Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,502 members, 7,770,259 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:16 AM

Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? (10731 Views)

Man Who Escaped Building Collapse In Akwa Ibom Shares Ordeal 1 Year After.Photos / Building Collapse In Nigeria: 6 Early Warning Signs / Mother And Daughter Killed In Lagos Building Collapse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 10:05am On Jun 06, 2016
When it comes to construction projects, all too often people start out with pretty cool 3D drawings and end up with shouting matches or - worse - avoidable lawsuits.

Project may be done in wood, steel and even concrete. But a “minor” mistake, like simple omission of important structural member, can turn it into a big crack or failure of some part of not all of the building - or lead to million-naira repair.

Everybody! Yes! Me, you, the government, the authorities and regulatory bodies, the professional bodies, and everybody has a fair share in this blame.

The Developers: whose primary duty is to engage certified professionals as consultants but failed to do so largely due to an unhealthy profit motivation.

Consultants: the so-called professionals/consultants whose duty is to advise their client on the various aspects of the project and to ensure that due process is followed during the entire project cycle but have failed to honestly advise clients on the pitfalls of shortcuts.

Government: through regulatory bodies charged with the duty of enforcing by-laws and ensuring that any development meets regulatory building standards. Weak technical capacity in local authorities; problems in the development approval process; corruption are all to blame for the problems we experience.

Contractor: who are expected to have the capacity and competence to undertake the specific tasks for the specified scope of works.

Clients: Yes, YOU! For aiding and abetting through wrong selection. You can't claim ignorance!

Manufacturers Association: For producing substandard building materials in order to stay afloat in ever competitive market. You know people prefer cheap and quantity over quality.

Who do you think should be blamed for this problem? Your inputs will be highly appreciated.

Recent study conducted have revealed that unqualified people carry out more than 70 percent of the development-related activities in Nigeria.

At the end of this discussion, we should be able to come up with solutions construction challenges and how to address them.

2 Likes

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 7:54pm On Jun 06, 2016
Construction Problem/Building Failure caused by:

- nature, weather condition or unforeseen events
- soil conditions (due to lack of soil test/investigation)
- change of plan/design (due to lack of proper planning during design stage)
- delayed order which put contractors or sub-contractors behind target
- lack of an effective project manager (someone to keep everything happening, in the right order)

Culpable: Project Manger, Client

How?

- Choosing to build in the rainy season could cause serious delay/setback to the project due to incessant and unexpected rain. A good project manager should know when best to build a house and plan the project accordingly.
Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 8:38pm On Jun 06, 2016
Building plans changed without owner's consent.

Culpable: Contractor, Builder, Architect, Supervising Consultants, Building Control Agency
Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 3:33am On Jun 07, 2016
Low quality of workmanship (including incorrect measurements, specifications, etc)

Culpable: Project Managers, Builders, Regulatory Bodies (for not paying close attention to what's happening in the building industry), Contractors (greedy ones), Consultants (chasing money instead of standards), Architects (not following up on construction), Clients (trying to save up cost at every stage of work by doing things the other way round).

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 3:52am On Jun 07, 2016
Reduction in level of detail

Nowadays, architects, engineers, consultants and designers are increasingly providing a reduced level of design detail in their drawings and relying on skilled contractors to provide a level of finishing design in order to achieve the key design objectives.

It is only in Nigeria that a skilled contractor takes the whole blame. One could only wonder what the professional bodies were doing to preach standards and conformity/strict adherence to it.

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 4:03am On Jun 07, 2016
Why not substitute materials and equipment?

Today, there's an increase in the availability of cheaper (equivalent or knockoffs) products from lower cost overseas countries, and so the building professionals are increasingly challenged regarding their recommended product selection.

Everyone want it produced at a very CHEAP price.

Although, the use of cheaper products is meant to benefit the client and the greedy contractor (by maximizing profits), it is not always the correct long-term decision for the life of the building.

Many of this substitutes materials and construction practices have led to many ongoing issues, reduced life and increased failures in our building.

Examples include doors/window material selection, piping systems, concrete mix method, shuttering system, roofing material guage, finishes, and many more.

We often compromise on efficient methods and products that are based on industry standard for cheaper alternatives.

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 4:04am On Jun 07, 2016
Remember that you can always replace a door or put new tiles in your house but you can NOT change the structure/foundation of your home; make a wise decision…

1 Like

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 4:26am On Jun 07, 2016
Good standard of workmanship

Do we even have a standard here in Nigeria? What I'm familiar with even with the educated pros is "Egun standard", "Ilu Oke standard", "Ghananians." There's barely no acceptable building workmanship standard in this part of the world, everything seems to be good with everyone.

The contractor and the DIY clients has always argued that this is the way they always install, and that no other consultant has disputed this item of work in all of their previous build.

The major architect of this problem is the government. How? With the loss of the government agencies providing an industry benchmark for acceptable quality of works, I believe the level of quality has been allowed to slip to levels where it is now creating significant problems in the building industry.

So, if you ask me "Who is to blame for major construction failures and building collapse happening every now and then in our states?" I'll simply ask you to hold the government responsible for all the challenges.

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 4:35am On Jun 07, 2016
Restrictive/Outdated Building Codes

This another often overlooked problem of construction industry in Nigeria.

We need new and fresh ideas, new building codes, design standards and more.

Culpable: Government, Regulatory Bodies
Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by kingphilip(m): 6:50am On Jun 07, 2016
You de ask and you've answered all

I collaborate with all you've mentioned because virtually everyone is to be blamed from the site owner to the builders to the government to the engineers to the everybody involved directly and indirectly in the building from the planning process to the completion process

Good morning Nigeria
Good morning Nigerians
Good morning Nairalanders
May we all never have the privilege of been in a building when the collapse wants to occur.. Click like if you agree

2 Likes

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by teepsee(f): 6:50am On Jun 07, 2016
If you had the project manager in your list I would have said he is to be held responsible, but it's obvious you don't even know their work or you feel they are not relevant. So to your list, I will go for the contractor and the consultant.

On the other side of the news please who is in kano. I want to visit someone there but has nobody to accommodate me. Please any help from someone will be highly welcomed

1 Like

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by Resilence(m): 6:51am On Jun 07, 2016
who else but bubu...
Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by segcymoor(m): 6:57am On Jun 07, 2016
If you asked me...?

---------
Na who I go ask?
Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by IamPatriotic(m): 6:58am On Jun 07, 2016
blame the building engineer for professional negligence.
Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by Praktikals(m): 6:58am On Jun 07, 2016
Village people tongue
Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by Nobody: 7:00am On Jun 07, 2016
nice one.

depends on the cause of the collapse.

most often, the blame is almost always with client/developer, the contractor and the engineer.

I'm not trying to absolve the architect here. if the building looked ugly after construction or poorly finished, then I would substitute the engineer in the above blame list with the architect.

But all in all, in Nigeria, the client/developer are mostly culpable.

they want what they want no matter what you tell them. and if you refuse, they go to someone else who would do it for them.

oh and I forgot to include the government in the blame list.

their oversight function is non existent in this part of the world.

not until the building collapses.

1 Like

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 7:06am On Jun 07, 2016
Design Time and Cowboy Designers

Over the years, the push for quick designs and shorter training program for CAD Drafting, Modelling and Designs has made many Cowboys designers to make their way into the construction industry.

The introduction of 2D CAD drafting, 3D modelling, computational design software, digital photography and other technology related tools reduced the time required to produce design and documentation. Now, the industry seeks lower cost and shorter delivery times in a sector where functionality and quality is demanded.

Who's To Blame? The Regulatory Bodies, The Government

1 Share

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by opalu: 7:07am On Jun 07, 2016
I am more comfortable looking for CAUSES rather than BLAMES. Because in most cases, those blamed are not responsible for the causes.

After taking a deep thought on most building collapse cases in Nigeria in recent years, I have ascertained and verified that the No1 Cause of Building collapse is GREED. No2 is NEGLIGENCE and No3: INCOMPETENCE.

GREED:
When the Client wants to build 3 storey structure on piles at Ifako with just 20M and he neglects those contractors who charged above N50m to choose one who quoted N19.5M. It's called greed. When the Contractor kicks out an artisan that charged 300k for casting to engage one that charged 100k, Greed. When you price down the quote to a level that the labour fees become peanuts, it attract only monkeys. Greed. When a developer sandfills the site this month and he insists that you start construction next month or 'I get another COREN Engineer to do it". It is called GREED. When a client who knows your reputation on Nairaland and in the industry withholds your outstanding payments and threatens to blackmail you if you do not stick to former quotes given before increase of fuel price, that is greed mixed with wickedness. undecided

NEGLIGENCE:
Negligence is when apprentices from China will come to Nigeria as Experts and the professional bodies lack a Dora Akunyili and a Nuhu Ribadu who could make those dormant and toothless Bodies into Bull dogs to catch auch imported Quacks.
Negligence is when a client pays astronomical attention to plastering and does not give a damn whatever rubbish went into the concrete.
Negligence is when a Professional gets a huge contract and sends artisans to oversee what only he should check. Negligence is when people don't focus on the standards of materials but focus on only the prices. Etc

INCOMPETENCE :
When you give your job to someone who knows no jack about that type of work. In the hospital, you don't give an Ear infection to a Dentist to treat, also you don't give a brain surgery to a gynaecologist to treat. Because a gyna is incompetent to handle brain issues. And vice versa. It is inside Construction industry we see grandmothers of clients who claim they are experts since their husbands built house when they were in their twenties. It is in our own industry that everyone who can read and write is called an Engineer. Yet when buildings collapses, several people die at once and many are maimed for life. Everyone start to order you around as soon as they transfer a miserable 5mill into your account.
That is why I am so glad I decided to change from a contractor to a developer who also handles bridge and waterworks projects. Because on that frequencies hardly can you see the mix multitudes trying to tell you what they no nothing about.

3 Likes

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by dannyben5: 7:20am On Jun 07, 2016
Me,for not calling me before they start building

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by CharliParker: 7:20am On Jun 07, 2016
I will blame the contractor
Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 7:22am On Jun 07, 2016
CharliParker:
I will blame the contractor

Reasons?

1 Like

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by segcymoor(m): 7:29am On Jun 07, 2016
n3xt:
Design Time and Cowboy Designers

Over the years, the push for quick designs and shorter training program for CAD Drafting, Modelling and Designs has made many Cowboys designers to make their way into the construction industry.

The introduction of 2D CAD drafting, 3D modelling, computational design software, digital photography and other technology related tools reduced the time required to produce design and documentation. Now, the industry seeks lower cost and shorter delivery times in a sector where functionality and quality is demanded.

Who's To Blame? The Regulatory Bodies, The Government
Hmnn .wetin concern skill in AutoCAD to building collapse?

With proficiency in AutoCAD ...a good architect or engr may understand construction better

1 Like

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by martineverest(m): 7:31am On Jun 07, 2016
Contractors/structural engineers
Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 7:37am On Jun 07, 2016
martineverest:
Contractors/structural engineers

Kindly put your reasons.
Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by tlops(m): 7:38am On Jun 07, 2016
All of d above!

1 Like

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 7:39am On Jun 07, 2016
tlops:
All of d above!

Everybody has a fair share of the blame. Nice one.
Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by hisgrace090: 7:41am On Jun 07, 2016
Blame over sabi and poverty among our people.

1 Like

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by n3xt(m): 7:48am On Jun 07, 2016
Absence of Work Supervisors

In the past, the inclusion of a dedicated building services works supervisor (employed separately by the client) to coordinate different trades/workmen was a common practice with the bigger contractors. Some still do it till date.
But, this is no longer the case for the majority of projects, and even more complicated projects. The urge to save every kobo has made inclusion of suitably experienced engineering services supervisors a challenge.

This often lead to issues in coordination of works and a reduction in quality of installations.

Who's Culpable? - The Client, The Developers

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by einsteino(m): 8:00am On Jun 07, 2016
It isnt always construction failures. Laymen tend to blame collapse on construction failure and use of poor quality materials. But we civil engineers know that most building collapse is as a result of lack of soil test data, no prior structural analysis and design done by a competent structural engr.

Ours is a country where we praise people who build blindly in the fraud of building by experience. Structural design prescibes the medicine needed to cure the disease of structural failure in the life span of the structure , this prescription states the exact size and arrangement of structural members, the grade of construction materials for the computed forces, bending and torsional moments the structure would undergo in its design life. The prescription is usually the most economic and safest solution and is contained in a document known as structural detailed drawing. It is with this document that the site engr is supposed to construct the building, any deviation without a written approval of the design engr makes the site engr culpable in the event of a structural failure. At least that is what is obtainable in saner climes but in ours you hear such rubbish like "na so we take build the other one and e dey stand" This is rubbish because no two structures are the same except they are an exact replica, sometimes a smaller structure is even more critical than a large one. Overseas buildings of over 100yrs old are still standing. It is embarrassing when nations build a hundred storey structure without any sad tale meanwhile in our nation a single storey building collapses, it makes us look like we are a joke.

So if you ask me to rank the causes of building collapse, i would say

1, Absence of soil test data and prior structural design.
2. Lack of regulation and on ground supervision by COREN. COREN is abt the most toothless dog i know
3. Quackery or absence of a civil engr on project(most folks who parade themselves as engrs are not engrs, let alone civil engrs)
4. Deliberate use of poor quality materials inorder to make astronomical gains.
5. Incompetence(a good number of engrs are incompetent)
6. Hijacking of engineering projects by politicians, if you have worked in one of such you would know these guys dont care about doing things the right way.
7. Civil engineering is academically tasking and the real reading starts when you start practicing, unfortunately the pay isnt commiserate unless you are self employed. Even worst the society doesnt appreciate competence, often times we want competence and ridiculously cheap service, something only a quack can offer. Moreso, a good number of engrs were mentored by quacks and dont improve themselves or read, so the nations engineering capacity is largely a joke.

My advice to civil engr undergrads is dont fall for the lie that all those equations and theories you are being taught in school are meaningless and have no real life application. Every single one of them matters. When you graduate, you would wish you had known better, depending on if you are lucky to practice true engineering. Moreso work hard to bridge the gap between theories and preal life applications. We need you to, it is a mess out here. We need more competent engrs to help redeem the engineering sector.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Building Collapse, Construction Failures - Who's To Blame? by Blizzy9ja: 8:01am On Jun 07, 2016
The client that has refuse to take professional advice and would rather prefer who offer to do the job at a cheaper rate

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Much Does It Cost To Construct A Km Asphalt Road Without No Drainage ? / Where Can We Get Good Interior Furniture. Living Room, Dining Room Set Etc / 8 Tricks Of Workmen And Suppliers On Construction Sites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.