Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,184 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? (14568 Views)

Shiites Give A Drawing Of Jesus To Christians In Bauchi To Promote Peace / What Happens To Christians Who Stray? - Paul Ellis / Are You Ready? A Short Message To Christians By Lyoncrescent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by oppybouy(m): 5:55pm On Jun 05, 2016
Loool. Wah letter would you prefer Op?
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Nickymezor(f): 5:56pm On Jun 05, 2016
Here to read comments kiss
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Achillesdam500(m): 5:58pm On Jun 05, 2016
Lacomus:
Op why do yu use 9ja instead of Nigeria gringrin
SEXY. Me dey observe some MUMU here
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jun 05, 2016
Why do Nigerians find it hard to type a _fucking three letter word 'why?'. I always feel like beating people whenever they type 'y' and never include a question mark.
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 05, 2016
Daraph:
Whatever... My own is just that admission is sure for me this year.
Federal University of Technology,Akure I'm coming
without postutme is gonna be tough

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by fransixe(m): 6:03pm On Jun 05, 2016
fenfend455:
the day wey i go catch you with this your scam ehn? You go smell your y**sh. ...keep deceiving people with MTN bull crap that don't exist.
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 05, 2016
cheesy life is too short to giv a Bleep about crap. Its just a short way of writing. Xmas or xtian. Wareva.

The point is so long u knw wat it means then d rest shudnt matter.

Please oooo. Hope say nobody wan behead anybody for blasphemy oooo.
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Lilimax(f): 6:05pm On Jun 05, 2016
Only people that lack knowledge and understanding will replace the name Christ with 'X' in the word Christian. The name Christ is the most powerful name on earth. Endeavor to mention that name always so that Satan and demons will tremble and bow. It pains me when Christians participates in this... embarassed

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Wolexdey(m): 6:09pm On Jun 05, 2016
Nice one at Op...Christian and not Xtians...CHRIST JESUS and not to be replaced with X.

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Daraph(m): 6:10pm On Jun 05, 2016
lilzcee:
without postutme is gonna be tough
Abi ooo... I'm just confused,but I have hope that I'll be admitted this year
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by deeway200(m): 6:13pm On Jun 05, 2016
Can u please ask Lai Muhammed?
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by VictorRomanov: 6:17pm On Jun 05, 2016
SamJed:
Why say xtians instead of Christian Why say Xmas instead of Christmas Why substitute Christ for x knowing fully well that X signifies bad Even if it is long to type, why use 'x' of all letters Would 'C' not have been better Personally, I try as much as possible to type it in full because Christ shouldn't be replaced with 'X'...

What in the world informed that X signifies bad?
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by franklin000(m): 6:21pm On Jun 05, 2016
booked
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Phi001(m): 6:31pm On Jun 05, 2016
Lilimax:
Only people that lack knowledge and understanding will replace the name Christ with 'X' in the word Christian. The name Christ is the most powerful name on earth. Endeavor to mention that name always so that Satan and demons will tremble and bow. It pains me when Christians participates in this... embarassed
Instead of talking balderdash, why don't you find out why X is used? English wasn't the first language that was used translate the bible....it's not as if anyone calls Jesus X...
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by xmen4mee(m): 6:40pm On Jun 05, 2016
idiot what's wrong with letter x
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 05, 2016
It's probably represents the sign of the cross and as Christians, the sign represents Jesus.
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by francis247(m): 6:51pm On Jun 05, 2016
It's just a short form. Don't forget it's also used to write characteristics; I. e, Xtics.
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by bbjummy: 6:57pm On Jun 05, 2016
SamJed:
Why say xtians instead of Christian Why say Xmas instead of Christmas Why substitute Christ for x knowing fully well that X signifies bad Even if it is long to type, why use 'x' of all letters Would 'C' not have been better Personally, I try as much as possible to type it in full because Christ shouldn't be replaced with 'X'...

How comes *X* is now a bad letter?
Or are you referring to *Ex*?
This OP sha! I rather prefer you ask us to stop the abbreviations or what do you think?
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by laikas: 7:03pm On Jun 05, 2016
thanks man, even me i also make such mistake
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by smiliyB(f): 7:30pm On Jun 05, 2016
SamJed:

thanks so muchh for bringing this to our notice,since I learnt of dis,I always try in my capacity to teach others not to replace Christ with X...not nice at all.

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by SamJed(m): 7:50pm On Jun 05, 2016
bbjummy:

How comes *X* is now a bad letter?
Or are you referring to *Ex*?
This OP sha! I rather prefer you ask us to stop the abbreviations or what do you think?

i think no abbreviation should be used...it should be written in full

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by SamJed(m): 8:01pm On Jun 05, 2016
SUPERPACK:
It turns out, “Xmas” is not a non-religious version of “Christmas”. The “X” is actually indicating the Greek letter “Chi”, which is short for the Greek , meaning “Christ”. So “Xmas” and “Christmas” are equivalent in every way except their lettering.
In fact, although writing guides such as those issued by the New York Times; the BBC; The Christian Writer’s Manual of Style; and Oxford Press discourage the use of Xmas in formal writing, at one time, it was a very popular practice, particularly with religious scribes, who are thought to have started the whole “Xmas” thing in the first place. Indeed, the practice of using the symbol “X” in place of Christ’s name has been going on amongst religious scholars for at least 1000 years.
Eventually, this shorthand trick spread to non-religious writings where nearly everywhere “Christ” appeared in a word, the Greek Chi would replace that part of the word. For example, in the 17th and 18th centuries, there are numerous non-religious documents containing instances of “Xine”, which was a common spelling for someone whose name was Christine.
thanks for the info but since we use English why don't we stick to it rather than using the Greek one...i think the English one expresses the words 'christmas' and 'Christian' better...my thought though
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by jeevyww(m): 8:18pm On Jun 05, 2016
I think Nigerians are over religious and if it shows in our daily lives we would be better,than being hypocritical in nature..now to the topic,the bible was originaly written in Greek and Hebrew..Christ in Greek is Xristos...Op we translating Xristos to Christ in English doesnt change who he is..x is an abbreviation,sometimes we worry over very trival issues

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by charlsecy(m): 8:22pm On Jun 05, 2016
SamJed:
dd12345:
The world hate christ and everything that christ stand for...that is why they try to erase anything associated with christ.
Wolexdey:
Nice one at Op...Christian and not Xtians...CHRIST JESUS and not to be replaced with X.
mrZENographer:
I also noticed that atheists love to say x and avoid using christians.
okpooo:
it shouldn't be used....becos x cannot be used for Christ and it is Christian not Xtian
Lilimax:
The name Christ is the most powerful name on earth.

I think this is a linguist issue, and has nothing to do with a demonic attempt at replacing Christ in our life. What name did Mary call the Saviour by? Was it "Christ?" Was it "Jesus?"

STFUand4kMeHARD:
And we ought to behead whoever says that
Your bigotry and nescience may require that you be beheaded instead.
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by mrZENographer: 8:23pm On Jun 05, 2016
okpooo:
it shouldn't be used....becos x cannot be used for Christ and it is Christian not Xtian

True. I also noticed that atheists love to say x and avoid using christians. Christians have been carried away with that damned word not knowing why it was originally used

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jun 05, 2016
Daraph:

Abi ooo... I'm just confused,but I have hope that I'll be admitted this year
same with me, buh only few people know about funai thats my happiness

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by SUPERPACK: 8:49pm On Jun 05, 2016
SamJed:
thanks for the info but since we use English why don't we stick to it rather than using the Greek one...i think the English one expresses the words 'christmas' and 'Christian' better...my thought though
telling people to stop using xmas and xtian is like telling people to stop using 9ja and start using nigeria, stop using 2morrow or 5n on social media,
everybody is looking for shotcut, observe the posts on nairaland and u will understand. how difficult it will be to stop it.
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by StoneColdBiceps(m): 8:58pm On Jun 05, 2016
SUPERPACK:
It turns out, “Xmas” is not a non-religious version of “Christmas”. The “X” is actually indicating the Greek letter “Chi”, which is short for the Greek , meaning “Christ”. So “Xmas” and “Christmas” are equivalent in every way except their lettering.
In fact, although writing guides such as those issued by the New York Times; the BBC; The Christian Writer’s Manual of Style; and Oxford Press discourage the use of Xmas in formal writing, at one time, it was a very popular practice, particularly with religious scribes, who are thought to have started the whole “Xmas” thing in the first place. Indeed, the practice of using the symbol “X” in place of Christ’s name has been going on amongst religious scholars for at least 1000 years.
Eventually, this shorthand trick spread to non-religious writings where nearly everywhere “Christ” appeared in a word, the Greek Chi would replace that part of the word. For example, in the 17th and 18th centuries, there are numerous non-religious documents containing instances of “Xine”, which was a common spelling for someone whose name was Christine.

Well, inasmuch as "X" is an alphabet i personally dont use it in describing Christian and Christ.

But some Muslims use it frequently as a wishfull thinking describing "Christians" hoping Christian goes into extinction. Some Moslem that uses "X" are the ones who are afraid of pronouncing "Jesus Christ" these are the extreme fanatics that are happy silently when Christians get killed in Islamic purported violence.

"X" or whatever dosent diminish the importance and power of Christ and Christians

2 Likes

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by TDonald: 8:59pm On Jun 05, 2016
Daraph:

He said;
"X" means Christ in Greek and writing it as Xmas is formal

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by cooljoe(m): 9:53pm On Jun 05, 2016
June24th:

[size=15pt]Good this made front page..
Another thing I hate is someone abbreviating In Jesus' Name with Ijn..
Make we try change and write in full please
[/size]
were u born on d 24th of June?

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by June24th: 10:05pm On Jun 05, 2016
cooljoe:
were u born on d 24th of June?
Sure dude

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

No Matter The Economy Of The Jungle.i Can Never Eat Grass...it Is Not Pride... / OPM's Apostle Chibuzo Gives Woman, Free Housing, Cash, Scholarship For Kids / The Pentecostal Church Verses The Catholic Church.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.