Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,567 members, 7,820,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum (7990 Views)

Finding The Soul (A Purely Philosophical Thread.) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by johnydon22(m): 11:40am On Jun 01, 2016
Geofavor:
Err,,,, *prostrates for the bosses* can I come in?

The door is wider than infiniti + 1
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by Geofavor(m): 11:55am On Jun 01, 2016
johnydon22:

The door is wider than infiniti + 1
smiley
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by johnydon22(m): 11:59am On Jun 01, 2016
Geofavor:
smiley
we await your questions and submissions

1 Like

Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by Geofavor(m): 12:02pm On Jun 01, 2016
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by dorox(m): 1:27pm On Jun 01, 2016
johnydon22:

You see here is where the problem is, is the (0) really nothing? (Though is this case i am forgoing the ability of energy to be an uncreated value)

If V,T,E,M= 0 in this mathematical calories 0 is still greater than -1 -2 ...... till -infiniti therefore 0 remains something.

The empty set {} I talked about is the absolute zero which is very different from the relative zero you gave in your example that can be thought of as an arbitrary center chosen to represent lower or more negative value to the left of it and higher or more positive value to the right of it. One good example of the contrast between a relative zero (0) and an absolute zero is the Celsius and the Kelvin which are units for measuring temperature. 0°C which is a measure of the energy state of atoms at the freezing point of water does not imply that a lower energy state cannot be reached, so it makes sense to have -ve°C whenever the energy state falls below the freezing point of water.But for 0 kelvin which is the absute zero state of a body with no energy there is no sense in talking about -ve kelvin.

The matter remains that on the virtue of it's existentiality it becomes a 'something'... so for 'nothing' to exist then 'nothing' must become something ... the sheer presumption for the existence of 'nothing' nullifies nothing in itself.

This I think is just an unnecessary over complication of the fact that when something has absolutely nothing, we call it nothing. grin grin grin

In that case i was painting a broader picture and even more larger boundless containment for not just "a universe" but rather "universes"..... A multiverse.

Space/time for our universe began at a given point and even there was no time before then for one to ask for a time before our universe would be like asking for the edge of the earth which is improbable since the earth is spherical therefore cannot have an edge.

So if time began at a certain point of instance in our universe then there cannot be such a thing as "time before the universe" since there was no time at all.

To reconcile this i'd then have to assume as a universal dimension becomes subjective to distinct universes limited within their containment with yet then a timeless inter-universal infinite void between them

Some interesting stuff here that I'm in broad agreement with though from a religious point of view.
Nice thread by the way, I have always been fascinated by science.
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by joseph1013: 4:55pm On Jun 01, 2016
Good to be here. Cosmology could be mystifying, and fascinating at the same time.

Let me ask: How do we quantize gravity? Also, what exactly is Dark Matter and in what ways can humans use this information?

1 Like

Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by Pdizzle(m): 12:43am On Jun 02, 2016
johnydon22:
Pdizzle you are also invited to join us

Bros this one strong o. I can't contribute for now, let me learn slowly.
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by johnydon22(m): 5:35am On Jun 02, 2016
dorox:

The empty set {} I talked about is the absolute zero which is very different from the relative zero you gave in your example that can be thought of as an arbitrary center chosen to represent lower or more negative value to the left of it and higher or more positive value to the right of it. One good example of the contrast between a relative zero (0) and an absolute zero is the Celsius and the Kelvin which are units for measuring temperature. 0°C which is a measure of the energy state of atoms at the freezing point of water does not imply that a lower energy state cannot be reached, so it makes sense to have -ve°C whenever the energy state falls below the freezing point of water.But for 0 kelvin which is the absute zero state of a body with no energy there is no sense in talking about -ve kelvin.

And so it remains that even an absolute 0 of a kelvin is still equivalent to −273.15 °C or −459.67 °F..

so was it really a state of absolute nothingness or just a state of extremely inactive thermodynamics.

And again to further stretch the mischievous idea i was trying to portray {V,T,E,M} = are existential values. with {} ---> being the limitless nothingness on which they exist upon.

if V T E M ceases to exist we are still left with {} even though the values of VTEM are at a zero...

This I think is just an unnecessary over complication of the fact that when something has absolutely nothing, we call it nothing. grin grin grin

It is not an over complication, it only shows that 'nothing' in essence is still 'something' regardless of us calling it 'nothing'. As a virtue of it's existentiality it nullifies it's own self.

Nothingness (inexistence) but then exists this contradicts it's own self.

Some interesting stuff here that I'm in broad agreement with though from a religious point of view.
Nice thread by the way, I have always been fascinated by science.

we might also get to hear that
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by johnydon22(m): 5:39am On Jun 02, 2016
joseph1013:
Good to be here. Cosmology could be mystifying, and fascinating at the same time.

Let me ask: How do we quantize gravity?

elaborate brother. . . break it down

Also, what exactly is Dark Matter
we have no idea yet still that's why it's called 'Dark matter'

a kind of matter that is still elusive to our understanding mainly for the fact that we can't even see it.

and in what ways can humans use this information?
Many ways... every scientific information can be utilized for our tech
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by joseph1013: 6:41am On Jun 02, 2016
johnydon22:

elaborate brother. . . break it down

Some have argued that since everything else is subject to quantum mechanics hence gravity should also be the same otherwise many inconsistencies will develop. I am just wondering how we can go about quantizing it.

We have no idea yet still that's why it's called 'Dark matter'

a kind of matter that is still elusive to our understanding mainly for the fact that we can't even see it.

Many ways... every scientific information can be utilized for our tech.

Can you elaborate on specific use to which we have been able to put this information into use?
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by SidL(m): 1:52pm On Jun 02, 2016
johnydon22:

These are based on observed facts...

example: You are used to the notion of Cause and Effect but in a quantum field particles has been observed to pop in and out of existence without any influence or cause.

You are familiar with the first law of motion: A body at rest will continue at rest and a body in motion will continue in motion at a given direction and speed unless acted upon by an external force but in the quantum world subatomic particles has been found can be induced to speed up almost to the speed of light all by themselves without any external force added.

And also Quantum entanglement, Two particles at very long distance from each other behaving like it's just one particle in two places. . . Information are passed between them faster than the speed of light that when you make one particle spin at a given direction instantaneously the other does the same.

The laws of Physics you are familiar with in this macro state are all turned upside down, man still cannot place his hand on the quantum laws (how things should happen) that govern the microbile world.

I told someone the other day maybe we are used to how things should be done that we are always looking for 'how things should be done' therefore making some eventualities elusive to us, what if the only laws of the quantum state is 'there are no law' then we will spend eternity searching for laws that are not there.

well fingers crossed we can always not know what we'd find the more we look

Hmm...that's very interesting. Would it not be easier to say that the Laws of macro physics were just opinion in the first place? Why is there such huge personal investment in being right about them so much so that such an unnatural conclusion as correctness or uncorrectness according to scale is entertained? Is this not testament to how Academia draws its unnatural conclusions to save face? I have said and i maintain, that Quantum mechanics is a replacement for classical mechanics and the correct attitude is to call the old version of science, wrong and refrain from making the new science sacrosanct or they will yet go through many versions of mechanics most assuredly.

For one, Newton's Laws are figment of imagination because in nature, objective bodies are never at rest are they? How long will a peeled banana remain viable when left alone on your table? Also, motion in nature is never a straight line, it is a curve. Newton's first "law" is thus invalid! There is a lot to learn about what "motion" is, obviously.

What you quote as observed facts is quite interesting for nature's dynamics are always two-part--the subjective and objective. Now, I have yet to fully peruse the claims of quantum mechanics, but why is it a surprise that something comes into objective being from the subjective and then reverses? How is that different from heavenly bodies appearing out of space and later being swallowed up by space? How is that different from from clapping your hands and making a sound?
AH! The answer to that question is Consciousness. Academia has a vast amount to learn, or more appropriately, to unlearn.

Nature has not one set of principles for one affair, and a different set for another. She is consistent and that makes her awfully dependable, much unlike the fickleness of Man which it dares ascribe to nature like he does in his religions. If it were not so, no one would have been bold enough to assume a black hole in the centre of the galaxy, whereas every example of a galaxy, from planets with rings to suns tells you that a black hole most definitely does not centre a galaxy, but a big-ass sun.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by ValentineMary(m): 4:18pm On Jun 02, 2016
Hy guys I have been thinking what if the universe is just like an atom compared to some other organism out there
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by Geofavor(m): 5:55pm On Jun 02, 2016
ValentineMary:
Hy guys I have been thinking what if the universe is just like an atom compared to some other organism out there
gringrin.. For this to hold true, first, there must be some other universe which is ridiculously bigger than ours (like a football to a dust particle). That gargantuan universe would be the one housing this giant aliens. However, if you're familiar with the concept of the multiverse, you'll know that the universe simply replicates itself. Which means any other universe out there would be of the same size as ours. Hence, the existence of an organism bigger than our universe isn't feasible. smiley
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by johnydon22(m): 6:12pm On Jun 02, 2016
ValentineMary:

This is a brain quaking philosophical/scientific speculative question. Come to think of it.

-Everything actually is a universe of it's own.

From the very tiny atom which we thought indivisible earning it the 'indivisible' nomenclature of the greek nomencleture has been split so many times that it has revealed such a large underneath, a universe swirling with activities and weird manifestations.

Leeuwenhoek invented the microscope and opened our eyes to the swirling ecosystem that lurked deep in a water invisible to us.
He looked at a drop of water through his crude microscope and a large universe swirling and teaming with life looked back at him.

he called these living microbial forms Animalcules, today the telescope has evolved so much that it has revealed that the number of these invisible life forms thriving unseen in things we consider incredibly too small is more than us in numbers even.

A cell, A leaf hanging on a tree, a drop of water, of clay or handful of sand, a small stone. . . Magnifiy them through the telescope and penetrate deep beyond what you see and an extra-large universe of it's own comes in sight.

So might our own universe be just a tiny cell, or small drop of algae, a little pinch of unnoticed and irrelevant dust in a reality that would deem our entire universe too tiny to see? (Microbial)

It quakes the brain and stretches the imagination to mull over these speculations, it broadens a wild imagination and it in builds a sense of humility.

But within the "what if's" the bounds of uncertainty grips us, if indeed the universe is a dot or a cell in another reality can we ever know?

It is better left to the pleasures of brain poking, philosophical storming and scientific hypothesis.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by ValentineMary(m): 6:23pm On Jun 02, 2016
Geofavor:
gringrin.. For this to hold true, first, there must be some other universe which is ridiculously bigger than ours (like a football to a dust particle). That gargantuan universe would be the one housing this giant aliens. However, if you're familiar with the concept of the multiverse, you'll know that the universe simply replicates itself. Which means any other universe out there would be of the same size as ours. Hence, the existence of an organism bigger than our universe isn't feasible. smiley
Universe replicating itself never heard of it. Pls explain. Thanks
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by johnydon22(m): 6:26pm On Jun 02, 2016
joseph1013:

Some have argued that since everything else is subject to quantum mechanics hence gravity should also be the same otherwise many inconsistencies will develop. I am just wondering how we can go about quantizing it.

Quantum gravity is a hard 'theory' in modern theoretical physics, While classical view on gravity is based on Einsteins works the theory of quantum gravity is directly a child of General relativity and the quantum fields of the curvature of space time.

This two theories theoretical physicists anticipate points towards the actualization of a Quantum gravity..

Basically the quantum characteristics of gravitational fields.

Can you elaborate on specific use to which we have been able to put this information into use?

The true nature of Dark matter is still yet elusive to us, we barely know up to 0.5% of what Dark matter really is.

We only detect it's gravitational effects and it's distortion of light pathways.

With calculations leading that it reaches up to more than 28% of the entire universe while ordinary matter (every type of matter we know of) is barely 4.8%.

Since we cannot yet understand or know what dark matter really is (hence the name 'Dark' which implies 'unknown')

We cannot categorically give instances on what we can achieve with it technology-wise.. We may speculate like

-A better source of energy if we can harness them.
-Prospect propulsion system for faster space/travel **Sci-fi speculation though**
many things if we let ourselves jolicate in the euphoria of dreamy speculations and expecting assumptions.

But in a broader sense every discovery reveals the universe more to us, sharpens our senses more to the reality of what is and leans humanity towards quenching the very thirst that has bugged it through it's history ' the history, origin and true nature of our reality'.
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by johnydon22(m): 6:28pm On Jun 02, 2016
Cc. lalasticlala mynd44 can you help us shift this to the 'Trending' page please to get more audience, not the 'front page' just the trending page.

Inviting PastorAIO..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by johnydon22(m): 5:18pm On Jun 03, 2016
Let me also invite a friend to join our forum. . Cc. UyiIredia ... Come and Join us, we entertain any questions based on your view of the cosmos, questions on astronomy, astrophysics, cosmology and philosophical questions. .
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by UyiIredia(m): 5:39pm On Jun 03, 2016
johnydon22:
Let me also invite a friend to join our forum. . Cc. UyiIredia ... Come and Join us, we entertain any questions based on your view of the cosmos, questions on astronomy, astrophysics, cosmology and philosophical questions. .

I'm flattered that you'd call me but I'm sorry I won't be contributing because I'm not interested in the topic. Hopefully I will contribute on another thread of yours some other time.
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by johnydon22(m): 5:48pm On Jun 03, 2016
UyiIredia:

I'm flattered that you'd call me but I'm sorry I won't be contributing because I'm not interested in the topic. Hopefully I will contribute on another thread of yours some other time.

Aaaaaaw sad enough, i was hoping on getting a cosmological or philosophical question or submissions on your personal views of the cosmos or human societal philosophy.

Or things you'd like to know or is confused about on Astronomy or Astrophysics, we could solve and have an intense enlightening good discussion on them.

Anyway it's all good brother, hoping to see you if any pops into your head soon or on my next thread on the science section.

'Songs of the worlds' it will be a fun way of painting a very clear light of man's philosophical and scientific intellectual evolution based mostly on the Science part of it but will be in a very story like simple form that all can relate to.

Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by joseph1013: 7:07pm On Jun 03, 2016
I just finished reading Elon Musk's interesting words in this article: http://www.vox.com/2016/6/2/11837608/elon-musk-simulation-argument

In summary, he concludes that the 21st century humans are living in a simulation environment developed by post humans who have undergone very advanced civilizations.

What do you think?
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by johnydon22(m): 9:35pm On Jun 03, 2016
joseph1013:
I just finished reading Elon Musk's interesting words in this article: http://www.vox.com/2016/6/2/11837608/elon-musk-simulation-argument

In summary, he concludes that the 21st century humans are living in a simulation environment developed by post humans who have undergone very advanced civilizations.

What do you think?

That is a rather radical conspiracy if you ask me, first it would be that everything we are, will be or ever will be is but a programme running in a kind of advanced OS, our reality more or less a mirage in a simulation.

That then appeals to reason that these post humans must be lurking somewhere elusive to this simulating reality watching us like some 3D characters on their made 3D simulators.

More like we are the characters in a video game.

Through out the course of human history, radical ideas and thoughts and scary 'what if's' has bugged us, still bug us and forever will.

As radical as this idea is let us not readily dismiss it as an invalid argument, but such a radical leap must be based on something substantial.

In this case i suggest Musk break us out from the Matrix as Morpheus broke Neo out and then try telling us this story again.

1 Like

Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by Nobody: 1:03am On Jun 04, 2016
joseph1013:

Let me ask: How do we quantize gravity? Also, what exactly is Dark Matter and in what ways can humans use this information?
To the best of my knowledge,

We can quantize gravity by finding the mediator of gravity. namely the elusive graviton, and then study its properties. it is in the study of those properties that we can determine if gravity is quantized or not. already, we can detect gravitational waves. in the history of science, we usually discover the waves before the particles. so I'm guessing we're taking steps in the right direction.

Dark matter is matter that . . . to the best of our knowledge, only interacts with gravitons. you can't see it, you can't detect it with any method known to science at this point. EXCEPT by means of gravity.

1 Like

Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by Oxytocin(m): 1:04am On Jun 04, 2016
Hmmm..
Greetings to the Bosses in the house. smiley
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by SidL(m): 1:13am On Jun 04, 2016
Teempakguy:

We can quantize gravity by finding the mediator of gravity. namely the elusive graviton, and then study its properties. it is in the study of those properties that we can determine if gravity is quantized or not. already, we can detect gravitational waves. in the history of science, we usually discover the waves before the particles. so I'm guessing we're taking steps in the right direction.

Dark matter is matter that . . . to the best of our knowledge, only interacts with gravitons. you can't see it, you can't detect it with any method known to science at this point. EXCEPT by means of gravity.

I doubt any real headway will be made not when mainstream science as of June 2016 cannot properly define gravity.
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by Oxytocin(m): 1:14am On Jun 04, 2016
joseph1013:

What do you think?

I and some like minds once had this discussion. What if we were just 'casts' playing out a scene in front of advanced beings or unseen forces. What if we are just like species in a scenario playing out itself in front of this advanced beings.
Now this brings rise to the question, do we humans have ' free will ', are we here because we are meant be?.. because it has being predetermined by this unseen forces and thoroughly advanced species??

1 Like

Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by joseph1013: 4:08am On Jun 04, 2016
johnydon22:

That is a rather radical conspiracy if you ask me, first it would be that everything we are, will be or ever will be is but a programme running in a kind of advanced OS, our reality more or less a mirage in a simulation.

That then appeals to reason that these post humans must be lurking somewhere elusive to this simulating reality watching us like some 3D characters on their made 3D simulators.

More like we are the characters in a video game.

Through out the course of human history, radical ideas and thoughts and scary 'what if's' has bugged us, still bug us and forever will.

As radical as this idea is let us not readily dismiss it as an invalid argument, but such a radical leap must be based on something substantial.

In this case i suggest Musk break us out from the Matrix as Morpheus broke Neo out and then try telling us this story again.
[b]

It is an interesting theory that of course can never(?) be proven. Throughout history people have used the technology of the day as a way of explaining the unknown. "Fire gods" explained shooting stars. "The earth rotates around the sun like a gear box" explained the solar system. "Our brains are like computers." is what they said in the 70s and 80s.

Now that we can create Sims it gives us solace that we have another way to explain reality. We don't like to not know things so we creatively apply what we know to help us understand the unknown.

Then again, I could have been programmed to say that by the 12 year old who is playing this sim. grin

It's an interesting (and fun) philosophical
conversation.

But, at some point, my pragmatism kicks in and I think, "So? So what if it is a simulation? Even if there were any objective way to know......what net effect does that have on my life if it is? Don't I still have to buy milk today either way?"
[/b]
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by davien(m): 7:04pm On Jun 04, 2016
joseph1013:

What do you think?
If nobody can tell a simulated universe from a real one then it's pointless to even ponder on it.

Because whether it's real or not you'd still be subjected to the influences of your universe...

Think of it this way, if I simulate everything about the moon and present it to you in a picture, could you tell it's a simulation? Does anyone know what the moon looks like really? Being that our brains modify our perception of the world...

It's virtually unknowable and thus irrelevant..

1 Like

Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by Booyakasha(f): 3:54pm On Jun 06, 2016
Teempakguy:

Cool..

Btw YOU'VE BEEN IN NANDA PABART FOR TOO LONG YOU FORGOT EVERYTHING!!! EVEN YOUR FRIENDS...

We've actually finished building her, she'll be up this evening wink
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by joseph1013: 11:35am On Jun 07, 2016
Why can't we mathematically describe anything before the Big Bang?
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jun 07, 2016
Booyakasha:

Cool..

Btw YOU'VE BEEN IN NANDA PABART FOR TOO LONG YOU FORGOT EVERYTHING!!! EVEN YOUR FRIENDS...

We've actually finished building her, she'll be up this evening wink
yes . . . I suppose I did. but that will soon change. I promise.
Re: The Cosmological and Philosophical Forum by ValentineMary(m): 4:26pm On Jun 07, 2016
On dark matter, some theories on deep time suggest that as the universe grow, the mass of dark matter increase and shrinks matter into a singularity. Is there still any source that generates dark matter

And for those asking of dark matter, modern studies has shown that it could be made up of axion particles which interact little with light and matter. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Mystery Tree That 'bears Fruit In The Shape Of WOMEN' Found Growing In Thailand / Www.yahoomail.com | Yahoo Mail Sign Up Sign In Page. / Trending Airtel Free Browsing Cheat Settings For Opera Mini Handler

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.