Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,485 members, 7,826,835 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) (3950 Views)

Nigerian Soldiers Are Preparing For The Easter Season In The North. PICS / Martin Patience Joins Nigerian Soldiers In The Combat Region In The North(pics) / Terrorism: Telecom Firms Threaten To Cut Off North (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by gadogado(m): 3:58pm On Aug 23, 2009
Many nairalanders are now fond of either blaming the north for Nigeria's problems or accusing the north of living and accepting poverty. well here are some pics that tell you poverty is a nigerian phenomenon not just the north. look and comment. all these pics are from southern states.

Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by gadogado(m): 3:59pm On Aug 23, 2009
keep looking

Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by gadogado(m): 4:08pm On Aug 23, 2009
and some more

Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by ikeyman00(m): 1:22am On Aug 24, 2009
too bad
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by Nobody: 2:13am On Aug 24, 2009

anything familiar about this photo?

yes- all the bus pushers are women plus a boy. One is even pushing with a baby on her back.
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by CrudeOil2(m): 2:16am On Aug 24, 2009
The northerners are the poorest in the country.
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by Jaylon(m): 2:18am On Aug 24, 2009
Nigeria as a whole has poor people across the country, but the Northerners are poorer.

Even the Arewa leadership readily admits it.
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by snoopy(m): 7:58am On Aug 24, 2009
poverty is widespread in Nìgeria but it is more pronounced in the north! and the reason the northerners are the poorest and will continue to remain poor is because of their retrogressive thinking, old fashioned ideologies, overly conservativeness and contentment with their level of education and skills acquisition! i mean look around you, northerners are the shoe makers, nail washers, cheap labourers and the bulk of street beggers on the streets, some with strange diseases so repugnant, you cant even look at it are of course from the north! you hardly find a northerner occupying a top managerial position in any big firm with national recognition nor in social circuits! in short NORTHERNERS ARE THE POOREST!, and the MOST BACKWARD!
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by illusion2: 8:46am On Aug 24, 2009
very funny indeed. Competing for the highest honour in mediocrity undecided
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by blackspade(m): 9:00am On Aug 24, 2009
Arguing about who's pooer, eh? Nigeria as a whole is one giant poor country. There are people living in ABJECT POVERTY all over this county!! Everywhere, no exceptions!

So just shut the hell up with this nonsense and do something meaningful with your lives.

@ gadogado

U dey jobless? Recession don took ur cleaning job?

http://www.delta.com/

Better leave before ICE finds your visa overstaying ass.
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by gadogado(m): 9:46am On Aug 24, 2009
@blackspade, im a northerner, live in the U.S and im an american citizen!! so go eat your heart!! but you know what, when im done with my masters, ill go back to nigeria!!how many northerners do you see running away to go live in the west?
Poverty is a nigerian problem. to squarely accuse the north of backwardness is just the way southerners engage in scapegoating and i suppose it makes you guys feel better or bigger than the north. well there's only two classes of people in nigeria, the poor and the big men and we all know that the big men conive with each other without giving tribalism a second thought, they then tell the poor that they should worry about tribes and religion so as to distract them!!if you cant wrap your head around that concept then i fell bad for you!!.

2 Likes

Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by princekevo(m): 12:04pm On Aug 24, 2009
Room for rent, lol. Wht a bungalow for rent,
I really weep for that so called country Nigeria, seeing all this kind of poverty that exist in there.
The suffering in tht country has reached the peoples bone-marrow,
That still remains the major problem in Nigerian today, coz we are so much acclamatised with the suffering until it has become a normal way of life for Nigerians, So no one is complaining abt it anymore,
If not wht again can moltivate Nigerians to fight for their freedom,
We are really enslaved this time by our fellow black brothers and we need to regain our freedom back.
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by illusion2: 3:21pm On Aug 24, 2009
gadogado:

@blackspade, im a northerner, live in the U.S and im an american citizen!! so go eat your heart!! but you know what, when im done with my masters, ill go back to nigeria!!how many northerners do you see running away to go live in the west?
Poverty is a nigerian problem. to squarely accuse the north of backwardness is just the way southerners engage in scapegoating and i suppose it makes you guys feel better or bigger than the north. well there's only two classes of people in nigeria, the poor and the big men and we all know that the big men conive with each other without giving tribalism a second thought, they then tell the poor that they should worry about tribes and religion so as to distract them!!if you cant wrap your head around that concept then i fell bad for you!!.
i like your 'righteous' anger gadogado wink, but with all due respect I think you may be too young to understand.

If indeed you go back to Nigeria to 'fix things',one of 2 things will happen
1. You'll either end up joinging the 'choppers' or
2. You go the Ribadu/El Rufai route and ultimately return run back to the USA.

Don't feel bad that people castigate the north so much,if things were working in Nigeria,there'll be little finger pointing. This happens everywhere in the world. In some parts of the US people say the blacks or latinos are responsible for crime,drugs etc . . . .its called stereotyping.

i enjoy your righteous anger,but naija is a very complex place.
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by gadogado(m): 7:05am On Aug 25, 2009
@ illusion2
im very aware of the situation in nigeria. however, for you to conclude that i either join the "chopper" or "run" to the U.S is unrealistic coz it suggests that you beleive that there is no honest means of making a living in nigeria and thats just not true. even if government, there are honest people though they're the minority. Nigeria is simply against the proactive corruption fighters like ribadu and co. that being said. i beleive that once the old generation dies off, nigeria will change coz there is more awareness with the youth and much more exposure coz of the more travelling, more technology like internet, and more of a globalized world, so when a young person goes to dubai, the first thing that comes to his or her mind is why is nigeria not like this, i beleive and i remain optimistic that nigeria will change with our generation. most of them grew up in the 50's in mud huts and tiny villages and cities that were empty,so what they have and see now is good enough for them but its not good enough for my generation!! atiku abubakar said in an interview that the first time he saw electricty was in secondary school, you get my point? so obviously he will be contented with the nigeria he has today!!but i wont be.

1 Like

Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by WackyJ1(m): 7:55am On Aug 25, 2009
@gadogado Thank you very much for that righteous speech in fact don't listen to anyone. You've got everything it takes to get a well paying job in any big company as soon as you land on the airport.
Can everyone see the problem in Nigeria now? We are busy telling ourselves that the North is poorest in the country and that though the south is poor the North is way poorer. Are they two different places? Are they not in the same country? Instead of us to open our eyes and see that in reality Nigeria has joined the bandwagon as one of the poor if not poorest countries in Nigeria and that we are the giant of African in mouth. The north and the south are not two different countries, if we keep saying that one is poor because we live in a rich environment or because we come from the south or west then how is Nigeria going to ever move forward? We need to stop lookin at tribal differences and start looking ways to improve Nigeria as a whole. It is this attitude of comparism from the likes of @snoppy that has kept this country where it is moving backward and backward every day. Plus and minus will always cancel each other out but plus and plus will equal 2plus or plus squared. That is the key to Nigeria's success.
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by illusion2: 9:56am On Aug 25, 2009
gadogado:

@ illusion2
im very aware of the situation in nigeria. however, for you to conclude that i either join the "chopper" or "run" to the U.S is unrealistic coz it suggests that you beleive that there is no honest means of making a living in nigeria and thats just not true. even if government, there are honest people though they're the minority.
Nobody's saying u can't get a honest job. I thought u said u want to go and 'change' things in Nigeria? undecided

If na work,u'll get work na. But to 'change' Nigeria or tribalism -that one no possible for now at least ? cool
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by nsibidi101(m): 10:06am On Aug 25, 2009
poverty in nigeria doesn't respect regions, only people find it hard to take up the priority of fighting corruption and halting it's spread.it's easier to resign to finger pointing and making jests along divisions.most people always find the easier path attractive.funny
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by deb(m): 10:20am On Aug 25, 2009
This is the part we find joy telling the whole world about. It is such the easier path.
@Poster what are you doing about the problem in your own immediate vicinity.

See, there is poverty everywhere in the whole world. Its not a news we just like to blow
our own out of proportion.
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by saintneo(m): 10:44am On Aug 25, 2009
this must be Lagos sorry outskirks of Lagos.
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by coolguyz(m): 11:27am On Aug 25, 2009
AH!, fashola must not read this page else some people will be homeless within the next 48hrs

room to let - chei, i laff in swahili grin cheesy grin
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by Gayigaskia(m): 3:35pm On Aug 25, 2009
True Northerners are poor but they don't sell their children for prostitution to get money and a lot of bad things that southerners are known of around the world. Go to these so called poor countries in west africa namely Niger republic, Benin republic, Mali, burkina, togo, tchad, , all you see there is southern women selling sex and you talk about poverty. my brothers poverty is as Nigerian as keke.
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by sjeezy8: 4:05pm On Aug 25, 2009
all you haters was it not you immigrants who made lagos like that now we sending you asses packing
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 25, 2009
nigeria we hail thee, our only native land, the world headquaters of tribalism, nepotism, corruption of unimmaginable magnitude, the land where the poor never say die the land that defies all economic laws, the land where the people are so blind that they alowed obasanjo to rob them thrice,the land where those who are suposed to be tied to stakes and shot are the ones on the helms of affair, no other land in the world grin grin grin can be greater than nigeria the land of my birth.
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by sjeezy8: 4:18pm On Aug 25, 2009
Lagos - before you monkeys/ immigrants came with your illiteracy, poverty and smelling habits

Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by sjeezy8: 4:19pm On Aug 25, 2009
go home we tired of yall
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by deb(m): 3:46pm On Aug 26, 2009
Those pics are old
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by mikolo80: 6:09am On Dec 31, 2015
gadogado:
dont bother yourself with petty minds. go back home and change things while they are busy thumping their chests
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by mikolo80: 6:10am On Dec 31, 2015
princekevo:
Room for rent, lol. Wht a bungalow for rent,
I really weep for that so called country Nigeria, seeing all this kind of poverty that exist in there.
The suffering in tht country has reached the peoples bone-marrow,
That still remains the major problem in Nigerian today, coz we are so much acclamatised with the suffering until it has become a normal way of life for Nigerians, So no one is complaining abt it anymore,
If not wht again can moltivate Nigerians to fight for their freedom,
We are really enslaved this time by our fellow black brothers and we need to regain our freedom back.
your weeping won't solve Nada. get involved, do something instead of weeping.
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by mikolo80: 6:12am On Dec 31, 2015
illusion2:
i like your 'righteous' anger gadogado wink, but with all due respect I think you may be too young to understand.

If indeed you go back to Nigeria to 'fix things',one of 2 things will happen
1. You'll either end up joinging the 'choppers' or
2. You go the Ribadu/El Rufai route and ultimately return run back to the USA.

Don't feel bad that people castigate the north so much,if things were working in Nigeria,there'll be little finger pointing. This happens everywhere in the world. In some parts of the US people say the blacks or latinos are responsible for crime,drugs etc . . . .its called stereotyping.

i enjoy your righteous anger,but naija is a very complex place.
is fashola not making headway. different ways to change things. if fayose can get away with his antics why can't gadogado change things in his state or local gwament. that you do not possess his resolve is no reason to scoff
Re: Who Says Poverty Is Only In The North (pics Of Abject Poverty In The South) by mikolo80: 6:15am On Dec 31, 2015
illusion2:
Nobody's saying u can't get a honest job. I thought u said u want to go and 'change' things in Nigeria? undecided

If na work,u'll get work na. But to 'change' Nigeria or tribalism -that one no possible for now at least ? cool
so when e go possible? cos you ignorant doesn't mean everyone is

(1) (Reply)

PHOTO : Another Deadly Virus Disease Arises Called Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever / List Of Governors-elect At A Glance / Agony Of Native Igbos In Benue State And Cry For Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.