Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,586 members, 7,816,441 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Which Is More Correct? You’re Welcome Or You’re Welcomed? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Is More Correct? You’re Welcome Or You’re Welcomed? (2517 Views)

Two Nigerian Students Sent To Study Abroad Welcome A New Baby. Photos / Grammatical Errors That Welcomed President Buhari Home / ASUU To FG: You’re Responsible For Education Backwardness In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is More Correct? You’re Welcome Or You’re Welcomed? by NifemiOlu(m): 9:59pm On Jun 01, 2016
The words ‘welcome’ and ‘welcomed’ belong to different classes (in context). ‘Welcome’ normally is a verb, an adjective and a noun…and sometimes an exclamation while ‘welcomed’ is mostly an adjective.
Those who have a penchant for English know that the language is HIGHLY contextual. This is perhaps the root of many grammatical blunders and influence of Black American English cannot be disregarded too.

Analysis:

PREMISE 1 (CONTEXTUAL)

You may say “this is a welcome development” (CORRECT)
You may say “this development is welcome” (INCORRECT)
In the first statement, you are suggesting that this is a gladly accepted development
You may also say “you are a welcome guest” (CORRECT)
If you’re going to use “you’re welcome”, then a noun must follow as in ‘guest’ above so you may say, “you’re a welcome guy anytime” (and note the article too).

NOTE: THE CONTEXT OF ‘WELCOME’ IS GLADLY ACCEPTED, FREELY ACCEPTED, EAGERLY ACCEPETED ETC. This may not be the most appropriate response to “thank you”, the reason we use “you’re welcome” in the first place.

PREMISE 2
ACTIVE AND PASSIVE VOICES

Examples of ACTIVE VOICE:
This bores you. (or: I bore you.)
I accept you.
I love you.
I trust you.
I excite you.
I welcome you.

EXAMPLES OF PASSIVE VOICE:
You are bored. (not "You are bore"wink
You are accepted. (not "You are accept"wink
You are loved. (not "You are love"wink
You are trusted. (not "You are trust"wink
You are excited. (not "You are excite"wink
You are welcomed. (not "You are welcome"wink
In fact, you may say, “you are cursed” not “you are curse”.

Always remember the distinction between ACTIVE VOICE and PASSIVE VOICE: I welcome you, and you are welcomed (by me). Note, there is no article at all.

The words: bored, accepted, trusted, loved, welcomed are also examples of participial adjectives and their roles as adjectives can also be understood in the following examples.
Used as an adjective, we would have:
The bored guest.
The accepted guest
The loved guest (or the beloved guest)
The excited guest
The welcomed guest.

From the foregoing, "You are welcomed" is more correct across board.
By the way, the -d ending in these cases are not an expression of past tense at all.
You may wish to state that:
You’re a welcome guest (Correct but it means you’re a gladly accepted guest)
You’re welcomed (more correct across board)
If you still have doubts, you need to ask for a refund of the schools fees you paid in secondary school. Lol .

By: NifemiOlu
Admin:
https://nifemiolu..com.ng
Re: Which Is More Correct? You’re Welcome Or You’re Welcomed? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jun 01, 2016
There is nothing like "more correct"

In contemporary English,

Correct doesn't have superlative.
Correct has attained Its highest level of intensification
Re: Which Is More Correct? You’re Welcome Or You’re Welcomed? by NifemiOlu(m): 10:32pm On Jun 01, 2016
kenonze:
There is nothing like "more correct"

In contemporary English,

Correct doesn't have superlative.
[b]Correct have
attained Its highest level of intensification[/b]

An average school leaver knows this, I only used it to stress its level of correctness. Don't you get it?
In your own response, kindly change "Correct have attained..." to "correct has attained..."
Kindly discuss the topic at hand. Thanks for your observation.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is More Correct? You’re Welcome Or You’re Welcomed? by Nobody: 2:56am On Jun 02, 2016
NifemiOlu:

An average school leaver knows this, I only used it to stress its level of correctness. Don't you get it?
In your own response, kindly change "Correct have attained..." to "correct has attained..."
Kindly discuss the topic at hand. Thanks for your observation.

Ok Thanks.
U are welcomed
Re: Which Is More Correct? You’re Welcome Or You’re Welcomed? by NifemiOlu(m): 3:02am On Jun 02, 2016
kenonze:

Ok Thanks.
U are welcomed
smiley

(1) (Reply)

I Come I Came I Concer, Why Are Nigerian Graduates Like This? (pics) / OAU Ife Must Apologise To PUTME Candidates / How Much Does Enugu State Pay Secondary School Teachers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.