Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,798 members, 7,817,305 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English (37671 Views)

Some Common English Mistakes And Their Corrections / 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist / 10 Common Grammatical Blunders You Should Endeavour To Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by emmchi(m): 3:11pm On May 24, 2016
English language is so intriguing.
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by khalids: 3:14pm On May 24, 2016
lanxlot:
plus would, could and will grin

Simple trick...try as much as u can 2 keep ur mouth shut undecided

Thanks a lot, you are a real gem,,,
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Austino50: 3:16pm On May 24, 2016
For the first time in nairaland l'm seeing a very meaningful and sensible post.
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Nature129(m): 3:22pm On May 24, 2016
"Tense" is by far the hardest part of English language. After our teachers have taught us way back in school, people still say:

People that matters grin

How is your children? grin

He don't care cheesy

How is your parents? grin

The list is just endlessssssssss

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Nature129(m): 3:28pm On May 24, 2016
Oluwaxhango:

Give us an example pls..

I'm is the short form I am. It is used to start a "sentence." Eg, I'm a boy meaning I am a boy.

BUT Am is used to start a "question." Eg, Am I your mate?

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by mayour16(m): 3:29pm On May 24, 2016
Choose and Chose
Loose and lose
Concern and Consign
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by nairamaniac: 3:34pm On May 24, 2016
lekjons:
op, these ones're simple na..

i think you should start with "I'M" and "AM"..

the way people use them disgusts me..gringrin
you need to change your friends or relocate from your current environment. LOL
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Oluwaxhango(m): 3:34pm On May 24, 2016
Nature129:

I'm is the short form I am. It is used to start a "sentence." Eg, I'm a boy meaning I am a boy.

Is 'ama' correct, in a way like 'ama big boy' n 'I'm a big boy'
:
:
N watcha and ain't..
Thnks..
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by christabell18(f): 3:35pm On May 24, 2016
Lyk seriously...yur nt d only one...it irritates me madly...mtchew
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Cavenchy(m): 3:36pm On May 24, 2016
PRACTICE (NOUN) - referring to 'a thing that would usually require an action'.
Example: Patient1: What are you doing Dr? I'm bleeding.
Doctor: Oh don't worry, we usually have to bleed the wound to expel the poison. It's just standard Practice?
PRACTISE (VERB) - referring to 'an action'
Example Patient2: Dr, I hope you aren't new here, I don't like the way you are staring at my body.
Quack Doctor: Of course I am new, but I have to practise my skills on someone to become an expert someday init?

Same goes for
ADVICE (NOUN) vs ADVISE (VERB)
Example: Patient3: Dr? I think I get angry to often, what do I do?
Surgeon: If you need some advice, I advise you see a Psychologist not a Surgeon.

The above holds true for British English, 'C' always refers to the noun(Call to action), while 'S' always refers to verb(action). owever American English doesn't distinguish between Nouns and Verbs for some of the 'C' and 'S' conflicts.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by christabell18(f): 3:37pm On May 24, 2016
lekjons:

lyk seriously...it irritates me madly
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by cooljoe(m): 3:41pm On May 24, 2016
Notn confusing herein. advise/advice, ehen dose kyn tins na dat 1 4 b d koko. bt sha betta topic dan most of d poo dat hits FP dz days
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 24, 2016
the only English that confuse me is "have" and "has", "go" and "went" did you went to sch today? did you go to sch today?

yesterday was so funny, I spent 6 hours trying to spell "beneath" cheesy Imsu strike is really affecting me lolz.
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Philomath1212: 3:42pm On May 24, 2016
Nothing is in anyway confusing in the "compared" words.
Just that there are many cheap heads that fall for such un-worthy errors.
English Language is still the easiest in the school of linguistics.
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Nobody: 3:45pm On May 24, 2016
Nature129:

thanks, this really helped.

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Oluwaxhango(m): 3:53pm On May 24, 2016
9ja we rock
:
:
:
:
Lolz

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by kadas01(m): 3:58pm On May 24, 2016
lekjons:

My guy! You are very on point!

It's common amongst those I often refer to as "educated-illiterates"!

Ironically, so many of them in Nigeria!
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by mondob2k(m): 4:01pm On May 24, 2016
What about been and being? Anyone?
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by dhesire(m): 4:03pm On May 24, 2016
lanxlot:
This LATTER government that PRECEDED GEJ'S govt is sumtin else. Instead of Buhari of RISE to the occasion, what did he do? He RAISED the price of fuel. As a consequence, WEEKEND and HOLIDAYS av becum boring as pple find it hard 2 power generators. I MOURN when I hear some pple COMPLIMENT this administration of hardship, wait, when they sit in COUNCIL, does Buhari ever take COUNSEL? prices of goods have skyrocketed, the little u earn these days wud buy u lesser quantities of commodities, this may lead to a decline in MORALE of workers... Buhari, learn MORALS. grin

For ur mind, you are a lyricist.
Adonbilivit, you yaff tried indeed.
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by cr80vity(m): 4:08pm On May 24, 2016
nice one...I learnt sth
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Nature129(m): 4:09pm On May 24, 2016
Oluwaxhango:

Is 'ama' correct, in a way like 'ama big boy' n 'I'm a big boy'
:
:
N watcha and ain't..
Thnks..

I believe "ama" means "I'mma." Well, watcha, wanna, gonna, ain't, etc, according to my American sources, are words used on the streets, but because of their widespread use, they are, gradually, being accepted in mainstream American English.

So, being "correct" in this context depends on individual's use and acceptance. But I strongly advise you don't use such words when you are writing official papers like exams, proposals, and projects.

Hope that helps...

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by adonbilivit: 4:14pm On May 24, 2016
dhesire:

NAWA O u dey laugh our naija BOW WOW? WOW.
he is a LYRICIST, but a wack one to say the LEAST.
These days everybody is a RAPPER, including grandmas in the villa who rock "local" WRAPPER
I am adonbilvit. beli'tha....

raaaaaaah.

@lanxlot...just kidding, u went in. u are a lyrical kingpin

1 Like

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by lanxlot(m): 4:14pm On May 24, 2016
dhesire:

grin
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by aalangel(f): 4:16pm On May 24, 2016
There's nothing confusing in your write-up. It's just a few people that can't use the words appropriately. There are harder ones
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by dabrake(m): 4:17pm On May 24, 2016
Was expecting words like ADVISE and ADVICE or DEFENSE and DEFENCE.
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by professore(m): 4:26pm On May 24, 2016
I am following because of the 8th point,though I always get it right,but it is usually one kind grin
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Nature129(m): 4:35pm On May 24, 2016
Vickyydera:
the only English that confuse me is "have" and "has", "go" and "went" did you went to sch today? did you go to sch today?

yesterday was so funny, I spent 6 hours trying to spell "beneath" cheesy Imsu strike is really affecting me lolz.

Have is used with plural (pro)nouns while has is used with singular (pro)nouns.
Eg: 1. Fashola and Ngige have been declared ministers.

2. We have dogged spirit

NB: Notice that Fashola and Ngige are 2 persons(plural noun) hence; the use of "have" and 'we' is a plural pronoun too.

ALSO,

For "has"

1. Fashola "has" been declared a minister.
2. He has given me the money

NB: Fashola is one person (singular noun) while "he" is a singular pronoun hence; the use of "has"

But this rule changes when it is used in bigger concepts like unaccountable noun, places, etc. Here, you can apply either of has or have.

Eg, Chelsea has/have signed a new manager
Lagos have/has the highest population in Nigeria.

ALSO, PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS RULE CHANGES WHEN YOU ARE CONSIDERING FIRST PERSON, SECOND PERSON SINGULAR/PLURAL.

Finally, whenever you use "did' in English, the next tense MUST be present tense.

Eg, Did you go (NOT went) to school yesterday?

Did you see your mom yesterday?

This is the best I can do; My fingers are hurting already.

Did you learn it? grin

Hope this helps...grin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by CallMeBIRA(f): 4:38pm On May 24, 2016
lekjons:
That's true
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by lavenjcrown(m): 4:53pm On May 24, 2016
lanxlot:
This LATTER government that PRECEDED GEJ'S govt is sumtin else. Instead of Buhari of RISE to the occasion, what did he do? He RAISED the price of fuel. As a consequence, WEEKEND and HOLIDAYS av becum boring as pple find it hard 2 power generators. I MOURN when I hear some pple COMPLIMENT this administration of hardship, wait, when they sit in COUNCIL, does Buhari ever take COUNSEL? prices of goods have skyrocketed, the little u earn these days wud buy u lesser quantities of commodities, this may lead to a decline in MORALE of workers... Buhari, learn MORALS. grin
nice one out there. God plz I need this kind of brain in me.
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by laikas: 5:03pm On May 24, 2016
thanks man. no. 3 an eyeopener.
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by TheSpellChecker: 5:08pm On May 24, 2016
Principal and Principle.
Re: 10 Common Mistakes And Confusing Words In English by Nature129(m): 5:15pm On May 24, 2016
mondob2k:
What about been and being? Anyone?

Just use this simple trick:

When you use "been" is ONLY when you use has/have:

Eg, 1. He has been to London.
2. They have been on this project for ages

Second Use: Notice also that you can use "been" in:

2. He's been to London.

In the last example he's means he has, so technically, it's the same rule applying.

Now, "being" is used where has/have are NOT used.

Eg, 1. I'm just being myself
2. Being nice doesn't mean being stupid

If you noticed, there were no has/have etc. in the last sentences.

Hope this helps...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Pupils Make Dresses With Needle And Thread (Photos) / Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 / No Resumption Date Yet For Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.