Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,275 members, 7,836,234 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. (24587 Views)

Tubers Of Yam Being Packaged For Exportation (Photos) / EU Lifts Ban On Beans Exportation From Nigeria. / Anambra Begins Exportation Of Vegetables To US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by SmithHumble50: 3:17pm On May 26, 2016
9ja 9ja
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by cooljude(m): 3:18pm On May 26, 2016
Honestly, deforestation is a big threat to our lives. I support this policy.

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by OBAGADAFFI: 3:19pm On May 26, 2016
Another wrong policy from the government, banning Woods and Charcoal Exportation can't stop deforestation.
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by maxzzo1(m): 3:22pm On May 26, 2016
Hmmmm am not sure cos guys are loading containers with logs na for export...

Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by emerged01(m): 3:30pm On May 26, 2016
DICKtator:
Hahahahahahaha. A ridiculous country!!!

First, as a registered tree feller who is into woods and charcoal exportation, you should have a permit to fell trees
And all this should be done with the Afforestation department to ensure compliance with federal and state laws

But alas!!, Nothing but corruption and arbitrary procedures!!
grin grin grin grin
Hit the nail on the head. Who should we blame?
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by ozoemenaca: 3:37pm On May 26, 2016
I pity you guys that don't know what you are talking about. My worry is that before this man Buhari leaves power he would have finished this country.
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by emerged01(m): 3:38pm On May 26, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:
Another wrong policy from the government, banning Woods and Charcoal Exportation can't stop deforestation.

Let us know what will stop deforestation. They banned them because they failed to comply.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by edorhe14(m): 3:41pm On May 26, 2016
And Imports Grasses #Genius

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by Ezekiel68(m): 3:44pm On May 26, 2016
page5:
That ban should have been done 20yrs ago.

Our forests have been depleted and exposed to deforestation by all manners of people.

Mostly foreigners like chinese.

Infact, i will recommend 25yrs in jail or death by hanging to anyone caught.

Impunity must stop
dat 25 too much na
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by docjuli(m): 3:45pm On May 26, 2016
onlineadejoh:
Certain threads ought to make front page at the speed of light, this is one of such cos it's informative. This was created since May 23rd, making front page now is too late.

This is not a snake/lizard story grin
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by ZACHIE: 3:45pm On May 26, 2016
obailala:
Huh?.. Nigerians haven't seen food to eat, the country is in dire need of forex, and someone thinks now is a good time to preserve forest? undecided

I'm yet to appreciate our education and the lack thereof than the depth of this argument.
There is nothing more to add.
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by docjuli(m): 3:48pm On May 26, 2016
maxzzo1:

They are doing so at their own risk. Which terminal wan receive am?
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by ZACHIE: 3:49pm On May 26, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

It may not stop defrostation but it will slow down the rate of deforestation.
Demand for Wood export grounded Onne port for 4 months.
Those 4 months, nothing went out apart from Wood.

Is there any sense in that?

Nigeria does not have one tenth of China forest .
Why is China not felling her woods?

Think again, simple minds.

4 Likes

Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by MrMcJay(m): 3:50pm On May 26, 2016
obailala:
Huh?.. Nigerians haven't seen food to eat, the country is in dire need of forex, and someone thinks now is a good time to preserve forest? undecided

Don't eat your future.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by MrMcJay(m): 3:51pm On May 26, 2016
popsonbj:
This is bad for an economy that is in dire need of foreign exchange!
Policy inconsistence, policy somersault is the bane of Nigerian
economic system.

Look for something else to generate Forex. Don't spoil your tomorrow because of the hunger of today.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by MrMcJay(m): 3:53pm On May 26, 2016
OBAGADAFFI:

So, how do we stop it? There are guidelines for felling trees, but the disobedience of the loggers made this ban inevitable.
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by obailala(m): 3:53pm On May 26, 2016
ZACHIE:

I'm yet to appreciate our education and the lack thereof than the depth of this argument.
There is nothing more to add.
MrMcJay:

Don't eat your future.
Timing of policies matter a lot; look around you.
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by Ojim07(m): 3:55pm On May 26, 2016
reverendfather:
so because he banned wood and charcoal exportation he's now working? your mumu giant pass Kilimanjaro
...No he is not working, he is playing, it is obvious that ur despondent
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by MrMcJay(m): 3:55pm On May 26, 2016
obailala:
Timing of policies matter a lot; look around you.

I agree. This ban should have been in place long ago, its's even coming late now.
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by kabman: 4:00pm On May 26, 2016
Our new friends chin cjoo chin wil not be happy.
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by Cargoed: 4:02pm On May 26, 2016
Good move....they should get grants for mainting forests not destroying them. maintaining forest is even a better business than exporting...Please have a look at the carbon credit business
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by shagaman: 4:19pm On May 26, 2016
This is a good move,everybody supports however there are other things people fail to realise.

1) Same govt gets revenue from the charcoal exporters,what happens to this revenue generated.

2) In each of the sites for charcoal business you have local govt officers who are to monitor and regulate some of this govt policies.

3) Charcoal Business is a business of long term contracts,a stipulated time frame should have been giving to enable those who have 1 year contract to terminate the contract ,some have charcoal production ongoing after collecting funds from clients for startups where do they make refunds,alot of litigation issues would arise.

A total Ban is appropriate, how does the govt intend to regulate the Charcoal that enters lagos daily for those that fry Akara or food vendors that use it.

There are so many things that can be exported apart from charcoal. exporters should look for other things.
Cashew nuts
Ginger
Bitter Kola
Dried fish.

However people startup with charcoal because the capital for startup isn't as massive as the rest,The banks wont give loans,the unemployment rate is high.
As Olisa Agbakogba SAN said the country is in depression. The govt should have carried exporters along.

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by nonyofor2(m): 4:20pm On May 26, 2016
Dollar reserve is depleting FG banning exportation udo di kwa sha
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by shagaman: 4:20pm On May 26, 2016
maxzzo1:

This logs would be dropped at the port...They going nowhere. go to Apapa port dem full there now...
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by chidibond(m): 4:28pm On May 26, 2016
As an environmentalist, this is long overdue. Many of you here saying otherwise are like the majority of Nigerians who have no regard for nature and their environment, not caring what they are leaving for their future. If only you knew better....

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by OBAGADAFFI: 5:21pm On May 26, 2016
MrMcJay:

So, how do we stop it? There are guidelines for felling trees, but the disobedience of the loggers made this ban inevitable.

emerged01:

Let us know what we stop deforestation. They banned them because they failed to comply.

ZACHIE:

Do you know that the local consumption of woods in Nigeria outweighs the exports.

Where do you thing our Sawmills are getting their woods from.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by owagbeba: 5:35pm On May 26, 2016
Baroba:

Thank you, am more concerned about whats happening with Kosso wood ( Rosewood). Another ban i will be quite to see is donkey skins to China..

I couldn't help but laugh when I read your post. I guess you are quite familiar with the items on demand by the Chinese. Donkey skin is now so expensive, I think rather than ban skin export, govt could encourage more people to raise donkeys and skin harvesting.

I'm quite in support of wood export ban. At the moment they are deforesting Taraba and nasarawa for woods. Not good! And the ministries in these states aren't helping to curb excessive logging. All they care about is the money.

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by owagbeba: 5:37pm On May 26, 2016
shagaman:

This logs would be dropped at the port...They going nowhere. go to Apapa port dem full there now...

They have been using Onne port to export these woods for some time now
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by Olufemiolaolu(m): 5:37pm On May 26, 2016
Faremisodeeq:
.abeg who they export charcoal self
Some factory in Lagos do. They export it 2 europe. They sell it 4 10 pounds & more. Its a big business oooo
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by owagbeba: 5:40pm On May 26, 2016
maxzzo1:

I think they are not aware. Most of the exporters are using Onne port. China has also imposed limitation on import of wood from Nigeria. Most of containers are being shipped to Vietnam
Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by trav(m): 5:46pm On May 26, 2016
I am not a supporter of Buhari or APC but I must give the President thumbs up for this policy. Hopefully it will be well implemented. I was once an exporter of wood and charcoal and the profit is good but I decided to stop the business when I visited a number of forests within Ondo, Ekiti and Oyo states and saw the level deforestation going on there. I felt had no moral right to criticize anybody as I saw myself as one of Nigeria's problems.

One question I kept asking myself over a period of time is why the Europeans that buy the charcoal never cut down their own trees which they have in abundance for their chimneys and barbeques but yet demand so much of it from us. The truth is that they are preserving their own environment and nature. And when they do cut down they plant back and use that wood for making products which they export.

We need to do the same too. I have prayed a silent prayer for this move for a long time and I am very happy that prayer has been answered.

Hip Hip Hurray to the President and like someone wrote earlier "If you cant save the economy, save the environment".

ZACHIE:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Bans Woods, Charcoal Exportation. by Ademat7(m): 6:18pm On May 26, 2016
shagaman:
This is a good move,everybody supports however there are other things people fail to realise.

1) Same govt gets revenue from the charcoal exporters,what happens to this revenue generated.

2) In each of the sites for charcoal business you have local govt officers who are to monitor and regulate some of this govt policies.

3) Charcoal Business is a business of long term contracts,a stipulated time frame should have been giving to enable those who have 1 year contract to terminate the contract ,some have charcoal production ongoing after collecting funds from clients for startups where do they make refunds,alot of litigation issues would arise.

A total Ban is appropriate, how does the govt intend to regulate the Charcoal that enters lagos daily for those that fry Akara or food vendors that use it.

There are so many things that can be exported apart from charcoal. exporters should look for other things.
Cashew nuts
Ginger
Bitter Kola
Dried fish.

However people startup with charcoal because the capital for startup isn't as massive as the rest,The banks wont give loans,the unemployment rate is high.
As Olisa Agbakogba SAN said the country is in depression. The govt should have carried exporters along.

good point u've raised but u don't mention an option of exporting finish product,only raw materials #Ancientway2wealth

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking / Top 5 Reasons Why Poultry Farming Is So Lucrative In Nigeria- Marvejohndaily.com / Buy Cows And Goats from the north

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.