Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,589 members, 7,847,489 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 06:40 PM

FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply (27420 Views)

Afam Power Plant, Kashimbila & Gurara Hydro Plants To Operate In Nigeria / Be Careful What You Say, I Never Promised Better Power Supply – Fashola / I Never Promised Better Power Supply", Fashola Informs Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Nobody: 8:52am On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:
Come oh.. is it cumpolsary that only FG that hav to build power plants?

Are states not allowed to build their own power stations due to their natural endowments ?

Pls anyone that know how this thing work should let us know.

Because am surprised that countries that are in the forefront of solar panels manufacturing and usage are cold countries but we, with all the sunshine and what have you are still struggling to generate light and accept solar as a source of generating same in large scale
true talk
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by 989900B: 8:54am On May 24, 2016
Itsekiriman101:
This is what you get when you feel you have the monopoly of power. The Niger Delta is the looser at the end of the day. The oil that we so pride ourselves on is daily being made irrelevant because the world has had enough of the stranglehold of oil on their lives and are now seeking alternative sources of energy.

Oh Niger Delta!!!! At the time when our oil becomes worthless, where do we turn to? Is it the lands that we have destroyed with the spillages from pipelines that we bombed with our own hands? Is it the river that we have polluted with our nefarious activities?

Do we turn to other regions? When we have burnt the bridges that good neighbourliness would have strengthened? We cannot even farm our lands because we have destroyed it with the hydrocarbons that should have been a blessing to us.

Niger Deltans think again. We cannot exist alone, stop the destruction of our land. If we are not developed, it is purely our fault. Anambra does not get 13% derivation but see the development taking place there; same with Lagos, even Ogun state. Wake up, wake up before we destroy our future and that of our children.

It's great to see someone else see it from this angle. This is exactly the reason leaders from those agitating states are clamouring for 'sense'. There is nothing permanent in life . . . if you keep going around arrogantly and senselessly about your prowess (oil . . . which by the way you are not the biggest custodian of in Nigeria), you'll only make others think outside the box, and be better for it. No one wants to do business in that region anymore, not even the locals; not to mention foreigners.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Litmus: 8:55am On May 24, 2016
Will never understand why Nigerian state governors don't invest in massive solar farms. I tell a lie, i kinda have some ideas, why. They are mostly not in office to serve the public. You only have to visit some of their twitter account to see them obsessing over party politics, barley any stuff on ideas for the development of their states that encourages someone that they have potential to transform the lives of their citizens.

1 Like

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by davodyguy: 8:55am On May 24, 2016
fiizznation:
Solar is good but is efficiency is very low. Even the advanced countries that fashola is trying to immolate only use solar as a backup

We just completed a gas station which is Mega, somewhere in Ajah. It is 100% solar powered to DISCO power is connected to the station. 24 hours electricity
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by davodyguy: 8:59am On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:
Come oh.. is it cumpolsary that only FG that hav to build power plants?

Are states not allowed to build their own power stations due to their natural endowments ?

Pls anyone that know how this thing work should let us know.

Because am surprised that countries that are in the forefront of solar panels manufacturing and usage are cold countries but we, with all the sunshine and what have you are still struggling to generate light and accept solar as a source of generating same in large scale

Anyone can build any power plant

Egbin is now owned by Sahara power
Geometric power plant belongs to Barth Nnnaji formwer power minister.

FG controls only Transmission.

Generate, Sells to FG Transco, Transco FG sells to Disco private sector
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by mamawin(f): 9:00am On May 24, 2016
Itsekiriman101:
This is what you get when you feel you have the monopoly of power. The Niger Delta is the looser at the end of the day. The oil that we so pride ourselves on is daily being made irrelevant because the world has had enough of the stranglehold of oil on their lives and are now seeking alternative sources of energy.

Oh Niger Delta!!!! At the time when our oil becomes worthless, where do we turn to? Is it the lands that we have destroyed with the spillages from pipelines that we bombed with our own hands? Is it the river that we have polluted with our nefarious activities?

Do we turn to other regions? When we have burnt the bridges that good neighbourliness would have strengthened? We cannot even farm our lands because we have destroyed it with the hydrocarbons that should have been a blessing to us.

Niger Deltans think again. We cannot exist alone, stop the destruction of our land. If we are not developed, it is purely our fault. Anambra does not get 13% derivation but see the development taking place there; same with Lagos, even Ogun state. Wake up, wake up before we destroy our future and that of our children.
ehya, this is so touching, I hope they read this
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by mamawin(f): 9:03am On May 24, 2016
davodyguy:

We just completed a gas station which is Mega, somewhere in Ajah. It is 100% solar powered to DISCO power is connected to the station. 24 hours electricity
sorry i don't understand, a gas station, 100% solar powered? shed more light, please
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by frisky2good(m): 9:11am On May 24, 2016
DISCOs cannot be allowed to generate. They are only licensed to distribute and not generate. We have generating, transmission and distribution companies. If we say DISCOs should start generating, we can as well just give them the transmission lines.

Businessideas:
Good thinking. I think that only the power plants in the Niger delta should run on gas.I think the discos should be allowed to build and own their own power plants, these guys are not having products to sell to their customers. How do you want their business to survive if they have to keep hearing this kind of story. undecided
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Praktikals(m): 9:11am On May 24, 2016
Businessideas:
Good thinking. I think that only the power plants in the Niger delta should run on gas.
Another great idea from Businessideas
grin
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by mofayodeyahoo: 9:39am On May 24, 2016
Southern Niger state, jos and kaduna south can't be call north, av lived in real northern part of nigeria for 15 years, rain start in late May & stop in october, solar system need to be try in sokoto, kano/jigawa and yobe
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by tete7000(m): 9:57am On May 24, 2016
We become dependent on gas by choice for some reasons 1. It is cheap 2. It is clean 3. It is surplus and readily available 4. It is capable of providing our energy requirement 5. It doesn't leave as much environment impact as most other energy sources

As much as I agree with us diversifying our energy requirements, the question we need to ask ourselves is first, what is our total energy requirement? Do we have enough water sources that will give us water throughout the year and will give us enough water volume for the energy we need? Can solar and hydro provide all our energy need? What are the comparative advantages of these energy sources?
Saying we choose gas out of choice and we thus can opt out of choice like that is not something I will readily subscribe to. Maybe coal and nuclear sources will meet what we need but they are not clean like the gas plants and pose great environmental risk.
Every energy source has its own challenge, the field always looks greener from the outside. Until we jumped in, we might not appreciate the challenges involved unless we do proper analysis before hand.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by DaudaAbu(m): 9:59am On May 24, 2016
Infact, sokoto, kebbi, katsina ,zamfara, kano jigawa, adamawa, yobe, borno some part of gombe, taraba all have massive sun light that can be harnessed for solar power generation
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Nobody: 9:59am On May 24, 2016
Segadem:
how many times will Nigeria sign MOU with others countries?
3 years ago they sign the same agreement with Indian government, what has it been the outcome?
That was PDP govt then, now is APC, all u can do is wait and see if they will fail like PDP.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Segadem(m): 10:02am On May 24, 2016
MrTruth4real:

That was PDP govt then, now is APC, all u can do is wait and see if they will fail like PDP.
hmmmm, OK
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Nobody: 10:04am On May 24, 2016
tete7000:
We become dependent on gas by choice for some reasons 1. It is cheap 2. It is clean 3. It is surplus and readily available 4. It is capable of providing our energy requirement 5. It doesn't leave as much environment impact as most other energy sources

As much as I agree with us diversifying our energy requirements, the question we need to ask ourselves is first, what is our total energy requirement? Do we have enough water sources that will give us water throughout the year and will give us enough water volume for the energy we need? Can solar and hydro provide all our energy need? What are the comparative advantages of these energy sources?
Saying we choose gas out of choice and we thus can opt out of choice like that is not something I will readily subscribe to. Maybe coal and nuclear sources will meet what we need but they are not clean like the gas plants and pose great environmental risk.
So what's ur point? We should remain with gas? What they are trying to do is diversify the energy source, not that they want to abandone gas power plant totally. Besides solar, wind and hydro is more clearner than gas. In countries like Germany they are replacing their gas plant with wind turbine and coal plant with solar. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with what the govt is doing. I only pray they succeed.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Horlaz(m): 10:07am On May 24, 2016
Goke7:
Hydro is the just the best alternative, good to know the govt is thinking in that direction. I hope the ikere gorge dam in one Ogun, Oyo state is included too
yes u gt it @iseyin at least that george dam can serve some part of the state...
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by DaudaAbu(m): 10:12am On May 24, 2016
tete7000:

All those countries that are calling for us to cut carbon emission are the same people polluting the earth with their massive unclean coal plants (china, USA)
We might have gas in abundance and despite all its advantages some groups are telling us all not to depend on it.
Moreso, the report didnt say hydro and solar can provide our need but that we should have a healthy mix from the various sources
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Businessideas: 10:13am On May 24, 2016
grin
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by Businessideas: 10:14am On May 24, 2016
Praktikals:

Another great idea from Businessideas
grin
Sheyyy??

grin grin
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by murmee: 10:20am On May 24, 2016
Goke7:
Hydro is the just the best alternative, good to know the govt is thinking in that direction. I hope the ikere gorge dam in one Ogun, Oyo state is included too
Not too long ago, Governor Ajimobi said a particular water dam in Ibadan or somewhere in Oyo state can also be used to generate electricity. I hope he will push for that to be included.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by tete7000(m): 10:27am On May 24, 2016
MrTruth4real:

So what's ur point? We should remain with gas? What they are trying to do is diversify the energy source, not that they want to abandone gas power plant totally. Besides solar, wind and hydro is more clearner than gas. In countries like Germany they are replacing their gas plant with wind turbine and coal plant with solar. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with what the govt is doing. I only pray they succeed.

I didn't tell you we should remain with gas. What I am saying is that we can't abandon what we have in surplus and we didn't just hop for gas just out of impulse. That write up was written as if to say militants are giving us problems and thus we can just abandon the gas power and prove to them we can do without them to which I say NO and maintain my NO!
Solar and hydro are cleaner but do you know the challenges they pose? Brazil produces about 80% of their energy from hydro sources but have you read about their experiences? It will do you some good to google and do so. These energy sources come with their own challenges - they subject you to vagaries of nature. We have kanji dam but do you know its power output fluctuates throughout the year? I read sometimes ago that it has five turbines installed and during dry season water level falls and during those time, we are lucky to have three functional. We also have to provide electricity to country upstream of Niger to discourage them from damming the river for their own energy need and thus frustrate our own water source. And like I have earlier highlighted which I am sure you didn't read well: How many river do we have in Nigeria that can provide us enough water volume throughout the year for our energy need?
Solar is good but it comes with its own complications - erratic nature, sophistication we might not be able to handle and plenty of arable lands needed to be dedicated for its use. And please stop comparing us with Germany, in terms of technological advancement, they are well ahead of us. I travelled through Nigeria sometimes and saw many solar street light installed by various states government and I often wonder how many are still functional. Maybe we can use that to gauge how well we will do with solar energy panels.
Talk is cheap but if you sincerely ask me, as much as I believe we must diversify, I believe our primary energy sources should be gas plants. Let government find a lasting solution to vandalism. It is a problem the country cannot run away from as long as we remain one entity. Even if we split, who said we can't buy gas from the delta for power generation. The last time I checked, even Russians supply gas to Europe for their energy needs.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by hmuhammad(m): 10:28am On May 24, 2016
Businessideas:
Good thinking. I think that only the power plants in the Niger delta should run on gas.I think the discos should be allowed to build and own their own power plants, these guys are not having products to sell to their customers. How do you want their business to survive if they have to keep hearing this kind of story. undecided
They are actually working on that, eko Disco went into an agreement with a certain power generation company to install and commission around 150MW plant to supplement insufficient energy from TCN
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by hmuhammad(m): 10:36am On May 24, 2016
tete7000:

I didn't tell you we should remain with gas. What I am saying is that we can't abandon what we have in surplus and we didn't just hop for gas just out of impulse. That write up was written as if to say militants are giving us problems and thus we can just abandon the gas power and prove to them we can do without them to which I say NO and maintain my NO!
Solar and hydro are cleaner but do you know the challenges they pose? Brazil produces about 80% of their energy from hydro sources but have you read about their experiences? It will do you some good to google and do so. These energy sources come with their own challenges - they subject you to vagaries of nature. We have kanji dam but do you know its power output fluctuates throughout the year? I read sometimes ago that it has five turbines installed and during dry season water level falls and during those time, we are lucky to have three functional. We also have to provide electricity to country upstream of Niger to discourage them from damming the river for their own energy need and thus frustrate our own water source. And like I have earlier highlighted which I am sure you didn't read well: How many river do we have in Nigeria that can provide us enough water volume throughout the year for our energy need?
Solar is good but it comes with its own complications - erratic nature, sophistication we might not be able to handle and plenty of arable lands needed to be dedicated for its use. And please stop comparing us with Germany, in terms of technological advancement, they are well ahead of us. I travelled through Nigeria sometimes and saw many solar street light installed by various states government and I often wonder how many are still functional. Maybe we can use that to gauge how well we will do with solar energy panels.
Talk is cheap but if you sincerely ask me, as much as I believe we must diversify, I believe our primary energy sources should be gas plants. Let government find a lasting solution to vandalism. It is a problem the country cannot run away from as long as we remain one entity. Even if we split, who said we can't buy gas from the delta for power generation. The last time I checked, even Russians supply gas to Europe for their energy needs.
I understand your points, what about investing in solar and wind. Hydro, solar and wind are all renewable sources of energy and cheaper to maintain.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by davodyguy: 10:37am On May 24, 2016
mamawin:
sorry i don't understand, a gas station, 100% solar powered? shed more light, please

Lol. What i mean by Gas station is what you call a filling or petrol station in Nigeria
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by tete7000(m): 10:37am On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:

All those countries that are calling for us to cut carbon emission are the same people polluting the earth with their massive unclean coal plants (china, USA)
We might have gas in abundance and despite all its advantages some groups are telling us all not to depend on it.
Moreso, the report didnt say hydro and solar can provide our need but that we should have a healthy mix from the various sources

Healthy mix is ok but abandoning gas plant, a NO. We actually have it in abundance and I think we should make it our primary source and find a lasting solution to vandalism. The write up was actually not written to argue for healthy mix but to point that we can do without the problematic gas supply. Somewhere in it, it says we opt for gas by choice and infers we can opt like that just by another choice. But if I may ask, what happen to our already installed hydro plants that we hardly feel their effect at those times our gas supplies were disrupted?
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by kolexy(m): 10:40am On May 24, 2016
MIKOLOWISKA:
is it there hungry governor's looting left right centre. Obj said anybody can collect licence and build but refused to allow Lagos under fashola to do so cos they were opposition

Obj was not President when Fashola became Governor.
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by hmuhammad(m): 10:40am On May 24, 2016
DaudaAbu:
Infact, sokoto, kebbi, katsina ,zamfara, kano jigawa, adamawa, yobe, borno some part of gombe, taraba all have massive sun light that can be harnessed for solar power generation
good one, wind turbine can also work in those states you mentioned.... meanwhile add Niger to your list
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by tete7000(m): 10:43am On May 24, 2016
hmuhammad:
I understand your points, what about investing in solar and wind. Hydro, solar and wind are all renewable sources of energy and cheaper to maintain.

Its ok but we can't run away totally from what we have in abundance and flare flagrantly. We should equally explore and find permanent solution to vandalism. Let us not forget that even the high tension lines are sometimes vandalised. Who says if we run away from gas the vandals won't return to frustrate us by vandalising the power lines.

1 Like

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by fiizznation: 10:50am On May 24, 2016
davodyguy:

Is the solar power connected to another "solar power station" or is the solar power connected to a fussil power plant? I don't really get you bro, please elaborate
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by 3ples(m): 10:53am On May 24, 2016
At the onset you're already dragging it to your place?
Goke7:
Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by 3ples(m): 10:57am On May 24, 2016
And the wailling waillers will say buhari is building them only in the North
hmuhammad:
good one, wind turbine can also work in those states you mentioned.... meanwhile add Niger to your list

1 Like

Re: FG To Invest In Hydro, Solar For Better Power Supply by linkin8k(m): 10:58am On May 24, 2016
obailala:
India produces 12,000mw of its electricity from solar alone. 12,000mw is almost 3 times Nigeria's current capacity; if we can have up to half of that, I can assure you we would have up to 20hrs of electricity per day nationwide.

Bro.. India do not even have up to 7000 MW installed solar capacity yet, they presently have 6762 installed capacity and hope to reach 7000 MW by 2017. (Source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_India)

People should always try to carry out a background research before giving wrong info on a forum as big and respected as Nairaland.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023: APC Governors Gang Up Against Jonathan / Oby Ezekwesili Celebrates Her Husband On His Birthday Today / NSCDC bans display of Firearms at Public events

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.