Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,572 members, 7,823,492 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:49 AM

Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? (3954 Views)

Is Glo Now Giving Unlimited Data / Is Glo Back With Their Senses Or Just Another Computer Glitch / Is Glo Cursed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Timmyspy(m): 8:55am On May 30, 2016
I made a discovery I consider shocking . I noticed that if I turn my phone's, data on my GPS automatically turns on immediately. I did some snooping around and investigated the matter. I thought it was an app I installed that was responsible. I noticed similar Complaints online. And a few of them diagnosed the problem as a network carrier (SIM) problem. I decided to test the hypothesis. When I did, it became a theory. The Glo Sim was responsible. I tried it with my Airtel and the GPS was still off. To make sure my phone wasn't the culprit, I took it a step further, found someone with a MTK chipset android phone like mine who is using a Glo Sim and checked. Lo and behold, no sooner was the data turned on than the GPS came on automatically.
If you use a Glo Sim, please check if it does the same thing on your Android phone (whether it is mtk chipset or not). We must stop this intrusion into our personal lives.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by sampete(m): 9:57am On May 30, 2016
Happens to me too, almost formatted my phone after searching for the app turning on the GPS to no avail. later got to find out Glo was responsible when I changed the sim.

1 Like

Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by W3xy1(m): 10:38am On May 30, 2016
you are nt alone bro. It has happen to me several times as well
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by buchi4action(m): 10:43am On May 30, 2016
I noticed that too, I have this feelings that GLO Is spying on us

1 Like

Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by iliyande(m): 12:28pm On May 30, 2016
The day I noticed that, I immediately changed to airtel

1 Like

Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by gen2briz(m): 12:39pm On May 30, 2016
Afraid not,they only what to know the location of android phones using their BlackBerry plan.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Nobody: 12:43pm On May 30, 2016
same here....that's serious
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by elvision1(m): 12:55pm On May 30, 2016
Lmao! They don't need to spy on you with a GPS. The moment your sim gets activated they already pinpointed your location. The reason Customer Care always asks you "where are you are calling from" is just Verification formalities.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Nobody: 1:28pm On May 30, 2016
Stay scared. When your phone gets stolen is the time you'd realize this is a useful feature.

1 Like

Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Chukazu: 1:52pm On May 30, 2016
Nothing new.. hardly a tech company or social networking sites that doesn't spy on you.. Google, Facebook, snappchat, instagram, Apple, twitter and whole lot of them.

check out the Adds that are sent to your phone... they are all related to your chat history. so "uncle Sam is watching you!"

5 Likes

Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by olahero(m): 2:16pm On May 30, 2016
They are trying to spot/monitoring their network signals not spying.

1 Like

Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Timmyspy(m): 3:01pm On May 30, 2016
gen2briz:
Afraid not,they only what to know the location of android phones using their BlackBerry plan.
I am using the regular android 1K plan, not the BB bundle. Does it happen too on blackberry phone
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Timmyspy(m): 3:11pm On May 30, 2016
Chukazu:
Nothing new.. hardly a tech company or social networking sites that doesn't spy on you.. Google, Facebook, snappchat, instagram, Apple, twitter and whole lot of them.

check out the Adds that are sent to your phone... they are all related to your chat history. so "uncle Sam is watching you!"
This is way different from that. Once you on your mobile data YOUR GPS COMES ON TOO. THAT'S A BIG DEAL
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Timmyspy(m): 3:19pm On May 30, 2016
olahero:
They are trying to spot/monitoring their network signals not spying.
They don't need the global positioning system to do that.
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Timmyspy(m): 3:23pm On May 30, 2016
charix:
Stay scared. When your phone gets stolen is the time you'd realize this is a useful feature.
I know you're joking, right?
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by calddon(m): 3:30pm On May 30, 2016
Conspiracy theory grin which secret organization is using glo as a front in a covert operation to spy on Nigerians? lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Youngpo413: 3:36pm On May 30, 2016
It only happens in all those cheap mediaTek smartphones. Use snapdragon.
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Emexicoman(m): 3:39pm On May 30, 2016
I thought it was my phones fault... Notice it lately
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Youngpo413: 3:42pm On May 30, 2016
Thanks to Samsung and Oasis Feng.
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Nobody: 3:44pm On May 30, 2016
Battled my phone to no avail. That GPS ish can be so annoying. Funny enuf I use a Glo sim undecided

Maybe there's some form of truth to this.
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Timmyspy(m): 4:09pm On May 30, 2016
Youngpo413:
It only happens in all those cheap mediaTek smartphones. Use snapdragon.
I know you' typed that from a Java phone with the mb you got after loading the 100h you borrowed from your mate.
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by 9japride(m): 4:48pm On May 30, 2016
charix:
[color=#006600][/color]

Those network providers won't help u at all. I lost my phone and I called my network provider for assistance they told me their system can't help me.
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Youngpo413: 5:06pm On May 30, 2016
Timmyspy:
I know you' typed that from a Java phone with the mb you got after loading the 100h you borrowed from your mate.
yeah you are right...
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Birniwa(m): 5:14pm On May 30, 2016
No, Glo is not really spying on its customer. The company is only trying to know every customer's location so they can deliver goodies directly to your doorstep.

3 Likes

Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by oluwafreshkid(m): 5:32pm On May 30, 2016
Timmyspy:
They don't need the g[b]lobal positioning system[/b] to do that.

No need to write GPS in full na
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by 2pep(m): 5:44pm On May 30, 2016
MTN has joined too undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Realdeals(m): 6:24pm On May 30, 2016
It doesn't happen everywhere, it's location dependent. Why? I don't know.
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Nobody: 6:43pm On May 30, 2016
9japride:
[color=#006600][/color]

Those network providers won't help u at all. I lost my phone and I called my network provider for assistance they told me their system can't help me.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

1 Like

Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Boscojugunu(m): 7:14pm On May 30, 2016
U are damn right
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by ilovetheline: 7:22pm On May 30, 2016
Timmyspy:
I made a discovery I consider shocking . I noticed that if I turn my phone's, data on my GPS automatically turns on immediately. I did some snooping around and investigated the matter. I thought it was an app I installed that was responsible. I noticed similar Complaints online. And a few of them diagnosed the problem as a network carrier (SIM) problem. I decided to test the hypothesis. When I did, it became a theory. The Glo Sim was responsible. I tried it with my Airtel and the GPS was still off. To make sure my phone wasn't the culprit, I took it a step further, found someone with a MTK chipset android phone like mine who is using a Glo Sim and checked. Lo and behold, no sooner was the data turned on than the GPS came on automatically.
If you use a Glo Sim, please check if it does the same thing on your Android phone (whether it is mtk chipset or not). We must stop this intrusion into our personal lives.
we have to be heard https://www.nairaland.com/3136526/pioneer-youth-movement-save-futurettp://www.nairaland.com/3136526/pioneer-youth-movement-save-future
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by Nobody: 9:10pm On May 30, 2016
Paranoia at its peak!
Re: Is Glo Nigeria Spying On Us? by emeijeh(m): 9:32pm On May 30, 2016
I thought i was alone here.
It started this month (May)

What does glo mobile stand to gain with this?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tecno W3 Screen Malfunction / Xiaomi Airdots / What Is The Price Of A New Mtn Fastlink Modem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.