Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,026 members, 7,863,689 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 11:49 PM

Former President Says Nigeria Would Revisit Same Sex Marriage Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Former President Says Nigeria Would Revisit Same Sex Marriage Law (797 Views)

Atiku Supported Saraki To Be Senate President, Says Dogara / Afenifere, Ohanaeze Disagree As President Says Nigeria’s Unity Not Negotiable / Nigeria Would Have Collapsed If Jonathan Had Defeated Buhari In 2015 – Sagay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Former President Says Nigeria Would Revisit Same Sex Marriage Law by tollyboy5(m): 2:52pm On Jun 07, 2016
I was jst browsing & I saw what former president said at bloomberg studio in london concerning the same sex marriage bill[b]. This private member bill was put forward in the
context of polls that showed 98% of Nigerians
did not think same sex marriage should be
accepted by our society. This was the highest
percentage of any country surveyed. The bill was
passed by 100% of my country’s National
Assembly. Therefore, as a democratic leader
with deep respect for the Rule of Law, I had to
put my seal of approval on it.
However, in the light of deepening debates for
all Nigerians and other citizens of the world to
be treated equally and without discrimination,
and with the clear knowledge that the issue of
sexual orientation is still evolving, the nation
may, at the appropriate time, revisit the law.
When it comes to equality, we must all have the
same rights as Nigerian citizens. Former US
Congressman Charles Rangel noticed the same
thing when talking about America, he said “Full
participation in government and society has
been a basic right of the country symbolizing the
full citizenship and equal protection of all.”
Equality will promote meritocracy, growth and
security. Tribalism, regionalism and religious
intolerance should never be acceptable in
Nigeria.Within the Nigerian Federation, anyone,
regardless of their home state should be treated
equally and have full protection under Federal
Law. opera.pulse.ng/local/goodluck-jonathan-read-full-text-of-ex-president-s-speech-at-bloomberg-studios-id5118396.html
Re: Former President Says Nigeria Would Revisit Same Sex Marriage Law by funstufz(m): 2:56pm On Jun 07, 2016
Thank God, you are not coming back on that basis...
Re: Former President Says Nigeria Would Revisit Same Sex Marriage Law by uchelvlink(f): 3:18pm On Jun 07, 2016
I think this Op has comprehension issues!

Gosh! Why are you people so petty?

Where did he recant his gay stance in that article? Pls Op read the article you posted again. This time slowly!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Former President Says Nigeria Would Revisit Same Sex Marriage Law by ukeame(m): 4:56pm On Jun 07, 2016
Am happy he never come back to power[/color][color=#006600]
Re: Former President Says Nigeria Would Revisit Same Sex Marriage Law by seunmsg(m): 5:06pm On Jun 07, 2016
Jonathan is just being silly. He knew all along that the law will lead to discrimination and violation of some people's right but he still went ahead to sign it just to score cheap political points with majority of Nigerians who are homophobic.

Unfortunately, he lost the election and now, he's trying to recant his stance just to build his profile before the international community.

1 Like

Re: Former President Says Nigeria Would Revisit Same Sex Marriage Law by bamosagie(m): 5:17pm On Jun 07, 2016
seunmsg:
Jonathan is just being silly. He knew all along that the law will lead to discrimination and violation of some people's right but he still went ahead to sign it just to score cheap political points with majority of Nigerians who are homophobic.

Unfortunately, he lost the election and now, he's trying to recant his stance just to build his profile before the international community.

You are the one being silly if you cant understand that despite his feeling towards a subject is action must be based on the mood of the nation, vote by the assembly and his conviction on the right thing to do.

1 Like

Re: Former President Says Nigeria Would Revisit Same Sex Marriage Law by monaPhilz: 5:20pm On Jun 07, 2016
K
Re: Former President Says Nigeria Would Revisit Same Sex Marriage Law by orunto27: 6:05pm On Jun 07, 2016
Our friend has just found a terrific bleeping partner!!!!
Re: Former President Says Nigeria Would Revisit Same Sex Marriage Law by viktagorion: 6:14pm On Jun 07, 2016
Another ogogoro drinking inspired rant.

Good riddance.
Re: Former President Says Nigeria Would Revisit Same Sex Marriage Law by WATCHOVER(m): 6:28pm On Jun 07, 2016
From this statement all I see is Jonathan trying to play smart on the whites here. Giving them false hope, that will never come.
Cause if we could recall this was one of the things that made his government and Obama's government to walk on parallel lines.

(1) (Reply)

Abia To Remain Without Governor Till July 7 / What Happened To China/Nigerian Currrency Swap? / Edo 2016: Shuaibu Emerges Obaseki’s Running Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.