Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Gaani Festival Okuta - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Gaani Festival Okuta (2759 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Appears For Festival After Going Into Spiritual Seclusion / Photos From The 2017 Osun Osogbo Festival / Alaafin Of Oyo Dances At World Sango Festival Day Celebration (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gaani Festival Okuta by Philipsakwari(m): 6:50pm On Jun 08, 2016
It was early in 2014 when my friend Jimoh invited me to his home town Okuta for the Gani festival. Prior to that time, I had neither heard about the festival nor the community. But as a cultural enthusiast, I felt I should document this all important African festival. I gathered my camera and other photography kits for this all important festival. A day prior to the festival, we went to Iyana Ipaja park to pick a cab going to Saki in Oyo State which is the closest town to the place. It was more than six hour ride and we got to Okuta in the evening. I want to showcase the photos from the festival as daily Post below captured the detailed stories of the festival.
This year’s annual Gaani Festival in Kaiama and Baruten Local Government Areas of Kwara State held last week amidst glamour, glitz and razzmatazz. Weekly Trust chronicles the 300 years old festival which symbolises the unique and rich culture of the Barubas.
The Baruba nation in Kwara State came alive last week for this year’s annual Gaani festival which brings together indigenes of the communities at home and in the Diaspora. It was a celebration of culture and customs of the Bokobaru tribe and peoples which share history and tradition with the Borgu kingdom which falls in the North-Eastern Benin Republic and some parts of northern Nigeria.
The festival was celebrated simultaneously in Kaiama and Baruten Local Government Areas though the major activities took place in Kaiama Local Government Area where Baruten Local Government was created in 1991. As the sons and daughters of Kaiama, as well as dignitaries gathered to celebrate and felicitate with one another, Yashikira district in Baruten was equally bubbling with its own Gaani feast while Okuta district also in Baruten would be marking its own version of the festival this weekend. For detailed stories, go to:http://philipsakwari.com.ng/2016/06/08/gaani-festival-okuta/

(1) (Reply)

Myth On The Four Market Days In Igbo Land : How It Started / My Iwa Akwa (wearing Of Cloth) Experience In Obowo LGA, Imo State. / I Am Just Curious Ooo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.