Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,501 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven (3707 Views)

9 Facts About Heaven That Will Surprise You - Randy Alcorn / Shiites Give A Drawing Of Jesus To Christians In Bauchi To Promote Peace / Do You Have Any Questions About God , The Bible Or Christianity? Bring Them Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 11:57am On Jun 07, 2016
Heaven is said to be the goal of every theist. The final place of rest after doing God's will on earth. Although various religions have their own idea of heaven, I'll like this thread to be focused on just Christians and Muslims, because this is a Nigerian forum and these two religions are the major religions we have in Nigeria, and they both share similar ideologies as to the concept of heaven.

I will be posting these questions one after the other.

Cc

Kingebukasblog scholar8200 splinz analice107 juhan biafrabushboy uyilredia waldigit goosebaba amicable09
Temidayo9 tellemall

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 07, 2016
The question of sensory perception.

Sensory perception is the organization, identification, and interpretation of sensory information in order to represent and understand the environment. All perception involves signals in the nervous system, which in turn result from physical or chemical stimulation of the sense organs.
Christianity and Islam tell us that we have a soul, a non material aspect of ourselves, and that when we die, it's this soul that would transcend into heaven, as we leave our physical bodies behind.
We all know now that the brain is what controls sensory perception. All our five senses are linked to the brain. The sense of sight, touch, smell, taste and hearing. And we also agree that our brain is part of our physical bodies that we would leave behind. If this be the case, how then are we going to be able to experience sensory perception in heaven?

This question is really relevant because the description of heaven by the koran and bible thrives on the functionality of our senses organs.
The bible's description of heaven is as a place of beauty and magnificence, with golden streets and exotic mansions. The sense of sight has to be present for anyone to admire and appreciate this beauty. The koran talks about an endless pool of sex and wine. To enjoy wine, one's sense of taste and smell has to be functioning, and to enjoy sex, the pleasure receptors in the skin have to also be functioning. I am not even going to go into the need for a male and female appendage, which is also part of the physical body. So, if the brain and body isn't present, how then would the souls in heaven be able to partake of this glorious blissful experience?

Does a soul have a physical body? Does a soul have an anatomical and physiological make-up similar to that of the physical human body? If the answer to this question is No. Then it means we won't be conscious of ourselves, and hence, we can't understand and appreciate this sensually appealing description of heaven. If the answer to this question is yes, then my next questions are in line.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jun 07, 2016
The question of eternal happiness.

Both Christianity and Islam promise of eternal happiness. An infinite experience of bliss. Now my question is, how will this be possible?

I am going to divide this question into sub-questions.
Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 07, 2016
True Christianity does not teach the soul being a separate part of the body that survives death!

Anyways, this is going to be a nice thread
Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 07, 2016
1. How are the saints going to experience eternal happiness knowing that some of the people they love are in hell?

If while in heaven, our mechanism for sensual perception is properly functioning, it means that we are fully aware of ourselves, and not only that, we also possess what makes us who we are, including our memories. If this be the case, then how will we be happy knowing that some of our loved ones and friends are being tortured in hell? Won't this defeat the idea of eternal happiness?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jun 07, 2016
2. This question is for Christians.

The bible tells us that in heaven some people will have a reward greater than others, in form of mansions, according to the amount of souls won for christ. For this to be possible, it means that every saint will still possess the ability to understand the importance and quality of this reward. If not, then God would have given everyone equal numbers of mansions. So, if someone understands that someone else's reward is greater than his, won't this realization breed sadness and dissatisfaction? How about those who don't have any reward at all? Would they be happy seeing that some other saints have been greatly rewarded while they aren't?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jun 07, 2016
The subjectivity of happiness

3. The bible and koran creates a general description of heaven which would appeal to some but not to others. Our ideas of happiness are fundamentally subjective. A person's definition of happiness isn't the same as another person's idea of happiness. My idea of what would give me happiness, especially eternal happiness, is different from that of my brother or my best friend. The koran's definition of heaven is one with endless sex and drinking. The bible's is one with unimaginable physical beauty and eternal praise and glorification of God. Although these description may represent the idea of happiness for certain people, it definitely isn't for others. For some people, happiness isn't about sex or wine or praise or beauty or material possession. How then would these kind of people be happy for ever? Wouldn't heaven be more or less an eternal prison where they are forced to conform to things they'd rather not conform to?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jun 07, 2016
the Problem Is That Theist Refuse To Use their Brain If They do They Will Ask Questions More But No Its Blasphemy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 07, 2016
The question of Time.

All through the book of revelation, we see the bible prophesy about 7 years of tribulation and 1000 years of reigning with christ and various other emphasis on time. Now my question is this:

How would you be able to estimate days, weeks, months and years in heaven? On earth, we get our idea of day and night, and time in general, by the effects of the earth's rotation and revolution around the sun. So, how would you calculate 7 years when you are in heaven? Is heaven also a planet that orbits the sun?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:28pm On Jun 07, 2016
Decker:
1. How are the saints going to experience eternal happiness knowing that some of the people they love are in hell?

If while in heaven, our mechanism for sensual perception is properly functioning, it means that we are fully aware of ourselves, and not only that, we also possess what makes us who we are, including our memories. If this be the case, then how will we be happy knowing that some of our loved ones and friends are being tortured in hell? Won't this defeat the idea of eternal happiness?

Isaiah 65:17
17 “For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Scholar8200(m): 1:33pm On Jun 07, 2016
Op, ye know not the Scriptures neither the Power (may I add the Pleasure of His Presence) of God!

I would have left this thread alone so that you and your fellow Theophobes may have fun, but for your mentioning my username.
Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:38pm On Jun 07, 2016
Decker:

2. This question is for Christians.

The bible tells us that in heaven some people will have a reward greater than others, in form of mansions, according to the amount of souls won for christ. For this to be possible, it means that every saint will still possess the ability to understand the importance and quality of this reward. If not, then God would have given everyone equal numbers of mansions. So, if someone understands that someone else's reward is greater than his, won't this realization breed sadness and dissatisfaction? How about those who don't have any reward at all? Would they be happy seeing that some other saints have been greatly rewarded while they aren't?

You are looking at these things from an earthly perspective . These as you mention can elicit jealousy and God does not want that . Jealousy is an earthly disposition and when we are now in Heaven , the body our mind , thoughts are now transformed , there would no thought of sadness or jealousy . There is contentedness , joy , happiness . The glory of the Lord would coruscate through us - no form of ungodly thoughts can pervade our mind
Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:43pm On Jun 07, 2016
Decker:
The subjectivity of happiness

3. The bible and koran creates a general description of heaven which would appeal to some but not to others. Our ideas of happiness are fundamentally subjective. A person's definition of happiness isn't the same as another person's idea of happiness. My idea of what would give me happiness, especially eternal happiness, is different from that of my brother or my best friend. The koran's definition of heaven is one with endless sex and drinking. The bible's is one with unimaginable physical beauty and eternal praise and glorification of God. Although these description may represent the idea of happiness for certain people, it definitely isn't for others. For some people, happiness isn't about sex or wine or praise or beauty or material possession. How then would these kind of people be happy for ever? Wouldn't heaven be more or less an eternal prison where they are forced to conform to things they'd rather not conform to?

Like I said before , all these are our earthly behaviours . There will be a total transformation .
Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:44pm On Jun 07, 2016
Decker:
The question of Time.

All through the book of revelation, we see the bible prophesy about 7 years of tribulation and 1000 years of reigning with christ and various other emphasis on time. Now my question is this:

How would you be able to estimate days, weeks, months and years in heaven? On earth, we get our idea of day and night, and time in general, by the effects of the earth's rotation and revolution around the sun. So, how would you calculate 7 years when you are in heaven? Is heaven also a planet that orbits the sun?

The Heaven which we would dwell eternally with God is here on earth .
Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jun 07, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You are looking at these things from an earthly perspective . These as you mention can elicit jealousy and God does not want that . Jealousy is an earthly disposition and when we are now in Heaven , the body our mind , thoughts are now transformed , there would no thought of sadness or jealousy . There is contentedness , joy , happiness . The glory of the Lord would coruscate through us - no form of ungodly thoughts can pervade our mind
stop lying for god jare
what of angels no be heaven they day and some are fallen?? lie lie ediots use ur brain

1 Like

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 07, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Isaiah 65:17
17 “For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind.

So you are suggesting that in heaven, you will no longer have memories of your life on earth. No memories of your loved ones and no memories of anyone, even your own self. This means that you are no longer going to be you, because your personality and who you are, is a product of your experiences, memories and interaction with people.

You become more or less a reprogrammed robot, incapable of self defined feelings, recreated to worship God for all eternity.

How then are you going to understand why you are being eternally rewarded ? For example, you are given mansions as reward for winning souls. You have to at least possess memories of your actions on earth for which you are being rewarded, to be able to understand why you are being rewarded with those mansions.

Also, your understanding of the magnificent beauty and elegant artistry of heaven would be as a result of perception and comparism. Your perception of such refined beauty would be hugely dependent on your already formed knowledge of beauty gotten from your sensual experience on earth.
For you to be able to comprehend the extraordinariness of heaven, you have to be able to compare it with the ordinariness of earth, of which you should have knowledge and memory of.

Also, are you implying that it's only those who would be in heaven that would be cleansed of their memories? Because according to the bible, those in hell will still posses their human memories, because that's what would enable them experience regret for their actions and come to terms with their punishment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:02pm On Jun 07, 2016
Decker:

So you are suggesting that in heaven, you will no longer have memories of your life on earth. No memories of your loved ones and no memories of anyone, even your own self. This means that you are no longer going to be you, because your personality and who you are, is a product of your experiences, memories and interaction with people.

You become more or less a reprogrammed robot, incapable of self defined feelings, recreated to worship God for all eternity.

In addition to this, how are you going to understand why you are being eternally rewarded ? For example, you are given mansions as reward for winning souls. You have to at least possess memories of your actions on earth, to be able to understand why you are being rewarded with those mansions.

Also, your understanding of the magnificent beauty and elegant artistry of heaven would be as a result of perception and comparism. Your perception of such refined beauty would be hugely dependent on your already formed knowledge of beauty gotten from your sensual experience on earth.
For you to be able to comprehend the extraordinary of heaven, you have to be able to compare it with the ordinariness of earth, of which you should have knowledge and memory of.

Also, are you implying that it's only those who would be in heaven that would be cleansed of their memories? Because according to the bible, those in hell will still posses their human memories, because that's what would enable them experience regret for their actions and come to terms with their punishment.

You are a creation of God and he can do whatever he like with you . Which is more reasonable ? Being with God , now an infallible creature or dead and gone forever - an atheist's belief . Even sef , both ways you don't make use of memories

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:06pm On Jun 07, 2016
@ Decker . How about just simply living a good life and make heaven . Then you can experience it with your own eyes . You are asking about questions about an event that would happen in far into the future . There are evocative bible verses on what heaven is like but experience is the best teacher .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:14pm On Jun 07, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jun 07, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You are a creation of God and he can do whatever he like with you . Which is more reasonable ? Being with God , now an infallible creature or dead and gone forever - an atheist's belief . Even sef , both ways you don't make use of memories

You didn't answer my question, instead, you are subtly trying to change the subject.

You see how you religious folks demote yourselves to the position of mere slaves at the mercy of an authoritarian God, who is at will to do whatever he likes with you, even if it means depriving you of who you are and transforming you to mindless robots of worship, to fulfill his narcissistic desire for eternal adulation, as reward for worshiping him and doing his will while on earth. What a pity. Yet, you still call him loving father.

Please answer my questions and stop being evasive.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:15pm On Jun 07, 2016
Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:24pm On Jun 07, 2016
Decker:

You didn't answer my question, instead, you are subtly trying to change the subject.

You see how you religious folks demote yourselves to the position of mere slaves at the mercy of an authoritarian God, who is at will to do whatever he likes with you, even if it means depriving you of who you are and transforming you to mindless robots of worship, to fulfill his narcissistic desire for eternal adulation, as reward for worshiping him and doing his will while on earth. What a pity. Yet, you still call him loving father.

cheesy ...

This is from someone that believes that he wouldl die and be gone forever . undecided No memories , nothing . Fails to exist after this life .

In heaven , you memories will be cleansed . Past memories like pain and sorrow can affect your life in heaven . I dont know if your memories would be taken from you before or after you are given your reward . I don't know how these events would take place . I am working with was written .

These are specious arguments . Your arguments would reasonable if we are experiencing life in heaven and its not a satisfying experience .We are still on earth and you are questioning the future . undecided After they'd claim they operate in logic and reason

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Smellymouth: 2:34pm On Jun 07, 2016
Decker:

Hello decker, I ve a message from Obiorathesubtle,.

He says hi and hopes you find you way again.. smiley

May God show you the right pathway bro..

You will be alright wink
Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jun 07, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

cheesy ...

This is from someone that believes that he will die and be gone forever . undecided No memories , nothing . Fails to exist after this life .

In heaven , you memories will be cleansed . Past memories like pain and sorrow can affect your life in heaven . I dont know if your memories would be taken from you before or after you are given your reward . I don't know how these events would take place . I am working with was written .

These are specious arguments . Your arguments would reasonable if we are experiencing life in heaven and its not a satisfying experience .We are still on earth and you are questioning the future . undecided After they'd claim they operate in logic and reason

It's nice you are finally admitting that you do not know - @bolded.
Now if you don't know about something, why are you living your life towards the full attainment of that thing? Isn't it foolishness. You have no idea what's behind a door, but you still decide to sell all you have, and dedicate your whole life just to get through that door which you don't know what's exactly behind it.

Wait a minute, don't you Christians pity people like us who don't believe in your God, because we are damned to suffer for all eternity in hell? Why do you pity us, since neither you nor us have experienced hell?

I am also working with what's written in your holy scriptures.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:40pm On Jun 07, 2016
Decker:

Why was man created in the first place?

Colossians 1:16
16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him

The purpose of man's creation

Isaiah 43:7
7 everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made.”

For his glory ! And we would be worshiping and praising Him now and even after life on earth - where we would be in His presence forever

Psalm 100:2–3
2 Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing!
3 Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his;we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture

These bible verses make us understand the purpose of man

Ecclesiastes 12:13–14

13 The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jun 07, 2016
Smellymouth:

Hello decker, I ve a message from Obiorathesubtle,.

He says hi and hopes you find you way again.. smiley

May God show you the right pathway bro..

You will be alright wink

Okay.

Happy ramadan, Smello.

2 Likes

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:46pm On Jun 07, 2016
Decker:

Lol. KingEbuka the great debater who always has answers for all questions is now claiming that he doesn't know. That's a first. And he actually said it twice.

Now if you don't know about something, why are you living your life towards the full attainment of that thing? Isn't it foolishness. You have no idea what's behind a door, but you still decide to sell all you have, and dedicate your whole life just to get through that door which you don't know what's exactly behind it.

Wait a minute, don't you Christians pity people like us who don't believe in your God, because we are damned to suffer for all eternity in hell? Why do you pity us, since neither you nor us have experienced hell?

Duuurh!! I am also working with what's written.

Mister . Ive found the root of this problem of yours - you don't know the purpose of man's creation . Man in heaven is still adhering to his purpose of creation - to serve , glorify God . So your cavils about memories are baseless .
Now address my response reasonably .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Smellymouth: 2:46pm On Jun 07, 2016
Decker:

Okay.

Happy ramadan, smello.

Ramadan Mubarak boss cool

All the best Sire
smiley
Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by KingEbukasBlog(m): 2:49pm On Jun 07, 2016
@ Decker . Do you need apperception to appreciate the magnificence or beauty of something ?
Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by lepasharon(f): 2:54pm On Jun 07, 2016
sad

1 Like

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:02pm On Jun 07, 2016
lepasharon:
sad

Another daft meme .

Matthew 10:34-36

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
36 a man’s ’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’

Christ has already warned you that choosing him means that you are prepared to be separated from your loved ones who do not believe in Him
Christ said He had come at this time not to bring peace to the earth, but a sword, a weapon which divides and severs.This is the cost of discipleship, for love of family should not be greater than love for the Lord .

You made your choice before making it to heaven .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Christians And Muslims: Essential Questions About Heaven by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jun 07, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Mister . Ive found the root of this problem of yours - you don't know the purpose of man's creation . Man in heaven is still adhering to his purpose of creation - to serve , glorify God . So your cavils about memories are baseless .
Now address my response reasonably .

So basically, what you are trying to say is that God's purpose for creating you is to serve and worship him, and the reward for serving and worshiping him on earth, is to serve and worship him forever in heaven. Wow. What a great purpose. And how did you come about this idea? The words of some ancient hebrew book.

You see, this is the kind of mindset that would drive a man to murder another man, out service to his God. Because nothing matters on earth. The relationships you build with people doesn't matter. Your own personal goals and aspirations doesn't matter. Your service to humanity doesn't matter. Nothing else matters, all that matters is your service to God, and if that service demands violence, you'll happily partake in it.

It's sad that you would call the memories of the life you spend on earth meaningless, and you'd be happy with it all being cleansed. It's really sad. All the time shared with your loved ones, all the meaningful relationships you built, You don't mind them gone.
Why then are you living? Why then do you allow yourself to love and to be loved? This is one of the most depressing thing I have ever read on this forum. I swear.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Encounter With Jesus That Changed My Life / False Spirits Invade The Church - WOLF or WOF / Is Purgatry Real

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.