Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,713 members, 7,809,702 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires (30277 Views)

Nigeria Has Highest Number Of Extremely Poor People In The World / Dora Akunyili Had The Highest Number Of Awards In Nigeria / 5 Governors Who Were Already Billionaires Before They Assumed Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by Ilovemystate: 1:31am On May 23, 2016
[
YorubaHighness:

[s]olodo are they billionaires?

Anyway, many Yoruba millionaires missing on that pae. i.e Okoya, Deji Adeleke etc[/s].

10 Nigerian Billionaire Oil Tycoons To Watch

he petroleum industry in Nigeria in the largest industry in the country and the main GDP generator in the continent’s most populous nation. Since the British discovered oil in the Niger Delta in the late 1950s, the oil industry has been crucial to Nigeria’s development. Marred by political and economic strife in the past, international attention in the 1990s saw a reform of the sector which has produced some of Africa’s richest men. Tom Jackson profiles ten of them below.

Theophilus Danjuma (South Atlantic Petroleum)

Danjuma, 72, has a net worth of $600 million made through the 2006 sale for $1.7 billion of an oil block he was given by the regime of former Nigerian President Sani Abacha to a Chinese consortium. A former defence minister, Danjuma is chairman of oil exploration firm South Atlantic Petroleum. He is also the country’s biggest philanthropist, having endowed his charity, the TY Danjuma Foundation, with $100 million. He also advises President Goodluck Jonathan on state matters.

Prince Arthur Eze (Oranto Petroleum) Anambra

Prince Arthur Eze is the Chairman and CEO of Atlas Oranto Petroleum International Limited, as well as holding positions on various other boards in different sectors across Nigeria. His company has secured significant upstream positions in frontier plays in Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Togo, Ivory Coast, Chad, Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea. He is also a notable philanthropist.

His company has various technical partners, ranging from Roc Oil, Pioneer Natural Resources of the USA, Canoxy, Transworld of the USA, LukOil of Russia, Tetra, Noble, Kosmos Energy of the USA, Petronas of Malaysia, DNO of Norway, TransAtlantic Petroleum of the USA and Canada’s Nexen. He has been active behind the scenes on the political stage since the early 90’s.

Mike Adenuga (Conoil Producing)

The 59-year-old Mike Adenuga has a reputation as a reclusive tycoon, but his company Conoil Producing was the first Nigerian company to strike oil in commercial quantities in the early 1990s. It is now the country’s largest oil exploration firm, and Adenuga has a net worth of $4.3 billion. His other business interests include Globacom, the country’s second largest mobile telecom operator. Another tycoon to have hit big through links with a Nigerian president, in this case, Ibrahim Babangida, he made his first million at the age of 26 selling lace and distributing soft drinks.

Tonye Cole (Sahara Energy)

Cole is the Managing Director of Sahara Energy Resource Limited, which he co-founded in 1996 with his friends Tope Shonubi and Ade Odunsi. Sahara Energy started out as an oil and gas company whose core business at the time was the trading of excess fuel oil from the Port Harcourt and Warri refineries. It later moved away from being a middleman to become an established trading house diversifying into storage depots and vessel ownership as well as building depots in Lagos, Onne and Abuja with a combined capacity of 55,000 metric tonnes and a fleet of five vessels moving products across West Africa. Today, Sahara Energy is a major employer of labour with staff strength of just over 300 people.

Femi Otedola (African Petroleum/Zenon)

CEO of African Petroleum Plc (now Forte Oil Plc), Otedola appeared as one of only two Nigerians (the other was Aliko Dangote) to appear on the 2009 Forbes list of 793 dollar billionaires in the world, worth over $1.2 billion. Though his fortunes have slightly declined since, he remains a hugely rich man with much influence in the Nigerian oil sector.

He is also the owner of multi-billionnaira indigenous oil giant Zenon. Zenon, which is directly run by Otedola, is the dominant force in the diesel business among oil marketing concerns. It supplies diesel to power the generating sets of most Nigerian industries and nearly all the major manufacturing firms in the country. These include Dangote Group, Cadbury, Coca Cola, Nigerian Breweries, MTN, Unilever, Nestle, Guinness and others.

Tunde Folawiyo (Folawiyo Oil And Gas)

Folawiyo serves as the Managing Director of Yinka Folawiyo Power, and holds directorships with various other firms across all sectors. He lives his life away from the limelight, but is known to live in extreme luxury. He holds degrees from the London School of Economics and University College London.

Mohammed Indimi (Oriental Energy Resources)

A close ally of prominent figures in the Nigerian military, Indimi founded and now chairs Oriental Energy Resources, an offshore oil exploration and production company. It currently has three offshore oil and gas products, with daily production of 35,000 barrels. After over twenty years in the sector Indimi has established himself at the 30th richest man in Africa, with a notable international presence.

Ifeanyi Ubah (Capital Oil) Anambra

A tycoon who is probably best known for taking out adverts on the front pages of major newspapers to herald the celebration of his 40th birthday, Ubah’s company, Capital Oil, is said to have the biggest and most modern depot in Nigeria. With 28 loading bays, Capital is the only indigenous downstream player capable of pumping out 55 million litres of petroleum products each day.

ABC Orjiakor (Seplat Petroleum) Anambra

A trained surgeon, Orjiakor has now worked in the oil and gas sector for over 25 years. At Seplat he spears new business development and works on strategic stakeholder relationships. He has his own philanthropic foundation, and had links with former Nigerian military president Ibrahim Babangida.

Phillip Ihenacho (Seven Energy)

Executive Chairman of Seven Energy, Ihenacho is also the co-founder of investment firm Amaya Capital Partners. A graduate of Harvard and Yale, he is a believer that local companies should be at the forefront of Nigerian oil exploration.

http://venturesafrica.com/10-nigerian-billionaire-oil-tycoons-to-watch-pt-1/
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by Ilovemystate: 1:41am On May 23, 2016
Uju Ihejirika one of the six most powerful women in oil and Gas in the world

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/top-6-most-powerful-women-in-oil-and-gas-cm502914
Top 6 Most Powerful Women In Oil And Gas in the world
By Andrew Topf for Oilprice.com

When it comes to glass ceilings, there is probably none tougher to crack than the oil and gas industry. For decades the corner office has been the preserve of alpha-male CEOs with a high tolerance for risk.

Today, the maxim still holds true. In Oilprice.com's list of the 12 richest oil and gas tycoons, not one is a woman. Recently though, Vicki Hollub, a 33-year veteran with Occidental Petroleum, made American corporate history by becoming the first female CEO of a major U.S. oil company.

Hollub, 55, will assume assume control of Occidental's global oil and gas business, replacing current chief executive Stephen Chazen who will step down at the 2016 AGM.

“The board selected Vicki based on her strong track record of successfully growing our domestic oil and gas business profitably and efficiently,” Occidental said in a statement announcing her promotion. According to Bloomberg, Hollub was paid $3.66 million in 2014, including a $516,697 salary plus stock options. The Alabama-trained mineral engineer oversaw wells in Texas and other U.S. states that reaped $12 billion.

Much ink has been spilt over why more women haven't cracked the glass ceiling in America, including a new Pew Research report that explores perceptions about women's ability to lead companies. Among the findings: 50 percent of women and 35 percent of men agree that many businesses aren't ready to hire women for top executive positions. Another study drilled down into the backgrounds of 277 CEOs from the largest publicly-traded U.S. and international oil and gas companies. It found that the most likely reason for the dearth of female oil and gas chief executives is the lack of women studying engineering – the most common path to the industry's executive boardrooms. In 2013, only about 13 percent of engineers were female. The good news for women is that the number of CEOs in the industry is expected to increase as more enter the engineering field.

While the 2014 study found that only 1 percent of oil and gas companies surveyed were led by women, a search one year later finds Hollub in good company, with a number of women occupying perhaps not the corner office, but one with a pretty sweet view nonetheless. Following, in no particular order, are women who exert considerable power and influence in the oil and gas industry today:

Mariana Gheorghe, CEO, Petrom.

Ranked 19th in Fortune magazine's 2014 list of most powerful women in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, Mariana Gheorghe is considered one of the most influential women in Eastern Europe. The 59-year-old was the first female CEO of Romanian oil and gas group Petrom. After completing degrees in law, economics and corporate finance, Gheorghe worked for the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development form 1993 to 2006, when she took the helm of Petrom.

Ceri Powell, Global Head of Exploration, Royal Dutch Shell.

According to Fortune, Ceri Powell in 2013 became the highest-ranking female executive at Shell when she took charge of the group's global exploration. She is 21st on Fortune's list of most powerful women cited above. Originally from Wales, Powell holds a doctorate in structural geology and joined Shell in 1990. She held numerous positions at Shell in exploration and new business development before undertaking her current post, where she has led new discoveries in Australia, Malaysia, Nigeria, the Gulf of Mexico and Albania, according to Fortune.

Debra Reed, CEO, board chairman, Sempra Energy.

Graduating summa cum laude from the University of Southern California with an undergrad in civil engineering, Reed joined SoCalGas in 1978 and became the company's first female officer 10 years later. As one of 25 female CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, Reed was recognized as one of the magazine's “50 Most Powerful Women in Business” from 2011 to 2014. Salary.com has Reed pulling in $8.85 million in 2014, including base pay of $1.12 million. Reed also serves on the boards of Halliburton and Caterpillar.

Trudy Curran, senior vice-president, general counsel and corporate secretary, Canadian Oil Sands Ltd.

With a background in securities and corporate finance law, Trudy Curran joined Canadian Oil Sands in 2002 after holding senior positions with EnCana, Canadian Pacific Limited and now-defunct Canadian Airlines. In 2012, Curran received a Scotiabank Corporate Executives Award and was ranked second out of the Top 100 Most Powerful Women in Canada, behind No. 1 Amiee Chan, president and CEO of Norsat.

Catherine Uju Ifejika, chairman and CEO, Brittania-U Limited.

In terms of female representation in the upper echelons of oil and gas, Nigeria may be an outlier. and is seeing a growing number of female oil industry bosses. One of them is Catherine Uju Ifejika, chairman and chief executive of Brittania U Limited, an oil exploration and production company. After graduating with a law degree, Uju Ifejika took a job as junior counsel with Texaco, then became Company Secretary Public and Government Affairs for West Africa. In 2001, she set up Brittania-U with N10 million (USD$50,251) in severance pay from her former employer and a USD$115,577 loan.

The company is currently suing Chevron over the sale of three oil mining leases, for which Brittania-U paid $765 million in 2013. A recent feature on Uju Ifejika, who is described as one of the richest women in Africa, has the oil tycoon dismissing those who criticize her rise to power despite a lack of background in petroleum engineering: “I’m not a geologist and I have never worked in exploration and production,” she told Fascinating Nigeria. “The only thing I know is how to take something that is nothing and create something out of it that you can see and appreciate … Not being an engineer or a geologist was immaterial. Today I speak the language of the geologist, I can interpret the maps and when they bring in technical things we look at them together – because I was able to rise above my fear level.”

This article was originally published on Oilprice.com.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by hausadreturn(m): 3:21am On May 23, 2016
OBAFEMIawolowo:
Abia and Ogun should make tje list.

Abia: ugah,otti and orji kalu

Ogun: adenuga, alakija and otedola.
i thought Alakija's from Oyo?
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by hausadreturn(m): 3:25am On May 23, 2016
something just aint right about this post.
abuja, lagos, port-harcourt. Na wa o.
>
or was it so that we could view the fine face?
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by Balaspa100: 3:26am On May 23, 2016
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by ovieigho(m): 3:39am On May 23, 2016
QuotaSystem:
The OP obviously doesn't know what a billionaire means.

There are only 2 kinds of billionaires in Nigeria;

Those on FORBES list (Aliko Dangote, Adenuga, Otedola, Abdulsamad Rabiu, Alakija) and OTHERS.
forget Forbes and let's quote billionaires in naira.... .is not easy, even if some of these people haven't made Forbes list as billionare in dollars,I still respect them as a billionaire in naira
atiku
coscharis
sir emeka offor
sunny odogwu
nuel ojei
jimoh Ibrahim
Ayiri emami
etc........
NB. we have over 1million (people) billionaires in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by YorubaHighness: 4:04am On May 23, 2016
ovieigho:
forget Forbes and let's quote billionaires in naira.... .is not easy, even if some of these people haven't made Forbes list as billionare in dollars,I still respect them as a billionaire in naira
atiku
coscharis
sir emeka offor
sunny odogwu
nuel ojei
jimoh Ibrahim
Ayiri emami
etc........
NB. we have over 1million (people) billionaires in Nigeria

Ibos cant account for the sources of their wealth na. Why would Forbes put drug dealers and oil thieves on their list?
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by Poweredbreww: 4:43am On May 23, 2016
Ogun state alone dwarf all this nonsense list. God bless the people of Ogun.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by Mrbigman1(m): 5:37am On May 23, 2016
buharisbae:

stop derailing this thread mynd44 pls help delete this thanks

Candy. U re everywhere I go.

Nice to meet u here.
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by ovieigho(m): 7:10am On May 23, 2016
YorubaHighness:

Ibos cant account for the sources of their wealth na. Why would Forbes put drug dealers and oil thieves on their list?
but we are not talking Forbes here meanwhile Forbes once listed Jim ovia, tony elumelu and orji uzo kalu
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by skimmy005: 9:10am On May 23, 2016
d list is rubbish... wia is EDO state?.. idiot..
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by Nobody: 11:28am On May 23, 2016
buharisbae:
According to my research the list go as this :

1.Anambra

2.Abuja

3.Lagos

4.Port Harcourt

5.kano

6.Enugu

7.Ibadan

8.Delta

9.Cross river

10.Sokoto

what's ur own opinion?
cc. lalasticlala

So Ibadan and Port Harcourt are states? by the way how did you come up with this list? By writing without research and facts?

Anu npama
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by legendte(m): 1:41pm On Jun 04, 2016
Immunity1:
with your useless certificate tell me what you have acquire that i lack many of u guys always spew rubbish to anyone you meet on social media without any regard if you know the person you are dealing with you will not stop kissing my shoe nitwit
Fool spotted. Any time I hear 'do you know me', I don't bother to make enquiries. That is the easiest way to spot a nobody. You derailed a topic by saying that a fugitive can buy the whole of south east. You showed the level of your ignorance making it glaring to the blind and the guy spotted it. The next thing for you to do was to ask do you know me. Quota system has really dealt a heavy blow to our educational system. calling you a fool is like seeing a naked man on the street and asking if he is insane.
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by legendte(m): 1:43pm On Jun 04, 2016
Immunity1:
with your useless certificate tell me what you have acquire that i lack many of u guys always spew rubbish to anyone you meet on social media without any regard if you know the person you are dealing with you will not stop kissing my shoe nitwit
Fool spotted. Any time I hear 'do you know me', I don't bother to make enquiries. That is the easiest way to spot a nobody. You derailed a topic by saying that a fugitive can buy the whole of south east. You showed the level of your ignorance making it glaring to the blind and the guy spotted it. The next thing for you to do was to ask do you know me. Quota system has really dealt a heavy blow to our educational system. calling you a fool is like seeing an unclad man on the street and asking if he is insane.
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by Apoztl3(m): 9:49am On Aug 24, 2017
SweetGuy225:

Samuel Maduka Onyishi. Do you know who he is?
Not forgetting "Emperor Baywood" in Isu-Awa
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by Obdk: 10:56am On Aug 24, 2017
Immunity1:
Where is ogun state in your list buruji kasamu can buy the whole of southeast.

afonjas celebrating drug dealer
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by kettykin: 11:12am On Aug 24, 2017
buharisbae:
According to my research the list go as this :

1.Anambra

2.Abuja

3.Lagos

4.Port Harcourt

5.kano

6.Enugu

7.Ibadan

8.Delta

9.Cross river

10.Sokoto

what's ur own opinion?
cc. lalasticlala
1 billionaire in Kano is richer then the remaining Billionaires in the list
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by lawani: 11:01am On Aug 22, 2023
Resident HNIs are evenly distributed meaning Ibadan will have more than Onitsha. Anambra can not have more than Osun since population is similar and both have sectors they specialize in. Osun infact have more sectors and Anambra is ahead mainly in some wholesales trading and mass production of clothes. Osun is ahead in agro allied. HNIs will be similar in number. Dollar billionaires are propped up by the stock exchange most of the times and your real size is how many people work in your corporation and how much of the corporation is yours. That is your real size. HNIs are evenly spread all over the world
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by hakeemhakeem(m): 1:37pm On Aug 22, 2023
prelinctus:

Donald Duke, Liyel Imoke

Billionaire without a visible businesses, these two are politician
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by Ttipsy(f): 2:23pm On Aug 22, 2023
State and capital

Lol
Re: Top 10 States With The Highest Number Of Billionaires by Longinyamapucci(m): 2:38pm On Aug 22, 2023
QuotaSystem:

Who's the richest black man on earth and richest billionaire in Africa? Alhaji Aliko Dangote= Not Ibo

Who is the 2nd richest Nigerian billionaire on the Forbes list? Otunba Adenuga = Not Ibo

Who is the 3rd richest Nigerian on the Forbes list? Folorunsho Alakija = Not Ibo

Who is the 4th richest Nigerian on the Forbes list? Theophilus Danjuma = Not Ibo

Who is the 5th richest Nigerian on the Forbes list? Femi Otedola = Not Ibo

.....Top 5 no show...lets try one more smiley

Who is the 6th richest Nigerian on the Forbes list? Abdulsamad Rabiu (BUA) = Hausa Fulani Dollar Billionaire cheesy

Unlike the OP that pulled their list from their butthole, these are cold hard verifiable facts. You can only hate.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mfonobongnsehe/2016/03/01/the-black-billionaires-2016/#4ac4a17a30a8
http://www.africaranking.com/richest-people-in-nigeria/5/

Forget your yeye Forbes not every one is obsessed with it. Orji kalu tony elumelu etc once made that list..those people you listed couldn't change your poor general look still you are underdeveloped.

Without eastern region Niger Delta oil they are no where. Watch out soon.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Onnoghen: NBA Urges National Assembly To Save Nigeria / Dangote, Yahaya Bello Meet In Aso Rock To Resolve Obajana Ownership Tussle / What Atiku Said In 2014 Before Joining APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.