Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,280 members, 7,811,832 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

“ Haiti Is One Of Us; Just.... " - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / “ Haiti Is One Of Us; Just.... " (950 Views)

Lessons From Haiti For True Yoruba Liberation / African Americans Narrate History Of Igbo And Haiti Resistance Against Slavery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

“ Haiti Is One Of Us; Just.... " by Nobody: 5:07pm On May 26, 2016
African Union is dependent on western donor funding, and Haiti is more of a colony of France than anything else, so this is hardly surprising. ...

Barely weeks after many cheered Haiti’s scheduled acceptance as a member of the African Union at its next meeting in Kigali, here comes some news to dampen our spirits.

The African Union in a statement issued on Tuesday the 17th of May has denied granting Haiti associate member status, asserting that according to its statues (article 29.1 of the AU constitution), only African states can join the African Union.

Apparently this narrow definition relies on geography instead of ideology, physical location rather than identity, and considers an “African state” to be a mere expression of geographical boundaries, running often haphazardly across the African continent. It is self-limiting to the union and serves no immediate purpose.

It is a no-brainer that physical proximity is often the least element necessary for fostering collaboration between countries; indeed often times it has been the reason for strife and mutual disrespect amongst neighbors. It can’t be overstated that in this age of globalization, physical distance counts for next to nothing. Haiti shares too much in common with Africa for the country to be denied full AU membership status.

A shared Identity (language, culture, ideology) is everything. It is the reason why the US has closer ties with the UK than it does with neighboring Mexico and the rest of Americas; it is the reason why Cuba has a stronger relationship with Russia than it does with its neighbours; it is the reason why a Nigerian can connect with a Ghanaian faster than a Cameroonian. The Arab league, NATO, and even OPEC are examples of how powerful community of nations can be forged outside of geographical proximity.

With full membership denied, Haiti is expected to continue in its previously held position as an observer member (with no voting or proposal rights), a status it has held since 2012.

One can only wonder if the AU would respond in the same way or be effectively willing to shift position if a more prosperous nation, say Brazil, had demonstrated similar interest in joining the AU.

Affirming its love and cooperation with sister states around the Caribbean and people of African descent, the AU highlighted its proposal for a “sixth region” that would be made up of the African diaspora and civil society organizations from Africa...
https://face2faceafrica.com/article/haiti-one-us-just-not-african-enough

1 Like

Re: “ Haiti Is One Of Us; Just.... " by AAinEqGuinea: 2:24pm On Sep 10, 2016
This is disappointing but not surprising. African Union's excuse (article 29.1) of Haiti not being an African country is pathetic and is marred with hypocrisy that I doubt they'll see and shows grave insensitivities to Africa's history as it relates to abetting in the European Slave Trade, albeit not Africa's biggest, most severe atrocity retrospectively speaking. 98% of African states were created not on their own, but as a result of biggest mass exploitation that the continent will likely ever experience and a prevailing status quo that far too many Africans strangely remain comfortable with.

Nnamdi Kanu mentioned that he knew of an area in Biafra where Africans were shipped away for slavery and this place remains haunted by a strong and gaunt presence of spirits of Africans shipped away (I'll have to wait to hear his rebroadcast to give the exact name of this place). Every African citizen today who think they share "a union" have to realize that this could have easily been their ancestors had it not been for Europeans' embargo on humans from African regions. For many, it was not by African cultural or religious convictions that slavery was thwarted. Today in Africa, far worse remains. Today your fellow African would still abet slavery, continuing to sell other Africans into slavery until there was no [insert tribe here] remaining in Africa, if not for European embargo. AU leaders need to know that the story of my ancestors and this story could have easily been that of their own. This is the only reason why west African countries should collectively issue an apology for slavery. I think Africans need this solace more than I do. Again, it's not surprising how West African leaders somehow refuse to make the simplest of connections so I'm not surprised by AU's decision regarding Haiti. Haiti, among others in the West Indies deserve to be back home. Culturally speaking, Haitians clearly have not denied themselves, demonstrating a strong cultural retention and connection with their African roots.

I really hope the AU sees their regrettable mistake they made and how the continent is persistent in falling on the wrong side of history.

3 Likes

Re: “ Haiti Is One Of Us; Just.... " by PrinceAbinibi: 5:23pm On Sep 10, 2016
I feel you my best friend is from Trinidad and Tobago and there is no difference between us, he likes our food, culture, most people think e be naija until I tell them otherwise, why should we continue to separate ourselves when we have a chance to bring everyone together, You are African if you are black, yeah all blacks not in Africa have been remixed(influenced) by other cultures but their core still remain African. One Africa.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Emir Of Kano Sanusi Lamido Meets Yunusa Dahiru's Lawyer In London / 15 Ways The World Has Changed In 100 Years / Lagos Is Yoruba Land By Oba Akinolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.