Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,872 members, 7,813,970 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:03 PM

‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe (913 Views)

On This Day: Two Years Ago, Orubebe. The Man Who Saw Tomorrow / See What Orubebe Tried To Stop - Pics / Soldier: 'I Will Never Regret If I Die Serving My Nation' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by Dhamiez: 7:03am On Jun 04, 2016
A Former Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Godsday Orubebe, has said that he regrets ever serving Nigeria following criminal charges slammed against him by the Federal government.

Orubebe is facing trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) for his alleged failure to declare one of his assets in 2011.

Led in evidence by his counsel, Selekowei Larry SAN, Orubebe who testified in his own defence as the court to dismiss the case as he has nothing to do with the charges brought against him.

He said:

“Let me make this point now here before this Tribunal that the only regret I have for serving this country is this trial. It is very unfortunate, it is regrettable, it is shameful. I am sad and my heart is heavy because I am put on trial on mere empty land in the bush here in Abuja officially given to me by the same government I served.

“Nigerians may not know this and I wish to say it out that during the peak of the militancy in the Niger Delta, I slept with the militants in the Creek for two weeks, negotiating with them on how to adopt peaceful approach for their demands, and in the end, my efforts brought peace to this country and our oil companies have their peace and Nigeria was better for it in the area of security and economy because of my efforts, only to be compensated with this trial that has destabilized me.

“I still love this country but I have a pain in my neck. I have respect for government and its policies. If the Code of Conduct Bureau had invited me for clarifications on my asset forms, I would have honoured them because it is a simple thing to do and because my conscience is clear.”

1 Like

Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by Samtob90(m): 7:09am On Jun 04, 2016
You admitted the land was given to you or own it, you ought to have disclosed it then and nobody will challenge you for that.
Accept the outcome because it is law.
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by Ginaz(f): 7:11am On Jun 04, 2016
summary plsssssss, I can't just read suddenly. I don't know why.........
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by oyemmyx72(m): 7:12am On Jun 04, 2016
U are a disgrace to Nigeria......... Were u slipn wen u filled ur form.
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by PassingShot(m): 7:13am On Jun 04, 2016
We regret ever having you as a minister. You're a disgrace to Nigeria indeed.
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by babdap: 7:19am On Jun 04, 2016
Did you regret enjoying all the benefits serving your country?
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by Splinz(m): 8:13am On Jun 04, 2016
Sadly, Buhari is busy creating more enemies for his government. Imagine the likes of Orubebe being hunted now, wouldn't he have been use to reason again with the boys in the creek?
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by Tinubutoto: 8:16am On Jun 04, 2016
Is it that some persons are so daft that they always leave the topic to discuss unimportant issues? The man said the land was not his own when he filled the form and he gave out the land when it was given to him, yet some are questioning why he didn't include it. So because he disgraced himself we shouldn't reason again?
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by omenka(m): 8:37am On Jun 04, 2016
We regret having you as a citizen twice as much as you regret serving yourself the country.
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by bender79: 8:54am On Jun 04, 2016
Just give us our yam and relocate to Afghanistan
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by Dannyset(m): 9:08am On Jun 04, 2016
This man is almost becoming a dunce. Gosh!
Is sleeping in the creek for 2 weeks with militants a kind of defends in a law court?
Rubbish ni man yi sha.
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by IVORY2009(m): 9:10am On Jun 04, 2016
[s]quote author=omenka post=46259284]We regret having you as a citizen twice as much as you regret serving yourself the country.[/quote][/s]

Common
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by Nobody: 10:41am On Jun 04, 2016
...and cursed be the day you were called to serve
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by babadee1(m): 10:44am On Jun 04, 2016
Elder you served yourself not your country.
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by Goke7: 10:52am On Jun 04, 2016
Oloshi, these are the guys NDA should be bombing. A whole former minister of Niger delta ministry with nothing to show for the development of the region.

Orubebe you are partial, 'we will not take it' grin
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by carreport(m): 10:53am On Jun 04, 2016
We regret you ever been a Minister of the Federal Republic
Kindly return all the loot you illegally acquired.

Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by allthingsgood: 11:02am On Jun 04, 2016
Can u imagine this thief!

Only in nigeria that greedy thieves paint themselves as heroes and some buffoons that call themselves wailers will actually swallow the silly lies
Re: ‘I Regret Serving My Country’ – Orubebe by lukaino(m): 11:03am On Jun 04, 2016
Same Orubebe who accepted a fully built up house gift in Abuja from Setraco while still minister of the federal republic of Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

I Handed Buhari Africa's Largest Economy With $574 Billion GDP – Jonathan / This Prediction Is Becoming Real / Re: El-zakzaky Is Happy And Comfortable With His Detention - DSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.