Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,408 members, 7,822,886 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:44 PM

How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff (30315 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan Arrives PDP Convention In Abuja (Photos) / Governor Yahaya Bello Joins Christian Convention In Kogi As He Runs Into Them / Ali Modu Sheriff Greets Wike At PDP Meeting With Jonathan (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by boman2014: 8:02am On May 22, 2016
The crisis within the national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party is far from over, with Ali Modu Sheriff claiming he remained the national chairman of the party, despite being sacked by a national convention.
Mr. Sheriff was sacked at the PDP convention held on Saturday in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and the National Executive Committee which he headed, replaced with a caretaker committee.
Inuwa Bwala, the spokesperson for Mr. Sheriff, told PREMIUM TIMES around 8.41pm on Saturday that Mr. Sheriff remained opposed to what happened at the Port Harcourt convention, since he had announced its suspension after consulting with members of the National Working Committee of the party.
“Immediately the chairman (Sheriff) received another court injunction, he called a meeting of the National Working Committee and told them that it wasn’t safe to continue with the convention of the party, especially since the court had forbidden elections virtually into all the offices,” Mr. Bwala said.
“He announced the suspension of the convention at a press briefing, only for some people to go behind and claim that there was convention.
“There was no organ of the party that was represented at the convention.
“The convention was cancelled, and it remains cancelled until such a time the matters in court are resolved, for us to convene another national convention.”
Mr. Bwala said Mr. Sheriff remained the national chairman of the PDP, going by the pronouncement of the court.
“The court had said the office of the chairman would become vacant only in 2018, and that is parts of the reasons we shelved the convention,” said Mr. Bwala.
When asked why the Rivers State governor, Nyesom Wike, and the Senate Minority Leader, Godwill Akpabio, parted ways with Mr. Sheriff, Mr. Bwala responded, “Some of them wanted to go on with the convention even with the subsisting court orders, and Sheriff said no. And that was their point of departure.”
Mr. Bwala said Mr. Sheriff felt betrayed in Port Harcourt.
“Naturally, you will feel betrayed if you are working with some people, only for them to go behind you to work against what you all agreed to do.”
The motion to sack Mr. Sheriff was moved at the convention by Mr. Akpabio, at the Port Harcourt Civic Centre.
In his motion, Mr. Akpabio, a former governor of Akwa Ibom State, asked the convention to approve the appointment of a committee to manage the affairs of the PDP for a period not exceeding 90 days.
“The committee shall be known as the National Caretaker Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party,” Mr. Akpabio said, while addressing delegates at the convention.
Mr. Akpabio said the caretaker committee would also work to foster peace and reconciliation of all party members, as part of its terms of reference.
The motion was seconded by the Governor of Gombe State, Ibrahim Dankwambo, thereby paving the way for the election of a seven-man caretaker committee headed by the former governor of Kaduna State, Ahmed Makarfi.
The voice vote was conducted by the Rivers State governor, Nyesom Wike.
Ben Obi, who represents the South East in the caretaker committee, is the secretary. Other members of the committee include Odion Ugbesia, a former senator from Edo State, and Abdul Ahmed Ningi, from Bauchi.
The convention, which had all the 12 governors of the PDP-controlled states in attendance, went up till about 6pm.
There was an understanding that no member of the caretaker committee would contest for election into the National Executive Committee.
The immediate past senate president, David Mark, was present at the convention.
The Speaker, Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly, Onofiok Luke, told PREMIUM TIMES that what happened at the Port Harcourt convention was “for the purpose of inclusion.”
Mr. Luke said, “The convention was fixed by NEC, and therefore it is only NEC that has the power to suspend the convention.

“I am a loyal party man. So, I go with the party.”
As the convention drew to a close around 6 pm, delegates hurried out of the venue even before the national anthem was sang, and the idle ballot boxes, beautifully designed, stood out as a reminded that the biggest opposition party in Africa still had a major inconclusive business at hand.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/203874-i-betrayed-pdps-national-convention-port-harcourt-ali-modu-sheriff.html

1 Like

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by CUM4WHAT(m): 8:04am On May 22, 2016
Sooooo wah shud we do?

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by gwales: 8:10am On May 22, 2016
Mantu chairman - northerner
Makarfi chairman - northerner
SAS chairman - northerner

And by 2019 Biafrans must vote for a northerner by fire by force

92 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by smarthG(f): 8:13am On May 22, 2016
The fight amongst PDP is unhealthy and not in Nigerias interest.

Before nest election, a party that will save Nigeria will come up. And God wll help Nigeria get over these fantastically lustfulness of our power hongered theifs.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by Luckylife(m): 8:14am On May 22, 2016
By force or by fire!
Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by nnachukz(m): 8:18am On May 22, 2016
PDP should learn now. Acts like this was what destroyed this party, not even the propaganda sold to the public by APC.

5 Likes

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:22am On May 22, 2016
All I can say is that PDP is united. no division

It is well

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by modath(f): 8:22am On May 22, 2016
Kowa , Over to you......

One thing is sure PDP has lost the plot, you can't have 3 different factions and provide viable opposition to favour the masses, one or two factions will sell out..

BTW, Where is Fayose? The architect of this PDP house of commotion drama?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by malton: 8:24am On May 22, 2016
PDP wants to chop and clean mouth. Dem no know say awuf dey run belle.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by Achuwa1(m): 8:26am On May 22, 2016
the pdp ticket should go to middle belt,,,thankGOD the storm is over..
zombies wount like the news

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by debris: 8:30am On May 22, 2016
yes
Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by modath(f): 8:30am On May 22, 2016

The crisis within the national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party is far from over, with Ali Modu Sheriff claiming he remained the national chairman of the party, despite being sacked by a national convention.

Mr. Sheriff was sacked at the PDP convention held on Saturday in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, and the National Executive Committee which he headed, replaced with a caretaker committee.

Inuwa Bwala, the spokesperson for Mr. Sheriff, told PREMIUM TIMES around 8.41pm on Saturday that Mr. Sheriff remained opposed to what happened at the Port Harcourt convention, since he had announced its suspension after consulting with members of the National Working Committee of the party.

“Immediately the chairman (Sheriff) received another court injunction, he called a meeting of the National Working Committee and told them that it wasn’t safe to continue with the convention of the party, especially since the court had forbidden elections virtually into all the offices,” Mr. Bwala said.

“He announced the suspension of the convention at a press briefing, only for some people to go behind and claim that there was convention.

“There was no organ of the party that was represented at the convention.

“The convention was cancelled, and it remains cancelled until such a time the matters in court are resolved, for us to convene another national convention.”

Mr. Bwala said Mr. Sheriff remained the national chairman of the PDP, going by the pronouncement of the court.

“The court had said the office of the chairman would become vacant only in 2018, and that is parts of the reasons we shelved the convention,” said Mr. Bwala.

When asked why the Rivers State governor, Nyesom Wike, and the Senate Minority Leader, Godwill Akpabio, parted ways with Mr. Sheriff, Mr. Bwala responded, “Some of them wanted to go on with the convention even with the subsisting court orders, and Sheriff said no. And that was their point of departure.”

Mr. Bwala said Mr. Sheriff felt betrayed in Port Harcourt.

“Naturally, you will feel betrayed if you are working with some people, only for them to go behind you to work against what you all agreed to do.”

The motion to sack Mr. Sheriff was moved at the convention by Mr. Akpabio, at the Port Harcourt Civic Centre.

In his motion, Mr. Akpabio, a former governor of Akwa Ibom State, asked the convention to approve the appointment of a committee to manage the affairs of the PDP for a period not exceeding 90 days.
, went up till about 6pm.

As the convention drew to a close around 6 pm, delegates hurried out of the venue even before the national anthem was sang, and the idle ballot boxes, beautifully designed, stood out as a reminded that the biggest opposition party in Africa still had a major inconclusive business at hand.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by Fmartin(m): 8:34am On May 22, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

It is well
i guess one need to re-define the word 'united'.

I don't see an iota of unity in PDP.

All i can see is Power tussle.

18 Likes

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by dimieprincess(f): 9:19am On May 22, 2016
SAS is an over fed fool

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:23am On May 22, 2016
Fmartin:
i guess one need to re-define the word 'united'.

I don't see an iota of unity in PDP.

All i can see is Power tussle.
Internal power tussle is not same as division

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by Nobody: 9:23am On May 22, 2016
modath:

Kowa , Over to you......

One thing is sure PDP has lost the plot, you can't have 3 different factions and provide viable opposition to favour the masses, one or two factions will sell out..

BTW, Where is Fayose? The architect of this PDP house of commotion drama?
Who told you the factions cannot coalesce? Talks are being held which hopefully will lead to a better PDP.
I know you fervently wish for the extinction of the PDP but it won't happen.
The PDP remains the biggest opposition party in the country and a potent threat to your beloved party--the APC.
The PDP will rise to its once enviable height again and it will shock all doomsayers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by PRYCE(m): 9:33am On May 22, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Any story wey start with "How" eh, is lined with lot's of Lies! [quote author=modath post=45853781 /quote] This girl again with Off point analysis undecided!

1 Like

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by modath(f): 9:37am On May 22, 2016
bejeiodus:
Who told you the factions cannot coalesce? Talks are being held which hopefully will lead to a better PDP.
I know you fervently wish for the extinction of the PDP but it won't happen.
The PDP remains the biggest opposition party in the country and a potent threat to your beloved party--the APC.
The PDP will rise to its once enviable height again and it will shock all doomsayers.

PDP live or dead don't make much difference, too many giant egos, unbridled greed and lack of clear goals are the main issues bedeviling the party, until they find a way to manage those vices, then they can attack "doomsayers"

Let's watch the course of PDP's many captains trying to stir one ship and see where it will berth....

I watched Ibrahim Mantu and Tunde Adeniran on Focus Nigeria, any talks that doesn't center around giving PDP to the "old members" to manage is an exercise in futility.. & are the governors ready to relinquish control and face their primary business of managing their states?

BTW, How and why did they allow Fayose to railroad them into making so many gaffes?

6 Likes

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by dimieprincess(f): 9:42am On May 22, 2016
modath:

PDP live or dead don't make much difference, too many giant egos, unbridled greed and lack of clear goals are the main issues bedeviling the party, until they find a way to manage those vices, then they can attack "doomsayers"

Let's watch the course of PDP's many captains trying to stir one ship and see where it will berth....

I watched Ibrahim Mantu and Tunde Adeniran on Focus Nigeria, any talks that doesn't center around giving PDP to the "old members" to manage is an exercise in futility.. & are the governors ready to relinquish control and face their primary business of managing their states?

BTW, How and why did they allow Fayose to railroad them into making so many gaffes?
Yeah, I wrote and pasted a thread but wailers and zombies running from it because I disparate both APC & PDP
Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by IamPatriotic(m): 9:50am On May 22, 2016
The only crisis rocking is the non availability of yams to share by the goats, since that was the premises of their strength and unity.

5 Likes

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by seunmsg(m): 10:04am On May 22, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

It is well

Yeah, they are united into three factions.

Feedeefee, Chanji de Chanji grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by Nobody: 10:17am On May 22, 2016
modath:

The talks being held are geared towards resolving all lingering issues. It is good that everyone is being allowed to speak and give their own vision for the PDP. The end result of all of these would be a party more united in opposition than it was as a ruling party.
The many captains fighting for the wheel of the ship will learn to queue behind an elected captain soon. Trust me, the PDP will pull a rabbit out of the hat soon.

Fayose was able to pull the wool over many eyes because they thought he had the good intentions. Now the veil has funny and his ugly spots have been seen.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by dridowu: 10:39am On May 22, 2016
Betrayal or not, one thing is certain 99% of iPodians must vote gworo chewing abo.ki in 2019 either from APC or PDP

7 Likes

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by Nobody: 10:40am On May 22, 2016
I pray this problem is resolved smoothly I hate to see my party beloved in this state
Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by omowolewa: 10:54am On May 22, 2016
Resignation no dey your dictionary?

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:06am On May 22, 2016
seunmsg:

Yeah, they are united into three factions.
Feedeefee, Chanji de Chanji grin
Cry Cry Seun grin

1 Like

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:07am On May 22, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
It is well

You guys are funny. You expect Ali Modu Sheriff to just roll over and forget his ouster. I dey laugh.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by otokx(m): 11:11am On May 22, 2016
The south south/south east should be chairman of the party especially as the presidential candidate will be from the north.

Anything else is unacceptable.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by Fmartin(m): 11:24am On May 22, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
so u are trying to convince me that APC is united

1 Like

Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:31am On May 22, 2016
Fmartin:
so u are trying to convince me that APC is united
This is not like APC
Volksfuhrer:

You guys are funny. You expect Ali Modu Sheriff to just roll over and forget his ouster. I dey laugh.
It is wel
Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by BankeSmalls(f): 11:32am On May 22, 2016
Ok bh
Re: How I Was Betrayed At Pdp’s National Convention In Port Harcourt —sheriff by smsshola(m): 11:40am On May 22, 2016
Hmmm so how are we involve?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina / Abdulsalami Abubakar Visits Governor Wike In Rivers State(Photos) / Reno Omokri At The Age Of 6 (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.