Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) (15755 Views)

Bundles Of Money On The Road In Owerri As They Fall Out Of A Bullion Van / Benin Residents Keep Vigil In Banks To Use Atms / Dollar Scarcity: Parents Of Overseas Students Weep In Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by butanep(m): 11:43pm On Jun 06, 2016
God save us from this economic recession.

Let those who have money now start investing into something profitable.
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by olajide8(m): 11:48pm On Jun 06, 2016
Nigeria is so corrupt that even when a government is trying to do things right- the economy would automatically go into recession* infact corruption is a human being with a family in nigeria* most nigerians have married the beautiful daughters of corruption, because she "set, die" easy way- easy money, my uncle knows someone and voila you get a job - forgetting others have been applying for years before! It's everywhere bombing of pipelines etc ha I just tire for nigerians

3 Likes

Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by Innomach(m): 12:56am On Jun 07, 2016
gabicon:
when we have institutions being run on the pillar of corruption the present predicament is its result. PMB has reduced the rate at which politicians steal money, the banks have been dependent for long on these illegal monies, once they don't come difficulty begins, all men are guarding their bounty jealousy, sexy marketer not working again . this is a classic case of systematic corruption fighting back, our banks need to go back to professionalism. PMB needs to step up his game by initiating a sound economic revival policy, I pray God gives him wisdom.
Please stop selling dummies. No one is willing to buy anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by Gkemz: 1:14am On Jun 07, 2016
Courtesy of Buhari's poor economic policies.
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by shamecurls(m): 3:05am On Jun 07, 2016
gabicon:
when we have institutions being run on the pillar of corruption the present predicament is its result. PMB has reduced the rate at which politicians steal money, the banks have been dependent for long on these illegal monies, once they don't come difficulty begins, all men are guarding their bounty jealousy, sexy marketer not working again . this is a classic case of systematic corruption fighting back, our banks need to go back to professionalism. PMB needs to step up his game by initiating a sound economic revival policy, I pray God gives him wisdom.

You're the most brilliant chap on this thread.

Your reasoning is outstanding and devoid of hate.
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by deenee: 4:35am On Jun 07, 2016
People still fail to understand that PMB is not the reason for the recession that we are facing.

The trade deficit is as a result of several factors namely we are basically an import crazy nation of people who import every thing that we consume even basic essentials. Secondly the revenue from oil that would have created a buffer for the deficit is also seriously under threat from volatile oil prices and the evasive militants in the Niger Delta region.

The implementation of TSA is a one of the great things to happen to the banking industry as now banks will no longer depend on government funds but rather be compelled to lend to the real sector. Also TSA has helped reduced corruption in some ministries and govt agencies. Before TSA some govt agencies had over 300 accounts in various banks and could not even keep track of thier money trail hence making very easy for funds to be siphoned.

Until we begin to reduce our dependence on import for basic consumables such as rice and even toothpick, diversify from over reliance on oil revenue and increase local production we will always continue to be in this problem.

Instead of coming here to blame PMB why not contribute our own quota. For me I consciously patronize made in Nigeria products now even for basic essentials that I use at home that way I am also helping some struggling business stay afloat.

I mean why should I go an buy a imported nivea body Cream for men when I can use pears baby lotion made in Nigeria? After all na lotion. Infact pears even has a better scent sef.

We need to drive the change we all want in our little space for things to really CHANGE in this country.

Taxation is also an area why people need to change. How many small and even big business pay correct taxes to the govt. The UK depends soley on tax as a source of revenue.

I think I an starting to deviate from the topic. My empathy for those who has lost their jobs and God bless Nigeria.
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by Ugoeze2016: 4:38am On Jun 07, 2016
God will help us.

Did you visit zokija yet, do you know that Shell is hiring? Yes they are. In fact check my signature for more information.
Thank me later with big cheque ooooo grin
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by gbagyiza: 6:10am On Jun 07, 2016
ubaobi:

I tire onto... Job losses have been occurring on a large scale in other sectors since the third quarter of last year. It's not just banks, the Nigerian economy is sitting on a time bomb.

We r finished
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by Greatidonis: 6:17am On Jun 07, 2016
Not only banks...there is so much hype around the potential/actual impact of the recession on banks as if other sectors are immune

]Very true^^^^^
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by oloriooko(m): 6:41am On Jun 07, 2016
kayfra:

We fail to acknowledge the extent to which corruption actually runs our economy.

Are you listening to yourself at all?
Now you are done blaming GEJ now its corruption cheesy
Can't you see that you are being used by these useless politicians? They promised you heaven and earth before the election and begged for your vote now that they are in power they tell you the country is unfixable and you believe them? Who is the mumu now?
If they know they cannot fix the nation then they should gerrout!

3 Likes

Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by Nobody: 6:47am On Jun 07, 2016
gabicon:

In Nigeria, our problem is unintended consequences

The economic downturn is an unintentional effect of PMB many wrong decisions while trying to fight corruption. It is either the people paid to think about this effect didn't do their job or PMB didn't listen to them

There was a time in the US 2007 - 2008 when corruption created a recession. The new president, Obama did not come with draconian policies to kill all the banks. He gave them bailout because he knew they were the lifewire for the economy.

The TSA is a great policy but it was implemented at the worst possible time. It should have been implemented in phases. Government having multiple accounts is not wrong. In the west, it is encouraged

The clamour for change made PMB enforce it without thinking through the possible fallouts on banks

By the way... this recession is not caused by NDA..

The pipelines wahala started second quarter. Banks have started struggling since last year. In fact they have started negotiation with Labour to downsize much earlier. Payments of crude oil sales are done much later, up to 4 months in some cases. The drop in earnings will start this month end. That is when the real reccession will start.

Let us not start twisting history to save buharis name. His style of government has always yielded this result. That is why smart investors pulled out of Nigeria after they gave him a month to see if he had really changed

3 Likes

Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by imakewealth: 6:48am On Jun 07, 2016
Emekamex:
Massive corruption in the banking sector has made our banks lazy and lose the primary focus of banking which is intense marketing and proper investments. It is time for our banks to restrategize and return to main focus of banking.
I beg to disagree Sir. In developed world there is nothing like intense marketing. People dnt go out begging customers for deposits and to take loan. Thus you can't say that's the main focus of banking.
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by Deepfreezer(m): 6:50am On Jun 07, 2016
The Economy is rapidly nose diving. News making the rounds this morning is that Buhari will extend the 10days holiday /treatment. There is something they are not telling us.
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by waice6571: 7:03am On Jun 07, 2016
onatisi:
The president is deaf
The president is an illiterate
The president is over 74 years old
The president is sick

What the hell were Nigerians thinking when they voted buhari into power and expected him to change an economy in this modern time
They just gave buhari access to presidential medical facilities for the next 4 years.

I admire few people on this land! glad to tell you are one of the chosen few.
Soon you'll be invited for an award nite cum dinner.

cheers.....

1 Like

Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by obi58: 7:12am On Jun 07, 2016
Emekamex:
Massive corruption in the banking sector has made our banks lazy and lose the primary focus of banking which is intense marketing and proper investments. It is time for our banks to restrategize and return to main focus of banking.

Olodo! What do you know about banking?

Banks are shrinking because of the implementation of the TSA which is starving them of the much needed liquidity for doing business. As a result, lending rates have gone up making it more expensive to borrow for business
That combined with the fx imbroglio which has made foreign trade (eg fuel importation) more difficult for banks has severely shrunk their income lines. Add to that another crazy government policy to totally eliminate commission on turnover COT have led banks into this precarious situation.

1 Like

Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by obi58: 7:18am On Jun 07, 2016
deenee:
People still fail to understand that PMB is not the reason for the recession that we are facing.

The trade deficit is as a result of several factors namely we are basically an import crazy nation of people who import every thing that we consume even basic essentials. Secondly the revenue from oil that would have created a buffer for the deficit is also seriously under threat from volatile oil prices and the evasive militants in the Niger Delta region.

The implementation of TSA is a one of the great things to happen to the banking industry as now banks will no longer depend on government funds but rather be compelled to lend to the real sector. Also TSA has helped reduced corruption in some ministries and govt agencies. Before TSA some govt agencies had over 300 accounts in various banks and could not even keep track of thier money trail hence making very easy for funds to be siphoned.

Until we begin to reduce our dependence on import for basic consumables such as rice and even toothpick, diversify from over reliance on oil revenue and increase local production we will always continue to be in this problem.

Instead of coming here to blame PMB why not contribute our own quota. For me I consciously patronize made in Nigeria products now even for basic essentials that I use at home that way I am also helping some struggling business stay afloat.

I mean why should I go an buy a imported nivea body Cream for men when I can use pears baby lotion made in Nigeria? After all na lotion. Infact pears even has a better scent sef.

We need to drive the change we all want in our little space for things to really CHANGE in this country.

Taxation is also an area why people need to change. How many small and even big business pay correct taxes to the govt. The UK depends soley on tax as a source of revenue.

I think I an starting to deviate from the topic. My empathy for those who has lost their jobs and God bless Nigeria.

Master simple question....if you starve banks of float from idle funds now moved to TSA. Where do they now get the needed liquidity to lend to the real sector
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by onatisi(m): 7:21am On Jun 07, 2016
Deepfreezer:
The Economy is rapidly nose diving. News making the rounds this morning is that Buhari will extend the 10days holiday /treatment. There is something they are not telling us.

https://www.nairaland.com/2157329/governor-fayose-accuses-buhari-embarking

https://www.nairaland.com/2184527/buhari-vindicated-me-governor-fayose#31406516

https://www.nairaland.com/2159197/fayose-describes-u-k-hospital
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by waice6571: 7:44am On Jun 07, 2016
I keep saying it.

It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in (Buhari) man.

In a time like this, only if Nigerians can go back to God and seek forgiveness for the sin rebellion and turn to him wholeheartedly, he will turn to us again and heal our land.

Let us stop all this buhari will do this and that. We all can see that, this man is old and incapacitated, he lack basic economic understanding. He is willing to do good, but evils are the outcome of his good intentions.

If you are wise turn to God now! ... shift your attention off this Fathers' of lies and depend on God, he knows how fix you even in this harsh weather.
thanks
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by proeast(m): 7:47am On Jun 07, 2016
Nigeria is going down with each passing day & there seems to be no hope in site!
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by onatisi(m): 7:52am On Jun 07, 2016
waice6571:

I admire few people on this land! glad to tell you are one of the chosen few.
Soon you'll be invited for an award nite cum dinner.

cheers.....

God bless you bro,many of these ppl never knew buhari very well and only relied on the lies fed to them by tinubu and co. Nigerians elected a former dictator and yet expect him to be democratic Nigerians elected a president with the worst human right record and expects him to obey the rule of law Nigerians elected a president with no sound academic qualification or education and expected him to fashion out sound economic policies Nigerians elected a very old retired old man and expects him to be agile and fit like a 40years old man Nigerians elected a sick man as president but expects him to be healthy for office. How on earth do they expect him to be everything they want when he isn't any of it

1 Like

Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by 400billionman: 8:22am On Jun 07, 2016
plaetton:

Corruption, though an aberration, has always been with us. Though it primarily responsible for our perennial underdevelopement, it is not the current driver for our economic Flatline.

It is the sheer ignorance, reckless bravado and incompetence of our new sheriff that puts us in this very hopeless economic situation.

The TSA implementation will go down in history as the single most stuuuupid policy ever implementated in the entire world.

The TSA is good but its implementation should have been staggered over a few years. Our govt acts on impulse.

Public sector deposits account for almost 50% of all bank deposits.

1 Like

Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by Ezionye(f): 9:59am On Jun 07, 2016
Jacko01:
Firstbank una no fit sack me
No try am
Il just carry my talent to diamond bank along with my clientele base hehe

Name, Staff no and Clientele base please?
We may just reconsider

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by deenee: 10:02am On Jun 07, 2016
obi58:

Master simple question....if you starve banks of float from idle funds now moved to TSA. Where do they now get the needed liquidity to lend to the real sector

Banks should not have depended on public sector funds in the first place. Tell me which bank abroad depends on public sector funds for liquidity. The government only steps in through their regulatory agencies as a last resort and usually if there is a crisis. Prior to the implementation of TSA, banks were awash with public sector funds and govt would be borrowing from banks at double digit interest rate. This is one of the reasons why most bank before now felt very comfortable lending to states and MDAs instead of the real sector.

And just to correct a misconception, Pls, find out how much was moved from to TSA as a percentage of deposit base of banks in the industry and you will see that TSA implementation is not the reason for massive redundancies in the banking industry. In fact the trio of FBN Zenith and GTB alone had total asset base of about 11 trillion and just about 3 trillion was moved to TSA.

The basic truth is that most banks are running an unsustainable business model and are exposed to the oil and gas sector and unfortunately that sector is not doing very well at the moment. In banking there is what is known as mismatch of funds. Banks have short term deposit liabilities and have created long risk asset from such deposits and unfortunately the risk assets are not paying back as expected. FBN alone in 2015 wrote off over N120b non-performing loans due to exposures to oil and gas deals. The irony is that more will still come as most banks have basically restructured now to avoid capital provisioning for these sticky loans. FBN has decided to provision now because of their huge balance sheet hence they can absorb the systemic shock

The way forward for banks is to take financial inclusion seriously and make banking products and services accessible to everybody as it obtains in developed nations. Right now it’s is still relatively hard for a common man on the street to work into a bank and open an account. Retail banking is the way to go now in banking, currently there are about 45% of the Nigerian populace still unbanked (i.e people that don’t have any bank account) and over 75% are underbanked (i.e people that don’t make maximum use of banking products and services). Potentially this amount to about 3.5trillion naira outside the banking system.

I recall some time last year a friend came in from abroad for the yuletide season and needed to change about 5k USD and I took him to a Mallam somewhere in Victoria Island. The mallam simply made a few calls and in 5mins some came to us with about 1.5m. Just out of curiosity I asked why he didn’t take us to the bank to consummate the transaction and the mallam boastfully said that even if we want to change N200m naira he can raise the cash in 30mins without stepping into a bank. Now amplify this to other sectors to include market women, traders, other BDC operators and more that don’t use banking services and you will agree with me that there is a huge untapped potential in this space. Simply relying on public sector deposits to fund bank liquidity is a huge NO NO and because of concentration risk.

I await the day a Nigerian citizen will be able to walk into a Nigerian bank with no connection in high places, no “man know man” mentality and just a brilliant business idea documented in a business plan and have the highest assurances of securing a loan from the bank to fund the implementation of such idea.
Nigeria is a funny country. All of a sudden the country is slipping into recession just because there is a clamor for things to be done the right way
God bless Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by oshiokpu(m): 11:29am On Jun 07, 2016
Sad.but we need to start becoming responsible for our selves...If you have a business and needs more working capital, check my signature.
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by mrteee: 11:38am On Jun 07, 2016
onatisi:
The president is deaf
The president is an illiterate
The president is over 74 years old
The president is sick

What the hell were Nigerians thinking when they voted buhari into power and expected him to change an economy in this modern time
They just gave buhari access to presidential medical facilities for the next 4 years.

I agree with you. Choosing between a man with the defects you listed above and an incredibly ineffectual buffoon who barely merited the post of a ward councillor was not too hard to guess where the pendulum would swing. Nigerians were left with little choice.
However, prepare for 2019. Keep your PVC safe and promote, or better still, be a better candidate.
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by Objektive: 11:51am On Jun 07, 2016
THIS IS UNCOMMON WISDOM.................................PLAETTON ARE YOU AN ECONOMIST?

THE SAME THING SANUSI DID MANY YEARS AGO AND THEY WERE CLAPPING FOR HIM........WHEN SOLUDO WAS EASING THE PRESSURE GRADUALLY. MORE THAN 50,000 JOBS WERE LOST THEN.

THIS ACTION BY THE BUHARI ADMINISTRATION IS THE HEIGHT OF RECKLESSNESS

plaetton:

Corruption, though an aberration, has always been with us. Though it primarily responsible for our perennial underdevelopement, it is not the current driver for our economic Flatline.

It is the sheer ignorance, reckless bravado and incompetence of our new sheriff that puts us in this very hopeless economic situation.

The TSA implementation will go down in history as the single most stuuuupid policy ever implementated in the entire world.
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jun 07, 2016
This is very well educating. Please I will like you to respond to my mail.

deenee:

Banks should not have depended on public sector funds in the first place. Tell me which bank abroad depends on public sector funds for liquidity. The government only steps in through their regulatory agencies as a last resort and usually if there is a crisis. Prior to the implementation of TSA, banks were awash with public sector funds and govt would be borrowing from banks at double digit interest rate. This is one of the reasons why most bank before now felt very comfortable lending to states and MDAs instead of the real sector.

And just to correct a misconception, Pls, find out how much was moved from to TSA as a percentage of deposit base of banks in the industry and you will see that TSA implementation is not the reason for massive redundancies in the banking industry. In fact the trio of FBN Zenith and GTB alone had total asset base of about 11 trillion and just about 3 trillion was moved to TSA.

The basic truth is that most banks are running an unsustainable business model and are exposed to the oil and gas sector and unfortunately that sector is not doing very well at the moment. In banking there is what is known as mismatch of funds. Banks have short term deposit liabilities and have created long risk asset from such deposits and unfortunately the risk assets are not paying back as expected. FBN alone in 2015 wrote off over N120b non-performing loans due to exposures to oil and gas deals. The irony is that more will still come as most banks have basically restructured now to avoid capital provisioning for these sticky loans. FBN has decided to provision now because of their huge balance sheet hence they can absorb the systemic shock

The way forward for banks is to take financial inclusion seriously and make banking products and services accessible to everybody as it obtains in developed nations. Right now it’s is still relatively hard for a common man on the street to work into a bank and open an account. Retail banking is the way to go now in banking, currently there are about 45% of the Nigerian populace still unbanked (i.e people that don’t have any bank account) and over 75% are underbanked (i.e people that don’t make maximum use of banking products and services). Potentially this amount to about 3.5trillion naira outside the banking system.

I recall some time last year a friend came in from abroad for the yuletide season and needed to change about 5k USD and I took him to a Mallam somewhere in Victoria Island. The mallam simply made a few calls and in 5mins some came to us with about 1.5m. Just out of curiosity I asked why he didn’t take us to the bank to consummate the transaction and the mallam boastfully said that even if we want to change N200m naira he can raise the cash in 30mins without stepping into a bank. Now amplify this to other sectors to include market women, traders, other BDC operators and more that don’t use banking services and you will agree with me that there is a huge untapped potential in this space. Simply relying on public sector deposits to fund bank liquidity is a huge NO NO and because of concentration risk.

I await the day a Nigerian citizen will be able to walk into a Nigerian bank with no connection in high places, no “man know man” mentality and just a brilliant business idea documented in a business plan and have the highest assurances of securing a loan from the bank to fund the implementation of such idea.
Nigeria is a funny country. All of a sudden the country is slipping into recession just because there is a clamor for things to be done the right way
God bless Nigeria!
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by jpphilips(m): 3:43pm On Jun 07, 2016
plaetton:
Thanks to Buhari' s much trumpeted TSA implementation.

https://www.nairaland.com/3130801/tsa-how-buhari-nuked-nigerian

Only criminals wouldn't want TSA implementation

1 Like

Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by onyeomanono24(f): 3:55pm On Jun 07, 2016
I know wise bankers will now go and apply for loan - Best bet (If granted) for main staff.
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by plaetton: 3:58pm On Jun 07, 2016
jpphilips:

Only criminals wouldn't want TSA implementation

Kindly explain your position.
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by jpphilips(m): 4:00pm On Jun 07, 2016
obi58:

So you advise public sector funds that banks never lent to a single entrepreneur but investing in zero risk Treasury bills? how is that wisdom? because of Govt funds in the banks, they will never give good rates for fixed deposits, awoof money was the problem and incompetence, now it is time to use intelligence and strategies and they are blaming their workers for incompetence?
How did they get the workers in the first place? Has any staff ever developed a big business from scratch if not through paddy paddy man know man?
When was the last time you received a savings account interest in Nigeria, ie if they don't collect it back from unsolicited alerts and what have you. Those were the things that encouraged customers to bank and maintain Idle funds, it got to a time where Nigerians refused to keep money in the banks, is that how to live? how can a business grow that way?
If you keep money in your bank account and travel for five years, you return to nothing, nothing added but so much lost, how can that insane strategy fetch you idle funds?

To answer your question, Nigerian banks have no strategy to attract idle funds, you can not offer your customer a 4.5% P.A fixed deposit rate when TB is 12% P.A, only an insane man will oblige you.
You can not charge idle funds and expect the owner not to take it, I abandoned my Intercontinental account when they transited to Acces bank, I think about 5yrs ago with a 25k balance, never went there again till date.
Last week someone called me from the bank, I have even forgotten about the account that I should re activate it after being dormant for a while, I simply told the person that if the interest on the 25k has appreciated by 2%, i will be encouraged, guess how much was the balance, -6,853naira.

I just smiled and asked for the statement as a condition for re activating the account and it is going to be free, she agreed and sent it to my email, guess what, the charges were outrageous, a savings account was charged for monthly statements even when the account was dormant, sms alert monthly twice, ATM renewal charges for a dormant account and a host of rubbish, how do you expect to attract idle funds with such strategy.

According to the news we just read, FBN is writing off over 120b naira in bad loans, that was almost their annual profit for last year, tell me, which company in the world throws away their annual profit and retains the same management?
I may have mixed it up but I can tell you from experience that an average Nigerian bank have no strategy for attracting idle funds,

Lastly, while the Govt funds was there, why have they not been able to raise their own funds? How can a bank be relying solely on govt funds are you kidding me, how do companies survive? how do we meet our clientele obligations and stay afloat?
How many companies have access to govt funds is it because they are banks? Are you saying that if my company has access to such funds I won't double my capacity over time?
Re: Trade Deficit: More Job Loss Likely In Banks (Fall Out Of Nda's Vandalism) by deenee: 5:10pm On Jun 07, 2016
jpphilips:

So you advise public sector funds that banks never lent to a single entrepreneur but investing in zero risk Treasury bills? how is that wisdom? because of Govt funds in the banks, they will never give good rates for fixed deposits, awoof money was the problem and incompetence, now it is time to use intelligence and strategies and they are blaming their workers for incompetence?
How did they get the workers in the first place? Has any staff ever developed a big business from scratch if not through paddy paddy man know man?
When was the last time you received a savings account interest in Nigeria, ie if they don't collect it back from unsolicited alerts and what have you. Those were the things that encouraged customers to bank and maintain Idle funds, it got to a time where Nigerians refused to keep money in the banks, is that how to live? how can a business grow that way?
If you keep money in your bank account and travel for five years, you return to nothing, nothing added but so much lost, how can that insane strategy fetch you idle funds?

To answer your question, Nigerian banks have no strategy to attract idle funds, you can not offer your customer a 4.5% P.A fixed deposit rate when TB is 12% P.A, only an insane man will oblige you.
You can not charge idle funds and expect the owner not to take it, I abandoned my Intercontinental account when they transited to Acces bank, I think about 5yrs ago with a 25k balance, never went there again till date.
Last week someone called me from the bank, I have even forgotten about the account that I should re activate it after being dormant for a while, I simply told the person that if the interest on the 25k has appreciated by 2%, i will be encouraged, guess how much was the balance, -6,853naira.

I just smiled and asked for the statement as a condition for re activating the account and it is going to be free, she agreed and sent it to my email, guess what, the charges were outrageous, a savings account was charged for monthly statements even when the account was dormant, sms alert monthly twice, ATM renewal charges for a dormant account and a host of rubbish, how do you expect to attract idle funds with such strategy.

According to the news we just read, FBN is writing off over 120b naira in bad loans, that was almost their annual profit for last year, tell me, which company in the world throws away their annual profit and retains the same management?
I may have mixed it up but I can tell you from experience that an average Nigerian bank have no strategy for attracting idle funds,

Lastly, while the Govt funds was there, why have they not been able to raise their own funds? How can a bank be relying solely on govt funds are you kidding me, how do companies survive? how do we meet our clientele obligations and stay afloat?
How many companies have access to govt funds is it because they are banks? Are you saying that if my company has access to such funds I won't double my capacity over time?

Bro I will respond to your assertions one by one

First and foremost FBN has changed their management. Infact they were smart enough to change the entire exec mgt staff when it became apparent that most of their exposure to oil and gas deals were becoming sticky. The former MD was asked to resign in 5ec 2015 and they have also made some material changes to their holding structure management and board. It is this proactive action that practically gave them a soft landing during the last AGM in addition to the fact that they were able to still pay out some small dividend from thier retained earnings from prior years. I will suggest that you browse the Internet to get more info on this.

Secondly treasury bills are risk free instruments and basically should be at near zero or minimal coupon rate. It is only in Nigeria that treasury bills are sold at double digit rate because we normally do thing up side down. Now please explain to me how a bank will be able to lend to an entrepreneur who is seen as high risk at single digit when they can simply invest in Tbills and earn free cash.

Govt on the other hand and prior to now has always been issuing Tbills to banks to raise short term cash through the debt mgt office whilst having free/idle cash sitting on banks.

Have you noticed that Tbill coupon rate has dropped drastically since TSA? You also seem to be contradicting yourself in one of your assertions. For sure if you run an account that has monthly maintenance charge the bank will take what is due to them whether you use the account or not.

You also cannot enjoy interest on saving if you typically run the account like a corporate account. I know that interest will only apply if you don't make any withdrawals on your savings and it is usually applied per quarter.

As I indicated in my earlier post no bank survives on public sector funds. It is cheap no doubt but very volatile. The way forward is to amass large volumes of idle funds from the private/retail sector.

I tried to read some of your comments but i can't comprehend the point you are trying to make.

I think you are mixing things up. Go and find out there is no bank in the world that has been able to grow sustainably by solely depending on govt funds. It is like the case of Nigeria depending on oil revenues only and we can see where that has got us as a country. Public sector funds are very volatile and cannot be used for long term financing which is what most businesses need for stable growth. It is also this over reliance on public sector funds that make it relatively difficult for banks to lend more than 5yrs fearing for change in govt.

I am willing to discuss this offline with you for more clarity as it seems that you have a tunnel vision view of the subject matter.

God bless Nigeria!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Notify Customers Before Debt Recovery Moves, CBN Tells Banks / How Good Is Phone Accessories Business In Nigeria? / Zenith Bank Statement On Fire Incident At Victoria Island Branch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.