Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? (14571 Views)

Shiites Give A Drawing Of Jesus To Christians In Bauchi To Promote Peace / What Happens To Christians Who Stray? - Paul Ellis / Are You Ready? A Short Message To Christians By Lyoncrescent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Coldfeet(f): 10:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
Very dissapointed by the majority of comments here!
Its either they are non Christians or ignorant Christians.
X to raplace Christ is a ploy to wipe off Christ from literature. Someday our kids won't remember or know that it is Christ that makes one a Christians and He is also the reason why we celebrate Christmas! Take it away now and gradually it becomes lost.

Xmas and xtians mean NOTHING! it doesn't tell the story, the history or the person whom we follow.

Greeks ain't Christians from the get go so why should we use their alphabet to pronounce Christ?
Why not a Hebrew or latin alphabet?
We may as well use the Chinese or Indian alphabet's to replace Christ in Christmas and Christians after all its a cool shortcut! angry

Let my people not parish for lack of knowledge.

If you can type every other word in your sentence in full why do you then abbreviate Christ?
Some say it's nothing and it doesn't make you any less a Christians but I tell you that you lie?
Because Christ said it that if you are ashamed of me I will be ashamed of you! You will say but we called you Lord and He will say I know ye not!

Why do we have endangered animals in conservation? Its because we want the future to see this animal before they are wiped off.
With this trend Christ may soon become an endangered word that our children won't know about.

Enough of my epistle, dog weh wan die the spirits go first block hin ear make him no hear the master whistle.
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by cooljoe(m): 10:46pm On Jun 05, 2016
June24th:
Sure dude
very nice
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jun 05, 2016
Achillesdam500:
SEXY. Me dey observe some MUMU here
LoL
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Daraph(m): 11:37pm On Jun 05, 2016
lilzcee:
same with me, buh only few people know about funai thats my happiness

Haven't heard about the university before too. It's federal university I guess
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Nobody: 6:06am On Jun 06, 2016
Daraph:

Haven't heard about the university before too. It's federal university I guess
yup

1 Like

Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by fridayj(m): 7:44am On Jun 06, 2016
SUPERPACK:
It turns out, “Xmas” is not a non-religious version of “Christmas”. The “X” is actually indicating the Greek letter “Chi”, which is short for the Greek , meaning “Christ”. So “Xmas” and “Christmas” are equivalent in every way except their lettering.
In fact, although writing guides such as those issued by the New York Times; the BBC; The Christian Writer’s Manual of Style; and Oxford Press discourage the use of Xmas in formal writing, at one time, it was a very popular practice, particularly with religious scribes, who are thought to have started the whole “Xmas” thing in the first place. Indeed, the practice of using the symbol “X” in place of Christ’s name has been going on amongst religious scholars for at least 1000 years.
Eventually, this shorthand trick spread to non-religious writings where nearly everywhere “Christ” appeared in a word, the Greek Chi would replace that part of the word. For example, in the 17th and 18th centuries, there are numerous non-religious documents containing instances of “Xine”, which was a common spelling for someone whose name was Christine.
...,.pls mr grek is it a mistak d Xvideo u no rit frm time d world try 2 hid d divinity of bt fail...
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Bakass(m): 8:28am On Jun 06, 2016
Bisjosh:
So because of "X" now, u can't sleep? undecided

Nigerians really take things that are insignificant in high esteem.

So using X, does it reduce who Christ is?
U AR A HOPLES FOOL, GO AND TRY DAT WIT DE GOD OF THE MUSLIMS IF DEY WIL BHEAD YOU
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by June24th: 11:37am On Jun 06, 2016
cooljoe:
very nice
Why did u ask
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by cooljoe(m): 8:25pm On Jun 06, 2016
June24th:
Why did u ask
just wanted to know. I was born on d 24th of June.
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by cooljoe(m): 8:26pm On Jun 06, 2016
June24th:
Why did u ask
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by Nobody: 8:31am On Jun 07, 2016
jeevyww:
I think Nigerians are over religious and if it shows in our daily lives we would be better,than being hypocritical in nature..now to the topic,the bible was originaly written in Greek and Hebrew..Christ in Greek is Xristos...Op we translating Xristos to Christ in English doesnt change who he is..x is an abbreviation,sometimes we worry over very trival issues
Seriously, I like what u wrote up there
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by June24th: 5:16pm On Jun 07, 2016
cooljoe:
[size=20pt]Oops, see ma birthday mate... Happy birthday in advance mate cheesy cheesy cheesy[/size]
Re: Why Use The Letter 'X' When Referring To Christians? by cooljoe(m): 6:30pm On Jun 07, 2016
June24th:

[size=20pt]Oops, see ma birthday mate... Happy birthday in advance mate cheesy cheesy cheesy[/size]
happi birthday in advance to u too.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

No Matter The Economy Of The Jungle.i Can Never Eat Grass...it Is Not Pride... / OPM's Apostle Chibuzo Gives Woman, Free Housing, Cash, Scholarship For Kids / The Pentecostal Church Verses The Catholic Church.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.