Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,741 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Help Urgently Needed: How Do I Salvage A Collapsing Wall In This Structure (pix) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help Urgently Needed: How Do I Salvage A Collapsing Wall In This Structure (pix) (966 Views)

What Is This Structure Used For At Awolowo Road / ORIGINAL SURVEY PLAN,BUILDING PLAN DOCUMENT,BUILDING APPROVAL & CONSTRUTION / PROFESSIONAL BUILDING PLAN AND BUILDING APPROVAL (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Urgently Needed: How Do I Salvage A Collapsing Wall In This Structure (pix) by Mandy003: 9:28am On May 28, 2016
I urgently need engineers in the house to come to my rescue on how best to stop the wall of this structure from falling due to the sloppy nature of the land. This situation happened after the foundation was filled with laterite and there was a heavy down pour. This morning we went to site and saw the wall like this; disengaged and almost falling off.

Please advice on how best to remedy this situation.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Help Urgently Needed: How Do I Salvage A Collapsing Wall In This Structure (pix) by Nobody: 9:35am On May 28, 2016
Looks like a telecom site..
Re: Help Urgently Needed: How Do I Salvage A Collapsing Wall In This Structure (pix) by stigmond(m): 9:45am On May 28, 2016
May be start to re-lay those bricks again... In other to avoid any future damage... At least it can still be reversible now ...
Re: Help Urgently Needed: How Do I Salvage A Collapsing Wall In This Structure (pix) by stigmond(m): 9:46am On May 28, 2016
May be you should start to re-lay those bricks again... In other to avoid any future damage... At least it can still be reversible now ...
Re: Help Urgently Needed: How Do I Salvage A Collapsing Wall In This Structure (pix) by Mandy003: 3:00pm On May 28, 2016
stigmond:
May be you should start to re-lay those bricks again... In other to avoid any future damage... At least it can still be reversible now ...

@ Stigmond, thanks for your advice, however, the problem is not where you may be thinking, it's the wall with the beam running across and not the wall with bricks alone. It's the beamed wall with pillar that disengaged from the the bricks.
Re: Help Urgently Needed: How Do I Salvage A Collapsing Wall In This Structure (pix) by johnson232: 4:21pm On May 28, 2016
Mandy003:

@ Stigmond, thanks for your advice, however, the problem is not where you may be thinking, it's the wall with the beam running across and not the wall with bricks alone. It's the beamed wall with pillar that disengaged from the the bricks.
why not board the disengaged part and cast it with concrete again. i think that will bond the pillar and the block wall.

1 Like

Re: Help Urgently Needed: How Do I Salvage A Collapsing Wall In This Structure (pix) by obisite: 4:40pm On May 28, 2016
Mandy003:

I also support the idea of the poster above me, cut off like half block to extreme down from that block region that disengaged from the pillar, then cast another pillar to join the existing one... I think it Wil be more strong to avoid future collapse of sane region

1 Like

Re: Help Urgently Needed: How Do I Salvage A Collapsing Wall In This Structure (pix) by KolaShangOne(m): 12:01am On Jun 02, 2016
@johnson It will still collapse. The mistake had been made. And it will cost money to repair.
I counted about 13 bricks laid before the chain. A whole 13.
You should have done that at 5 bricks and another chain at 10. You could have done double wall to ease pressure on main wall.

You also filled with clay sand that retains water and swells when wet. You could also have followed your slopy land. Don't fight nature.

Remedy: Pay me first. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Help Urgently Needed: How Do I Salvage A Collapsing Wall In This Structure (pix) by Druman(m): 12:47am On Jun 02, 2016
The challenge here is that we do not pay attention to details; most especially with our steel benders. Not all steel bender know how to anchor beam to column (anchorage). If the beam is properly anchored it will resist the tension due to the soil pressure on the blockwall. Thus, solution provided the wall has not tilted beyond 5-10 degree. Re anchore the beam to the column properly, board the area where you experience shear and recast. It will be ok. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Help Urgently Needed: How Do I Salvage A Collapsing Wall In This Structure (pix) by true2home(m): 11:56pm On Jul 31, 2016
Sorry for just responding to this matter. I actually didnt notice the brick material you used for the foundation wall. My structural opinion is that first, you are not using concrete blocks in this project and secondly, i might be wrong, you did not show a Beam crossing to connect the columns in the displaced picture.

The first issure: The clay bricks are not suitable to stick to the concrete columns like a concrete to concrete material would. therefore, you can not treat the brick as structural. That means the bricks are just there for partitioning.

Second issure: For the proper Beam N Column design, you must cross the a beam to connect the columns at relatively short sections as you build vertically. Like i said earlier, am assuming no beam already in place cos i did not see any in your picture attached

Good luck

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

JOINT VENTURE: 3400sqm Along Awolowo Road Ikoyi / Water Storage Tanks / The Importance Of Using A Good And Quality Paint

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.