Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,228 members, 7,815,293 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS (19551 Views)

"Buhari Fights Corruption In NASS With Insecticide, Uses Deodorant At Executive" / Anti-grazing Bill Passes First Reading In Abia House Of Assembly / Grazing Bill Passes First Reading In The Senate - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by centvin008(m): 9:01pm On May 28, 2016
Bill To Lower Age To Content In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS
The House of Representatives has passed for first reading a Bill seeking to lower the constitutional age requirement for contesting for elections in Nigeria. The Bill with gazette number HB. 544 was read and passed for the first time at the House plenary session on Wednesday May 26th, 2016. Hon. Tony Nwulu representing Oshodi/Isolo II Federal Constituency of Lagos state sponsored the bill otherwise referred to as the #NotTooYoungToRun bill.
The bill seeks to alter the Section 65, 106, 131, 177 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) to reduce the age qualification for the office of the President from 40 years to 30 years; Governor 35 to 30, Senate 35 to 30, House of Representatives 30 to 25 and State House of Assembly 30 to 25. The Bill also seeks to mainstream independent candidacy into Nigeria’s electoral process.

Recently, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara publicly advocated for a downward review of age criteria for running for certain elective offices when he played host to students at a dialogue session in the National Assembly. In his words ‘I think it may not be out of place to lower the age qualification for certain elective offices in the next constitutional amendment exercise”.  Charging the youths to take the gauntlet and constructively organize for the age review he said ‘This country belongs to you but it’s under the stranglehold of men and women of a generation that have overreached itself. The truth is that nothing will be ceded or conceded to your generation without a fight’.

These developments from the House of Representatives signal commitment on the part of the 8th National Assembly to open the democratic space for increased youth participation. It is an indication that the 8th Assembly is responsive to the yearnings of its vast youthful population.

The constitutional amendment bill if passed will address the legal challenge posed to young people seeking to run in elections thereby guaranteeing inclusion in our political process. The amendment will not only create a level-playing field for young people, it will enhance the competitiveness of electoral politics in Nigeria due to the innovative, creative, dynamism and resourcefulness that youths bring to the electoral process. Further more, the Bill will deepen intergenerational dialogue as more youths will gain access to the political process for more adult-youth engagement and partnership.

The youth community welcomes this development with excitement and renewed hope in the legislature. We recognize Hon. Tony Nwulu for sponsoring this important Bill. We urge all legislators in the National Assembly to support the quick passage of the #NotTooYoungToRun Bill to pave way for more youth inclusion in the political process. This is the time for Nigeria to take its rightful place in the comity of nations as a country guided by the principles of inclusion, freedom, equality and justice.

Signed

Itodo Samson

Youth Initiative for Advocacy, Growth & Advancement (YIAGA) and the #NotTooYoungToRun campaign
http://saharareporters.com/2016/05/28/bill-lower-age-content-elections-passes-first-reading-nass

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by redsconsult(m): 9:03pm On May 28, 2016
What happen to our civic education that says at 18 years we can vote and be voted for....

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by Flexherbal(m): 9:28pm On May 28, 2016
Hope you people are doing this for the people and not looking for ways to fix your children into some of these offices. Politicians are not to be trusted.

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by thesicilian: 9:34pm On May 28, 2016
Nice development. I love the aspect of independent candidacy especially

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by mrvitalis(m): 9:51pm On May 28, 2016
I feel 18 years is OK, if u are smart enough to convince the whole population to put there trust on an 18 year old then he/she must be smart enough

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by Nobody: 9:57pm On May 28, 2016
Booohari is still handsome undecided undecided

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by DirtyGold: 9:57pm On May 28, 2016
Yippieeeeee! Lemme start saving to buy form come 2019. Good development but I wish they reduce the ages by 10years instead of 5years and I also hope they let the bill see the light of day.

What's tha business?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by Consultville(m): 9:57pm On May 28, 2016
I concur. 25 is fair enough
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by Sunnycliff(m): 9:58pm On May 28, 2016
I doubt if our recycled politicians will allow this bill to get to it's permanent site!

4 Likes

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by raypepe(f): 9:58pm On May 28, 2016
It won't pass 2nd reading
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by lilprinze: 9:58pm On May 28, 2016
this old recycled thieves won't even allow it to pass 1st reading sef .

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by Nobody: 9:59pm On May 28, 2016
JESUSBOIY:
Booohari is still a dullard! undecided undecided
Unfortunately
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by anytexy: 10:01pm On May 28, 2016
Flexherbal:
Hope you people are doing this for the people and not looking for ways to fix your children into some of these offices. Politicians are not to be trusted.
Before nko. Lair Mohamed minister. em Pikin house of Assembly member

1 Like

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by saracus(f): 10:02pm On May 28, 2016
This one won't go anyway, Mtcheeeeeewwwww
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by Gerrard59(m): 10:02pm On May 28, 2016
It will be much better to increase the educational qualification for a post from the abysmally low qualification of the SSCE to Bsc/HND with an addendum that the individual MUST aspire for further education. Most likely a PhD or an MBA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tharman_Shanmugaratnam
London School of Economics,
University of Cambridge,
Harvard University.

The profile of the deputy prime minister of Singapore. PM Lee Hsien Loong went to Cambridge University and came out with a First Class in mathematical science and computer science. One of the few world leaders who can confidently code.

Our would be leaders need to be educated rationally, and a secular education at that.
One country that has such is Singapore where over 90% of its political office holders possess a higher degree other than their first degree and from Ivy league schools. Where is Singapore today?

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by OLUJOSHINS(m): 10:03pm On May 28, 2016

So they are now giving Us a chance.

Well that's great news
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by lordcyl3(m): 10:04pm On May 28, 2016
I was taught in secondary school that u can vote nd be voted for@ 18, well I support 25
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by princefunmmy(m): 10:04pm On May 28, 2016
Welcomed development..
at least the phrase "we are th leaders of tomorrow" is beginning to materialize

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by olafum1(m): 10:05pm On May 28, 2016
OK....mr Speaker, Ensure it's given the necessary considerations and prompt passage...
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by kindy51(m): 10:05pm On May 28, 2016
Its a welcome development
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by SamuelAnyawu(m): 10:06pm On May 28, 2016
Good one cool cool

Please also include a Masters Degree from a Nigerian University as minimum requirement for all elective positions.. cool cool (Politicians kids and UK/USA Universities self)

Nigeria Youths Kwenu cool cool cool
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by jeeqaa7(m): 10:07pm On May 28, 2016
I might be young . But I have the Heart of a President .. 2019 might be too early. But its never late .

Jika for president .. Vote Wisely
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by geraldgiz(m): 10:07pm On May 28, 2016
Happy to join nairaland today officially as a member, I av always been a member but now I am a nairalanders, I hope I will enjoy my membership here.
On the bill issue, it's a nice step to really encourage youth participation in politics, up naija

1 Like

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 28, 2016
Good development.
Not cool to be banned mehn.
FP dedicated to Kafy mcKoe

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by Tobium1(m): 10:08pm On May 28, 2016
Abeg after dis one, dey shld propose a bill to scrap out "state of origin". Those in support click like

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by VocalWalls: 10:10pm On May 28, 2016
Here's how we'll take over.
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by TrumpDonald(m): 10:10pm On May 28, 2016
That's good. They should also reduce the price of the nomination tickets just as the prices of these cars have been reduced

Both cars are almost sold but could still be yours smiley
The highest bidder and the first to inspect/pay wins
Don't miss this

https://www.nairaland.com/3132508/new-neat-registered-toyota-corolla

https://www.nairaland.com/3131002/new-registered-camry-spider-2007

Thank You.
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by Nobody: 10:10pm On May 28, 2016
This is a cheering news. I should be able to throw my hat in the ring in 2019 if the bill becomes a law.
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by jeeqaa7(m): 10:10pm On May 28, 2016
Emmanuella for president ... I guess she isn't too young
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by 982ABU(m): 10:11pm On May 28, 2016
hahahahah

Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by Oforleta(m): 10:11pm On May 28, 2016
If I can vote at the age of 18, I don't see any reason I should not be voted for at the same age
Re: Bill To Lower Age To Contest In Elections Passes First Reading In NASS by Cutehector(m): 10:11pm On May 28, 2016
Let ur will be done, oh Lord

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram Releases Video Of Abducted Oil Exploration Workers From The Universit / Presidential/ NASS Polls: We’re Disappointed, Afenifere, PANDEF, Others Fume / Buhari Won't Sign Budget Unless National Assembly Provides Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.