Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,918 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:15 PM

NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad (1782 Views)

SOS! Nddc 2015 Foriegn PG Scholars Left In Jeopardy / Is Nddc 2015 Scholarship A Scam? Read Me!!! / Agbami scholars. Discussion thread. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad by aalander: 3:57pm On May 21, 2016
I write on behalf of NDDC 2015 Scholars who left NIGERIA in September / October 2015 with hopes of getting paid the sum of $30,000 and an additional N500,000 as take-off grant as stated in our scholarship agreement with the NDDC scholarship board.

As to why we were not paid before our departure, the board told us to 'be patient'. They asked us to borrow funds or find alternatives means to gather money and when they pay us we can then offset our debts. The issue with this is that many of us are from indigent homes. How do we get the funds in the first place If we had those alternatives, will we even be applying for a scholarship? As a result of this, many deferred their admission.

Quite a number of us left to various countries. It's sad to say that the 'first batch' of payment was only made in March to a select 'first batch' of people - that's 6 months after a lot of us resumed school. Many of us who are categorised as 'second batch' have not received either our fees, allowances or even take off grant.

As a result of this, many of us have had to live in uncomfortable housing situations, beg, borrow or work the whole 20 hours a week, as granted on our visa, and often get too tired to even read. Some have been restricted from participation in university activities due to delayed payment of fees. This is a pitiable situation, we have written numerous letters to the Acting DG of NDDC- Mrs Ibim, we have also written to Mrs Sotonye Ordor with no response. Some NDDC staff and consultants simply ask us to 'be patient'...9 months on.

The shocking part of it all is that UK based student who has been paid, get paid between £19,000 - £19, 300 which is not a reflection of the current or even past exchange rate for a scholarship of $30,000.

We demand our money, We demand our Right/Privilege.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad by iphyconsult: 4:06pm On May 21, 2016
This is unacceptable!
Re: NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad by tempest01(m): 4:06pm On May 21, 2016
NDDC scholarship wey them no gree give me....

God pass them...this year, masters should be dusted.
Re: NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad by aalander: 4:15pm On May 21, 2016
We are students in several countries in Europe and America, studying under the NDDC postgraduate scholarship scheme. We began studies in September 2015 and January 2016. Up till now, not a dime has been remitted to us for our daily living expenses. 

Scholars are going through severe hardship due to the fact that they can barely feed nor pay bills in these foreign countries. We have made several efforts to reach the management of NDDC, sent several mails and gotten family members back home to go to the NDDC Headquarters in Port Harcourt to make inquiries. Most times, these efforts were greeted with harsh responses and staff of the NDDC education department claiming not to know anything about payment process. 

They never minced words in telling us how disturbed they feel, by our incessant calls and mails. Most times, they refuse to acknowledge our calls and mails to official lines and the few times we get through to them, we get yelled at. 

We have been practically pushed to the wall, therefore, we have resorted to making our pains public. We want to bring to the view of the general public, the immense corruption, bureaucracy, nonchalant and negligent attitude of the members of the NDDC workforce. Scholars who are meant to spend quality time in the library doing research have become laborers and minimum wage staff in various ware houses and care homes in foreign countries, in other to make ends meet to the detriment of their studies. September 2015 scholars, who are undergoing a masters program will be rounding up in less than 3 months, most of them have already accrued huge debts in a bid to feed and have shelter in school.

The baffling part of this mirage is the fact that NDDC has began a new batch of scholarship program for 2017. The Computer Based Test and interview for the new scholars holds in June. This is very unacceptable, due to the fact that September 2015 scholars and January 2016 scholars have not been paid a dime with which to feed and stay alive in school. If not for their selfish gains, (their 'cuts' from the new fund that will be released for 2017 scholarship scheme), there is absolutely no reason why another batch of scholars should be sent to immense suffering, when about 300 present scholars are yet to be paid.

In as much as we thank the Nigerian Government for giving us the opportunity to study overseas, we kindly demand that our funds be paid to us to alleviate out sufferings in the shortest possible time. We call on all well-meaning Nigerians and activists to throw their weight behind us and speak on our behalf, against the ill-treatment being meted out to us by NDDC which of course has been a trend that should be halted with immediate effect. 

Regards

from NDDC 2015 SCHOLARS OF SEPTEMBER 2015 AND JANUARY 2016
Re: NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad by iphyconsult: 7:15pm On May 21, 2016
Re: NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad by khase24(m): 9:09pm On May 21, 2016
NDDC POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME: A CURSE OR A BLESSING
The NDDC postgraduate scholarship scheme was initiated in 2011 with the mandate of sponsoring suitably qualified indigenes from the Niger Delta region overseas for postgraduate studies and since then the scheme has added value to the region through human capital development.
it was therefore with joy and hope that successful candidates of the 2015 NDDC postgraduate scheme who were selected after a computer based test and rigorous interview session received their scholarship award letters in July 2015.
The joy and hope however has turned to sadness and gloom as between September and today (May 21st 2016) only a handful of scholars have received their tutition while some have not received tuition nor maintenance/upkeep allowance. Most of the scholars took out loans just to be able to make the trip back in September as the management of NDDC promised to disburse the scholarship sum with alacrity and now all of the scholars have resorted to doing menial jobs just to survive to the detriment of their academics. The following questions beg to be answered:
1. Why would NDDC abandon scholars in a foreign land without funds?
2. Why would NDDC initiate the 2016 scholarship scheme when the 2015 scholars have not been paid?
3. Why are the emails and phone calls of scholars to NDDC management not responded to OR returned?
We demand an answer... We demand our rights
Re: NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad by rexington: 9:16pm On May 21, 2016
pls op if u have this problem then it is peculiar to u or a few set of scholars. I am one of those scholar though i had to defer for one year but as i speak to u all my entitlements save for my upkeep (which can only be paid to ur UK account) has been paid even the 500,000 naira. It is true that there was delay but they paid about a month ago. There is an existing facebook and whatsapp page for 2015/16 scholars, you can find out from our other colleagues.
Re: NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad by aalander: 9:25pm On May 21, 2016
It's not peculiar to a few of us. No scholar that started in January 2016 has been paid, and we are over a 100. And just a handful of September 2015 starters has received their maintenance fee.
rexington:
pls op if u have this problem then it is peculiar to u or a few set of scholars. I am one of those scholar though i had to defer for one year but as i speak to u all my entitlements save for my upkeep (which can only be paid to ur UK account) has been paid even the 500,000 naira. It is true that there was delay but they paid about a month ago. There is an existing facebook and whatsapp page for 2015/16 scholars, you can find out from our other colleagues.
Re: NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad by iphyconsult: 2:44am On May 22, 2016
@ rexington, congratulations!

Does it sound fair to know you differed your admission and you've received all your payments while we have many scholars roasting in cold at their respective universities.

Even if the payments were in batches, I strongly believed preference should be giving to those already in their universities.

Try and feel others pain, when back are against the wall in nomansland,...
Re: NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad by ProsperUSA: 6:37am On May 22, 2016
Morning - Corruption

Afternoon - corruption

Night - corruption

Corruption all the way until Nigeria is no more!
Re: NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad by rexington: 3:09am On May 23, 2016
aalander:
It's not peculiar to a few of us. No scholar that started in January 2016 has been paid, and we are over a 100. And just a handful of September 2015 starters has received their maintenance fee.
i was due to start in september 2015 before i deferred to september 2016 probable that is why i was among the first batch. find out about the whatapp page and facebook page u might get some tips. we are about 210 scholars and that whatapp group has over 100 members.
Re: NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad by rexington: 3:16am On May 23, 2016
iphyconsult:
@ rexington, congratulations!

Does it sound fair to know you differed your admission and you've received all your payments while we have many scholars roasting in cold at their respective universities.

Even if the payments were in batches, I strongly believed preference should be giving to those already in their universities.

Try and feel others pain, when back are against the wall in nomansland,...
Am not saying it is fair but when i did my clearance i used september 2015 admission but i had to defer when i could not get visa at short notice, that should be why i was among the first batch. If he/she has this problem i referred him to an existing whatapps group of scholars to confirm if am lying. It is true that NDDC always delays in paying but this current years own has been payed in the month of march/april 2016.
Re: NDDC 2015 Scholars Left Stranded Abroad by scrupulousblog: 2:10am On Jun 01, 2016
rexington:

What 500,000 are you referring to?

(1) (Reply)

Jamb Suicide / Unical Security Open Fire On Medical Students Over Kidnap Of Sug President / Microsoft Azure AZ-302 Exam Practice Questions PDF - AZ-302 Dumps PDF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.