Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Has Called Off Its Nationwide Strike. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Has Called Off Its Nationwide Strike. (764 Views)

Tony Elumelu And Aliko Dangote Hosts America's Congress Members / Nigeria’s Labour Productivity Surges By 10.8% / Dangote To List Dangote Refinery On The Nigeria Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Has Called Off Its Nationwide Strike. by Kangol99(m): 9:03pm On May 22, 2016
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has called off its nationwide strike.

The action which was taken on Wednesday failed to gain much traction. Speaking with journalists on Sunday, Ayuba Wabba president of the NLC, said that the union decided to suspend the action after making wide consultations.

“After an exhaustive deliberation, NEC noted its protest action was informed by the twin issues of the unjustified and illegal hike in electricity tariff and increase in the pump price of petroleum products,”he said.

“In consideration of the above, NEC after due consultation with its constituents resolved to suspend with immediate effect, the action it commenced on Wednesday, May 18, 2016. The action is thus hereby suspended.” According to Wabba, the union resolved to resume negotiations with the government on the new petrol price regime.

After unfruitful negotiations with the government over the increase in the price of petrol from N86.5 to N145, the NLC embarked on a nationwide industrial action and protests. But the Trade Union Congress (TUC) and a faction of the NLC led by Joe Ajaero pulled out of the action.

The decision of the NLC is coming just two days after Bola Tinubu, national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), appealed to the union to suspend the action.

Source: https://www.thecable.ng/breaking-nlc-calls-off-nationwide-strike

Cc: lalasticlala, Seun

Re: The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Has Called Off Its Nationwide Strike. by kropelgrada(m): 9:08pm On May 22, 2016
Was there even any strike action? Hell,is there even an NLC? From now on that name is now synonymous to a joke. They should be ashamed of themselves for letting the masses down.
Re: The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Has Called Off Its Nationwide Strike. by Nobody: 9:15pm On May 22, 2016
I have only one word to describe them 'assholes'
Re: The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Has Called Off Its Nationwide Strike. by talktonase(m): 9:16pm On May 22, 2016
NLC has failed us...
Re: The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Has Called Off Its Nationwide Strike. by hopeforcharles(m): 9:30pm On May 22, 2016
talktonase:
NLC has failed us...
Let's wait till Monday before we conclude, by the way do u want the strike to continue forever? I believe they are dialoging with the FG. Patience my peeps
Re: The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Has Called Off Its Nationwide Strike. by tonytony208(m): 10:49pm On May 22, 2016
Please change your title. It is not "called off"; it is "suspended"
Re: The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) Has Called Off Its Nationwide Strike. by Nobody: 5:42am On May 23, 2016
They are a bunch of fools! This is what happens when groups allow themselves to be used as political tools. We are watching

(1) (Reply)

My Mum Ask Me To Name A Business I Want To Be Doing / Unripe Plantain Flour Processing Plant Urgently Needed! / A Neat Camry For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.