Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,100 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. (73120 Views)

Complete List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Of Nigeria Where They Live / Nigerian Tribes And States Where They Live / Tribes And Their Best Occupation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by robosky02(m): 3:33pm On Jun 01, 2016
lol she makes cake not trouble lol
Blessograo:
ok, i'm here but please i don't want Ahnie's trouble ooo
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by vonn(f): 3:34pm On Jun 01, 2016
GossipHeart:

Igbo is not a tribe.
Igbo is a language
...and the tribe is IBO?
smh.

soon you'll tell me Yoruba is not a tribe but language.
and Hausa is not a tribe but language too.

Its only written or pronounced as IBO by people who don't know or can't call the GB sound.
Don't turn my tribe and language upside down pls.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Blessograo(f): 3:55pm On Jun 01, 2016
ok ooo, i can chat though
robosky02:
lol she makes cake not trouble lol
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by AngelAhnie(f): 4:51pm On Jun 01, 2016
Blessograo:
lol, did you forget when i said i'm on holiday, beside i use to see you and AngelAhnie chatting with ppl of opposite sex, so don't think i'm not seeing
angry
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by compoundC: 5:27pm On Jun 01, 2016
[simg]
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Blessograo(f): 5:45pm On Jun 01, 2016
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by GossipHeart(m): 6:21pm On Jun 01, 2016
Okeycima:
my sister please it is IGBO and not iBo

Go back to school

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by GossipHeart(m): 6:24pm On Jun 01, 2016
vonn:

...and the tribe is IBO?
smh.

soon you'll tell me Yoruba is not a tribe but language.
and Hausa is not a tribe but language too.

Its only written or pronounced as IBO by people who don't know or can't call the GB sound.
Don't turn my tribe and language upside down pls.

I don't argue with fools

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by TheArchangel(f): 6:37pm On Jun 01, 2016
GossipHeart:

I don't argue with fools
You believe what a page on the Internet says about a person than what the person is telling he or she is. I'd say you are the foo.l

Show me a credited evidence instead of Wikipedia page that can be doctored by anyone.
Well since we are quoting the internet. What do you say about this....

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by bamikole07(m): 6:43pm On Jun 01, 2016
Great jobs
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by GossipHeart(m): 7:49pm On Jun 01, 2016
TheArchangel:
You believe what a page on the Internet says about a person than what the person is telling he or she is. I'd say you are the foo.l

Show me a credited evidence instead of Wikipedia page that can be doctored by anyone.

Atulu Hausa.
Abum onye Igbo.
Kedu ihe akuziri gi n'ulo akwukwo ??
Igbo language bu asusu, ibo bu ndi si n'ala igbo.

Are you now convinced that I'm ibo ??

Igbo language is a language spoken by ibo people, ibo are the people from the igbo speaking tribe.

You're too young to understand, go consult your elders, they know better.
I haven't seen you but i can smell you ignorance
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by TheArchangel(f): 7:52pm On Jun 01, 2016
GossipHeart:

Atulu Hausa.
Abum onye Igbo.
Kedu ihe akuziri gi n'ulo akwukwo ??
Igbo language bu asusu, ibo bu ndi si n'ala igbo.

Are you now convinced that I'm ibo ??

Igbo language is a language spoken by ibo people, ibo are the people from the igbo speaking tribe.

You're too young to understand, go consult your elders, they know better.
I haven't seen you but i can smell you ignorance
I should've known that I am conversing with an uncouth pseudo-element devoid of sound argument.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by GossipHeart(m): 7:54pm On Jun 01, 2016
TheArchangel:
I should've known that I am conversing with an uncouth pseudo-element devoid of sound argument.

Dumb goat

Just go eat a dick
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by TheArchangel(f): 8:09pm On Jun 01, 2016
TheArchangel:
GossipHeart:

Dumb goat

Just go eat a dick
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by cornel994(m): 8:42pm On Jun 01, 2016
tammie24:

My husband is smiley smiley smiley
inlaw welcome

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by codemaniacs: 9:06pm On Jun 01, 2016
compoundC:
[size=38pt]362 Yoruba
Kwara, Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti, Kogi

You have edo and delta

Do you see, igbo or ijaw people in the stadium in delta state when they come to play.. NO.

find out about people. the owner of nairaland is a bias biafra.

[/size]

meaning
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by murphyibiam15(m): 9:22pm On Jun 01, 2016
emerged01:
So no other tribes within Yoruba states. Lovely!!! Sometimes all these tribes bring confusion. My opinion sha!
check back will see tribes in lagos and ogun
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by linearity: 9:30pm On Jun 01, 2016
fratermathy:

You are utterly misinformed. Okpe is a kingdom in URHOBO. However, there is another Isoko kingdom known as Okpe-Isoko. Isoko people are quick to claim Okpe as theirs due to the linguistic similarities. However, we all know that Isoko, Uvwie, Okpe, Erowa, etc, are all "culturally" Urhobos and this is the basis for my claim.

Other than the above, Okpe is listed as an Urhobo dialect everywhere as gazetted by Nigeria!

I thought the comment was about Okpe-Isoko; whichever the case maybe...if the reference was about Okpe-Isoko, it is not a tribe, it is covered under the Isoko tribe and if the reference was to Okpe (Present day Sapele), it is still not a tribe, as it is covered under Urhobo tribe.

And Isoko is not 'culturally' Urhobo, but it is safe to say that, they both have the same roots, with linguistically similar languages.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by murphyibiam15(m): 10:06pm On Jun 01, 2016
Btruth:
Where is Ijebu? This your list is not complete.

Team ijebu/Yoruba, Ogun State.

grin
is it not same yoruba language ijebu and yoruba speak?
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Lordmykel(m): 12:18am On Jun 02, 2016
saintkeppy:
. The tribe is also found in Akwa Ibom State. He forgot to add Efut too to the list.
are you sure?? Akwa ibom has Ibibio not Efik. Yea Efut.. I live here at Efut Abua (howell)
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Okeycima: 3:00am On Jun 02, 2016
GossipHeart:

Go back to school
my dear you are the one that needs it more than I do. It Is people like you that the mindset that we Africans especially IGBOS don't have history B4 the coming ☀̤̣̈̇f Whiteman, I strongly advice you †̥♥ do your research and read history and then come back and quote ♍ƺ wrong.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by saintkeppy(m): 3:03am On Jun 02, 2016
Lordmykel:
are you sure?? Akwa ibom has Ibibio not Efik. Yea Efut.. I live here at Efut Abua (howell)
. Yes sir, they are found in the communities along the Cross River Estuary, namely:

Uruan the craddle of Efiks,

Oku Iboku, Ikot Offiong, these communities boarders along the river near the Itu bridge along the Calabar-Odukpani-Itu Highway in Itu LGA

Note: Uruan & Itu shares boundary with Odukpani viz okurikang, mbarakom Ikoneto.

do u knw that according to Efik Tradition, an Uruan High chief from where Efik migrated from, must be present to witness the crowning &subsequently the enthronment of a New Obong of Calabar at Efe Asabo Esien Efik Itiaba (The python shrine of the 7clans of Efik)?

James Town, Akwa Obio Effiat, Ibuot Utan, Utan Brama, Inua Abasi, Okposo, Tom shot Island all in Effiat Clan whose clan head is chief Mathais Okon Nta in Mbo Local Govt. Area shares boundary with Ekpri ikang in New Bakassi & Akpabuyo LGAs of CRS

Note: James town was named after James Ekpo Bassey, the father of Late Bassey Ekpo Bassey, 4ma Calabar south chairman. James Town is in Ibaka, site for the proposed deep seaport.

Idua Assang whose clan head is chief Ekeng is in Oron Town, they are 1 of the efik clans (essien efik itiaba) that left calabar to their present location. They have Akwa Efe Ekpe (Ekpe society shrine) which is a tradition in Efik kingdom along Iyamba str. In Oron town. It takes 20mins by speed boat cruise to get to Idua clan from the jetty at Marina rd in calabar.
Noteable personality from Idua are chief Eyo Nsa Bassey, Antigha Eyo Bassey, Late Onyong Asuquo, Late Justice Nya Ebito he has just been buried in his residence last week at Idua, Oron Town. You knw Ebito street In Calabar?

Esuk Atabong, Ekeya, Obufi in Okobo LGA are the decendant of Efiks. Former minister of science&Tech, Prof. Ita Okon Bassey Ewa is from this axis. Even Mma Bakassi, Florence Ita-Giwa is from Atabong but claims Bakassi, maybe intrest
Note: All these communities speaks Efik, dress like Efiks during Traditional outings & also observe Efik Traditions.

A greater part of Itu & Uruan are Ibibio domininant though, The rest communities or clans are domiciled in Oro Nation, all in Akwa Ibom State.

About 2yrs ago, His Royal Majesty, Edidem Ekpo Okon Abasi Otu, the Grand Patriach of Efik kingdom & Obong of calabar, extended his hands of fellowship by inviting these clans to the "utomo obong" proceedings at his palace at Adiabo, and calls for Unity with other clans located in Cross River State.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Okeycima: 3:04am On Jun 02, 2016
TheArchangel:
ma man It seems like you observe what I did observe. But with the kind response she is giving and the way she is going about the issue, I bad
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Lordmykel(m): 3:19am On Jun 02, 2016
saintkeppy:
. Yes sir, they are found in the communities along the Cross River Estuary, namely:

Uruan the craddle of Efiks,

Oku Iboku, Ikot Offiong, these communities boarders along the river near the Itu bridge along the Calabar-Odukpani-Itu Highway in Itu LGA

Note: Uruan & Itu shares boundary with Odukpani viz okurikang, mbarakom Ikoneto.

do u knw that according to Efik Tradition, an Uruan High chief from where Efik migrated from, must be present to witness the crowning &subsequently the enthronment of a New Obong of Calabar at Efe Asabo Esien Efik Itiaba (The python shrine of the 7clans of Efik)?

James Town, Akwa Obio Effiat, Ibuot Utan, Utan Brama, Inua Abasi, Okposo, Tom shot Island all in Effiat Clan whose clan head is chief Mathais Okon Nta in Mbo Local Govt. Area shares boundary with Ekpri ikang in New Bakassi & Akpabuyo LGAs of CRS

Note: James town was named after James Ekpo Bassey, the father of Late Bassey Ekpo Bassey, 4ma Calabar south chairman. James Town is in Ibaka, site for the proposed deep seaport.

Idua Assang whose clan head is chief Ekeng is in Oron Town, they are 1 of the efik clans (essien efik itiaba) that left calabar to their present location. They have Akwa Efe Ekpe (Ekpe society shrine) which is a tradition in Efik kingdom along Iyamba str. In Oron town. It takes 20mins by speed boat cruise to get to Idua clan from the jetty at Marina rd in calabar.
Noteable personality from Idua are chief Eyo Nsa Bassey, Antigha Eyo Bassey, Late Onyong Asuquo, Late Justice Nya Ebito he has just been buried in his residence last week at Idua, Oron Town. You knw Ebito street In Calabar?

Esuk Atabong, Ekeya, Obufi in Okobo LGA are the decendant of Efiks. Former minister of science&Tech, Prof. Ita Okon Bassey Ewa is from this axis. Even Mma Bakassi, Florence Ita-Giwa is from Atabong but claims Bakassi, maybe intrest
Note: All these communities speaks Efik, dress like Efiks during Traditional outings & also observe Efik Traditions.

A greater part of Itu & Uruan are Ibibio domininant though, The rest communities or clans are domiciled in Oro Nation, all in Akwa Ibom State.

About 2yrs ago, His Royal Majesty, Edidem Ekpo Okon Abasi Otu, the Grand Patriach of Efik kingdom & Obong of calabar, extended his hands of fellowship by inviting these clans to the "utomo obong" proceedings at his palace at Adiabo, and calls for Unity with other clans located in Cross River State.
this was quite lengthy, are you an Akwa Ibomite?
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Nobody: 7:52am On Jun 02, 2016
murphyibiam15:

is it not same yoruba language ijebu and yoruba speak?

There are so many dialects, clans and languages among the Yorubas that deserve a mention here because the groups are even more populated than some of those listed above eg Ijebu, Ondo, Oyo, Ijesha, Ife, Igbomina, Ilaje, Ekiti and many more.

Yorubas have a unifying Language though, and that is their biggest strength
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by murphyibiam15(m): 9:27am On Jun 02, 2016
Pprovost:

There are so many dialects, clans and languages among the Yorubas that deserve a mention here because the groups are even more populated than some of those listed above eg Ijebu, Ondo, Oyo, Ijesha, Ife, Igbomina, Ilaje, Ekiti and many more.

Yorubas have a unifying Language though, and that is their biggest strength
wao...it then means yoruba race is more diverse than i thought...what about those who cant speak the unifying yoruba language?
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by vonn(f): 9:42am On Jun 02, 2016
GossipHeart:

I don't argue with fools
At a time, I was tempted to call you a fool like you did, but I won't. We're very different.

Igbo (Igbo [iɡ͡boː] ; English /ˈɪɡboʊ/ ; [5] archaically Ibo /ˈiːboʊ/ ) [5] (Igbo:
Asụsụ Igbo ), is the principal native language of the Igbo people , an ethnic
group of southeastern Nigeria. There are approximately 24 million speakers,
who live mostly in Nigeria and are primarily of Igbo descent.

The Igbo people, often erroneously spelled and pronounced " Ibo " (because
certain Europeans had difficulty making the /ɡ͡b/ sound), [2] are an indigenous
linguistic and cultural people of southern Nigeria . Geographically, the Igbo
homeland is divided into two unequal sections by the Niger River – an eastern
(which is the larger of the two) and a western section. [3][4] Culturally and
linguistically, the Niger River has provided an easy means of communication
and unity amongst the Igbo natives on both sides, as well as promoted
ancient trade and movement of peoples between Igboland and rest of the
world. [3]
Known as Ndi Igbo in the Igbo language and sometimes identified by their
respective Igboid dialects or subgroupings, such the Anioma and the Ngwa ,
the culture of the Igbos has been shaped primarily by Igboland's rainforest
climate, its historic trades, ancient migration folklores and social ties with its
neighbours as well as far-flung trading and political allies and lately with the
Europeans through colonization and the entire Western World through
globalization. [3] They speak Igbo , which includes various Igboid languages and
dialects. [5][6] The Igbo homeland is almost surrounded on all sides by other
ethnic peoples of southern and central Nigeria namely, the Ijaw , Edo , Itsekiri ,
Ogoni, Igala, Tiv, Yako , Idoma and Ibibio .[3]
The Igbo people are one of the largest ethnic groups in Africa.[7] In rural
Nigeria, Igbo people work mostly as craftsmen, farmers and traders. The most
important crop is the yam; celebrations take place annually to celebrate its
harvesting. [8] Other staple crops include cassava and taro .[9] The Igbos are
also highly urbanized, with some of the largest cities and metropolitan areas
in Igboland being Onitsha , Enugu , Aba , Asaba , Owerri, Port Harcourt , Umuahia ,
Abakaliki and Agbor.
Before British colonial rule , the Igbo were a politically fragmented group. There
were variations in culture such as in art styles, attire and religious practices.
Various subgroups were organized by clan, lineage , village affiliation, and
dialect. There were not many centralized chiefdoms, hereditary aristocracy, or
kingship customs except in kingdoms such as those of the Nri , Arochukwu ,
Agbor and Onitsha . [10] This political system changed significantly under
British colonialism in the early 20th century; Frederick Lugard introduced Eze
(kings) into most local communities as "Warrant Chiefs". [11] The Igbo
became overwhelmingly Christian under colonization. Chinua Achebe's Things
Fall Apart is one of the most popular novels to depict Igbo culture and
changes under colonialism.

Please stop quoting me.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by vonn(f): 9:44am On Jun 02, 2016
TheArchangel:

thank you sister.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by vonn(f): 9:51am On Jun 02, 2016
I wish the mod can ban GossipHeart for a while for violating Rule no 2 >:
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jun 02, 2016
murphyibiam15:

wao...it then means yoruba race is more diverse than i thought...what about those who cant speak the unifying yoruba language?

The truth is, Yoruba is more of a nation than tribe. I have never seen a Yoruba person that can not speak/understand the central Yoruba ( I am not ruling out the possibility though). Maybe because Yoruba language (akooto ede yoruba) was made compulsory in all the primary and secondary school across the Yoruba land since independence.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by murphyibiam15(m): 12:11pm On Jun 02, 2016
Pprovost:

The truth is, Yoruba is more of a nation than tribe. I have never seen a Yoruba person that can not speak/understand the central Yoruba ( I am not ruling out the possibility though). Maybe because Yoruba language (akooto ede yoruba) was made compulsory in all the primary and secondary school across the Yoruba land since independence.
okay..nice one
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by saintkeppy(m): 9:09pm On Jun 03, 2016
Lordmykel:
this was quite lengthy, are you an Akwa Ibomite?
. Sorry for the long story i just wanted to give u a comprehensive backup to my claims. Yes i'm an Oro Nation man, Mbo LGA to be precise. I speak both oro & Efik language fluently, infact i feel like typing in Efik. Edididieh, odu ke mmong ke calabar?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Origin Of Various Igbo Clans / Ooni Ogunwusi And Silekunola Moronke Naomi's First Outing (Picture) / Ooni Ogunwusi Acquires Royce-Rolls 2016 Delivered To Him Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.