Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,565 members, 7,816,382 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski (4372 Views)

Chimamanda, Bill Gates, Prince Charles In London For Malaria Summit- Pictures / How To Use Reading To Become A Better Writer By Leo Babauta / Diary Of A Love Sick Writer By Angelsss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by safarigirl(f): 8:38am On May 25, 2016
Hello house, just wanted to share this poem by this great poet mostly because I have similar thoughts about writing

If it doesn't come bursting out of you
in spite of everything,
don't do it.
unless it comes unasked out of your
heart and your mind and your mouth
and your gut,
don't do it.

If you have to sit for hours
staring at your computer screen
or hunched over your
typewriter
searching for words,
don't do it.

If you have to sit for hours
staring at your computer screen
or hunched over your
typewriter
searching for words,
don't do it.

If you're doing it for money or
fame,
don't do it.

If you're doing it for money or
fame,
don't do it.

If you're doing it because you want
women in your bed,
don't do it.

If you're trying to write like somebody
else,
forget about it.

If you have to wait for it to roar out of
you,
then wait patiently.

If it never does roar out of you,
do something else.

If you first have to read it to your wife
or your girlfriend or your boyfriend
or your parents or to anybody at all,
you're not ready.

DON'T be like so many writers,
don't be like so many thousands of
people who call themselves writers,
don't be dull and boring and
pretentious, don't be consumed with self-
love.
the libraries of the world have
yawned themselves to
sleep
over your kind.
don't add to that.
don't do it.

Uness it comes out of
your soul like a rocket,
unless being still would
drive you to madness or
suicide or murder,
don't do it.
unless the sun inside you is
burning your gut,
don't do it.

When it is truly time,
and if you have been chosen,
it will do it by
itself and it will keep on doing it
until you die or it dies in you.

There is no other way.

And there never was.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:24pm On May 25, 2016
Beautiful Piece Safarigirl.... really lovely.

Mehn! That Poet understood "flow and originality" when it comes to writing.

You don't give what is not within you.

The piece above is a super super truth about Writing...

The art of Writing shouldn't be one that sees one struggle to "flow".

One may need patience in certain cases, yes.... but when a writer enters "his/her own zone", he/she can write in such a manner that will see him/her shake the tree of literature and the world of "letters and words" to bring down fruit unheard of and produce "magic never before seen" respectively. wink

Thanks Safarigirl.... seems you and Charles may have somewhat crossed each other's paths in the Spirit world to share similar thoughts.... wink

Nice one. *smiles*

3 Likes

Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by donsteady(m): 6:40am On May 30, 2016
Writing is not part of me at all, I wished, i prayed but the thing no enter my head

1 Like

Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by logadims: 6:46am On May 30, 2016
Oya which one we go do?
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by Orikinla(m): 6:48am On May 30, 2016
safarigirl:

Hello house, just wanted to share this poem by this great poet mostly because I have similar thoughts about writing

I thank Almighty God for being a writer since I started writing and have lived on my writings since then.
Thank Almighty God JEHOVAH for making blogging a lucrative app for writers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by sEGXY2(m): 6:51am On May 30, 2016
A
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by psychic101(m): 6:53am On May 30, 2016
I'm proud of you, safarilady wink
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by chistar01(m): 7:10am On May 30, 2016
The truth in this poem though.

A lot of people write for the wrong reasons and when the motivation seizes they are pushed to a corner where they get blocked.

People should write simply because they want to write and not because of external motivations that can stop flowing with time.

This is a beautiful piece.
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by tk4rd: 7:22am On May 30, 2016
I hope to publish a book I wrote long ago sometime soon.. I still need to do a lot of editing on it though..
I wish to write more in time to come..
I have a lot of things flowing out, and my "jotter of imaginations" don already full.

2 Likes

Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by tk4rd: 7:22am On May 30, 2016
These apply to painting too.
If the imaginations and inspirations are not naturally there, forget it.
If you think you know what to paint, but your hands are numb, forget it.
If you look at the plain sheets/canvass that you intend to paint on and still see it as plain, then roll it up. You are not ready yet

3 Likes

Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by Nobody: 7:28am On May 30, 2016
Ah, the great Bukowski. Writer and drunken master. You'd have to develop a taste for his style but once you do, my, isn't it delicious?
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by HeedrizDepearl(m): 7:36am On May 30, 2016
He's said it all...
If it doesn't scream in your head And itch your palm DON'T EVER DO IT!
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by Rick9(m): 8:14am On May 30, 2016
wished I could
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by Elkay3: 8:15am On May 30, 2016
That's absolutely true and great! If it doesn't "scream", why not search for your motivations? Why not call on the old muses to warm the 'frozen zone'?
I think every writer had experienced a seizure or freeze in his/her flow of imaginations or even in facts. "Do something else", find your motivation.

2 Likes

Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by SIRKOL(m): 8:46am On May 30, 2016
safarigirl:

Good piece but permit me to ask u a question. Should Editing be allowed in writing because the literary world had lost a whole lots n lots of great Ideas in the name of editing. Legendary writers i.e men of old who are the pace setters n whose work after thousands of years still influence humanity never got their work Edited by any other. Thank u

1 Like

Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by stainlex(m): 9:12am On May 30, 2016
Word!!!!!
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by ShilohEagle(m): 9:16am On May 30, 2016
Good
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by Nnachuka(m): 9:18am On May 30, 2016
Ah writing the unheralded offspring from the lineage of art. Safariday pm me I'm an aspiring writer and it would be a pleasure to make your acquaintance.
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by An0nimus: 9:26am On May 30, 2016
am I the only person that doesn't subscribe to this poem? undecided
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by Isaacmacdon(m): 9:35am On May 30, 2016
Hmmm.. This is superb! Its amazing! Like they say "the truth shall set u free" , i believe dis piece just did.. Big ups to u safarigirl!
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by slap1(m): 2:22pm On May 30, 2016
Nice stuff.

I wish these nairaland writers can send out their stories to literary magazines for publication. That's how to judge your abilities and improve your craft as a writer. At least you get something close to a professional feedback!

I stopped posting my stories on nairaland, and I have had a story accepted and published by a popular online literature blog. I have also become a better writer than I was, though I am still very far from my target. The only way to write better is by writing always, learning from our mistakes, and reading better writers.

3 Likes

Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by Nobody: 8:13pm On May 30, 2016
So I should take the advice of someone who died over 22 years ago? Fail!
He died before the internet became commonplace, the internet has made the average man a potential literati if they put a little effort into it. He would hang himself if he met bloggers making it big on the internet today.

Reminds me of people who live their lives governed by the bible for everyday decisions; a book written centuries ago can not scratch the surface of contemporary living.
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by Phiniter(m): 9:03pm On May 30, 2016
Ah... the feel..

if you don't get that feel.....

Please... Don't Try it at home....
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by MsBliss(f): 11:49pm On May 31, 2016
Cool
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by Tastemoney(m): 3:47am On Jun 01, 2016
U nailed the truth
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by Pdizzle(m): 4:02pm On Jul 15, 2016
Not entirely true, but great! I like Charles bukowski
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 14, 2016
You nailed it!

charix:
He died before the internet became commonplace, the internet has made the average man a potential literati if they put a little effort into it. He would hang himself if he met bloggers making it big on the internet today.

Reminds me of people who live their lives governed by the bible for everyday decisions; a book written centuries ago can not scratch the surface of contemporary living.
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by Nobody: 11:40am On Aug 14, 2016
An0nimus:
am I the only person that doesn't subscribe to this poem? undecided

You are not alone. I believe everyone has a story to tell. And being able to write like WS and CA doesn't determine who a talented writer is.

1 Like

Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by Deyrinsolar(f): 9:21pm On Aug 14, 2016
Hmmmm. very deep and pure truth
Re: So You Want To Be A Writer By Charles Bukwoski by meobizy(f): 4:37pm On Jun 05, 2018

My man Charix. I miss this poster a lot.

(1) (Reply)

Why I Can't Love - A Short Story / STORY: Mrs. Chika, My Favorite 'teacher'[part 1] / SYNCHRONISED HEARTS(18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.