Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,138 members, 7,821,888 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

What's Your Favorite African Literature From Childhood? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What's Your Favorite African Literature From Childhood? (811 Views)

Nairaland Literature Award 2017 / What's Your Favorite Novel Of All Time? / Please Recommend Good 'modern' African Literature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Favorite African Literature From Childhood? by Legacy44(f): 11:27am On May 26, 2016
My favorite African literature has to be THE TRIUMPH OF THE WATER LILY by Stella Ify Osammor. I read the book way back in Junior secondary school. Such a powerful African piece of fiction themed in love, family, friendship, civil war, family pressures and the joys of motherhood with a tragic twist. The characters of Norman, Efua, Odili, (can't remember Odili's wife's name) along with their friends is a compelling story that is deeply Nigerian.
It's been many years I have searched for this book and I feel like its gone out of circulation.
Anyone seen/read the book? or better still have an e-version of it/where I can download one. I would be eternally grateful.
Re: What's Your Favorite African Literature From Childhood? by osesology(m): 12:43pm On May 26, 2016
Mine was ``the boy slave'. I came across that interesting novel when I was in primary six. It's a story of Shettima, a little boy who was kidnapped by slave traders in the northern part of Nigeria, spent yrs in slavery. Because of his bravery, he became loved by his master's son who, eventually, became his best friend and freed him and other slaves after his father's death. The sequel to ``the boy slave'' was ``the return of Shettima''.

I want to use this medium to say a happy birthday to Pelontus! May the Lord add more blessed years to your years!
Re: What's Your Favorite African Literature From Childhood? by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 26, 2016
osesology:

I want to use this medium to say a happy birthday to Pelontus! May the Lord add more blessed years to your years!

Thank you dear. Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you good
Re: What's Your Favorite African Literature From Childhood? by osesology(m): 4:55pm On May 26, 2016
pelontus:

Thank you dear. Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope you good
I'm good. you're the one that left us hanging...with an unfinished story, just when it was getting interesting.

And, you didn't ask me how I knew today was your birthday.
Re: What's Your Favorite African Literature From Childhood? by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 26, 2016
osesology:

I'm good. you're the one that left us hanging...with an unfinished story, just when it was getting interesting.

And, you didn't ask me how I knew today was your birthday.

Please tell me how you know..

The story is not suppose to be hanging o but the lack of comments is so frustrating. But hope you saw the latest post and the mention.
Thanks again
Re: What's Your Favorite African Literature From Childhood? by Legacy44(f): 9:49pm On May 26, 2016
osesology:
Mine was ``the boy slave'. I came across that interesting novel when I was in primary six. It's a story of Shettima, a little boy who was kidnapped by slave traders in the northern part of Nigeria, spent yrs in slavery. Because of his bravery, he became loved by his master's son who, eventually, became his best friend and freed him and other slaves after his father's death. The sequel to ``the boy slave'' was ``the return of Shettima''.

Yeah I read the boy slave... interesting piece. but I never got oportuned to read the sequel to that
Re: What's Your Favorite African Literature From Childhood? by Reenah92(f): 8:32pm On Dec 06, 2020
I totally loved reading this book, years down the line and it’s still one of my top books�

(1) (Reply)

A Poem....My Teenage Dream. / The Event... By Gothblackgirl / The Diary Of An Aborted Child By Krissconnect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.