Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,366 members, 7,836,475 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

**when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / **when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** (3510 Views)

Important Drums Of The Yoruba People / 5 Interesting Things About The Yoruba People / Yoruba People And insults (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

**when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** by Realmcfynest: 6:14pm On May 23, 2016
**When Yoruba People Want To Insult You**
'

Yoruba people have a high degree of charisma (Oyaya), if they want to praise you, they do it well, very well actually. That doesn't mean they don't have their other side.

Yoruba people can whitewash just as they can praise.

For instance,

If Yoruba call a nice and tall man; Aguntasolo, don't be conceited as they can call you dongo silewo or agoro, omoga esegun when you offend them.

what if you are short; they will praise you thus; Eyan kukuru to npe eni gungun rani se but, you try to offend them, you'll hear, Kukute, Danku especially if you're short and chubby, you'll hear; kuruki, Agbo-Egba, Sigidi etc.

If you're tall and hefty, they'll praise you; o sin gbonle, if they want to insult you; body loni ko l'engine, firigbon o silekun, akilapa. They'll even say; o se aya bi ehin, o se apa bi itan

If you're dark in complexion; they'll praise you adu maa dan, the reverse is; o jona bi isale jollof, odudu bi tyre oko

If you're light skinned, they'll praise you thus; amo lewa bi egbin, if you're impressed and wanna act cocky, they'll change it, they'll call you; o pupa bi epo isobo.

Yoruba people, to know us is to like us.

By: Bola Olalekan

What praise do you know in yoruba and how can you also insult such individual?

I start- a dark girl..... I will praise her and say duduyemi, omo dudu bi ti koro esin..... But when i ean to insult her, i can say omo to dudu bi isale pooti idana.

Lets see how strong we are in yoruba......

4 Likes

Re: **when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** by MrPresident1: 6:19pm On May 23, 2016
Yoruba yo yo yo bi ina ale
Yoruba baba ni baba nse

cheesy

1 Like

Re: **when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** by Realmcfynest: 6:27pm On May 23, 2016
MrPresident1:
Yoruba yo yo yo bi ina ale
Yoruba baba ni baba nse

cheesy

Mr president.... Booni..... Nice oriki there.... grin

When i read your epistles, i never knee you were yoruba until recently.....

Although the Yoruba rarely insult until you look for it. At time they accord you with polite insult as situation warrants. But the most respectful tribe!

Hmmmm i use to believe twas the ibos (yeebos a derivative from hebrew)
Re: **when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 23, 2016
Onye dere inha bu ehi undecided
Re: **when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** by MrPresident1: 7:00pm On May 23, 2016
Realmcfynest:

Mr president.... Booni..... Nice oriki there.... grin

When i read your epistles, i never knee you were yoruba until recently.....

Although the Yoruba rarely insult until you look for it. At time they accord you with polite insult as situation warrants. But the most respectful tribe!

Daada ni o cheesy

But I am an Israelite o, lol, I have conclusively traced the Yoruba line from ancient Israel cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: **when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** by wolelove(m): 7:11pm On May 23, 2016
slyIsaac:
Onye dere inha bu ehi undecided
why insult in your local dialect if you are bold enough...Onye Ara Di Ka Gi
Re: **when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** by Nobody: 7:15pm On May 23, 2016
wolelove:
Were tis slowpoke come from.... Stay in your lane fuckktard undecided
Re: **when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** by Realmcfynest: 9:51am On May 24, 2016
wolelove:

You really do not have to reply him

1 Like

Re: **when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** by otipoju(m): 1:01pm On May 24, 2016
My favoirite curse word is " were Asaba" but you must have gotten me extremely angry for me to abuse you.
Re: **when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** by wolelove(m): 3:48pm On May 24, 2016
Realmcfynest:

You really do not have to reply him
You are right. Cause silent is the best answer for fools.

1 Like

Re: **when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** by Realmcfynest: 12:12am On May 25, 2016
wolelove:
You are right. Cause silent is the best answer for fools.

Can you say that in Yoruba?
Re: **when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** by oboy3(m): 9:52am On May 25, 2016
The first thing yorubas teach their Kids are Insults,you see a kid not up to a year telling you ''Iya baba e'',''were ni e'' etc

even when they are Being nice to you 50% of words from their mouths are insults
Re: **when Yoruba People Want To Insult You** by Realmcfynest: 5:20am On May 28, 2016
oboy3:
The first thing yorubas teach their Kids are Insults,you see a kid not up to a year telling you ''Iya baba e'',''were ni e'' etc

even when they are Being nice to you 50% of words from their mouths are insults

Haha..... Really, children are not taught to abuse, its just inate and i guess society.....

I have a friend who will call you werey, but she is joking.

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA By Anambra State [PHOTO] / Instruction in Igbo? / Prof. James Ayatse Emerges The 5th Tor Tiv

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.