Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Nollywood Is Feeding Nigerians RUBBISH, Claims Top Movie Director - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Nollywood Is Feeding Nigerians RUBBISH, Claims Top Movie Director (940 Views)

This Is Why Nollywood Is Not Going To Go Anywhere -- Oyibo People React(video) / The Wedding Party 2: Niyi Akinmolayan Replaces Kemi Adetiba As Movie Director (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nollywood Is Feeding Nigerians RUBBISH, Claims Top Movie Director by honsaint(m): 7:36pm On May 31, 2016
Top movie director, Mildred Okwo has blasted the Nigerian film industry for feeding
Nigerians with rubbish.
She also accused the industry of being so stereotyped and of being responsible
for putting itself in that position.

Award-winning Okwo said in a series of tweets on Twitter that Nollywood has
penchant for mediocre productions and also called out the stakeholders who are
responsible for them.

“Nollywood keeps feeding us this trash!” Okwo tweeted, adding, “[We are] using our
own hand to perpetuate long held stereotypes. Think about it.”

The director, who was massively applauded for her movie ‘The Meeting’, touched
on areas involving stereotypes, especially how Nollywood depict native doctors as
evil.
“I do not ascribe to d theory that all African trad beliefs are bad simply cause a
group of British people brainwashed some people years ago,” she said, adding,
“There must be some that heal and advise. Our ancestors went to them for
guidance before the British entered.”
Okwo also gave nuggets to budding and established directors on how best to
shoot a romantic scene, and more.

Re: Nollywood Is Feeding Nigerians RUBBISH, Claims Top Movie Director by deb(m): 2:00am On Jun 01, 2016
I have to agree with her. There is overly too much junk movies in the market.

In between THE MEETING is a great piece of work. I respect this woman
Re: Nollywood Is Feeding Nigerians RUBBISH, Claims Top Movie Director by Originalsly: 3:24am On Jun 01, 2016
Hmmm.... feeding Nigerians rubbish or rubbishing Nigerians?
Re: Nollywood Is Feeding Nigerians RUBBISH, Claims Top Movie Director by Nobody: 3:44am On Jun 01, 2016
Nigerians are always ready to buy their rubbish in the search for entertainment so I don't blame them. If the demand for low budget eye sores was low then many of these directors would have run out of a job long ago.

(1) (Reply)

Harry Potter Cast: Then And Now / The Flash,' 'arrow,’ 'legends’ And ‘supergirl’ Crossover Has 20 Superheroes / Who Do You Prefer In Jackie Chan And Jet Li?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.