Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,122 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

English Language Usage: Of A Disease: To Contact Or Contract? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / English Language Usage: Of A Disease: To Contact Or Contract? (3009 Views)

"They Use Hausa To Teach English Language In The North" - Kano Corper Claims / Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Language Usage: Of A Disease: To Contact Or Contract? by NifemiOlu(m): 9:50pm On Jun 01, 2016
It is not uncommon to see and hear people write and say or use the words ‘contact’ when talking about an infection or a disease.

Speaker 1: He contacted HIV from unsterilized needles.

Speaker 2: He contracted Zika virus while on holiday in Brazil.

Let’s refer to dictionaries for help.

Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary (OALD) defines:

CONTACT (n) (medical) a person who may be infectious because he/she has been near to somebody with a CONTAGIOUS disease.

CONTRACT (v) (medical) to get an illness.

Encarta Dictionaries defines:
CONTACT: disease carrier: a person or an animal seen as a possible carrier of an infectious disease.

CONTRACT: (Trans V) get illness: to catch or develop an illness.

Speaker 2 is correct.

I hope this improves your grammar.

By: NifemiOlu
Admin: Olukoni relationship blog (https://nifemiolu..com.ng )
Re: English Language Usage: Of A Disease: To Contact Or Contract? by NifemiOlu(m): 5:49am On Jun 02, 2016
Password: Lalasticlala
Re: English Language Usage: Of A Disease: To Contact Or Contract? by JonTal: 1:59pm On Jun 22, 2016
This post is funny, @NifemiOlu. Good job

1 Like

Re: English Language Usage: Of A Disease: To Contact Or Contract? by JonTal: 2:03pm On Jun 22, 2016
NifemiOlu:
Password: Lalasticlala

It just baffles me that a lot of very good threads in various sections of this forum are never taken to front page, whereas rubbish threads are displayed there daily. Wonder what jobs the mods do.
Re: English Language Usage: Of A Disease: To Contact Or Contract? by NifemiOlu(m): 7:38pm On Jun 22, 2016
JonTal:

It just baffles me that a lot of very good threads in various sections of this forum are never taken to front page, whereas rubbish threads are displayed there daily. Wonder what jobs the mods do.
Er, I have mentioned lalasticlala so tey I don tire. Some of us take time to write our stuff carefully aiming to benefit people but the mighty ones of Nairaland...

(1) (Reply)

Man Eats That Snake Killed In Uniuyo, Shares Shocking Photos / Sad!! Kogi Student Thanks Kogi Government For Truncating His Future (pix) / Stop Dreaming, Strike Won’t Be Suspended, Says Senior Lecturer (details)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.