Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading (10822 Views)

Bill To Allow Married Women Choose Origin Passes Second Reading / Bill To Prohibit Tribal Marks Passes Second Reading In Senate / Resource Control Bill Passes Second Reading (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Adieza(m): 8:55pm On May 31, 2016
A bill seeking to make Federal Government to provide loan to students to pursue tertiary education passed second reading at the House of Representatives on Tuesday. Speaking on the bill, its sponsor, Femi Gbajabiamila (APC-Lagos), said that it was intended to provide students with easy access to funds for higher education. Gbajabiamila said that a great population of Nigerian students would be enrolled for higher education if the bill scaled was successful.

He, therefore, canvassed for the establishment of Nigerian Education Bank. Gbajabiamila also advocated that the loans should be interest-free, saying “Nigeria is blessed with abundant natural resources to tap from and encourage quality education for future generations’’. According to him, education is a right and not a privilege for Nigerians. Students’ loans speak volume if a lasting legacy is to be bequeathed to future generations.

Contributing, Rep. Nnanna Igbokwe (PDP-Imo) said that passage of the bill would provide more opportunities for Nigerian students who were financially incapacitated to further their studies. “More opportunities would be given to young Nigerians who are intelligent but are having financial constraints to continue with their education,’’ Igbokwe said.

The lawmakers unanimously endorsed the passage of the bill for the second reading through a voice vote. In his remarks, Speaker of the House, Mr Yakubu Dogara, commended members for their contributions and referred the bill to the Committee on Tertiary Education and Services for further legislative actions.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/bill-loans-undergraduates-passes-second-reading/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Slitman: 9:45pm On May 31, 2016
I need someone to push this motivating piece to the front page please . . Let me join the trend sef. Where is lalasticlala ? ? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by CR77(f): 10:31am On Jun 01, 2016
Na wash cool
Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Ayloaded04: 10:32am On Jun 01, 2016
this is an awesome bill. I just hope it makes it through

5 Likes

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Heineken(m): 10:32am On Jun 01, 2016
Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Obidikejr(m): 10:32am On Jun 01, 2016
LOVELY ONE

1 Like

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by kingphilip(m): 10:32am On Jun 01, 2016
Perfect this is just perfect..

even if I won't benefit from it because I've gone past tertiary institution, it's very good too so as for others who have the intentions of completing their education but due to lean resources can carry on now

But I'd like to know if there's modalities to accessing such funds because if it's not spelt it properly, it might bring about misuse and eventually been hijacked for political purposes order than for which it has been mapped out to achieve

Happy new month Nairalanders

If you think this is a very welcomed development from the house of Representatives click like

14 Likes

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 10:32am On Jun 01, 2016
man know man go end everything. I hope the process will b transparent if it finally going to come true sha
Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by edlion57(m): 10:32am On Jun 01, 2016
E don der reach a stage wia graduate will b proud to b address as under graduates
Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 10:33am On Jun 01, 2016
Uhm
I'm lost 'ere
wah does it mean (bill on loans)
Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by BlackMerchant(m): 10:33am On Jun 01, 2016
One of the first sensible bills to be debated by the present National Assembly.

4 Likes

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by LoneRanger2: 10:33am On Jun 01, 2016
OK.
Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by chinchong: 10:33am On Jun 01, 2016
....and after graduating from school, they will join the long que of unemployed youth in roaming the street of Ajegunle .

instead of granting loan to young entrepreneur they are passing bill that will indirectly increase the number of unemployed youth.

Awon wayre dede!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by CR77(f): 10:33am On Jun 01, 2016
Na wash lipsrsealed
Obidikejr:
LOVELY ONE
Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Sasuwa(f): 10:33am On Jun 01, 2016
Bill or no bill under pmb is same
Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 10:33am On Jun 01, 2016
Uhm
I'm lost 'ere
wah does it mean (bill on loans) Uhm
I'm lost 'ere
wah does it mean (bill on loans)
Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Rexphobia(m): 10:34am On Jun 01, 2016
Loan without database... Charity loading

2 Likes

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by hucienda: 10:34am On Jun 01, 2016
First sensible bill in the eighth assembly...

Kudos Femi... but hope say no be wash o
Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by MadCow1: 10:34am On Jun 01, 2016
This is a tricky bill o!!

The U.S already gives out Student loans to undergraduates for school fees and stuff and the problem remains paying back those loans. Especially with the low unemployment in the Nation.

This bill may sound like the ideal bill, but it can come back to bite you all in the asses and you will be the ones complaining about your debt profile in the future.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by hahnsmall: 10:34am On Jun 01, 2016
Nice.

As long as they do not turn it into an avenue for looting undecided

1 Like

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Precious91(m): 10:35am On Jun 01, 2016
great one there,but hope ts not for few or selected people?It should be transparent.
Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Lattop(m): 10:35am On Jun 01, 2016
Looters billgrin

1 Like

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by petarrhh(m): 10:35am On Jun 01, 2016
BlackMerchant:
One of the first sensible bills to be debated by the present National Assembly.
LOL

1 Like

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Nobody: 10:36am On Jun 01, 2016
First good thing coming from APC govt.
Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by tukdi: 10:36am On Jun 01, 2016
End time Loan! that bill should be killed immediately on the floor of House of reps! the bill is completely irrelevant! rich politician children will be given the loans against the poor/hustlers! yeye dey smell 4 dat floor of House of reps! children of rich politicians, political thugs will be favoured! how will undergraduates from humble background have access to the loan! there are other pressing issues like construction of roads, reduction of petrol price etc for our legislators to tackle instead of this rubbish! kwaruption loading!

1 Like

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Trendy247: 10:36am On Jun 01, 2016
And only 5% will still go to d less privileged

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by phemflex90(m): 10:37am On Jun 01, 2016
Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila is the right man of # common sense not Ben. bruce. nice move sir, APC CHANGE

1 Like

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by petarrhh(m): 10:37am On Jun 01, 2016
catlova2:
man know man go end everything. I hope the process will b transparent if it finally going to come true sha
I hope too

1 Like

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by darkid1(m): 10:37am On Jun 01, 2016
Makes a lot of sense. I am so happy about this. You know how hard it is for some folks out there to save towards going to tetiary institutions...My country is gradually becoming a better Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by chuksmoni: 10:37am On Jun 01, 2016
yes this is a very nice move from the government, it will give poor students hope of going to school,
sai buhari
Re: Bill On Loans For Undergraduates Passes Second Reading by Odunharry(m): 10:38am On Jun 01, 2016
Only few who knows someone who knows Oga at the top will get the loan. For Nigeria, yeye de smell

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Groans Under N2.7 Trn, Other Judgment Debts / Obaseki Speaks On ‘battling’ APC Leaders / Abia State Government Reacts To Attack On Ubani Market Police Station

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.