Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:53 PM

Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month (1280 Views)

Osinbajo Faces Tough Times In Aso Rock - NewTelegraphOnline / Nationwide Darkness Looms As Electricity Supply Drops To 1,400MW / Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by elbinmanny(m): 3:40pm On Jun 05, 2016
The nation’s power generation plunged to zero megawatt six times last month, the highest level since 2009, industry data obtained by our correspondent on Friday showed.Electricity supply to households and businesses across the country dropped significantly in May as the national grid recorded six total collapses and one partial collapse within the period.

The national grid completely collapsed 11 times in the first five months of the year, as compared to six and nine times for the whole of 2015 and 2014, respectively.
The latest total system collapse was recorded on Wednesday, June 1, according to the data.As of 6am on Friday, eleven power plants, including the Shiroro Power Station in Niger State, were not generating any megawatts of electricity.Others were Afam IV & V, Geregu I, Omotosho I, AES, ASCO, Trans-Amadi, Rivers IPP, Gbarain, Olorunsogo I and II.

The total national power generation stood at 2,604.5MW as of 6am on Friday, down from a peak of 5,074.7MW on February 2, according to the Ministry of Power.The slide in power generation has worsened the blackout being experienced in many parts of the country, with several consumers without electricity for hours in recent weeks.Generation from Egbin, the nation’s biggest power station, stood at 181MW, down from 1,085MW on March 15.Shiroro Power Station in Niger State, Olorunsogo II in Ogun State, and Rivers and Trans-Amadi IPPs, both in Rivers State, were idle.

Increasing gas constraints largely occasioned by recent attacks on pipelines in the Niger Delta had left about 4,400MW of the nation’s power generation capacity idle as of Friday.Other factors limiting electricity generation are line constraints/load rejection by the distribution companies and water management/maintenance, according to industry data.Gas constraints prevented 3,661.1MW from being generated, while 355.6MW and 380MW could not be generated due to line constraints/load rejection by Discos and water management/maintenance, respectively.

The nation generates most of its electricity from gas-fired power plants, while output from hydro-power plants makes up about 30 per cent of total generation.As of April 5, the unutilised generation capacity was 3,626.1MW, with 3,100.5MW due to gas constraints; 245.6MW caused by line constraints/rejection by Discos and 280MW as a result of water management/maintenance.The Chairman, Network of Electricity Consumers Advocacy of Nigeria, Mr. Tomi Akingbogun, complained that many consumers were being giving over-estimated bills despite the worsening state of power supply.“We hear that most of the problems arise from the transmission lines because many of them are weak,” he said, adding that the distribution companies had failed to provide prepaid meters to the consumers to ensure that they billed the people only for what they consumed.Akinbogun said, “They (power firms) are not concerned about the total system collapse because they are making money whether they supply electricity or not. So, why will they be interested in making sure that we have electricity?”The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, at a recent public lecture, said, “In our road map to incremental power, we are looking at what we have and what we can get out of them.“We have 26 power plants (including the AES plant), three of the plants are powered by water, the hydro power plants in Jebba, Kainji and Shiroro. The remainders are powered by gas.”He put the total number of turbines, which should actually generate power from 25 power plants (excluding AES), at 140 turbines with installed capacity of 12,341MW.“At the best of times, only about 78 turbines are generating power, which gave us our peak of 5,074 MW.“The problems have been identified as either damaged, unmaintained or unserviced turbines in the hydro power plants; and in the cases of gas plants, it is largely non-availability of gas, coupled with lack of maintenance,” Fashola said.

http://www.punchng.com/electricity-drops-zero-six-times-one-month/
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by elbinmanny(m): 3:41pm On Jun 05, 2016
Let me wait here for the descendants of cowards and their fellow welfare candidates whose only source of livelihood is from the cheated Niger Delta , who have been raped for over 57 yrs and their resources given out as alms in the name of monthly allocations. angry
Relax and watch how they will lament more than the owners of the land where pipelines are being bombed cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by obailala(m): 3:45pm On Jun 05, 2016
Congratulations to the bombers and their supporters!
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jun 05, 2016
NDA
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by elbinmanny(m): 3:52pm On Jun 05, 2016
obailala:
Congratulations to the bombers and their supporters!
you're welcome almajiri slave grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by MadamExcellency: 4:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
This is part of learning process where Nigeria should plan to accommodate sabotage without too much or abrupt disruption of the system (power infrastructure) thereby eliminating the possibility of total collapse.

With proper restructuring and scheduled preventive maintenance, things will be fine.
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by jamace(m): 4:49pm On Jun 05, 2016
Yet the DISCO estimated bills keep soaring upward.

Fashola, can you see yourself?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by akinszz: 5:38pm On Jun 05, 2016
But i dey get light 4 my area. Abi na gen fasola dey use for us ni...
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by SonofDevil: 5:48pm On Jun 05, 2016
elbinmanny:
Let me wait here for the descendants of cowards and their fellow welfare candidates whose only source of livelihood is from the cheated Niger Delta , who have been raped for over 57 yrs and their resources given out as alms in the name of monthly allocations. angry
Relax and watch how they will lament more than the owners of the land where pipelines are being bombed cheesy

This ur ignorance na Legendary..?
When did Nigeria start oil production..
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by Abagworo(m): 5:55pm On Jun 05, 2016
The zero megawatts has never affected my area in Rivers State from getting our 16hours per day.
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by dayo23(f): 5:59pm On Jun 05, 2016
elbinmanny:
ode
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 05, 2016
kai! olekwanu bugaria, olee fashola? Nigeria jaga jaga.... olee ndi zombiea? APC ndi ara. when Nigeria sees light again, dis darkness will disappear forever. Mr lie will soon come n defend dis with lies.
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by obailala(m): 6:31pm On Jun 05, 2016
elbinmanny:
you're welcome almajiri slave grin
I can never be a slave, slavery has since been abolished from my generation since the days of my fore-fathers. I am a cheerful winner.

The only present day slaves we have in Nigeria today are self inflicted mental slaves who have been fighting for phantom freedom from God knows what since their candidate lost an election last year. It's funny how a person who self confesses to be searching for freedom is actually the one claiming someone else is a slave, wonderful!.. cheesy
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by Almajiri1: 6:52pm On Jun 05, 2016
It is well.
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by OlandoOwoo: 7:00pm On Jun 05, 2016
The dullard is on a mission
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by OlandoOwoo: 7:03pm On Jun 05, 2016
elbinmanny:
The slave below you has started already. Are you a prophet?
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by otukpo(f): 7:19pm On Jun 05, 2016
Fashola should please think outside the box.

We are in rainy season. What happened to hydro electricity?

Suddenly, generating electricity for 24/7 supply has become rocket science.

This time last year it was 24/7 and we know what the comments were.
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by elbinmanny(m): 7:26pm On Jun 05, 2016
SonofDevil:

This ur ignorance na Legendary..?
When did Nigeria start oil production..
I dont blame you son, I blame those who stopped the teaching of history in our secondary schools.
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by elbinmanny(m): 7:27pm On Jun 05, 2016
dayo23:
ode
one almajiri slave and refugee from asiwaju's slave camp spotted undecided
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by judondasylva(m): 7:34pm On Jun 05, 2016
Those that abuse NDA my prayer for u is that let strangers take ur inheritance from u and use it to destroy u and ur generation and any day u open ur mouth to fight for your inheritance may u be killed. may u never inherit what belongs to u and may strangers come from far and near to claim ur birth right and use it to fight u. and may u eternally be the slave to the strangers that claim ur inheritance.
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by SonofDevil: 7:36pm On Jun 05, 2016
elbinmanny:
I dont blame you son, I blame those who stopped the teaching of history in our secondary schools.

U need to go back to the history book.

Nigeria start crude oil production at 1973 that is 43 years ago and the production was not up to 100,000 barrel as at that period.
So how did nigeria feed on niger Delta resources for 57 years.
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by aloeman15(m): 12:22am On Jun 06, 2016
Hm. Madam, you try o!
Are these wishes, or hopes and aspirations?
You really expect a man who couldn't finish the expansion of 22km of road to give you electricity?!
Well, they do say nigerians are the most optimistic people on the planet.
'E go beta'.
Abi?
MadamExcellency:
This is part of learning process where Nigeria should plan to accommodate sabotage without too much or abrupt disruption of the system (power infrastructure) thereby eliminating the possibility of total collapse.

With proper restructuring and scheduled preventive maintenance, things will be fine.
Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by scribble: 3:13am On Jun 06, 2016
grin

Re: Electricity Drops To Zero 6 Times In One Month by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:08pm On Jun 06, 2016
A big congrats to the scavengers! Continue and let's see what this gets u!

(1) (Reply)

All We Want Is Self-determination,the Ship Call Nigeria Is Grounded- ND Avengers / Friendly Football Match Between PDP And APC Social Media Forums - PHOTOS / My Heartfelt Sympathy To Tonyebarcanista And His IPOD Online Crew

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.