Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,080 members, 7,835,644 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" (12121 Views)

Leo Ogor Could Be Sacked Over 6-Month Sickness / Why Nigerians Should Resist The Proposed Christian "Ecclesiastical" Court Bill / Dogara, Lasun, Leo Ogor Padded The 2016 Budget - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by mmsen: 10:08am On May 29, 2016
Nigeria is a secular nation with secular laws.

If you wish to impose nonsensical middle eastern backwardness then leave the union of Nigeria, form your own nation and enjoy your religious laws on your own.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by hunkydory(m): 10:09am On May 29, 2016
pedrilo:
One nigeria but different laws. Are we truly ONE like dis?
We are not one, we don't want to be one, and we can not be one. Oneness comes from the heart and not by shouting One Nigeria.
The One Nigeria ideology is a scam. There are two nations in this country forcefully joined together by the colonial masters.
Have you ever heard Americans saying One USA or the British saying One United Kingdom? .Are they not one?.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by freshvine(f): 10:14am On May 29, 2016
There should be only one constitutional law in Nigeria which is a secular state and such law should cater for all irrespective of religion or faith.

This Muslims should stop embarrassing the generality of Nigerians by importing sharia by way of constitutional discourse in the Nations assembly. Let their local Chiefs and custodian of their beliefs handle Sharia in their local communities.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by Tex42(m): 10:15am On May 29, 2016
truefact:
Yet why would some states use sharia law while other states use constitutional law?

Why are some people required to obey sharia laws while others obey constitutional law?

Beats my imagination bro.

The North should just drop this sharia thing and concentrate on the security challenges bedeviling their region.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by mart2k(m): 10:17am On May 29, 2016
Assistance:
During election we were telling these folks that the northerners especially Buhari got something in his sleeves.. They didn't hear..tinubu was in the quest of being a godfather forgetting that these northerners ain't your friends.. Now they got the president, the speaker.. Watch how they will gradually Islamize Nigeria..
Na u and ur family wil be islamised.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by PapaBaby: 10:20am On May 29, 2016
Small small we are inching towards becoming a full Islamic country.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by emerged01(m): 10:21am On May 29, 2016
Nonsense!! If that is the case,let us divide this country. Why would one part be under sharia law, and the other under constitution? If we can't, then let us practice regional system of government.

1 Like

Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by krak101(m): 10:22am On May 29, 2016
Someone learned in these matters should please clear my doubts.
1. Is sharia law applicable to non-Muslims in areas where sharia laws are in place?
2. Does a Muslim have the right to decide which law to be tried by- whether constitutional or sharia.
3. Does the sharia law in any way conflict with the constitutional law?
Thank you in advance

1 Like

Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by lastpage: 10:29am On May 29, 2016
agabusta:
Do not panic over Sharia court bill –Reps

The Speaker, Mr. Yakubu Dogara, who presided over the session, had allowed the bill to scale second reading without debate on the grounds of its “sensitive” nature.

The House had also noted that since it was a constitution amendment bill, it should be referred to the Ad Hoc Committee on Constitution Review where it would be adequately discussed.

However, the passage of the bill raised fears after the term “jurisdiction” was reportedly misconstrued for expanding Sharia Law to states other than where it currently applies.

In his proposal, Salame sought to amend sections 262 and 277 of the 1999 Constitution to add “criminal” to the existing provisions.

Ogor said, “The ‘jurisdiction’ of the court referred to in sections 262 and 277 of the constitution means the powers of the court in states where it already exists, not expanding Sharia to other parts of the country, no.

“The amendment sought to these sections is to add ‘criminal’ to the existing jurisdiction it has on ‘civil litigation.’ That is the jurisdiction that is being expanded, not the expansion of Sharia Law itself.”

Those concerned will be invited to come and give their opinions on how the added powers of the court will affect them and so on.

“Nobody is expanding Sharia to anywhere. Members of the public should not panic over this at all.”

http://www.punchng.com/dont-panic-sharia-court-bill-reps/

These Islamic fanatics should STFU!

Nigeria is not a Muslim or Christian country but a SECULAR COUNTRY!

There are adherents of both faiths living in all parts of the country and as such, it is criminal to even attempt to make one of the Religions, a STATE RELIGION in any part of the federation.

Just imagine if for example, if Lagos decides it will apply "Christian laws" in the dispensation of Justice, on all residents of Lagos?
How will this be fair to Muslims living in Lagos?

These Northern Assembly members should STOP stoking religious trouble in Nigeria.

Sharia is still being tolerated on the local level but now, they want to EXPAND IT?

Dont we have enough Amputee in the country already?
How many "bug men" who looted the treasury have their Sharia-nonsense cut their limbs... or is it just a case of "Big thieves and treasury looters" make sadistic and savage laws for "small thieves"?

Whats wrong with these HEediots?

And Dogara is a Religious fanatic otherwise, while would he just pass the bill over second reading, without a debate...citing "sensitive nature"?
How can you make laws over people without a robust debate and hearing the view of others that are affected, in a plural society like Nigeria?

Every non-Muslim |(and even some Muslims) is concerned... and would you want all of them in their millions to come and defend themselves at the House of Rep?
[b]What manner of sneaky and tricky tactics is this?

Let them know that there is no worse war than a religiously stoked war because "both sides will take it they are doing it to protect their religion".

Better these fools let "sleeping Dogs lie".[/b]

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by liasmiram: 10:42am On May 29, 2016
HiddenShadow:
Buhari and his demonic Sharia law will never see the light of day
. Who is this fool?It seem you have comprehension problem.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by gasgenius(m): 10:49am On May 29, 2016
MrKong:

Why are you afraid for your limbs eh?...are you a thief?

It's not like Sharia law is a new thing in the other parts of Nigeria sef....what do you think Jungle Justice is?

Nigerians and their hypocrisy cheesy
Like bombing is not a new tin in the other partsof nigeria self , what do u think bokoharam is ?
Nigeria and their hyper crazy
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by WeNigerDelta2: 10:49am On May 29, 2016
Why in the world is he saying this like it is a good thing and we should all be okay with this...
Why should a religious law cover criminals proceedings? Are our penal/criminal codes no longer enough? Why should these laws be interepreted on the basis of ones religious believes instead of the law?
Maybe it's just me that this is not making any sense to. We already have laws that take care of criminal proceedings nationwide, there is no need to expand the scope of a weird religious whatever to include that...

1 Like

Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by omonnakoda: 10:54am On May 29, 2016
ckmayoca:
It can only be allow in states that practices such faith if at all but can never be the whole of Nig.
That is a limited understanding. The same constitution says the country shall not adopt any religion. Therefore having ANY KIND of Sharia court is already a contradiction but this may be countered by the argument that Native and Customary courts exist elsewhere. The fact remains that there is an inherent contradiction which is about to be expanded with this idea. It is a stealth form of Islamization and should be rejected. It is strange that the south always find themselves strategically on the defensive being reactive rather than proactive. What should be happening is a robust challenge of the constitutionality of the Sharia law adopted by states in the North. To talk of a Sharia penal code in any part of Nigeria is absurd. In practice who will it apply to,who will it not apply to? What happens when there is conflict between a Muslim and Non Muslim .It is a totally unworkable idea. The prelude to this kind of law should be true federalism divesting sovereignty to the states .Then everyone can do what he likes.

1 Like

Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by ASDFBOY: 11:06am On May 29, 2016
whatever u people do is not our biz. sharia wetin? did we tell u we scared? make una wait till tomatoe enter 5 for 5k na dt time we go no who the real speakers are!
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by ckmayoca: 11:09am On May 29, 2016
omonnakoda:
That is a limited understanding. The same constitution says the country shall not adopt any religion. Therefore having ANY KIND of Sharia court is already a contradiction but this may be countered by the argument that Native and Customary courts exist elsewhere. The fact remains that there is an inherent contradiction which is about to be expanded with this idea. It is a stealth form of Islamization and should be rejected. It is strange that the south always find themselves strategically on the defensive being reactive rather than proactive. What should be happening is a robust challenge of the constitutionality of the Sharia law adopted by states in the North. To talk of a Sharia penal code in any part of Nigeria is absurd. In practice who will it apply to,who will it not apply to? What happens when there is conflict between a Muslim and Non Muslim .It is a totally unworkable idea. The prelude to this kind of law should be true federalism divesting sovereignty to the states .Then everyone can do what he likes.

You actually made good points.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by goodgate: 11:09am On May 29, 2016
Assistance:
During election we were telling these folks that the northerners especially Buhari got something in his sleeves.. They didn't hear..tinubu was in the quest of being a godfather forgetting that these northerners ain't your friends.. Now they got the president, the speaker.. Watch how they will gradually Islamize Nigeria..
So can't read and understand?It was explained in clear terms that it was just an amendment to increase its powers within territories where the Sharia had been in existence.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by Nobody: 11:13am On May 29, 2016
I disagree with you. There are countries that have different law provisions for certain regions/state etc. Our federal law still reign supreme over the penal code and I don't see how penal code has encouraged islamisation since it was introduced.

omonnakoda:
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by Feshizzy(m): 11:19am On May 29, 2016
goodgate:
So can't read and understand?It was explained in clear terms that it was just an amendment to increase its powers within territories where the Sharia had been in existence.
That is what they want us to believe in fine prints.
But the real reason is always written where you can't find them easily, till they decide to us it.
Some members has made solid point above what you and I posted.
Either way, what is the need of this ammendments, have you just sit to think about that for one seconds,
Well, to me the fetish arm cutter of running short of who to amputee, so he is looking is widen is scope of reach. grin grin
They want to cripple Nigerians as a whole, just imagine a sleeveless nation. undecided
At this point it is wise to to say " who Sharia Law don epp"
Middle finger to the Sharia Law, till Saraki is first amputee then the law is irrelevant at this point in time.
Criticism is welcomed with open arms.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by omonnakoda: 11:20am On May 29, 2016
daretodiffer:
I disagree with you. There are countries that have different law provisions for certain regions/state etc. Our federal law still reign supreme over the penal code and I don't see how penal code has encouraged islamisation since it was introduced.

Yes there are countries that have different laws I agree with you grin,
Did you comprehend what I wrote before disagreeing? What do you disagree with. You seem to be disagreeing with me on something I DID NOT SAY smiley

We are not talking about laws here .We are talking about the constitution and THE EFFECT the proposed change will have.

Please name ONE COUNTRY,,just one I beg you where there is Sharia law in some parts and not others

Let me explain clearly if you missed the point . We are being told that if you are a Nigerian in a so called sharia state and you are not a Muslim it won't apply to you
Can you name any country where one law applies to one set of people and another law to another set of people in the same region ,state, etc
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by Feshizzy(m): 11:24am On May 29, 2016
daretodiffer:

Would you marry a short-sleeved man? undecided
My point is the Sharia has rendered thousands useless and have helped particularly no one. The law should be abolished.
The house should make a counter by abolishing this barbaric law. this isn't justice it's malice. Either way, if it's implemented the punk that started it should be check mated, you would be surprised after he has paid for his crimes that only body part left of him would be his skull because the cutting instrument has gone blunt and can't break it further. grin
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by codedguy1(m): 11:33am On May 29, 2016
MrKong:

Why are you afraid for your limbs eh?...are you a thief?

It's not like Sharia law is a new thing in the other parts of Nigeria sef....what do you think Jungle Justice is?

Nigerians and their hypocrisy cheesy

I guess you are immune to barbaric tendencies. I don't have to be a thief to know that the act of chopping off peoples limps for offences like just stealing an apple in the market place is for barbarians. If you are a barbarian then I understand. The sad thing is this aspect of the law will be swiftly applied to the poorest of the poor when they commit a minor offence.

I know sharia is not a new thing, which means we have not really been hearing of how they have been resolving cases. But we also know that even with the present state of the sharia law practised we cry out when these barbaric acts come out to the fore.

It also means that inputing this particular criminal law will make it legal.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by Nobody: 11:33am On May 29, 2016
1) Youe mentioned how it would encourage islamisation which you called a stealth form of islamisation. I was merely disagreeing with you on that.
2)I don't but I don't think it is so different from US states where a state law clearly contravenes a federal law on the basis of religious convcition and norms but still enforceable. I think that situation is worse than the situation in this instance. Regardless, I don't see why it should matter a Muslim is expected to live his/her life according to Sharia and it is up to these Muslims to reject it. If they can't come together to speak up, why should I worry such about it

omonnakoda:
Yes there are countries that have different laws I agree with you grin,
Did you comprehend what I wrote before disagreeing? What do you disagree with. You seem to be disagreeing with me on something I DID NOT SAY smiley

We are not talking about laws here .We are talking about the constitution and THE EFFECT the proposed change will have.

Please name ONE COUNTRY,,just one I beg you where there is Sharia law in some parts and not others

Let me explain clearly if you missed the point . We are being told that if you are a Nigerian in a so called sharia state and you are not a Muslim it won't apply to you
Can you name any country where one law applies to one set of people and another law to another set of people in the same region ,state, etc
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by 2n2k(m): 11:35am On May 29, 2016
mmsen:
Nigeria is a secular nation with secular laws.

If you wish to impose nonsensical middle eastern backwardness then leave the union of Nigeria, form your own nation and enjoy your religious laws on your own.

Secular laws. Secular nation. Really? How secular is Sunday as compulsory non-working day throughout the nation? Afterall Sunday is a working day in Isreal.

The problem is that we southerners behave as if the northerners have no rights except the ones we magnanimously concede to them.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by omonnakoda: 11:37am On May 29, 2016
goodgate:
We understand. We understand that such an increase will create immense constitutional difficulties. We understand that in those places where it is "in existence" such existence has already been expanded UNCONSTITUTIONALLY by the governors during Obasanjo's era and it is that unconstitutionality that they are now trying to perfect and normalize. We understand a lot more than you give us credit for. We understand that it is not workable and has never happened ANYWHERE where you have one penal code for one part of the population and another for another part without one becoming dominant and the other inferior. Sharia law requires unbelievers(Dhimmi) to pay Jizya. Sharia law also in its true form cannot be subordinate to any man made constitution and so this idea is totally incompatible with the constitutional provision that there shall be no state religion. That provision will have to go. We understand that very well.

Oh yes we understand
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by Feshizzy(m): 11:39am On May 29, 2016
Please as they amend the law, they should also amend my village law too and ever single village law in Nigeria and let's see how it plays out.
For the recs, there are more than 2000+ villages, let us all partake in it.
Now that's justice.
Else they shove the demonic law into their a**es.
The fact we don't know yet, is that the law doesn't end there, very soon you would here of Sharia police and more Sharia nonsense. This is just the smokescreen, the real deal would be warming up if they don't cut this virus out.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by Nobody: 11:41am On May 29, 2016
I understand what you are talking about now. It is not workable.

omonnakoda:
We understand. We understand that such an increase will create immense constitutional difficulties. We understand that in those places where it is "in existence" such existence has already been expanded UNCONSTITUTIONALLY by the governors during Obasanjo's era and it is that unconstitutionality that they are now trying to perfect and normalize. We understand a lot more than you give us credit for. We understand that it is not workable and has never happened ANYWHERE where you have one penal code for one part of the population and another for another part without one becoming dominant and the other inferior. Sharia law requires unbelievers(Dhimmi) to pay Jizya. Sharia law also in its true form cannot be subordinate to any man made constitution and so this idea is totally incompatible with the constitutional provision that there shall be no state religion. That provision will have to go. We understand that very well.

Oh yes we understand
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by mmsen: 11:41am On May 29, 2016
2n2k:

Secular laws. Secular nation. Really? How secular is Sunday as compulsory non-working day throughout the nation? Afterall Sunday is a working day in Isreal.

The problem is that we southerners don't believe northerners have any rights except the ones we magnanimously concede to them.

Most nations have a day or two allocated for rest. That is not religious but based upon the reality that human beings need rest otherwise employers will work their employees to the bone.

If they wish to have Islamic laws let them break away to form an Islamic nation. Nigeria was not founded as a religious nation - the constitution states that it is secular "10. The Government of the Federation or of a State shall not adopt any religion as State Religion." A new Islamic republic would require new borders, a new constitution, new currency and a new source of revenue that is not Niger Delta oil or tax receipts from Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by Nobody: 11:45am On May 29, 2016
1) What does Islam have to do with wearing short sleeves?undecided
2) I disagree with your second submission. You can't prove it.
3) Don't ever call it barbaric. If you don't like it, say so but you have no fvcking right to demean it
4) You are the type that gets things upside down, please do not quote me again

Feshizzy:

Would you marry a short-sleeved man? undecided
My point is the Sharia has rendered thousands useless and have helped particularly no one. The law should be abolished.
The house should make a counter by abolishing this barbaric law. this isn't justice it's malice. Either way, if it's implemented the punk that started it should be check mated, you would be surprised after he has paid for his crimes that only body part left of him would be his skull because the cutting instrument has gone blunt and can't break it further. grin
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by Feshizzy(m): 11:45am On May 29, 2016
mmsen:

Most nations have a day or two allocated for rest. That is not religious but based up the reality that human beings need rest otherwise employers will work their employees to the bone.

Like I said, if they wish to have Islamic laws let them break away to form an Islamic nation. Nigeria was not founded as a religious nation - the constitution states that it is secular. A new Islamic republic would require new borders, a new boundary and a new source of revenue that is not Niger Delta oil or tax receipts from Lagos.
Well Said mate, Well Said.
They literally do not contribute the the economy growth only by populating everywhere.
The only thing they where contributing on is tomatoes, now see where it has landed us.
One can't even throw away the seed of tomatoes.
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by omonnakoda: 11:49am On May 29, 2016
2n2k:

The problem is that we southerners behave as if the northerners have no rights except the ones we magnanimously concede to them.
That is a historical issue based on who colonized us.It can and should be renegotiated but it is TOTALLY irrelevant to the discussion.In fact I advocate a system where the government opens 7 days a week and workers can negotiate locally which two days they want to take off and a fixed number of public Holidays so e.g if you are Muslim you go to work on Christmas Day and Good Friday and if you are traditionalist or atheist you nominate your own days as well.That is an interesting discussion but the reality is Mon-Friday persists as working days because of the dominance of the US economy stock markets and the need to align with the rest of the world which incidentally are not that interested in Christianity.
Anyhow it is an interesting but irrelevant subject worthyy of separate debate.

The truth is the stronger the clamour for more adoption of Sharia the more likely it is that we have to go our separate ways just like in Sudan.
The position in the south is we do not want religion in government but if the north feel strongly about it then we should negotiate the union. That is why I feel the military defeat of Boko Haram is not a solution.If people genuinely want to live in a sharia country they cannot be forced to do otherwise. But the converse is equally true for those that do not
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by Nobody: 11:50am On May 29, 2016
Where else in the world do you have a state where two entirely different justice systems compete for powers & prominence?
Re: Sharia Court Bill: Leo Ogor Speaks - "Nobody Is Expanding Sharia To Anywhere" by mmsen: 11:52am On May 29, 2016
SnowJay92:
Where else in the world does two entirely different justice systems compete for powers?

Malaysia, where you have Islamic police harassing people in hotels who they think are Muslims committing 'fornication'.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Niger Delta Republic:ARE IMO,ONDO,and ABIA STATES part of the proposed republic? / Court Dismisses Diezani Alison-Madueke’s Application For Trial In Nigeria / APC Plans Buni, Oyetola, Bello’s Removal From Caretaker Team, Eyes Interim Exco

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.