haha
Hahahaha.

1 Like

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by glamz007(m): 7:59pm On May 20, 2016
if i understand this post very well, it means the Corp member in question is a graduate. And as a graduate u write atleast 60 courses. So ur sayinf this person didn't write any of those courses by himself/herself. I don't just get o

1 Like

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by MalcoImX: 8:00pm On May 20, 2016
Ddaji:
what is wrong with you,don't you shame? Ibos said the main reason why chibok issue is a scam is because of inability of the girl to communicate in English. Here we are talking of graduate from prestigious Enugu state university disgracing the whole ibo race in the North and you have audacity to open your mouth. Haba!!! for once please sit down and reflect.
DesChyko:

I can see you're intent on turning this into a tribal war. Well, Ibos are now giving you attention. Now, what the hell is ' don't you shame? ' Who taught you 'shame' is a verb? If you're a Northerner, I can obviously see why you're sympathizing with the alleged Chibok girl in question. If you're a graduate, you may want to examine yourself first before you criticise the Ibo lady for disgracing the Ibos like me.
DesChyko, Ddaji's logic is sound. If inability to speak English is what's making some of you to discredit the Chibok rescue, then the first thing we expect from you is to say that that graduate is a Hausa girl.

2 Likes

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Ddaji(m): 8:06pm On May 20, 2016
DesChyko:

nobody is turning the issue to tribal except you and your tribe.The fact put forward by the enemies of government to term the chibok issue as scam was inability of the girl to communicate in English. Here is your sister from prestigious ibo university disgracing herself in an area that you and your people always refer to as backward.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Lordave: 8:07pm On May 20, 2016
Stalwert:
Another Chibok Scam victim.

So it's because of Chibok Scam Rescue you went to dig up this shít?

1 Like

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Jesusloveyou: 8:07pm On May 20, 2016
Dcomrade:
I'm not concern about her inability to speak English.....I'm only concern abt the writing aspect. Does it mean she would have written physic using Hausa
\
u are concern about 17yrs old girl, but not concern about 28yrs old graduate, how did the computer science graduate write and pass physic, she also graduate, while chibok girl has not even pass ssce

1 Like

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by AntidaftMOD: 8:10pm On May 20, 2016
Dcomrade:
I'm not concern about her inability to speak English.....I'm only concern abt the writing aspect.

I'm not also concerned about your inability to construct a simple sentence in English Language. .What I feel concerned about is the difference between you and the said Chibok girl. Your written English is quack!

2 Likes

Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by dimieprincess(f): 8:17pm On May 20, 2016
AntidaftMOD:

I'm not also concerned about your inability to construct a simple sentence in English Language. .What I feel concerned about is the difference between you and the said Chibok girl. Your written English is quack!
don't mind the guy, he is even worse "would've written".
lol
Re: Throwback When A Graduate Couldn't Speak English by Jesusloveyou: 8:18pm On May 20, 2016
Lordave:
Another Chibok Scam victim.
So it's because of Chibok Scam Rescue you went to dig up this shít?
is more than enough to dig out all the shi t just to put sense into una fish brain

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Awo's Resignation Letter After Biafran War And Gowon's Reply. / The Secret To Better Sexual Life / See Proves That Reno Omokri Is A Nairaland Member - (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.