Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,298 members, 7,822,483 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip (11039 Views)

Road Trip, Abuja - Tafawa Balewa(bauchi) - Wukari(taraba) - Makurdi - Abuja / Lagos To Zaria Road Trip (with Pics) / My Road Trip From Lagos To Owerri And Back. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 8:13pm On Jun 19, 2016
Finally Lokoja. At the waterside.

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 8:15pm On Jun 19, 2016
On one of those bridges after Lokoja on Lokoja-Abuja road

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 8:19pm On Jun 19, 2016
At final destination. Arrival at 1530hrs, 395.5miles (633km) over 8hrs.

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by kingreign(m): 7:04am On Jun 20, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

you will get a thesis for this question.

Runs out of thread...... grin

grin grin
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by lonelydora: 3:33pm On Jun 20, 2016
Thank God you arrived Abuja safely, but if i were you I would have taken

Owerri - Onitsha - Onicha Ugbo - Uromi- Okene - Lokoja.

But got to be very careful along Okene - Lokoja route because of armed robbers.

Guess you made good use of your 'Cruise Control' on the Lokoja - Abuja stretch? grin grin

1 Like

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by adinoyiM(m): 5:50pm On Jun 20, 2016
Piyke:
On one of those bridges after Lokoja on Lokoja-Abuja road

This is the Murtala Muhammed Bridge. Right over the confluence of the Niger and Benue rivers.
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by adinoyiM(m): 5:52pm On Jun 20, 2016
Piyke:
At final destination. Arrival at 1530hrs, 395.5miles (633km) over 8hrs.

Congratulations on the safe trip.
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 8:02pm On Jun 20, 2016
Although I saw that route on Google maps, don't know anyone that has used it. Have you?
I did use a bit of cruise control but I enjoyed stomping the pedal myself while on that clean stretch
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 8:04pm On Jun 20, 2016
adinoyiM:

This is the Murtala Muhammed Bridge. Right over the confluence of the Niger and Benue rivers.

Thanks a lot. Actually called it Abuja bridge in my mind cheesy
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 8:05pm On Jun 20, 2016
adinoyiM:

Congratulations on the safe trip.

Thanks.

Noxide report o
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Nobody: 12:13am On Jun 21, 2016
Piyke thanks for the few beautiful pictures. much appreciated and we also thank God for safe arrival at your destination.
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jun 21, 2016
Nice one Piyke. Glad u arrived safely

It seems the Enugu-abuja route is smoother than Okene-Abuja route . . . truly the potholes (and armed robbers) no dey look your face angry , in fact two cars were robbed on my first trip. Our bus had to wait for police to turn up b4 we continued.

For a moment I was happy not to drive

1 Like

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by emmaak2(m): 2:56pm On Jun 23, 2016
WOW CONGRATS
WHAT WAS THE MODEL OF YOUR CAR?
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by kingreign(m): 4:05pm On Jun 23, 2016
Piyke:
Although I saw that route on Google maps, don't know anyone that has used it. Have you?
I did use a bit of cruise control but I enjoyed stomping the pedal myself while on that clean stretch

Next time, stomp hard as soon as you pass the Lokoja bridge. wwhen you get tobyour comfortable speed, let the cruise control do its own. (Do not fall asleep or get distracted during this crucial time). cool
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 8:13pm On Jun 23, 2016
noxide:
Nice one Piyke. Glad u arrived safely

It seems the Enugu-abuja route is smoother than Okene-Abuja route . . . truly the potholes (and armed robbers) no dey look your face angry , in fact two cars were robbed on my first trip. Our bus had to wait for police to turn up b4 we continued.

For a moment I was happy not to drive

Thank God your trip was safe as well. All the best
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 8:21pm On Jun 23, 2016
dumo1:
Piyke thanks for the few beautiful pictures. much appreciated and we also thank God for safe arrival at your destination.
Thanks mate!
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 8:23pm On Jun 23, 2016
emmaak2:
WOW CONGRATS
WHAT WAS THE MODEL OF YOUR CAR?

2003 Accord LX, 2.4L
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 8:40pm On Jun 23, 2016
kingreign:

Next time, stomp hard as soon as you pass the Lokoja bridge. wwhen you get tobyour comfortable speed, let the cruise control do its own. (Do not fall asleep or get distracted during this crucial time). cool

Thanks Oga King. One more reason why I didn't do this was I noticed that this road although good had many sections where the road surface was warped. Since it was my first time doing the road I decided to go manual.

BTW the best road in Nigeria I have driven on is Warri- Ughelli - Patani road. Ibori through Setraco really did a fantastic job there
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 11:27am On Aug 06, 2016
IdaraCHODB:
Dearest friend

I think the sections of the road that are bad along the Ajaokuta route are lesser than the sections of the road that are bad on the Lokoja Okene route.

However, the Ajaokuta route has more twists and turns but the Lokoja Okene route has more straights.

But the Ajaokuta route has fewer terribly dangerous potholes and the Lokoja Okene route has more than a fair share of terribly dangerous potholes so it cancels out. Especially around Okene and some parts of Edo, well I do not remember the name of the places.

If you can do as F1 drivers do, pin it down on the straights and do it safe and slow on the twists and turns, given the bad nature of major sections of Edo and Lokoja Okene routes, it is technically possible to get to abuja faster with the Ajaokuta route.

You are less likely to lose a tire on the Ajaokuta route due to bad roads and more likely to lose a tire in Edo route due to terrible roads

Now assuming you like to keep it steady at 120 - 140 km/hr, then you can do that for hours on end on Ajaokuta route but with the Lokoja Okene route, you will have so many instances of dialing the speed down and then having to pick it up again and before you know it you will have to slow down again in an almost unending cycle on the Lokoja Okene route, not so for the Ajaokuta route.

It just depends on the driver and the car.

Do me a favor, please bring along your A/C kit. I have been planning to visit Owerri because of you, but you are coming to Abuja, please bring it along and give me some professional A/C love even if I have to pay.

Safe trip

Hello bruh, noticed I omitted a response to the bold in error. My bad. Still setting up my place so may not be able to attend to fixes till next month. I'll let you know once I'm good
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by IdaraCHODB(m): 7:55am On Aug 08, 2016
Piyke:

Hello bruh, noticed I omitted a response to the bold in error. My bad. Still setting up my place so may not be able to attend to fixes till next month. I'll let you know once I'm good

That will be nice...on second thoughts, I should have contacted you offline, was planning to do so.

All the best
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by SerPounce(m): 7:30pm On Nov 07, 2018
Good evening Piyke, have you by any chance done this trip again recently? I'll be driving to Abuja from Owerri by this weekend, and would have loved to know the current state of the roads. Especially this rainy season.

I last did this trip in February (Abuja to Owerri). The roads were relatively OK then. Will like to know the current state of the roads and the best route to take.

Anyone with info kindly help out.
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 1:35pm On Nov 11, 2018
SerPounce:
Good evening Piyke, have you by any chance done this trip again recently? I'll be driving to Abuja from Owerri by this weekend, and would have loved to know the current state of the roads. Especially this rainy season.

I last did this trip in February (Abuja to Owerri). The roads were relatively OK then. Will like to know the current state of the roads and the best route to take.

Anyone with info kindly help out.

Can't believe I'm just seeing this.
The mention didn't work this time. angry
Guess you would have made the trip. Haven't done this since the trip that made me open this thread, so not really sure of the state of roads.

Abeg, update on the roads. May have to drive to Enugu soon. Will also be helpful as folks plan festive travels.
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by SerPounce(m): 12:06pm On Nov 14, 2018
Piyke:

Can't believe I'm just seeing this.
The mention didn't work this time. angry
Guess you would have made the trip. Haven't done this since the trip that made me open this thread, so not really sure of the state of roads.

Abeg, update on the roads. May have to drive to Enugu at soon. Will also be helpful as folks plan festive travels.

Yes I made the trip last Saturday. The roads were slightly better than I expected, given the rainy season. Bad roads between Owerri and Okigwe but there's an alternative route through Anara.

Since you're going to Enugu, the rough spots I noticed were
1. The road just on the outskirts of Nsukka along the Enugu - Makurdi road.
2. The Ajaokuta road.

Nothing too terrible though. I barely felt any scrape on the underside of my vehicle.

1 Like

Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Piyke: 5:54pm On Nov 14, 2018
SerPounce:

Yes I made the trip last Saturday. The roads were slightly better than I expected, given the rainy season. Bad roads between Owerri and Okigwe but there's an alternative route through Anara.

Since you're going to Enugu, the rough spots I noticed were
1. The road just on the outskirts of Nsukka along the Enugu - Makurdi road.
2. The Ajaokuta road.

Nothing too terrible though. I barely felt any scrape on the underside of my vehicle.

Phew! Good to hear. Thanks for the update.
Re: Best Route: Owerri To Abuja Road Trip by Ayomarcel(m): 4:22pm On Sep 17, 2020
Amazing journey

(1) (2) (Reply)

How good is Fuel Injector Cleaners? / Mercedes-AMG And Cigarette Racing Unveil N722m Hypercar-Inspired Racing Boat / Aston Martin Is Building Its First All-electric Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.