Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half Of A Yellow Sun - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half Of A Yellow Sun (2955 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Bags Decade's Best Female Authored / Chimamanda Ngozi-adichie Celebrates Her 38th Birthday Today / Link To Download Half Of A Yellow Sun Book (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half Of A Yellow Sun by Suzanne84(f): 8:51pm On Nov 21, 2006
I haven't read Adichie's second novel although i've read several reviews online. It's set against the backdrop of the Nigerian civil war.The good news is that a more affordable West African edition of the novel has been published by Farafina publishers in Lagos.It goes for 1,500 naira per copy and is available in bookshops nationwide. I'm a great fan of Adichie's and if critics are correct,her sophomore effort is even better than her debut.I can't wait to read it, guys, what are you waiting for? Happy reading smiley
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half Of A Yellow Sun by nanaboi(m): 2:55pm On Nov 22, 2006
Suzanne,
r u a student?
D'u write too or d'u just read?
B/4 I know all of that, I think u shud know that we have 2 things in common already - we both enjoyed Purple Hibiscus and can hardly wait to check this new one.

I'm Nuel by the way.
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half Of A Yellow Sun by Seun(m): 1:59pm On Nov 23, 2006
Here's the problem I have with books, which drove me away from book publishing:
- How can you expect a Nigerian to buy a book for 1500 when a Nollywood movie (video+audio) costs 450 naira?
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half Of A Yellow Sun by Suzanne84(f): 12:39pm On Nov 24, 2006
Nuel, to satisfy your curiosity i'm a corper.I'm an avid reader although i wrote several unpublished books and stories as a child, i've suffered from writer's block for a coupla years now.I guess writing is just not my calling, so i've decided to stick to reading. wink
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half Of A Yellow Sun by nanaboi(m): 11:21am On Dec 15, 2006
Ah, Corper Suzanne! Which state u dey? Dont tell me it's Zamfara please. Tho I know it's no longer as notorious as it was.

"Writer's block" - ok
"not that good a writer" - that's for your reader's to discern. Have you ever had any serious work of yours criticised? I mean criticism in the literary sense.
If not, then why are u afraidof trying?
I wud suggest u take ur mind off trying to write a work that is comparable to a certain standard u feel is high enough 4 a reader ur class to respect.
Wat I would suggest u try to do is write something u FEEL and the way it's real to u. Shikena.
Personally, I'm trying that.

Ehe, wat course did u study and where?
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half Of A Yellow Sun by adaobee(f): 11:37am On Dec 15, 2006
i have read Half of a yellow sun, it is soooooooo interesting , much more than puple hibiscus.,
It's about the biafra war, i had heard about the war before, but this book enlightened me more about it. It ended in a sad way though.
I think chimamanda's writing skills is out of this world, she gets better with each book.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half Of A Yellow Sun by Seun(m): 1:58pm On Dec 15, 2006
I agree. I read one short story she wrote and it was "wow"!
Re: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half Of A Yellow Sun by Suzanne84(f): 2:29pm On Jan 05, 2007
Happy New Year Nairalanders! I finally read the critically acclaimed "Half of a Yellow Sun" during the holidays and it has certainly lived up to all my expectations. Adichie has certainly outdone herself with her much anticipated second novel.It is so refreshing to read about the Nigerian civil war from the perspective of a young female author who wasn't alive during the war for a change. Although Adichie tried to make her viewpoint as objective as possible, it is still quite evident that her sympathy lies with the Biafran cause in the novel. Beautifully written with simple diction as well as an evocative yet powerful use of descriptive nouns and metaphors that are so characteristically Adichie's trademark,"Half of a Yellow Sun" is definitely one of the best books of 2006 and rightfully deserves to be shortlisted for the Booker prize and other major literary awards all over the world. Unlike her award winning debut "Purple Hibiscus" which has Kambili as it's major character, "Half of a Yellow Sun" has several characters ranging from a semi-literate houseboy(Ugwu) and a British journalist (Richard) to an eccentric mathematics professor(Odenigbe),a sociology lecturer who is also Odenigbe's lover(Olaina), and her street smart but disdainful twin sister(Kainene).Another interesting and commendable aspect of the novel is that Adichie's uses several narrative techniques in the novel;thereby enabling the reader to understand what both she and the characters in the book are thinking at every point in the novel. A great book, in summary. One snag though, i prefer "Purple Hibiscus". but then my preference doesn't really matter, does it? wink

(1) (Reply)

18+ My First Time In A Big City: A True Life Story Of Gabriella Pt 3 / Check Out This Nigeria Ronaldo Storybook / The Code Breaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.