Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,221 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London (6601 Views)

Buhari Defies Rain In Cross River, Shuns Helicopter / Court ruling: Erastus Akingbola’s Properties in Cayman Islands to be sold off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by REALTRUTH1: 3:05pm On Aug 20, 2009
…Akingbola Defies EFCC; How He Escaped To London
August 20, 2009 15:00 (1 minute ago), 4 views

By Tokunbo Olajide

Erastus Akingbola, the sacked boss of Intercontinental Bank Plc, has defied the order of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to report to its office in Abuja.

Akingbola is one of the five managing directors of banks the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Sanusi Lamido sacked last week Friday over sharp practices in their banks that have resulted in unpaid debts running into hundreds of billions of naira.

•Eratus Akingbola

Rather than honour EFCC’s invitation, Akingbola is said to have stayed back in London where he was believed to have sneaked to last Friday when he got wind of his impending sack,

A close aide of the top banker confided in P.M. News that Akingbola left the country for the United Kingdom in the evening of last Friday before the news of his sack could spread to the public domain.

He managed to escape being intercepted by security agents who apparently, at the time, were not unaware of his travails.

Since his sack last week, the embattled banker has not been seen at his residence in Lagos, fuelling speculations that he stayed back in London to avoid being arrested.

Before the banking shake-up last Friday, P.M.News gathered that Akingbola had planned to attend the wedding of his cousin in London. So, when the bubble burst, and he got wind of his sack, he decided to stay back in the UK.

There are indications that he may not return to Nigeria soon in view of the axe that is dangling over his head.

It was gathered that even if he decides to leave London, his next port of call may be Ghana where he owns a mansion and frequently visited while he called the shots at Intercontinental Bank.

The EFCC has already declared wanted Akingbola along with other sacked bank CEOs and directors yet to report to the anti-graft agency, but the erstwhile Intercontinental boss has gone to court to challenge his sack by the CBN.

Akingbola, who was very influential as a top banker, is the President of the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria (CIBN) and a Vice President of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC

http://thepmnews.com/2009/08/20/akingbola-defies-efcc-how-he-escaped-to-london
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by REALTRUTH1: 3:08pm On Aug 20, 2009
Can U imagine,,,building a mansion in Ghana order to enjoy uninterupted power supply,,,,so easy though! work and make ur money in Nigeria,,,then fly to Ghana,,,,I already have info lots of oil company staff in Nigeria now lives in Ghana with their family though working in Nigeria.
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by babyrl: 3:41pm On Aug 20, 2009
If he did nothing wrong, why is he running?
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by bimex8: 3:50pm On Aug 20, 2009
coward.thats what he is,nothing else to add
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by blacksta(m): 3:50pm On Aug 20, 2009
REAL TRUTH:

Can U imagine,,,building a mansion in Ghana order to enjoy uninterupted power supply,,,,so easy though! work and make your money in Nigeria,,,then fly to Ghana,,,,I already have info lots of oil company staff in Nigeria now lives in Ghana with their family though working in Nigeria.
Can u blame them  -  Human being will generally find a more suitable habitat, when u have refused to fix your country.
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by Nezan(m): 6:46pm On Aug 20, 2009
Dem thieves.
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by nich(m): 6:50pm On Aug 20, 2009
well, i think we should give all of them a benefit of a doubt until 'breeze blow foul yansh open'.
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by untainted: 6:59pm On Aug 20, 2009
nich:

well, i think we should give all of them a benefit of a doubt until 'breeze blow foul yansh open'.

haba yaro, how many nyansh(es) fowl get?
which one we wan see agains
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by PROJECT: 7:05pm On Aug 20, 2009
he runs live to fight another day,we have seen ppl arrested because some ppl dont like their face,am not in support of anybody just let the right things be done,there is a process let the cbn governor follow due process
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by Olisa4all: 7:07pm On Aug 20, 2009
Doesnt d U.K hv xtradictn laws?
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by Fhemmmy: 7:14pm On Aug 20, 2009
The govt know they will be looking for the people and will be arresting them, why would they announce the sack of same fellas till they have allocated people to arrest them and make sure they are not able to get off, or allow them back in the country first
We just make so much noise
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by bawomolo(m): 7:17pm On Aug 20, 2009
Fhemmmy:

The govt know they will be looking for the people and will be arresting them, why would they announce the sack of same fellas till they have allocated people to arrest them and make sure they are not able to get off, or allow them back in the country first
We just make so much noise

I know right.
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by naso2(m): 7:18pm On Aug 20, 2009
Olisa4all:

Doesnt d U.K hv xtradictn laws?

Extradiction go reach 2 yrs to perfect the process o. Before that time court case go don finish.

I do not think he is running because of guilt. He has already challenged his removal in court. Afterall even Ribadu ran to london.
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by remoranger(m): 7:20pm On Aug 20, 2009
I had always suspected that guy was a rogue. I am glad to know that some people actually make things work in this country.

thanks to sanusi for making me believe.
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by dexter2060: 7:21pm On Aug 20, 2009
He should remain there while another time bomb waits for him in Nigeria, the sack never do am, way in for come account for intercontinental. Say na im papa business. angry angry angry
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by Bawss1(m): 7:25pm On Aug 20, 2009
Now we all love Sanusi, a couple of weeks ago people were running their mouth about him. grin
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by Fhemmmy: 7:27pm On Aug 20, 2009
Bawss1:

Now we all love Sanusi, a couple of weeks ago people were running their mouth about him. grin

that is a nigerian for you now
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by triistar86: 7:30pm On Aug 20, 2009
babyrl:

If he did nothing wrong, why is he running?
Do you have to do something wrong before you run for your dear life in Naija. . . .?
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by oge4real(f): 7:32pm On Aug 20, 2009
He is just running from Genesis, by the time he sees malachi, I wonder what he will do.
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by dexter2060: 7:35pm On Aug 20, 2009
Tomorrow go be sanusi turn (probe First bank), but CBN governors smart with numbers sha.
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 20, 2009
THE TRUTH IS THE CBN GOV IS TRYING TO SETTLE PERSONAL VENDETTA,Y DID YARADUA BRING SOMEONE FROM THESAME BANKING SECTOR THAT HE IS TRYING TO CLEAN UP,HE OUGHT TO HAVE GOTTEN SOM1 FROM THE IVORY TOWER,EWANTA ME TA NIA
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by olasalam(m): 7:38pm On Aug 20, 2009
but whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by eabumere: 7:46pm On Aug 20, 2009
someone said when breeze fowl yash open, let us see the outcome of this nonsence drama. Look how Soludo ended up managing such loop forgetting that the economy depends on such resource. Well, okereke also knew that the country is bad to invest in and she will preach that money should be pumped into the market saying the market is ok, that CNN is what is deceiving the public with fear ( she was actually protecting her investments). The way energy power issue died is the same way this case will die. watch and see
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by koolchicco: 8:01pm On Aug 20, 2009
Pls any info about his where-about in London and I'd surely bring him back.Ole,,,,,Onye Oshi,,,,,Barawo! shocked angry
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by asha80(m): 8:05pm On Aug 20, 2009
koolchicco:

Pls any info about his where-about in London and I'd surely bring him back.Ole,,,,,Onye Oshi,,,,,Barawo! shocked angry

grin
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by OvieE: 8:34pm On Aug 20, 2009
hey, nigeria;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; what a country!!!!
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by proudly9ja(m): 8:35pm On Aug 20, 2009
EFCC is looking for Akingbola, Ibru, Adigwe, etc. None of these people where alleged to have stolen money or used their bank's money for personal or private use. Meanwhile the people who loaned the money and refused to pay back are hanging around Mr President. Abi Ibori and Dangote names no dey list wey commot some days back?

Bloody Hypocrites!
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by RichyBlacK(m): 8:35pm On Aug 20, 2009
REAL TRUTH:

Can U imagine,,,building a mansion in Ghana order to enjoy uninterupted power supply,,,,so easy though! work and make your money in Nigeria,,,then fly to Ghana,,,,I already have info lots of oil company staff in Nigeria now lives in Ghana with their family though working in Nigeria.

I'll do the same! What do you expect when Nigerians allow goats to decide their fate in Abuja?
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by nex(m): 8:39pm On Aug 20, 2009
"Pastor peel out?" No faith, no speaking in tongues? If God can do it fro Shedrach Meshiach and Abedinegho, what of Erastus? Or has he been reading a different kind of Bible.
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by eyonigger(m): 8:41pm On Aug 20, 2009
Ever since the CBN debt story. I have withdrawn all my money from Intercontinental and Union Bank before I hear sey something don happen. Erastus like any other person would stay back to avoid arrest.
Re: Akingbola Defies Efcc; How He Escaped To London by Nobody: 8:42pm On Aug 20, 2009
Umaru Dikko rewind.

He (Akingbola) better watch where he goes in London. The place is like Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Voter Registration. . . Jega Asks For Another N6.6bn / Nigeria & South-Africa Aim To Strengthen Ties / BREAKING NEWS: Military Bombs Arepo To Dislodge Militants [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.