Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,544 members, 7,837,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

Beware! Role Models Are Not Life Models - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Beware! Role Models Are Not Life Models (364 Views)

Can I Ever Live Like A Normal Humanbeing Again(beware Of The Evil)must Read!! / Beware Of What You Eat- A Short Story By Avatarmode / Role Of Arts In National Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Beware! Role Models Are Not Life Models by iamblazin(m): 7:10am On Jun 06, 2016
THE BEST PERSON TO BE IS YOU

I was thinking the other day why people believe that you have to be like someone else before you can succeed or make impact in life. I discovered that this philosophy or call it determinant is not applicable to all sphere of life, as the saying goes “different stroke for different folk”. Albert Einstein surely wouldn’t have been who he became if he had tried to live like Galileo neither would Socrates made a name for himself if he had restricted his dream to that of Aristotle. Being like someone else is not a failure determinant neither is it a yardstick for success. Mentorship or Role modelling is one of the determinant of success but what inspires us to be successful in life is our originality, our ability to face reality and be real with ourselves, doing things without being under any influence, it can be call the power of will. Doing things willingly, not because someone advised or cajoled you into doing it. If you want to be successful, you first have to be you. Many people, especially the youths find it difficult to be who they truly want to be, study what they want, live life the way they want. All these seem impossible because they have parents who decide their fate for them. Nobody is against the parent wanting the best for their children but doing it the wrong way can surely jeopardise the life they are trying to protect.
I remember back then (not too long ago) my dad used to say to me "Don't you see Gbenga, he is brilliant and well organized (as if The Gbenga in question is not almost ten years older than I am). Can't you just for a second be like Dammy, he's well behaved with humility, agility and gentility. (What surprised me was that I overheard his mum telling him to be like me). I think this is common not to African parents but all the parents around the world. It’s not to be disputed that they want the best for their children. Sometimes they take this parenting thing too serious. But emphasising on weakness more than a Childs strength is no parenting at all.

I tried so hard to be like you, walk the way you do, talk the way you talk, laugh the way you laugh, act the way you do even eat what you eat. Despite the fact that I tried so hard, not minding the hurt and the abuse, I ended up so disappointed not only at the world for not giving me the chance to be like you but also at myself for thinking I could pass for you. It is true that I can be like you but one thing which is the truth and remain unchanged is the fact that I can never be you, the closest I can get is to be like you, a duplicate.
I was thinking the other day that you wouldn't be the You that I want to be if you are a duplicate of another person yourself. You can never be the best if you want to be like someone else, the best person to be is you. You can imitate good character, essence and courage but to live another person’s life is cowardice. It is good to have a role model, someone to look up to for guidance and mentoring but a role model is not a life model.
Re: Beware! Role Models Are Not Life Models by iamblazin(m): 7:16am On Jun 06, 2016
This post is open for criticism and commendation. Pls do comment to encourage the writer! Muchos gracias!!
Re: Beware! Role Models Are Not Life Models by jojothaiv(m): 10:12am On Jun 06, 2016
I don't have anybody as a model...
Maybe Cobhams Asuquo should suffice for now...
I look up to God and myself for inspiration...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Writers Invited To Enter Short Story Competition / Terrorism / Unilag For Humanity Pic-fic Series: Some Heroes Don’t Wear A Cape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.