Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,799 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! (8249 Views)

Gov. Okowa Pays Condolence Visit To The Ibru's Family In Lagos - Photos / BREAKING: Olorogun Felix Ibru Is Dead / The Ibru Nanny has Now Been Declared Wanted. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by JamesG: 7:34pm On Aug 20, 2009
IBRU GROUP -

IBRU SEAFOODS LIMITED,
ADEN RIVER ESTATES LIMITED,
AEROCONTRACTORS NIGERIA LIMITED,
COMPLANT ENGINEERING SALES AND SERVICES LIMITED,
EMSEE SHIPPING LINE LIMITED,
IBACHEM (IBAFON CHEMICALS) LIMITED,
IBAFON OIL LIMITED,
IBRON NIGERIA LIMITED,
IBRU MERCHANDISE 33 LIMITED,
IKEJA HOTELS PLC (LAGOS SHERATON AND FEDERAL PALACE HOTELS),
SOCIETE BENINOISE DE PRODUITS DE MER (SOBEPROM),
ZABADNE AND COMPANY LIMITED,
OSADJERE FISHING COMPANY LIMITED,
MARINE HARVEST LIMITED,
SPIBAT NIGERIA LIMITED,
RUTAM MOTORS LIMITED,
NITREC LIMITED,
OCEANIC BANK INTERNATIONAL PLC,
AQUAMARINE FINANCE AND SECURITIES LIMITED,
QUEENS PETROLEUM COMPANY OF (NIG) LIMITED,
GUARDIAN NEWSPAPER LIMITED,
EXPRESS PROCESSING AND PACKAGING LIMITED,
WASKAR LIMITED, MITCHELL FARMS,
NIGERIAN HARDWOOD COMPANY (NIG) LIMITED,
F. STEINER & COMPANY LIMITED,
BLUE WATER MARINE,
DELTA FREEZE LIMITED,
LILLESHALL (NIG) LIMITED,
SUPERBRU LIMITED,
W.F. CLARKE (NIG) LIMITED,
BOARDROOM SERVICES LIMITED,
BOARDROOM SERVICES LIMITED,
MINET NIGERIA LIMITED (Insurance Brokers),
ATLANTIC ESTATES LIMITED,
SOCIETE CAMEROUNAISE DE PRODUITS DE MER-SCPM DOUALA.

If you a small business operating in any of the business domain above, you don't stand a chance.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 20, 2009
I do not subsribe to rubbishing the Ibru family for Cecilia's undoing.

Cecilia is even a wife, not a daughter of the family. The family patriach is Olorogun Michael, now in his eighties, an insightful, industrious man, that worked his way into money in the 1940s. He started with petty trading and now has multi-billion naira family business, which you mentioned above. Having made it early and out of selflessness,the young Michael Ibru sent his younger siblings to best-in-town schools, and got them educated abroad. He nurtured them and today we have all of them doing well, including  Felix Ibru(Senator, ex-governor), Alex Ibru(ex-minister and publisher of Guardian), Richard Ibru and Donald Ibru, not to forget his son, Oscar Ibru.

So please, all the companies you mentioned above are owned by one or more of the Ibru brothers, but most by their patriach, Michael. Most have been around even before Oceanic; we therefore cannot conclude that they were started with stolen millions. At least, Guardian was established in 1982.

The man is now very old and has his wife, Cecilia, managing them. That is why I, for one, have never respected Cecilia(she doesn't need my respect really) the way  I respect the likes of Fola Adeola, Atedo Peterside and even Erastus(at least Intercontinental bank was Erastus idea from scratch). Oceanic bank is not her baby, just a family business she's put in charge and could have been anybody.

We should be grateful to the Ibrus, especially their patriach, for contributing their quota to the industrialization of Nigeria and employing tens of thousands of people.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by JamesG: 8:28pm On Aug 20, 2009
No anti trust laws in Nigeria?
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by SapeleGuy: 8:29pm On Aug 20, 2009
Do you own and stop hating !
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by RichyBlacK(m): 8:31pm On Aug 20, 2009
Jarus:

Cecilia is even a wife, not a daughter of the family. The family patriach is Olorogun Michael, now in his eighties, an insightful, industrious man, that worked his way into money in the 1940s. He started with petty trading and now has multi-billion naira family business, which you mentioned above. Having made it early and out of selflessness,the young Michael Ibru sent his younger siblings to best-in-town schools, and got them educated abroad. He nurtured them and today we have all of them doing well, including  Felix Ibru(Senator, ex-governor), Alex Ibru(ex-minister and publisher of Guardian), Richard Ibru and Donald Ibru, not to forget his son, Oscar Ibru.

So please, all the companies you mentioned above are owned by one or more of the Ibru brothers, but most by their patriach, Michael. Most have been around even before Oceanic; we therefore cannot conclude that they were started with stolen millions. At least, Guardian was established in 1982.

The man is now very old and has his wife, Cecilia, managing them. That is why I, for one, have never respected Cecilia(she doesn't need my respect really) the way  I respect the likes of Fola Adeola, Atedo Peterside and even Erastus(at least Intercontinental bank was Erastus idea from scratch). Oceanic bank is not her baby, just a family business she's put in charge and could have been anybody.

We should be grateful to the Ibrus, especially their patriach, for contributing their quota to the industrialization of Nigeria and employing tens of thousands of people.

True dat!
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by JamesG: 9:13pm On Aug 20, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Do you own and stop hating !

I don't hate, and I do respect your opinion - but I am looking at the big picture. This is an example of monopoly that has gone wrong! We can not all be born with silver spoon in our mouths - but we do deserve a chance at a good life, this' why there are anti trust laws in democratic societies - and this type of laws further ensures our fundamental rights according to the 1999 constitution. The Corparate Affairs Commission should enforce these laws, but it is too marred with corruption. So my gripe is with the entire unjust system - the system that continued to be fueled, or held up by these elites. How much is enough for one family? How can a small business owner compete with these giants (the likes of Dangote & Ibru) - they own the banks, and friends with the regulator. It is probably accurate that the Ibru patriac started out modestly - but that just doesn't mean that they should crush any competitition using their influence.

I am only venting here - not much will come out of these banking saga anyway. So don't worry yourself. We are not in an ideal/perfect democracy - but my hope is that we get there someday.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by SapeleGuy: 9:29pm On Aug 20, 2009
JamesG - Don't read too much into my earlier comment.
However, you can't monopolise business per se, you monopolise a sector. I believe you will struggle to find a sector that they dominate to the exclusion of all competitors.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by JamesG: 9:48pm On Aug 20, 2009
SapeleGuy:

JamesG - Don't read too much into my earlier comment.
However, you can't monopolise business per se, you monopolise a sector. I believe you will struggle to find a sector that they dominate to the exclusion of all competitors.

I couldn’t really say I am well versed in all the businesses listed here – but if there names should suggests their operations, then I would say they dominate the agriculture and fishing industries, in the lower half of the country, at least. And I’d say this constitutes a sector – and monopoly thereof. Monopoly in my limited knowledge also means price guaging/fixing, and this' one way competetion is eliminated.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by MrCrackles(m): 9:52pm On Aug 20, 2009
Jarus:

Good stuff. . . .
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by adigun101: 10:42pm On Aug 20, 2009
And so what ? Is it a crime to be rich ? Did they steal from Nigeria's coffers ? People like the IBRUs including the so called sacked bank MDs are the good eggs in Nigeria. Having worked their way to the top. Have you ever thought of how much employment oppurtunities the Ibrus has provided the economy. SERIOUSLY, WHAT IS YOUR POINT !
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by 4Play(m): 11:22pm On Aug 20, 2009
Which one of these businesses is a monopoly and in what sector?
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by JamesG: 11:47pm On Aug 20, 2009
adigun101:

And so what ? Is it a crime to be rich ? Did they steal from Nigeria's coffers ? People like the IBRUs including the so called sacked bank MDs are the good eggs in Nigeria. Having worked their way to the top. Have you ever thought of how much employment oppurtunities the Ibrus has provided the economy. SERIOUSLY, WHAT IS YOUR POINT !

The Ibru influence is everywhere - the untouchables as it where!

No problem with being rich - but blatent anti trust tendencies is subject to investigation

And Yes they did steal from Nigeria's coffers - bailout of Oceanic bank by the feds, due to bad loans, to themselves, and close friends.

Providing jobs does not devoid them of the rule of law - militants provide jobs for jobless area boys as well.

Like I said earlier leave your pants on, my experience tells me this whole saga with Cecilia will die in no time - nothing will happen to your financial gains thru the "untouchables".

And I will not comment on this again - my participation here is strictly for meaningful exchange not personal attacks, as your tone seem to suggest.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by otokx(m): 5:16am On Aug 21, 2009
CECILIA did not work her way to any top; she is even a second wife to start with who came to reap where she did not sow. How many children does she even have for the man? You all go and find out.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by Nobody: 6:16am On Aug 21, 2009
@otokx,I have also said that. That is why I said we need to isolate Cecilia from Ibru dynasty. The family has not done anything wrong.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by Nobody: 6:40am On Aug 21, 2009
otokx:

CECILIA did not work her way to any top; she is even a second wife to start with who came to reap where she did not sow. How many children does she even have for the man? You all go and find out.

What do you mean by she's reaping from where she did not sow?
Is she suppose to be the first wife of Mike or bear 100 children for him before her contributions will be acknoledged?

Sentiments apart, she has contributed immensely to the Ibru business empire.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by otokx(m): 6:48am On Aug 21, 2009
She has contributed to oceanic only and that too can be questioned as she did not start it. She was married to another man before and its his children she tried to introduce into the OCEANIC family but the real IBRU dynasty was opposed to that wayo.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by pappilo(m): 6:52am On Aug 21, 2009
James G is probably a disgruntled former employee of the Ibrus. Did you just read a copy of the Economist and decided to tell us about what you learnt? Anti trust law and monopoly blah blah blah. How can you describe The Guardian, Rutam Motors, Oceanic Bank, Aerocontractors or Lagos Sheraton as monopolies? It is either you do not understand the term or you are clutching onto straws. Have you forgotten that one of the Ibru brothers was almost killed and infact is blind in one eye and missing a few fingers due to his opposition to Abacha? How many times wasThe Guardian shut down? By the way, quite a few of the companies in your list exist in name only and have had no business operations for some time.
otokx

link=topic=312588.msg4392961#msg4392961 date=1250833691:

She has contributed to oceanic only and that too can be questioned as she did not start it. She was married to another man before and its his children she tried to introduce into the OCEANIC family but the real IBRU dynasty was opposed to that wayo.

You must have some inside information beacuse you are very correct on this. She wouldnt even do business with the other brothers companies and Michael being a frail old man could not challenge her
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 21, 2009
I learnt she's not in good terms with Oscar. Who knows?
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by Nobody: 6:56am On Aug 21, 2009
otokx:

Oh. . . now I see where your logic is coming from; Nigerian culture.

So, its now a wayo on her part for trying to assimilate her children from previous marriage into her present marriage? How is that wayo?
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by otokx(m): 7:02am On Aug 21, 2009
She should assimilate her children in her present dilemma; shameless woman who went to target one old papa.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by tubabie(f): 7:05am On Aug 21, 2009
Jarus:

I was in agreement with your post till I came to this paragraph
What has the fact that she either started the business or not have to do with the issue in Oceanic today?
Oceanic isnt her baby, she's just a wife managing it reh,reh, reh. Just like you stated it could have been somebody else as MD/CEO and this shit would also happen.Making void any contributions she may have made to Empire is just showing negative sentiments on your part.
At least you can see what happened to Erastus's "baby" too.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by tubabie(f): 7:06am On Aug 21, 2009
otokx:

She should assimilate her children in her present dilemma; shameless woman who went to target one old papa.
What's with the name calling? Articulate your points without sentiments please.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by Beaf: 9:33am On Aug 21, 2009
JamesG comes up with the idea that the Ibru's are somehow scum who run a monopoly. Those who know better have slapped him down on both counts, so tail between legs; the next straw to grab at is "oh she's just a wife anyway!". That is really low and pathetic.

When people steal money and are loud, we hail and patronise them to high heavens. But when we come across unassuming people who have made their billions by sheer graft and determination, we call them names. What a pity! And next we put all the blame for the sad state of the country on Yar Adua.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by Nobody: 9:45am On Aug 21, 2009
used to admire her alot though dat was in d past sha kudos to Sanusi now we can see clearly dat things are not as they appear
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by DisGuy: 10:21am On Aug 21, 2009
You guys should stop helping the media with their rubbish stories!

she has been sacked and invited for questioning that should be enough!!
hopefully the bank will be able to recover some of these loans
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by biola44: 10:29am On Aug 21, 2009
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by mjbaba: 10:38am On Aug 21, 2009
I seriously dont know what this thread is all about.

what monopoly are we talking about? This family has contributed their quota to Nigeria's development and created thousands of jobs. Whats bad about that? you talk about anti-trust. Has any fact ever come out that they have in a way monopolised or tried to monopolise supply or operations in any of the industries they have a stake in? This is just plain beef. Rubish!!!!
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 21, 2009
Beaf:

JamesG comes up with the idea that the Ibru's are somehow scum who run a monopoly. Those who know better have slapped him down on both counts, so tail between legs; the next straw to grab at is "oh she's just a wife anyway!". That is really low and pathetic.

When people steal money and are loud, we hail and patronise them to high heavens. But when we come across unassuming people who have made their billions by sheer graft and determination, we call them names. What a pity! And next we put all the blame for the sad state of the country on Yar Adua.
Before he even modified the topic, he claimed the entire Ibru business was built on stolen wealth, until facts were presented before him that Ibru empire had been existing far before Cecilia's Oceanic bank. Let's give credit to the Ibru family. They have done and are still contributing their own to our economy. The monopoly claim is most ironic. Their businesses are just like any other businesses. They are not even known for hobnobbing with the government like the Dangotes, Otedola,Jimoh Ibrahims and co.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by JamesG: 1:36pm On Aug 21, 2009
Jarus:

Before he even modified the topic, he claimed the entire Ibru business was built on stolen wealth, until facts were presented before him that Ibru empire had been existing far before Cecilia's Oceanic bank. Let's give credit to the Ibru family. They have done and are still contributing their own to our economy. The monopoly claim is most ironic. Their businesses are just like any other businesses. They are not even known for hobnobbing with the government like the Dangotes, Otedola,Jimoh Ibrahims and co.

I think supporters and those benefiting from Dangote, Otedola, and Jimoh Ibrahims, would make the same points you are making onbehalf of the Ibrus here. Whether you accept it or not, Oceanic Bank is part of the Ibru conglomerate, and have benefited immensely from the same. When it was all seemingly rosey, there had not been any evidence of the Ibru group disassociating itself from this bank. Now that Oceanic Bank mismanagement and funds misappropriation has come to light - BIG Ibru propanganda machines are out in full force! And you tell me there's no Monopoly?
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by JamesG: 2:18pm On Aug 21, 2009
Ibru company A, B, C, …Z may not exclusively be Monopolies in  A, B, C,  …Z business sectors.

But the Sum of Ibru Company A, B, C, …Z equates to Monopoly in the A, B, C,  …Z business sectors, as a result of unmatched leveraging power – hence anti trust laws.

Dangota is guilty of the same – I will say Dangote has learned well from the Ibru Group. Microsoft Bill Gates tried the same in the US and UK, and was stopped.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 21, 2009
JamesG:

Ibru company A, B, C, …Z may not exclusively be Monopolies in A, B, C, …Z business sectors.

But the Sum of Ibru Company A, B, C, …Z equates to Monopoly in the A, B, C, …Z business sectors, as a result of unmatched leveraging power – hence anti trust laws.

Dangota is guilty of the same – I will say Dangote has learned well from the Ibru Group. Microsoft Bill Gates tried the same in the US and UK, and was stopped.

the painful thing here is that Nairalanders will continue to post in this nonsense thread and you feel like you are pulling crowds, Local Champion.
Dont act like you are smart and you are an intellect when you sound foolishly.

what is the monopoly you are saying?
now tell me how Oceanic bank monopolized the banking sector?guardian newspaper? queens petroleum company? i bet there are other companies that are doing stronger than those Ibru companies in their respective sectors so do we still say they, the other companies, are in the monopoly agenda?

Dont worry you have become a local champion around here but sadly your thread is not gonna make the front page.
Re: Monopoly Gone Wrong - The Ibru Group! by JamesG: 3:06pm On Aug 21, 2009
babaearly:

the painful thing here is that Nairalanders will continue to post in this nonsense thread and you feel like you are pulling crowds, Local Champion.
Dont act like you are smart and you are an intellect when you sound foolishly.

what is the monopoly you are saying?
now tell me how Oceanic bank monopolized the banking sector?guardian newspaper? queens petroleum company? i bet there are other companies that are doing stronger than those Ibru companies in their respective sectors so do we still say they, the other companies, are in the monopoly agenda?

Dont worry you have become a local champion around here but sadly your thread is not gonna make the front page.

Before throwing insult try to unserstand my last post - unfortunately, I can't be more explicit to you. I said the SUM of all the companies through unfair leveraging power forms a monopoly in each exclussive business sector.

I am not the local champion , you are for throwing insults.

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Set To Establish Institute For Progressive Studies / Enugu Government To Restore State's Masterplan / Physically Challenged Appeal For Inclusion In Buhari's Cabinet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.