Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,249 members, 7,829,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

US Students Sponsor Nigerian Classmate Mum’s Visit For Graduation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / US Students Sponsor Nigerian Classmate Mum’s Visit For Graduation (855 Views)

Jealous JSS1 Student Who Poisoned Classmate With Acid In Lagos Expelled / SS2 Student Expelled For Sleeping With Classmate's Dad And Teacher's Husband / Student Gropes His Classmate After Saving Her From Drowning (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Students Sponsor Nigerian Classmate Mum’s Visit For Graduation by gulfer: 6:29am On Jun 08, 2016
Senior students of The John Carroll School in Bel Air surprised their Nigerian classmate by sponsoring his mother’s visit for his graduation. Mike Tertsea left Nigeria four years ago to study at The John Carroll School in Bel Air, hence his mum had not seen him him for four years. Felicia Ikpum on getting to the US didn’t even recognized her son when she met him at the airport on Friday. Mike Tertsea, a John Carroll senior from Nigeria, was surprised to learn his class pitched in to help bring his mother, Felicia Ikpum, in for his graduation after being apart for four years. (Baltimore Sun) “He has changed completely,” a smiling Ikpum said after the school’s baccalaureate ceremony Wednesday. Mike, a basketball player at John Carroll who plans to attend the University of Rhode Island, was surprised to learn that the whole senior class, joined by faculty members, had made contribution to make it possible for his mother to make the trip from Benue State, Nigeria, to see him graduate from high school. “I was really, really surprised,” Mike said with a wide smile after the ceremony. “It is really a blessing and I thank everyone for coming here.” Ikpum traveled 12 hours through dangerous territory to get to an airport and fly to the U.S., school spokesperson Joe Schuberth said. “It was a tough drive for her,” Mike said. “She said at one point, she felt like giving up.” It was also her first time on an airplane, and “for a while, she couldn’t recognize me and couldn’t believe it was her son,” Mike said. Toward the end of the school’s annual ceremony and Mass, Principal Madelyn Ball told the friends and relatives gathered in the gym that one student had asked, “Is Mike’s mom coming to graduation?” “Everyone was concerned because, you see, Mike has not been home for four years,” Ball said. She then explained how the senior class was able to raise $1,763 for his mom’s trip. When “there were some issues once the flight was booked,” because the class was about $500 short, class co-advisor Carrie Siemsen raised the remaining money within a few hours by emailing faculty and staff. Mike and his mother got a standing ovation as they were asked to come up on the stage, where they each thanked the senior class for bringing them together. Some students seemed to be wiping away tears as Mike and his mother made their way to the stage. Mike said he is an only child and his mother is his only immediate relative. Growing up in the Benue area did mean real challenges, Mike said. “People sometimes don’t have food to eat; it’s hard to get food.” Ikpum, 56, said when she saw her son, “I screamed, I shouted.” “I was so excited,” she said about seeing him after four years, noting they had only spoken by phone over the years. Besides playing basketball at college, the 6-foot, 10-inch tall senior said earlier he is considering pursuing economics or business management. Asked about her son’s accomplishments, Ikpum said: “It’s crazy.” “I just believe God will take care of him, and the people here are nice,” she said. When they talked on the phone over the four years, “He was happy, and I am happy.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/belair/ph-ag-john-carroll-nigerian-student-0527-20160526-story.html

Re: US Students Sponsor Nigerian Classmate Mum’s Visit For Graduation by reverendfather: 6:37am On Jun 08, 2016
this is so nice, I mean FTC
Re: US Students Sponsor Nigerian Classmate Mum’s Visit For Graduation by Cutehector(m): 6:40am On Jun 08, 2016
Awwwwww cry

So generous of his classmates.. Friendship is just golden

1 Like

Re: US Students Sponsor Nigerian Classmate Mum’s Visit For Graduation by amtaken(f): 6:55am On Jun 08, 2016
So Mike's mum went to USA to tell them there's no food in Benue, the food basket of our nation? She also told them that she went through turbulent time to get to the airport from Benue and that she spent 12 hours?

Nigerians!

2 Likes

Re: US Students Sponsor Nigerian Classmate Mum’s Visit For Graduation by hisgrace090: 7:02am On Jun 08, 2016
Infact America is filled with real human beings
Re: US Students Sponsor Nigerian Classmate Mum’s Visit For Graduation by ajokebelle(f): 7:04am On Jun 08, 2016
wow, wonderful.
Re: US Students Sponsor Nigerian Classmate Mum’s Visit For Graduation by ib4real95(m): 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2016
wipes tears!

(1) (Reply)

[PDF] Social Media: A Means Of Enhancing Collaborative Scientific Innovations. / Futminna 2016/2017 Pre Admission Screening Exercise / UNIBEN Students In Conflict With A Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.