Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,064 members, 7,835,601 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account (8978 Views)

How To Link Your BVN To Your UBA Account Without Going To The Bank / Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! / My ATM Card Was Stolen And Money Was Withdrawn Within Hours - Advice Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by KENWAP(m): 9:58pm On Aug 29, 2009
The best thing is to disable your ATM cards and start using papers or cheques. I equally recommend GTBank than any other banks in Nigeria.

Then, if you still need ATM cards, then create a special account that is funded with only N10,000. If you deplete the amount, you can wire funds from other accounts to it. At least, when loosing, you are sure it is little.

That's the way I used to make use of ATM cards after I lost N55,000 at Diamond Bank last year.

Take care!
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Olong(m): 11:30pm On Aug 29, 2009
Am sure a lot of nairalanders re in2 dis fraudulent deals.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by kellorah: 12:01am On Aug 30, 2009
I don't get how ur statement from the 9th saw the future (10th!) ? ? ?

Don't the banks have computers where they can find ur infomation showing when u took money out, and from what ATM machine?
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by chyk91(m): 12:03am On Aug 30, 2009
this has happened to a friend of mine with the same UBA, about 30k was removed
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by dinggle: 2:07am On Aug 30, 2009
You guys shouldnt jump into conclusion without proper investigation, is it yahoo yahoo boys or bank insiders looking for money to recover bad loans given to the rich , accordingly his ATM was not missing, i find it difficult to believe that someone can stand behind me and steal info from me when I m no dummy, i wont even approach an ATM if anyone is there! If it is yahoo yahoo why hasnt the bank investigating it??, After all they have details of ATMs where these monies are witdrawn, why havent the banks collected such and shared the details with the police or Efcc so that can plant a mole at such hot spots I have said it and I m still saying it, shakara will run ATM users pennyless, revert back to the way our parent did it with paper cheques and witdraw slip and sleep with rest of mind, shikena
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by kellorah: 2:13am On Aug 30, 2009
Can u guys check ur accounts online in 9ja? If yes, then someone prolly made a fake bank website, where u put in ur details. [I think it's possible that way]
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by rickie4us(m): 2:55am On Aug 30, 2009
Quote by: dinggle

You guys shouldnt jump into conclusion without proper investigation, is it yahoo yahoo boys or bank insiders looking for money to recover bad loans given to the rich , accordingly his ATM was not missing, i find it difficult to believe that someone can stand behind me and steal info from me when I m no dummy, i wont even approach an ATM if anyone is there! If it is yahoo yahoo why hasnt the bank investigating it??, After all they have details of ATMs where these monies are witdrawn, why havent the banks collected such and shared the details with the police or Efcc so that can plant a mole at such hot spots I have said it and I m still saying it, shakara will run ATM users pennyless, revert back to the way our parent did it with paper cheques and witdraw slip and sleep with rest of mind, shikena

@dinggle:
Well, whether you believe it or not, it does not change the fact that there are yahoo yahoo boys out there who clone ATM cards , You are saying they have details of ATMs where these monies are withdrawn, and asking why the banks haven't collected such and shared the details with the police or EFCC and plant a mole at such hot spots? I want to make it clear here that there are no hot spots considering the fact that we have thousands of ATMs in the country. In fact, there is this case of a man whose ATM details were got and cloned and the monies were withdrawn with an ATM in Enugu while the man was in Lagos. We just have to be careful , and don't be fooled , anyone, including your brother/sister/close friend who has access to your ATM card can give out your information , If he does not know your PIN already, he may look for a way to steal it ,

@all
The fact remains that we all have to be careful not to lose our hard earned money ,
also, beware of fraudulent websites that asks for funny details , the banks will never ask you for your atm card details and pin number in any website ,
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by kellorah: 2:58am On Aug 30, 2009
Make sure the bank looks into it cos it might be one of the workers, with ur info, messing with ur account.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by dinggle: 3:41am On Aug 30, 2009
@rick4us,
You smell like a banker. There isnt anything to be careful about, tell me where can you run to when you hear thief but dont know where the thief is coming from or who the thief is Thats the position ATM users are. I am not saying there aint no yahoo yahoo boys in 9ja, even a day old child understands the function of yahoo yahoo boy, I m just saying that the banks are too quick to blame yahoo yahoo boys and exposure of pin numbers on the website, how many Nigerians has comfortable access to the internet, but the banks are basically blaming it on online scams which I dont buy and makes me feel something within is wrong! Ok! considering the number of people loosing money why havent the bank applied a limit on the a daily witdraw with ATM or ask customers to come and apply for limitation on their witdraw to prevent huge losses. Banks are suppose to look after their customers not smile at their stupidity when they loose money many customers dont know if limitation facility is available, but when they wanna inflate their performance to make people buy their shares they know how to reach their customers. Arent banks insured??, why isnt the insurance taking up the bill?, after all the bank does not have to pay a dime out of its pocket. The only reason i can think of is because the banks know that the insurance will investigate the claim before paying, and such could stain them morally.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by asunaobi(m): 3:50am On Aug 30, 2009
I think the right question to ask here is, how safe is Nigeria?
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by santakris(m): 8:27am On Aug 30, 2009
angry
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by santakris(m): 8:30am On Aug 30, 2009
Pizonewave is right. I read something like this of late. Bank shd b abl 2 trace d ATM machine used, d video scene of d transactn date n d picture of d withdrawee as wel. Inform EFCC n leave d rest. Pls feed us back wt ur steps. Gudluck.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by bigx(m): 9:19am On Aug 30, 2009
Na wa o, so they now clone cards too? I havent trusted the atm thing right from time though, the account I keep reasonable money has no atm and the rest dont go beyond 10k,Take heart sha, e go better, this is not the first time I'm hearing of this type of thing from UBA
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by KENWAP(m): 9:34am On Aug 30, 2009
Let me tell you the truth of the matter. ATM cards can be cloned - especially Magnetic type - and that is the reason InterSwitch is working on chip type.

Also, if a fraudulent person got the number on your ATM card, they can use a software online to decode your pin. So, your pin is useless if your ATM card no. has gone out. Those hackers will use your ATM card details to buy recharge cards online, print it and sell at a very price to vendors. That's exactly what happened to me when I lost N55,000 at Diamond Bank last year.

Howe do they get such info?

1. It might be from an insider in the bank or your relations.

2. They clone websites of banks and send email to you claiming your account is problematic. You will be asked to fill a form whereby your ATM card number and pin are revealed.

3. You are sent a text message from MTN, Glo, Etisalat, Zain or even from your bank that you won a prize. To claim your prize, you should text your ATM card pin and number. They may even ask you to go to a cloned website.

My sincere advice:

1. If you are opening a bank account, open a fresh email account and never use it to send email to anyone or post something online. Then, use such email address when filling your bank account forms including other online accounts like Liberty Reserve, PayPal, etc. This will make it impossible for your email address to be extracted with email extractor so that they can send rubbish email to you. If you don't post online, how can someone send email that your account is problematic to you? It's impossible.

2. Activate sms alert on your account. At least, if you don't authorize any withdrawal, you can see the sms alert and rush to your nearest branch to disable your ATM card.

3. If you ever receive text message or email that your bank account is problematic, please don't reply or go to any website. Just rush to your bank branch and confirm. Or if it's prize money from MTN, Zain , Glo or whatever, please go to their nearest office to confirm or call their customer care centre.

Be wise.

I rest my case.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by igmacco(m): 10:06am On Aug 30, 2009
nairalanders my brothers and sisters, it might sound funny but na true, for japan sef i no get, i no need am, talk less for 9ja,
na my bank book i dey use, as per old model way,,, somebanks here are 24hours banking,,,,,,,,,,
anything i want buy i pay cash,,,,,,, since i lost 5k$ no be again,,,, scam is everywhere, not only 9ja brothers
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by greateliso(m): 1:18pm On Aug 30, 2009
asunaobi:

I think the right question to ask here is,  how safe is Nigeria?

Nigeria has alot to do about the Nation's Security.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by PAININASS: 2:57pm On Aug 30, 2009
How old are you? you must be 7yrs old for taking it easy with them.They dare not tell me shit!
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Sanmexy(m): 3:27pm On Aug 30, 2009
This problem is not peculiar 2 Nigeria,its a global issue.
A message bearing a link was sent 2 my mail box asking me to confirm my ATM a/c with interswitch nig,they claimed they were supported by all nigeria banks.I ignored d message,after some weeks I click d link and it was empty,suggesting it must have been deleted.BE CAREFUL WITH UR A/C INFO NLANDERS.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Sanmexy(m): 3:30pm On Aug 30, 2009
A message bearing a link was sent 2 my mail box asking me to confirm my ATM a/c with interswitch nig,they claimed they were supported by all nigeria banks.I ignored d message,after some weeks I click d link and it was empty,suggesting it must have been deleted.BE CAREFUL WITH UR A/C INFO NLANDERS.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Nobody: 4:01pm On Aug 30, 2009
Uhm.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Ejike3: 4:56pm On Aug 30, 2009
A-town:

Karma's a bleeping bitch aint it.
When Nigerians were defrauding the west, using credit cards to order shit over the internet, people claimed ignorance
Now Nigerians are being defrauded and we're now making noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

You are one of those coming from a dirty country claiming to be Nigerians only to come and stain the image of our dear country, any time you see serious issue being discussed if you don't have anything to contribute keep shut.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by frag(m): 6:17pm On Aug 30, 2009
Sanmexy:

A message bearing a link was sent 2 my mail box asking me to confirm my ATM a/c with interswitch nig,they claimed they were supported by all nigeria banks.I ignored d message,after some weeks I click d link and it was empty,suggesting it must have been deleted.BE CAREFUL WITH your A/C INFO NLANDERS.
I got that email too. I did the usual thing i normally do,i followed the link and entered wrong information on it and you know what? It took the info and then redirected me to the real interswitch website.
My best advise is that,if you must use an ATM card,set a limit on it. Or have a saving account where you can transfer money via phone banking to your current account,that way you would only be able to withdraw what you have transfered. Make sure you check your account via phone banking very often.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Whizkiddon(m): 6:59pm On Aug 30, 2009
I belive it is nt a mistake.d bankers r away of dis criminal act d suld provid dat money.dat was hw uba ate al my money in d name of stupid charges.pusue dat money,rite to deir top mgt nd copy d leta to efcc,icpc nd oda agent,dey must provide
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by father2father4eva(m): 11:01pm On Aug 30, 2009
My friend here in Enugu lost N83K in the same UBA last month, While sms alert was sent to him that he withdrawed the money at one ATM machine in Ibadan. Ibadan he never been to in his life cool and was still helpless till today. cry
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by latch(m): 11:44pm On Aug 30, 2009
The problem here is that Nigeria isn't quite prepared for ATMs yet. Certain measures and laws should have been put in place first.
Banks should be held responsible for losses, just like they are out here. If that were the case, banks will take security a bit more serious.

Out here a large percentage of the best and highest paid IT security professionals work in the banking industry. I doubt thats the case in Nigeria.

Meantime, ATM fraud happens everywhere, its not just a nigerian fraudulent banker or yahoo boy thing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6115974.stm
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by compgeek(m): 7:53am On Aug 31, 2009
Guys thanks, but please you all still didnt tell me whom to raise the issue up with now that the bank has refused to pay me back.

Problem is the probability that I'll get my money back is rapidly dwindling with time. I need to raise the issue with a body/someone fast
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by pek(m): 10:55am On Aug 31, 2009
lets not be sentimental here neither should we give the post false hope. the money is gone and cannot be retrieved. its a pity but there is nothing the bank can do about it. if  the bank refunds such money, dont you think a lot of fake claims will flood in?
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Nezan(m): 11:01am On Aug 31, 2009
Time to disenable my ATM card.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Ad4(m): 11:27am On Aug 31, 2009
I believe if you press hard you will get your money back and you will also discover more truth about ATMs which you can share to us all.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by gReenmAn(m): 12:30pm On Aug 31, 2009
You simply cant let over 170K varnish just like that.

Be persistent, make some noise and create a scene at your bank.
Some one in position will be forced to listen to you.

Sometimes you have to act crazy to get attention!
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by GeorgeD1(m): 12:55pm On Aug 31, 2009
most atm cards of these new generation banks are very insecure. they only have
a magnetic stripe which anybody with the right equipment can clone.
to make them more resistant to cloning, most other banks like first bank include a
computer chip which only an insider can decode. therefore, you hardly hear cases
like these in those banks.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by DONFASZY(m): 1:40pm On Aug 31, 2009
they got ur info via internet link or email sent to u and this guys are full time yahoo yahoo,they are tired of going to bank to collect the money they defrand cos efcc is there but for atm, 4get,yahoo yahoo is here

i am very careful when i deal on anything called ATM MACHINE

UBA SECURITY IS OF PRIMARY STANDARD

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pet Bottles / I Av 2.5million Naira But I Need To Start A Profitable Buisness. Advise Me Pls! / Procedure For The Alteration Of An Article Of Association Of A Company.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.