Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,899 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm (53919 Views)

My Watermelon Farm Turn Cassava Farm / The Making Of My Small Garden.(pics) / Kicked off My Small Scale Rabbit farm!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by tosyne2much(m): 10:03pm On Jun 08, 2016
gebest:
so how u com tak handle dat watermelon ebola, besides so na only two watermelon u dey disturb urself since.
Haba !!! Baba, no dey hate now

1 Like

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 10:18pm On Jun 08, 2016
Totfulguy:

Lovely! Which part of the country is this?
akinakinyele:
pls which part of the country are u ?
Ilorin, Kwara state

2 Likes

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 10:22pm On Jun 08, 2016
purpinkx:
I did something similar, but one heavy rain destroyed my crop , I felt bad sha ... But the mere size of this fruit screams “try again success is 3 feet away”. bellow is what I salvaged ...
And very sweet too
aww, sorry about that. They will sell that size for nothing less than #350
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 10:24pm On Jun 08, 2016
DebbieSean:
Kudos. This is inspiring, and at the nick of time too. We have a small farm too, though we practice mixed cropping system, I also want to engage in animal husbandry before the end of the year.
thanks. Which crops do you grow?
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by Ediss(m): 10:25pm On Jun 08, 2016
Our fine fine boys hanging around women she see their fellow making good use of their time and youthful age.

2 Likes

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 10:28pm On Jun 08, 2016
gebest:
so how u com tak handle dat watermelon ebola, besides so na only two watermelon u dey disturb urself since.
I harvested 2 ripe ones yesterday, the pictures I posted were made 2weeks ago. There were 10 good ones aside those 2, remaining 8 now. Its just a small experimental farm brother smiley

5 Likes

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by knostbrown01(m): 10:34pm On Jun 08, 2016
osothermal:
Please i need watermelons in large quantity .my number 07067439755

where is your location and how many quantity?
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 10:42pm On Jun 08, 2016
felifeli:

How did you get rid of the pests ? I started a small farm like yours and the plants are invaded by small snails and later by those caterpillars. I abandoned the farm. Do you use pesticides. If you do, which one do you suggest?
I didn't use anything, what I noticed was that the pests were only able tamper with the smaller ones within a week or 2weeks old which were already damaged when I noticed, so I just left some and crushed some of the pests cos the other fruits are bigger and older for them would have gone for pesticide if not
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by vicky3(m): 10:50pm On Jun 08, 2016
Lanre you can reach me on watsapp with 07014993831 tried replying but i cant i dont know why
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by knostbrown01(m): 10:55pm On Jun 08, 2016
SuperSuave:
I didn't use anything, what I noticed was that the pests were only able tamper with the smaller ones within a week or 2weeks old which were already damaged when I noticed, so I just left some and crushed some of the pests cos the other fruits are bigger and older for them would have gone for pesticide if not

what day exactly did u plnt d seedlings?
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by OMAR12: 11:10pm On Jun 08, 2016
can't it be planted anywhere in the east am an agric lover.
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by tylerbraid(m): 11:13pm On Jun 08, 2016
Nice nice.
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 11:15pm On Jun 08, 2016
knostbrown01:

what day exactly did u plnt d seedlings?
to be honest I cant vividly recall but I'm very sure it was late March, almost the end of march when we had our first real rain over here.

1 Like

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by djmadridal: 11:20pm On Jun 08, 2016
Op, did u plant dry or wet seeds?
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by Saheed69(m): 11:27pm On Jun 08, 2016
I will also share my testimony very soon by God Grace, cuz I also engaged in farming but my is not water melon but maize and cassava. May be I will share the pics very soon.
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 11:33pm On Jun 08, 2016
epini:
nothing do u my brother....could u pls put me through on how to go abt d first stage..
I made small ridges first(necessary so you can easily clear growing weeds without touching the plant), then inserted the seedlings(2 to 3 in a hole) into the ridges with a depth of about 2-3cm and spacing of about 30-45cm(its important to give them space so they don't get overcrowded when spreading out).

The major post planting operations are weeding and pest control(melons do not require much water hence no need for watering)

Its biannual, you can plant early in the year with the first heavy rain or towards the end of the year with lesser rainfall before winter
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 11:36pm On Jun 08, 2016
Saheed69:
I will also share my testimony very soon by God Grace, cuz I also engaged in farming but my is not water melon but maize and cassava. May be I will share the pics very soon.
I'm growing maize too, I tried cassava in 2007 but it didn't work so I opted for vegetables
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 11:38pm On Jun 08, 2016
djmadridal:
Op, did u plant dry or wet seeds?
I actually planted both for experimental purpose, I noticed the wet seeds did better compared to the dry ones. They grew faster and had larger fruits

1 Like

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by JayJustus(m): 11:39pm On Jun 08, 2016
awesome...my vodka smoothie business about to kick-start lololololol
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by MzOnajin1(f): 12:04am On Jun 09, 2016
Niceone. Did you plant a wet or dry seed?
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by Omoluabi16(m): 12:09am On Jun 09, 2016
MzOnajin1:
I think a dry one
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by Omoluabi16(m): 12:12am On Jun 09, 2016
SuperSuave:
I'll consider this a success viewing the second picture wink

The second harvest was about 4days after the first, I noticed it cracked beneath so I harvested it immediately
Bro... I love you, no homo. I'm really impressed. God bless your hustle.

2 Likes

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by Gkemz: 1:53am On Jun 09, 2016
So watermelons grow as fast as this.

1 Like

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by tibaonnet: 4:12am On Jun 09, 2016
SuperSuave:
I made small ridges first(necessary so you can easily clear growing weeds without touching the plant), then inserted the seedlings(2 to 3 in a hole) into the ridges with a depth of about 2-3cm and spacing of about 30-45cm(its important to give them space so they don't get overcrowded when spreading out).

The major post planting operations are weeding and pest control(melons do not require much water hence no need for watering)

Its biannual, you can plant early in the year with the first heavy rain or towards the end of the year with lesser rainfall before winter
Well done bro, I also have a farm mixed with yam, maize, pepper, tomatoes & water melon. Mine is nearly 3 months & I am planning to get my first harvest today.
Thanks for the steps given here but the only thing I dont agree with is the fact that water melons do not require much water. What I noticed in my own water melon farm is that the more water it get the more it spread out.
If water melons spread out well they will have more fruits.
I will post the pictures of my own in the day.

1 Like

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by 19naia(m): 5:24am On Jun 09, 2016
very nice and tomatos are in need and easy to grow. smiley
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 5:44am On Jun 09, 2016
tibaonnet:

Well done bro, I also have a farm mixed with yam, maize, pepper, tomatoes & water melon. Mine is nearly 3 months & I am planning to get my first harvest today.
Thanks for the steps given here but the only thing I dont agree with is the fact that water melons do not require much water. What I noticed in my own water melon farm is that the more water it get the more it spread out.
If water melons spread out well they will have more fruits.
I will post the pictures of my own in the day.
kindly mention me when you post them.
This is not the first time I'm getting to hear/know that melons do not require much water. in fact the smaller fruits in my own farm remained stagnant while some had only little increase in size compared to those first two and one other one that sprung before the rain was coming everyday. The tiny little one didn't survive when the rain came in heavily(it rained almost everyday for about 3weeks)
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 5:46am On Jun 09, 2016
Omoluabi16:
Bro... I love you, no homo. I'm really impressed. God bless your hustle.
Thanks brother, I appreciate this.
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 5:49am On Jun 09, 2016
MzOnajin1:
I actually planted both for experimental purpose, I noticed the wet seeds did better compared to the dry ones. They grew faster and had larger fruits
Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by SuperSuave(m): 5:50am On Jun 09, 2016
Gkemz:
So watermelons grow as fast as this.
yea, very fast bro

1 Like

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by askiyke(m): 5:57am On Jun 09, 2016
SuperSuave:
Week 10- I was inspecting the farm on a Saturday and saw those ones spoilt and some being eaten up
-Those are the bastaard pests grin I mostly see underneath or beside the fruits, I don't even know the name

week 11- just before harvesting the one on the right
we'll done

1 Like

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by Saheed69(m): 6:37am On Jun 09, 2016
SuperSuave:
I'm growing maize too, I tried cassava in 2007 but it didn't work so I opted for vegetables

I will also try the water melonand cucumber but not now, am planning to extend the farm from 2plots of land to 4plots. But cassava is my priority at the moment.

2 Likes

Re: Photos From My Small Watermelon Farm by glossy6(f): 7:15am On Jun 09, 2016
OMAR12:
can't it be planted anywhere in the east am an agric lover.

It can be planted in the East. The seedlings are available in the market. I planted watermelon, cucumber, okro, maize and i want to plant golden melon when I get home this month end

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rice And Garri Sack Printing / How I Converted An Abandoned Land In My Area Into A Sesame Farm. / 50 metres diameters Rain Guns For Sale!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.