Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,770 members, 7,866,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 09:54 AM

Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? (1085 Views)

2019: Why Are IPOB Yoots Suddenly Turned Champion Of "Patriotism"? / Biafra Without Igbo Nationalism Is A Joke / Patriotism ~ Why Nigerians Should Be Patriotic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by Nobody: 11:03am On May 21, 2016
You know sometimes I wonder the kind of Nigerians we get to see these days, especially the youths. we've allowed ourselves to become the play things of politicians, they've so messed with our minds and now their game plan is working perfectly well. there's no iota of patriotism anymore and our nationalistic propensity completely dead. Now here are the questions;
who gains when Nigeria becomes a war theatre? you, that you can't even feed your self yet? or the politicians who have looted the country's treasury and have amassed so much wealth stashed away in safe haven? who gains when the economy goes completely bankrupt? is it you? who gains when Nigeria becomes ungovernable due to crisis here and there? who gains when education becomes unaffordable? the truth is we lose heavily in all these cases and stand to gain nothing.
I hear people wish silently that this administration fails. well if it does we'll all bear the brunt. some even want the country to fail so they could score some cheap political points, some want this country to fail because Jonathan who happens to be their kinsman lost to a Notherner. Ever since then we've been hearing and seeing all sort of self acclaimed freedom fighters and militant groups who have vowed to ruin Nigeria to the ground. where are the likes of Asari Dokubo today? How many jobs was he able to give his Niger-Delta people he claimed he was fighting for? How many homeless people was he able to take off the streets? he simply fought for his own pockets made his money left the scene and left the others to die in the ditch and kept mute. Nigerian youths! where is our patriotism, where is our pride as a people? where is our reason? Are these the future of tomorrow? I weep for my country. the truth is if we let some overzealous self centred politicians destroy this country we would all pay dearly for it. my guess is if trouble finally erupts; they have mansions abroad they can run to, you don't even have a room yet. they have enough looted funds stashed for their children, you don't have access to such. Nigerian youths lets stand up its time to to use our heads!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by freeze001(f): 11:56am On May 21, 2016
How can there be patriotism when the govt n country only seek to take without giving back? When it takes, it does so inequitably and unjustly!

How can there be patriotism when the country and its government have no regard for its people and citizens? Go to our embassies worldwide, it is one cesspit of human degradation after another. Nigerians are killed n dehumanised in various countries, what's the response of the government?

What is there to be patriotic about when politicians have learned to keep the teeming youth hungry and illiterate so they're always to do their rotten business and keep them in power?

Why be patriotic when a country cannot reasonably guarantee the education and health of its citizens with all the resources at its disposal?

Talking of resources, why should one be patriotic when he's not allowed a sense of belonging to work with his own people, develop resources within his environment and contribute an agreed part towards the general upkeep of the external affairs of the country? Instead he's forced to give it all up, watch the big bad govt and its cronies take it all away and leave it with pittance as percentage derivative? Yet this deliberate stealing of the peculiar resources of one region is not replicated across all others?

Why be patriotic when the leader joins foreigners to label his people bad just because he was supposedly exempt as not corrupt? Is such a leader patriotic? Who'd have known him if not for the opportunity and the barrel of the gun which he used to force himself into power? What about millions of Nigerians who are relatively unknown but never compromise their integrity wherever they are? What of Nigerians who by sheer genius, commitment and determination do distinguish themselves all over the word? Why have their contributions n efforts denigrated because he bears links to the name, 'Nigeria'?

Why be patriotic to a dream killing country? See how many youths out there with innovative ideas but hardly get d economic n financial support needed to grow n blossom!

Why be patriotic to a country that masterminded the starvation of vulnerable children in their millions in the name of war?

Why be patriotic to a country that has a despot for a leader? One who makes it clear that a section cannot be treated equally with others because the did not give him votes?

Why be patriotic to a country that makes sure it cannot be held accountable for failing to keep to its fundamental duties n obligations which it owes it's citizens by making Part II of the Constitution non-justiciable? So who is to be held responsible?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by Flexherbal(m): 11:56am On May 21, 2016
Hmmmmmmm!
Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by cktheluckyman: 11:58am On May 21, 2016
Where was patriotism when the stupid president taggged some people as 5% did you condemn that statement?

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by Nobody: 12:02pm On May 21, 2016
I know OP is yoruba×. How do you expect patriotism from SE and SS when they are being marginalized. How do you expect patriotism when 90% of SS oil blocks are owned by the North. How do you expect patriotism when Lagos and Abuja are the only two functioning international airports despite SE and SS accounting for over 70% of all international travels. Why would you expect patriotism when only Lagos ports are functional and yet Warri, Calabar, Port Harcourt and Onitsha not functional despite over 70% of users of Lagos ports being SE and SS/oil industry. Why would you expect patriotism when over 3 million Igbos and neighbouring clans were massacred. I can go on on and on. If you genuinely want patriotism, then address all of these concerns raised!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by Nobody: 12:08pm On May 21, 2016
It's simply selective patriotism. When GEJ was there the northerners and their allies were not patriotic. Now Buhari is there the southerners and her allies are returning the favor. So it will continue. Not that I'm wishing the country evil but that's just the truth. We are too heterogeneous to show any homogeneity.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by globe16: 12:10pm On May 21, 2016
[s]I hear people wish silently that this administration fails.[/s]
what is there to wish in an administration that failed months ago? A hopeless administration

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by Horus(m): 12:17pm On May 21, 2016
Nationalism

The strong belief that the interests of a particular nation-state are of primary importance. Also, the belief that a people who share a common language, history, and culture should constitute an independent nation, free of foreign domination.

Patriotism

Patriotism is an emotional attachment to a nation which an individual recognizes as their homeland. This attachment, also known as national feeling or national pride, can be viewed in terms of different features relating to one's own nation, including ethnic, cultural, political or historical aspects.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by dustmalik: 12:20pm On May 21, 2016
Here is what i don't understand. When gej was there and these militants had unlimited access to him, why didn't they make all these demands then? one of Their excuse for the renewed bombing is the unfavorable allocation of oil blocks. my questions are, did they suddenly realize this after Buhari won their kinsman? Was it Buhari that shared those oil blocks? Why didn't they ask their kinsman to reverse those allocation of oil blocks? Why are they trying to frustrate this administration unnecessarily?

By the way, the amnesty programme was billed to end in December 2015, yet the Buhari led administration decided to extend it. So, what exactly is the problem of these people?
Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by malton: 12:52pm On May 21, 2016
Make I sleep wake up first.

grin
Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by Nobody: 1:09pm On May 21, 2016
Hmm sad indeed
Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by SweetGuy225: 1:19pm On May 21, 2016
Why should I be patriotic to a useless country like Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 21, 2016
Reyginus:
It's simply selective patriotism. When GEJ was there the northerners and their allies were not patriotic. Now Buhari is there the southerners and her allies are returning the favor. So it will continue. Not that I'm wishing the country evil but that's just the truth. We are too heterogeneous to show any homogeneity.

And perhaps the reason behind why we can't fit is because we aren't meant to be together?. It's like coalescing very disparate parts and expecting a pitch perfect interplay. It's practically impossible.

Don't you think we would have some peace of mind if the North could just go form a nation of their own, whilst the South, East and West stay put?. Surely you must have entertained such thought in the past?

Disclaimer: This, in no way, is intended to disparage the Northerners.
Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by Nobody: 1:55pm On May 21, 2016
darkenedrebel:

And perhaps the reason behind why we can't fit is because we aren't meant to be together?. It's like coalescing very disparate parts and expecting a pitch perfect interplay. It's practically impossible.

Don't you think we would have some peace of mind if the North could just go form a nation of their own, whilst the South, East and West stay put?. Surely you must have entertained such thought in the past?

Disclaimer: This, in no way, is intended to disparage the Northerners.
In the past? No. That's the only option, maybe better option. That's the glory of Europe. Same ideology. Same language. Same religion. Same culture. The British that formed this Niggers area had this in mind. That is, subjugation. A kind of catalyst inhibiting any attempt we make to grow.

It's not about the south and north but about the entities that make up these regions. In Benue where I served the TIV's and Idomas share the kind of hatred you'd only find between igbos and Hausa's.

In Kogi, the igala and Igburas are not united. The hatred carries equal venom. In Niger, the Gbagyis and Gwaris love to hate the hausas who have technically colonized them.

In Akwaibom, the Ibibio hate the Anang and some Eket share similar zeal. The Urhobos and Aniomas of Delta state share this same hate.

In PH city, Rivers State, the Igbo speaking Opobos hate the Ikwerre man. In Taraba, the Jukun tribes love to loath the Fulani's and etc. Yoruba and Fulani in kwara state. Or is it the desecration of he Afonja stool by the Fulanis as some will put it?

The striking thing is, these tribes have the numbers to be sovereign States. I always ask people, Nigerians, if they have any hatred for Ghanaians and the majority say no. We'd be better as countries than as tribes. We'd love each other more or hate each other less. You find yourself asking, why would people with human brains do this to themselves?
Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by freeze001(f): 2:26pm On May 21, 2016
dustmalik:
Here is what i don't understand. When gej was there and these militants had unlimited access to him, why didn't they make all these demands then? one of Their excuse for the renewed bombing is the unfavorable allocation of oil blocks. my questions are, did they suddenly realize this after Buhari won their kinsman? Was it Buhari that shared those oil blocks? Why didn't they ask their kinsman to reverse those allocation of oil blocks? Why are they trying to frustrate this administration unnecessarily?

By the way, the amnesty programme was billed to end in December 2015, yet the Buhari led administration decided to extend it. So, what exactly is the problem of these people?

It is patently hypocritical to feign ignorance of the issue of resource control, restructuring and renegotiatiation of the terms of existence of the Nigerian entity as burning issues right from independence. It is disgusting to see people hide their shameless heads under the sand and then say the SS n SE started agitation because their son lost election and a northern muslim is now in power.

What was Ken Saro Wiwa about? Isaac Boro? Biafra and the Civil War? The on shore, off shore dichotomy? 13% derivation and so on? What was the CONFAB about?
There wasn't much restiveness especially from the SS because their son was in power and went a long way to address these long term issues in a humane and inclusive way with the CONFAB.

Rather than review and implement its resolutions, Buhari n co decide to throw it out as a no go area for what? So do u expect the SS n SE to swallow it all because of a phantom one Nigeria designed to enslave some n elevate others?
Regarding oil well ownerships, those are licences with dates of expiration! Was Jonathan expected to revoke all out of hand? Of course not! However most of them would be due for renewal or reallocation within this tenure and that's why d parasitic elements of this country fought hard to unseat him with all manner of unconscionable lies n propaganda!

Do u expect aggrieved persons to go to sleep then? Hall no! How much has all the talking and dialogue achieved?

3 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by BiafranJesus: 2:36pm On May 21, 2016
I do not know about you Nigerians but Biafrans are united.

Watch this video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1uttXerT6M

Can you ever see Nigerians celebrate their flag like that? Never.

4 Likes

Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by Nobody: 2:48pm On May 21, 2016
Reyginus:
In the past? No. That's the only option, maybe better option. That's the glory of Europe. Same ideology. Same language. Same religion. Same culture

Touché.

But what would you make of the United States?. The population and workforce here is comprised of Whites, Hispanics, Asians, Afro-Americans, Africans, Jews, Canadians etc, but yet dichotomy within the country(save for some exceptions like KKK inter alia) is not as amplified as you would normally expect considering how very multifarious the US is.

The British that formed this Niggers area had this in mind. That is, subjugation. A kind of catalyst inhibiting any attempt we make to grow

What concrete proof do you have to bolster this?.

I, for one, believe that the whites never gave a hoot about us; neither did they think it prudent to conduct a thorough background check.
Perhaps, if they had furrowed deeper during the incipient stages of colonization, they probably would have understood that the different parts of the now subsumed constituents have very distinct cultures and would be too incongruous to function as a single unit. I think the amalgamation was done unwittingly, and not intentionally contrived to stymie our development as you postulated.

It's not about the south and north but about the entities that make up these regions. In Benue where I served the TIV's and Idomas share the kind of hatred you'd only find between igbos and Hausa's.

In Kogi, the igala and Igburas are not united. The hatred carries equal venom. In Niger, the Gbagyis and Gwaris love to hate the hausas who have technically colonized them.

In Akwaibom, the Ibibio hate the Anang and some Eket share similar zeal. The Urhobos and Aniomas of Delta state share this same hate.

In PH city, Rivers State, the Igbo speaking Opobos hate the Ikwerre man. In Taraba, the Jukun tribes love to loath the Fulani's and etc. Yoruba and Fulani in kwara state. Or is it the desecration of he Afonja stool by the Fulanis as some will put it?

The striking thing is, these tribes have the numbers to be sovereign States I always ask people, Nigerians, if they have any hatred for Ghanaians and the majority say no. We'd be better as countries than as tribes. We'd love each other more or hate each other less.

It's so disconcerting that such vile hatred and unhealthy internecine should exist amongst us. There's not a solitude shred of espirit de corps.

But having numbers is not the only key requirement. Do they also have the wherewithal to at least keep their citizens above the level of subsistence if/when the nation is eventually carved up?. The last time something of that sort happened(Biafra in 1967), it was a sting on the tail.
Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by BeardedMeat(m): 3:05pm On May 21, 2016
dustmalik:

Your arrogant hollier than thou dullard caused the renewed agitation when upon assuming power he declared on international TV that there were some 95% and 5% of categories of citizens and there democratic dividends from his government would follow that pattern, did you not hear him say it? Was that what should have come from the supposed father of the nation? You sychophants goaded him on to quickly move againt Tompolo knowing fully well how the volatality of the region would react to it. But hell no! Buhari must show that he is a strong man who can both roar and bite too. If Buhari and his hangers-on saw anything wrong with the contract of Tompolo, wouldn't it have been more sensible to quietly in a friendly manner invited him to wherever and reached and agreement for concessions? No! The new sheriff cannot dialogue with anybody whatsoever especially a 5percenter. You all hoped the military would go into ND and level it down forgetting that the military as it stands today is largely depleted and tired from fighting BH and exposing them to any needless war won't avail much.

Your post reeks of one who has resigned to fate but it could have been avoided altogether if only the dullard applied a little diplomacy and tact. They say sofri sofri u catch monkey, but the emperor must have it his way or no other way!

This is just the beginning except buhari amends his ways. Yes, those NDA's demands are problems that has always been with us. But there has got to be an agenda for the needless destruction going on in ND. All of us will suffer the consequences of buahri's ineptitude and ND militancy, it can't be worse than the military era.

If we don't kill this evil party called apc, apc will kill us.

And as for you Mr OP, your post is the musings of a hypocrite and don't hold any water.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 21, 2016
darkenedrebel:

Touché.

But what would you make of the United States?. The population and workforce here is comprised of Whites, Hispanics, Asians, Afro-Americans, Africans, Jews, Canadians etc, but yet dichotomy within the country(save for some exceptions like KKK inter alia) is not as amplified as you would normally expect considering how very multifarious the US is.
The USA was not forged by Hispanics, Asians, Jews or any other people. The method is the people define the direction and how the country want to move in and every other migrant and visitors act accordingly.

The Masons who formed America had in mind the type of country they wanted to create and the principles that will govern this country. They had to suppress the minority Red Indians to achieve this. That's another point I didn't mention. I mean the founding fathers.

Imagine what would have happened to SA if someone like Mugabe was her first President? Or what Zimbabwe would have been if Madiba was their first president? Nigeria and Africa never had many men like this. I mean men who'd define the goal and direction of the country or continent. And you know what made it difficult? The heterogeneity of the heterogenous systems(ideas, religion, culture, etc) of its heterogeneous leaders. Can you merge Rome and Jedda?

darkenedrebel:

What concrete proof do you have to bolster this?.
Libya, Syria, Afghanistan, Hutu and Tutsi Ugandan Genocide, Biafra War, Iraq. You see, America, UK, France, Russia, and other military superpowers(add Turkey and China), don't want nations–third world countries to grow.

Any attempt to regain this lost place is treated disastrous consequences. Ask yourself why NATO left Libya after Gaddafi was killed? Why was he even killed in the first place? He tried to push a Gold backed currency that will see the end of the American dollar. Why did they leave? To let the Misrata and Zawargha tribes to maim each other.

Read Lugards letters you'd understand better. He admitted the northerners, fulanis, as a violent people but he still never allowed the missionaries access to what was then Northern Nigeria. He knew the people were different and he used it as the key to powers. That's simple for any student of power to understand.

darkenedrebel:

I, for one, believe that the whites never gave a hoot about us; neither did they think it prudent to conduct a thorough background check.
Perhaps, if they had furrowed deeper during the incipient stages of colonization, they probably would have understood that the different parts of the now subsumed constituents have very distinct cultures and would be too incongruous to function as a single unit. I think the amalgamation was done unwittingly, and not intentionally contrived to stymie our development as you postulated.

Unwittingly? I laugh. Seems you're still harbouring thoughts of wonderful creatures coming to the rescue of brutes. No. It was wittingly done. The goal was to make sure you never get to be in control of your future. Our future. That's a very powerful idea and I respect their intelligence.

But their morality is filled with holes. There's no atom of morality or goodwill in anything the British ever did her. They knew what different people will achieve. Nothing. They have seen what happened with the Prussian empire. USSR. They knew it was inevitable.

darkenedrebel:

It's so disconcerting that such vile hatred and unhealthy internecine should exist amongst us. There's not a solitude shred of espirit de corps.

The only to overcome it together is the elimination of religion or one dominant religion and elevation of one particular tribe. This is a democracy, that can't work. That's why nations like UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, KSA, Iran are were they are today.

darkenedrebel:

But having numbers is not the only key requirement. Do they also have the wherewithal to at least keep their citizens above the level of subsistence if/when the nation is eventually carved up?. The last time something of that sort happened(Biafra in 1967), it was a sting on the tail.
Yeah. You should try find out yourself why Biafra failed. Why the Aburi Accord was abandoned and why the mighty powers choose their ally. Then you'd understand where I'm coming from. Peace, goodness or justice is not an agenda on their menu.
Re: Where Is Our Nationalism, Where Is Our Patriotism? by plaetton: 4:47pm On May 21, 2016
Dear OP,

Just one question.

Do you sincerely believe that Buhari is a patriotic Nigerian ?

I can give you at least 10 sincere reasons why I think he is not.

And that's the problem.
No matter what you and others may hold against Jonathan or OBJ, there are patriotic Nigerians to the core.
They both ran and oversaw truly pan- Nigerian governments.

Even during the IBB and Abacha years, we had never seen a more divided Nigeria and a more divisive leader than we have today.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Ben Murray Bruce Lashes Back At A Follower For Not Minding His Business. / Buhari Arrives In Nigeria Today After 10-day Medical Trip / EFCC Probes Aisha Buhari’s ₦3.8 Billion Secret House?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.