Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless (7753 Views)

21 Most Commonly Confused Words In English Language. / Nigerians And Their Use Of The English language - BBC (Hilarious) / The Most Commonly Confused Words In The English Language, According To Microsoft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by ItuExchange(m): 12:06pm On Jul 21, 2017
In which areas of the world is English most useless?

The EF English Proficiency Index answers this question very directly. Here is a map of the results that were published in 2015:

You may view the complete list here: EF English Proficiency Index - Wikipedia

Previous answers about Eastern Europe are accurate in my experience. From traveling for the past 14 months through 18 countries on 4 continents, I'd add a few extra problematic countries for travelers who only know English:

China - Of course there are loads of people who speak English in China, but good luck finding them. My wife and I travelled there for 2 months and I don't think we ever found somebody who spoke English when we were looking for them. They would come and find us sometimes though. I guess the best bet would be just to look especially lost and wait for somebody to come to you.

Sudan - In Khartoum many of the well-dressed young people speak very good English, as well as pretty much all waiters (some of them don't even speak Arabic), but, as soon as you get away from the capital almost nobody knows English, including the police.

Ethiopia - Just don't expect anybody on the street to know any more English than “you, you, you", which they always seem to love to yell at foreigners, and the occasional “give me money".

Myanmar - Pretty much the same as Ethiopia. Almost no English anywhere.

Brazil - I speak Portuguese, so it's not an issue for me, but my wife doesn't, so it has become quite clear that a very low percentage of people speak English well in Brazil. Actually, that's how I learned Portuguese in the first place because there were so few people that could understand me otherwise the first time I visited.

Source: https://www.quora.com/In-which-areas-of-the-world-is-English-most-useless

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by ednited(f): 1:40pm On Jul 21, 2017
ItuExchange:
In which areas of the world is English most useless?

The EF English Proficiency Index answers this question very directly. Here is a map of the results that were published in 2015:

You may view the complete list here: EF English Proficiency Index - Wikipedia

Previous answers about Eastern Europe are accurate in my experience. From traveling for the past 14 months through 18 countries on 4 continents, I'd add a few extra problematic countries for travelers who only know English:

China - Of course there are loads of people who speak English in China, but good luck finding them. My wife and I travelled there for 2 months and I don't think we ever found somebody who spoke English when we were looking for them. They would come and find us sometimes though. I guess the best bet would be just to look especially lost and wait for somebody to come to you.

Sudan - In Khartoum many of the well-dressed young people speak very good English, as well as pretty much all waiters (some of them don't even speak Arabic), but, as soon as you get away from the capital almost nobody knows English, including the police.

Ethiopia - Just don't expect anybody on the street to know any more English than “you, you, you", which they always seem to love to yell at foreigners, and the occasional “give me money".

Myanmar - Pretty much the same as Ethiopia. Almost no English anywhere.

Brazil - I speak Portuguese, so it's not an issue for me, but my wife doesn't, so it has become quite clear that a very low percentage of people speak English well in Brazil. Actually, that's how I learned Portuguese in the first place because there were so few people that could understand me otherwise the first time I visited.

Source: https://www.quora.com/In-which-areas-of-the-world-is-English-most-useless

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng

Ethiopians love to yell at foreigners. . .undecided

1 Like

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by apinexcee(m): 2:53pm On Jul 21, 2017
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by emmanuel1990(m): 7:06pm On Jul 21, 2017
who speaking of english epp?

1 Like

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 21, 2017
I guess whoever put this article forgot countries like Somalia,Afghanistan,Pakistan, Eritrea and the likes. Infact,dozens of countries would have made this list. Even South Sudan that has English as its official language would have made the list. Someone I know who has been there once told me that outside of Juba,there are very few who can communicate in English. So,why these few countries?
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by officialdayo: 8:39pm On Jul 21, 2017
English useless in China?

Who typed this poo?

Kollysman1:

shut up, Have yu been there? I have seen several Engineers from China that can not speak a word of english....... Dont want to mention the company....

If its not useless in there country, how many Nigerian engineer can yu signify he cant read and write English?

I'm back for you.

1) I have been living in China for over two years.
2) you're judging over 1.3 billion people with 5-10 Chinese you've come accross.

First, you need to take your legs to the airport and look for Chinese then approach them in English and see their response.

1 Like

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by oyatz(m): 9:27pm On Jul 21, 2017
Which language do they use in schools?

mansakhalifa:
I guess whoever put this article forgot countries like Somalia,Afghanistan,Pakistan, Eritrea and the likes. Infact,dozens of countries would have made this list. Even South Sudan that has English as its official language would have made the list. Someone I know who has been there once told me that outside of Juba,there are very few who can communicate in English. So,why these few countries?

1 Like

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by eunisam: 9:31pm On Jul 21, 2017
Some part of Hausa don't know COME. true or false?

3 Likes

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by youngstarlit(m): 9:52pm On Jul 21, 2017
Waoh, I never thought of this before.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by daryoor(m): 10:21pm On Jul 21, 2017
ao going by your analogy french language is useless in nigeria because a french speaking foreigner from lome, togo wont easily find a fellow french in idumota maket.

my friend teachs french in British america sec school and he is paid above 300k....usless french abi?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 21, 2017
@oyatz By "they",who exactly do you mean?
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jul 21, 2017
Hausa fulani Republic
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by oyatz(m): 10:54pm On Jul 21, 2017
Both Sudan

mansakhalifa:
@oyatz By "they",who exactly do you mean?
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by milky3(f): 11:04pm On Jul 21, 2017
where is Nigeria on the list cos We are told to patronise only made in Nigeria products and English Language shd not be exempted
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by maureensylvia(f): 11:05pm On Jul 21, 2017
How to steal a fowl! 1. Survey the area for about 1 week. 2. On the day of operation wear an
oversized shirt. 3. Be at the place between 11am
to 2:30pm. At this time of the day, the owners will be
gone to work or
be indoors. The fowls will be playing
outside happily. 4. Walk at the edge of the street and let the fowls walk freely at the center. 5. This is where u make the grand move. 6. Dive like a goalkeeper and grab the fowl by the head. Quickly fold the head into the
feathers and put it in side ur oversized shirt. 7. Move on as if nothing happend. No looking back. THANK_ME_LATER

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by musicwriter(m): 11:26pm On Jul 21, 2017
oyatz:
Which language do they use in schools?

Do you mean South Sudan? They adopted English as their official language, so education happens in English.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by musicwriter(m): 11:34pm On Jul 21, 2017
English is the language of slaves. No true independent nation would put a foreign language above her own. And I try to inform people we can do without English, but they can't just get their heads around it.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by ituglobal(m): 7:06am On Jul 22, 2017
The list incomplete. There are many other countries where English language is useless.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 22, 2017
@oyatz now talking about South Sudan,the language of instruction in their schools,of course,is English mainly due to the fact that it was jointly colonized by the British. Now,the reason you won't find many outside of Juba who can't utter a word of English is because there are very few functional schools in those areas and the government is yet to get a full grasp of that sector to tackle illiteracy. Simply put the level of illiteracy over there is high and it is helped in no small way by the war that has raged in that region since the mid-50s and government corruption. Understand now? As for the other Sudan,most prefer to speak in arabic.

1 Like

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 22, 2017
That musicwriter guy is one funny dude. He's writing in a "language of slaves" and expressing himself clearly to millions on this forum! Try that in your own "free men" language and see what happens. Heck no,we can't do without English or any foreign language the way we are ethnically composed in Nigeria many parts of Africa. Or what language do you suggest we replace the English language with in Nigeria, sir? One that would be understood by or intelligible to all. Igbo? Yoruba? Swahili? smiley Or Hausa?

5 Likes

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by enemyofprogress: 8:18am On Jul 22, 2017
mansakhalifa:
America, Canada and united kingdom also do not speak English in their countries
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by LarryBeryl(m): 8:32am On Jul 22, 2017
maureensylvia:
How to steal a fowl! 1. Survey the area for about 1 week. 2. On the day of operation wear an
oversized shirt. 3. Be at the place between 11am
to 2:30pm. At this time of the day, the owners will be
gone to work or
be indoors. The fowls will be playing
outside happily. 4. Walk at the edge of the street and let the fowls walk freely at the center. 5. This is where u make the grand move. 6. Dive like a goalkeeper and grab the fowl by the head. Quickly fold the head into the
feathers and put it in side ur oversized shirt. 7. Move on as if nothing happend. No looking back. THANK_ME_LATER

You are gangster. Will you marry me? grin
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by musicwriter(m): 9:42am On Jul 22, 2017
mansakhalifa:
That musicwriter guy is one funny dude. He's writing in a "language of slaves" and expressing himself clearly to millions on this forum! Try that in your own "free men" language and see what happens. Heck no,we can't do without English or any foreign language the way we are ethnically composed in Nigeria many parts of Africa. Or what language do you suggest we replace the English language with in Nigeria, sir? One that would be understood by or intelligible to all. Igbo? Yoruba? Swahili? smiley Or Hausa?

PIDGIN language..........

I no tell you say I no bi part of the slave system. Na him make Emir of Kano talk say "every African is a victim of slavery". Wetin I do bi say I don come understand say we dey for another type of slavery wey bi say even the education and English wey we dey speak still bi part of slavery. The reason I follow dey speak am bi say only me no fit dey speak a different language for where dey de speak English. At least you don see say we fit write for other lrnguages.

IGBO language............

Onweghị oge m'gwara gị na m'abụghị otu n"ime ndi eji n"agbụ. Ya mere Emir ndi Kano ji kwuo sị "onye Afrịka ọbụla g"esorịrị rịte ahụhụ ndi ọcha n"oge gara aga". Otu ihe m'mere bụ na m'achọpụtago na, ma agụma akwụkwọ, ma asụsụ bekee anyi na asụ, so n'ọchịchị ndi bekee. Ịhe mere m'ji so n'asụ ya bụ na nani'm agaghị ana asụ asụsụ ọzọ ebe ana asụ asụsụ bekee. Ma onweghị ihe ọzọ, ịhụgo n'anyị were ike ide ihe n'asụsụ ọzọ.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 22, 2017
stop creating shitty threads. English is widely used in ethiopia for official business. the country with the highest english speakers is china

1 Like

Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by juliuscapps(m): 11:02am On Jul 22, 2017
My young bro earns 7figure monthly teaching young teen English Language in China. To me, English is a plus in China!
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by chukxie(m): 11:56am On Jul 22, 2017
juliuscapps:
My young bro earns 7figure monthly teaching young teen English Language in China. To me, English is a plus in China!

Abeg link me where you bro dey make me self go hammer.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Abudu2000(m): 12:01pm On Jul 22, 2017
Brazil too
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by dedons: 12:50pm On Jul 22, 2017
English is also useless in Ewedu Republic.
Those people can bomb you with their ewedu kind of English.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Basic123: 2:48pm On Jul 22, 2017
dedons:
English is also useless in Ewedu Republic.

Those people can bomb you with their ewedu kind of English.
That is why chinua Achebe escaped from the village witches in faecal oha land to come and learn it in ewedu republic.
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by dreamwords: 2:52pm On Jul 22, 2017
Arewa land
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by Nightking04(m): 3:36pm On Jul 22, 2017
musicwriter:
English is the language of slaves. No true independent nation would put a foreign language above her own. And I try to inform people we can do without English, but they can't just get their heads around it.
I am shocked in you. why aren't you typing in "wherever you come from's" language?
Re: Countries Where English Language Is 100% Useless by musicwriter(m): 4:15pm On Jul 22, 2017
Nightking04:
I am shocked in you. why aren't you typing in "wherever you come from's" language?

Why do you think I' am unable to do that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jamb’s Computer-based Test Will Curb Exam Malpractice, Says Registrar / NOUN 2018/2019 GP Calculation Tool. Be The First To Use It / Best Possible Or Possible Best, Which Is Correct Or Most Correct

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.