Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,005 members, 7,835,408 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Democracy Day Speech By ONNI, Joseph Yusuf - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Democracy Day Speech By ONNI, Joseph Yusuf (335 Views)

Oby Ezekwesili: "Buhari's Independence Day Speech Is Divisive & Uninspiring" / 2017 Democracy Day Speech By Osinbajo, Acting President (Video) / Democracy Day Speech By Yemi Osinbajo, The Acting President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Democracy Day Speech By ONNI, Joseph Yusuf by onni19: 8:31am On May 29, 2016
I celebrate with all citizens of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for an interrupted 17 years of Democratic rule. It is my prayer that Jehovah/Allah would keep us in unison beyond the present and catapult us to the realm of accelerated landmark achievement in subsequent years to come (AMEN)
Nigeria has made marginal differences from being under the military rule preceding 29th of May, 1999 to the present despite some challenges and hiccups we face. It is expedient that Nigerians admit that the challenges we face as a Democratic Nation are linked to the transition point we currently stand around the scheme of transition from an “Autocratic Government” to a “Democratic Government”. Hence, the implementation of the Adopted-Democratic System of Government are yet to be fully accomplished talk-less of making possible adjustment that suits our vast nation with approximately 250 ethnic and tribal groups
Celebrating such a memorable day without paying tributes to the fallen heroes who had labored endlessly to ensure we became an independent nation on 1st of October 1960 would be incomplete. The list is endless but however, as a nation, we jointly appreciate you
We also have the fathers of democracy who had insisted that “a government for the people by the people” was essential at a stage we got to in Nigeria. By this, I mean those who had believed that the voice of every Nigerians all across the 6 Geo-Political Zones, 36 States of the Federation 109 Senatorial Districts, 360 House of Representatives Seats and approximately 250 Ethnic Groups in Nigeria. We arise to celebrate you in unison an it is our prayers that all your labours would not be in vain as we strive to also make your effort counts in the future that beckon on us briskly
The present administration of the Federal Republic of Nigeria led by President Muhammadu Buhari was sworn-in about a year ago with a high-anticipatory spirit from all citizens who had believed that the “CHANGE” has come having voted the ruling party out of power during the first quarter of the previous year. As at the present, the administration had completed a “Democratic Year” with some visible changes
A point of campaign during the last election by the present administration was the “high level of corruption” in the governmental system of our dear nation. I am bold to say that the present administration, to a large extent, had shown a zero-tolerance for corruption. For the first time in history, we heard that people in possession of the Nation’s money willingly returning it either due to fears of prosecution or whatever reason. However, many Nigerians observed the biasedness of the anti-graft war and had accused the ruling party to limiting the anti-graft war to the opposition party. I beckon on the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria to look into the observation of his fellow countrymen and do justice to it either by a press statement stating reason why it seemed so or by checking around him to ensure that their claims were either false or true. However, I must sincerely commend the effort of the Grand Commander of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for his great antecedents in the anti-graft war
On the economy, I appreciate all Nigerians who had been placed in the helm of affairs as it regards the economy of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. However, I hold that the past 365 days the present administration has brought glaring and unbearable hardship on the fellow citizens of my fatherland ranging from crash in stock market to a speedy rate of inflation which Nigeria Bureau of Statistics estimated at 13.17% but the reality shows that inflation is quite over 100% as a lot of good have had their amount doubled in the past 365 days. It was reported that our GDP nose-dive to the all-time lowest in 25 years depicted by -0.36%
On Security, I appreciate the Presidency and its security team for a job well-done in projecting the legacy laid down by the previous administration at the peak of its exit. Today, terrorism for no-just-cause had been reduced to the barest minimum in our nation. The strides achieved in the successful rescuing of Boko Haram victims and re-claiming of seized territories is praise-worthy
On Information Dissemination from the Federal Government, high rate of disparity is been notice from information released to the public by different Federal Government key agents and this has shown that there is need for an internal briefing on policies and their effects before being announced to the public so that when the press/masses ask question from different government agents, the answers given should be unanimous and truthful from possible analysis
On Treasury Single Account, the fact that we had accumulated a lot of savings from funds which would have gone out as a result of ludicrous expenses by some government parastatals and establishments cannot be doubted for any reason. I respect the President Muhammadu Buhari led Government for not thrashing this idea from the previous administration which had done a lot of benefits to accountability in our country
On Niger Delta Avengers, I am sorry to say that the approach by the Federal Government to attacking their agitations which is gradually crippling the income of the country might not be ideal in a democratic system of governance. On the analysis of their reasons for agitation according to their release claimed to be sourced from their website, they have some justified reasons that should not just be thrashed by the Federal Government but rather, they should be duly considered with no selfish aim/interest. The approach of the Federal Government is a threat to the Democratic System of our Nation and the peaceful co-existence of our One-Nigeria
Finally, I encourage Nigerians to put on the armor of Hope, Patience and Endurance. We voted for a “CHANGE” and then, it must also cost us. I am yet to ascertain the direction of the present administration because all their policies are so random such that it did not conform to the framework of any developed country. However, we might be on the brink of making history. I hope and wish my fellow countrymen the grace to survive through the present moments
God Bless Federal Republic of Nigeria
God Bless President Muhammadu Buhari
God Bless Nigerians

ONNI, Joseph Yusuf

(1) (Reply)

BUHARI'S Scorecard After 365 Days / Nigerian Youth / Sick Buhari Cancels Another Trip To Senegal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.