Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,228 members, 7,811,630 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:10 PM

The Different Between BEEN And BEING - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Different Between BEEN And BEING (1206 Views)

What Is The Different Between Pidgin And Broken English? / What Is The Different Between Doctors And Pharmacist / What Is The Different Between "In Correct" And "Wrong"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Different Between BEEN And BEING by petros4love(m): 2:43pm On Jun 05, 2016
This question was asked from a student in one of Nigeria's Institutions and not to be mention precise. Question : Is it correct to say “Thanks for being a good brother,” or is it “Thanks for been a good brother”? Please explain. Answer to it: Good question! "Thanks for being a good brother" is correct. We would never say, "Thanks for been a good brother." Being and been are both forms of the verb "to be" . Being is the progressive form of the verb "to be." This means the action is ongoing or continuing. When we say, "Thanks for being a good brother," we use the progressive form because he is continuing to be a good brother. Been is the perfect form of the verb "to be." This means the action is complete or finished. Example: He has been a good brother in the past, but is now being rude. The word been is used after an auxiliary verb . Examples: The kids had been having fun before the party ended. I have been tricked. All the food has been eaten. HOPE YOU HAVE GAINED SOMETHING? DROP YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT US MORE TUTOR FROM US.

3 Likes

Re: The Different Between BEEN And BEING by DesChyko: 2:46pm On Jun 05, 2016
Good tutorial. Many writings have this error strewn all over. However, a concise review of the twelve tenses instead of just 'been' and 'being' would surely go a long way.
Re: The Different Between BEEN And BEING by petros4love(m): 2:47pm On Jun 05, 2016
DesChyko:
Good tutorial. Many writings have this error strewn all over. However, a concise review of the twelve tenses instead of just 'been' and 'being' would surely go a long way.
Re: The Different Between BEEN And BEING by favourboy1(m): 2:49pm On Jun 05, 2016
been and being is different, being is for human, been go with most action words.
Re: The Different Between BEEN And BEING by ucheheart(m): 2:57pm On Jun 05, 2016
Op it is 'the difference' not 'the different'.

2 Likes

Re: The Different Between BEEN And BEING by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jun 05, 2016
Have to consciously teach myself the different applications of this. I believe our teachers should've spent more time hammering this in students because I still struggle with them as an adult.

1 Like

Re: The Different Between BEEN And BEING by mayorchelsea(m): 10:26pm On Jun 05, 2016
I think the title of your thread isn't correct at all. It should be 'the difference ' not 'different ',thank you.
Re: The Different Between BEEN And BEING by adexeli(m): 6:57am On Jun 06, 2016
The basics is that, 'BEING' is used with the family of the verb 'IS' i.e was, am, etc while BEEN is used with has, have and had

(1) (Reply)

International Postgraduate Students From Africa Are Struggling / List Of Schools Whose Admission Lists Are Out 2017 | Check Yours Here / 2018/2019 PTDF Scholarships For Masters And Phd In Germany, France And China

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.