Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye (21759 Views)

How Abba Kyari Exploits President Buhari's Poor Health / Nigerians Rate Buhari Poor In Economic Management – Vanguard Poll / When Bell Rings Twice- Tinubu's The Nation Take A Swipe At President Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 9:33pm On Jun 08, 2016
Not many thought the first year of Muhammadu Buhari would look like this. The price of pump price at 145, the naira at 350 to a dollar, not a single road tarred, the 2016 Budget in baby steps, no minister has received a tranche for work, salary backlogs now a routine, herdsmen as killer squads, Biafra on the rampage, Niger Delta brigands reborn, a labour strike, the President has only visited one state on official trip, his plane has landed on four continents, the change mantra muted.

Yet, if you go to the streets, there is no rage or less rage or impotent rage, but a sense of paralysis. The average Nigerian, including those who did not vote for Buhari, are not willing to pelt indignation. They feel poor, even poorer. Power that spewed out radiance in the first few months of his administration has returned to its habitual epilepsy. Jobs? Where are they? The welfare scheme and food for students? Not on the cards today. Many cannot pay rents, many squeeze out meals, wards cannot face their principals for lack of fees. Patience is tested everywhere. Those who are asking for it are also being asked for it. Yet, Buhari is Teflon, rising somewhat above popular anger.

Much of it, ironically, can be attributed to Buhari himself. The people at the hem are not yet angry with the man at the helm. For two reasons, mainly. One, his biography has proved compelling, even in office. No one thinks him a thief. No one thinks him contemplating thieving. Added to that, he turned the EFCC into a vault of revelations. This man stole that, that smaller man stole that bigger sum. The newspapers became headlines of statistical horror of billions of naira and dollar. All the peacock men in the Jonathan era, who suffused us with righteous rhetoric, of brokered ethnicity and marketed shoelessness, have become the fingers of impunity or retreated into priestly or pastoral silences.
Perhaps for the first time since independence, we have an elected president whose finger is not suspected of pecuniary mischief. He might have flown to Asia, Europe and the United States, and slept in the luxury of jet and high-flown hotels. He is not in any suggestion of a narrative of stealing.
We also know that integrity is good, but no matter how good, it will not put food on the table. There lies the moral dilemma of the Buhari era so far. We pine for holiness; we want the sort of character that John Milton painted of the Christ in Paradise Lost. But Christ can be boring if he does not change water to wine or give us fishes that defeat the appetite. The alternative is to call for Satan, and the sins multiply. Hence, Satan was a more colorful and majestic character in Milton’s epic than the beautiful blandness of his Christ. We had a lot of Satan of greed in the last dispensation. That accounts for the Buhari appeal.

This is perhaps the first time that the war on corruption is fought with palpable sincerity. Paradoxically, it is also the first time it is pursued with epic naivety. The battle seems more about the optics so far, about the stunning figures, about the pruned dignity of the culprit in court, of the stories of vomiting and chewed statements, of court orders ignored and obeyed, of a puffing Eleyinmi as Senate President and a bragging Fani-Kayode clutching the air of the moral superior. Of course, a stooping former soldier is almost numbed over charges that he played charity with government money. Money to save lives in battle was diverted to save the office of the shoeless maestro.

But then, Buhari wanted to roll back Boko Haram, and he has. Once the pious upstarts planted righteous flags and choked cities and towns and its shadow threatened Kashim Shettima’s position as Borno State governor. Shettima told us more than anyone was ready to say about the ragtag army of bigots, that they were better armed and motivated. Now, Boko Haram is a puny blood fest, harassing only intermittently with suicides. It is a mark it cannot hold out for too long.
So, Buhari governed gravely, and he changed the moral tone of government. He also nipped the greatest existential threat to our nationhood in the past three decades. For one year, we can say he did well and, some may say, even very well.

But very well does not put food on the table. It does not seem now that many know well what the blueprint is for the economy. Vice President Yemi Osinbajo articulated this at The Nation newspaper’s First National Conference on the Economy. Since then though, he has made references to it in snippets. But, it will not resonate until we start seeing steps.
No matter the high moral tone of the economy, and a sense of tranquility, if the economy is not handled with deliberate urgency, the austere image of the president will get a beating from the hungry and disaffected. This may be the flipside of the election that brought George W. Bush to office. Bill Clinton was credited with the biggest economic expansion in U.S. history with many jobs available. But his party’s nominee Al Gore, who was his vice, lost out because of Clinton’s moral baggage. The people chose character over prosperity. Of course, when they lost prosperity under Bush, they gave a black man, Barack Obama, the task to carry both the moral and economic burdens. Just like Larry Mamutry’s novel, Lonesome Dove, where the black man serves as the moral restraint for the white man, Obama becomes what sociologists have called the “magical negro.” He takes the fall for the Caucasian predatory excesses. Buhari should learn not to be a fall guy of his own integrity.

As noted last week, he can take advantage of bellwether minister Babatunde Fashola (SAN), whose ministry can galvanise activity with works and housing and power projects. That was how FD Roosevelt jolted America with the New Deal, which some critics called the “raw deal” then. Other ministers, too, can follow suit at various levels.
His first year is noted for some notorious silences. The Agatu-Fulani herdsmen saga, Ese Oruru, labour strike, pump price hike. He has visited many places, but only Cross River State in Nigeria for business. His voice roared over Biafra agitation, Niger Delta Avengers and the Shiite group up north. No problem with that if the same decibel of rhetoric flogged the herdsmen. He has clutched endlessly for reasons. A leader is empty without empathy. He needs to connect on an emotional level, especially at a time when many are hurting. Life and death, says David, are in the power of the tongue.

The second year often is time to settle down to substantial work. As John Donne wrote, ask not for whom the bell tolls, Mr. President, it tolls for thee. A year from now, the bell would have rung twice, where will his tenure be?

Source:

http://thenationonlineng.net/bell-rings-twice/

41 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by chukwukadibia10: 9:43pm On Jun 08, 2016
The Nation
Is too late to become a wailer.

Pls remain in ur zombie nation

128 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 9:47pm On Jun 08, 2016
Hands of Sam omatseye .... voice of tinubu cheesy

Lalasticlala , the wailing form is finishing o, tinubu has just bought the last one cheesy

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by DrRasheed: 10:01pm On Jun 08, 2016
As far as i will keep sleeping safely, walk and worship safely, surely my thump is always up for buhari

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by TippyTop(m): 11:13pm On Jun 08, 2016
DrRasheed:
As far as i will keep sleeping safely, walk and worship safely, surely my thump is always up for buhari

I bet your favourite Fela song is Zombie grin

*Modified*
The writer of this article is Tinubu's right hand man Sam Omatseye, chairman, editorial board of The Nation Newspaper. Tinubu must never be given a wailer's form.

164 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by FagsamPHP(m): 11:48pm On Jun 08, 2016
k
Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by happney65: 11:53pm On Jun 08, 2016
TippyTop:

I bet your favourite Fela song is Zombie grin

Cos he is nothing but a confirmed Zoombie.. grin

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by Nobody: 11:58pm On Jun 08, 2016
DrRasheed:
U re sleeping safely on an empty stomach and herdsmen rampaging...

106 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by shaddoww: 12:04am On Jun 09, 2016
What a wonderful write up, more of dis is needed to keep them awake since we av no opposition right now.

My best part.

"We pine for holiness; we want
the sort of character that John Milton painted of
the Christ in Paradise Lost. But Christ can be
boring if he does not change water to wine or
give us fishes that defeat the appetite. The
alternative is to call for Satan, and the sins
multiply. Hence, Satan was a more colorful and
majestic character in Milton’s epic than the
beautiful blandness of his Christ".

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by Abeymills(m): 12:13am On Jun 09, 2016
Hey watch dat zombie over there bloody hypocrites suffering n smiling yeye govt bubuhari is a disaster

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by tomakint: 12:18am On Jun 09, 2016
Like play like play Tinubu is silently and subtly drumming support for his lackey, Osinbajo but come what may Osinbajo will disappoint him on the long run. If Buhari eventually becomes unable to continue the Northern Mafias will fight dirty to high heavens because Osinbajo being a Pastor will have a lot to grapple with especially from the Religion angle. If eventually Osinbajo is made President, I think he will need the Spiritual advice of Daddy Adeboye more than the political shrewdness of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu. I have a strong conviction that God is about to do something. Hmnnnn

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by truthspeaks: 12:20am On Jun 09, 2016
Buhari's problems r self-inflicted n dis affected d ordinary Nigerians. He forgot dat anti-corruption fight does nt feed d hungry nor pay bills of families. He forgot dat it's only ppl whose bellies r satisfied can read n cheer his anti-corruption stories. I pray he gets back on his feet to correct his mistakes cos am sure blaming Pdp or Jonathan ain't wrkin anymore

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by DONMAYOR19(m): 12:34am On Jun 09, 2016
DrRasheed:
brainwashed and blindfolded is extremely real, I can see it live here.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by drberry(m): 1:23am On Jun 09, 2016
I'll be right back...
Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by romme2u: 1:58am On Jun 09, 2016
drberry:
I'll be right back...

..............me too
Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by AhmadMind: 3:50am On Jun 09, 2016
romme2u:

..............me too
drberry post=46402019:
I'll be right back...

....me too
Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by lorbah001(m): 4:56am On Jun 09, 2016
I believe still that I voted right

This administration will change our orientation towards public office

Buhari will succeed

5 Likes

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by Begino1: 5:00am On Jun 09, 2016
His arrogance is his greatest undoing, he thinks he knows it all by refusing to take heed to the advice of well meaning Nigerians. And when he decided to take the advice, the damage had been done and immediate solution is no where within his reach. Right now, he's more than confused, we pray God give him wisdom to lead us out of this recession.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by DaBullIT(m): 5:18am On Jun 09, 2016
Buhari is doing his best

The bastards that are wailing are the ones who in a way or the other benefited from the corrupt administration

the other bastards are the ones who just won't stop blowing pipelines because some erdyot paid them to , in order to avoid prosecution

Buhari is doing what's humanly possible to fix this country

4 Likes

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by hucienda: 5:26am On Jun 09, 2016
My oh my... The Nation? indirectly wailing?

Wonders shall never end.

By May 2017, mid-term, we will know for sure if the Buhari administration is serious about governance. But the first year has been all negatives safe 'technically' defeating Boko Haram and 'fighting' corruption.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 7:15am On Jun 09, 2016
DaBullIT:
Buhari is doing his best

The bastards that are wailing are the ones who in a way or the other benefited from the corrupt administration

the other bastards are the ones who just won't stop blowing pipelines because some erdyot paid them to , in order to avoid prosecution

Buhari is doing what's humanly possible to fix this country
With your head out of the sand you'd think better and clearer. The categories of people you mentioned are on the minority and are not necessarily feeling any hardship. But the larger number of nigerians, who are just ordinary people are suffering truely and its not looking like it'd get better. The article is a kind of wake up call to your god, buhari. Such articles are born out of patriotism. But your defence is purely born out of the dirtiest partisanship. The nation nespwspaper belongs to tinubu. And you can never be closer to buhari than tinubu. So, the only one wailing here is you. Cant you see who the bastard is? cheesy

69 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by iamodenigbo1(m): 7:30am On Jun 09, 2016
wailer form has fini

1 Like

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by iamodenigbo1(m): 7:30am On Jun 09, 2016
wailer form has finished

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by Noneroone(m): 7:42am On Jun 09, 2016
Hehehe...tinubus propaganda

now that buhari is out they have shifted the propaganda to painting buhari black and osibanjo white so that zombies will like him

watching the "change marriage"

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by searchng4love: 8:10am On Jun 09, 2016
tinubu wailing?..... what's really happening?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by Hedonistically: 8:11am On Jun 09, 2016
Buhari shall not finish his tenure. Of course that is a very good thing, because Nigeria cannot survive four years under the ignorantly arrogant and hopelessly incompetent dullard. The only problem is that the prospect of an Osinbajo presidency is tantamount to a proxy Tinubu presidency, which rankles.

10 Likes

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by SageTravels: 8:25am On Jun 09, 2016
ok
Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by Segadem(m): 8:26am On Jun 09, 2016
God bless Nigeria
Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by greatness22(m): 8:26am On Jun 09, 2016
Confusion in the camp of Nigeria enemies. Let the wailing begin.

I see the yorubas breaking the chain of slavery from the hands of their lord and saviour. (buhari)

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by Segadem(m): 8:26am On Jun 09, 2016
Noneroone:
Hehehe...tinubus propaganda

now that buhari is out they have shifted the propaganda to painting buhari black and osibanjo white so that zombies will like him

watching the "change marriage"

3 Likes

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by Joel3(m): 8:26am On Jun 09, 2016
.. before the election buhari made several promise and one of them is to banned government officials from using government fund to travel abroad for treatment. and promised to fixed all the hospital, many times different governor's claimed to have build a world class hospital and yet we keep seeing them traveled abroad for treatment.

below is the Buhari Promise List.

Writes THISDAY Politics Desk

1. Public declaration of assets and liabilities

2. State and community policing

3. Ban on all government officials from seeking medical
care abroad

4. Implementation of the National Gender Policy, including
35% of appointive positions for women

5. Revival of Ajaokuta steel company

6. Generation, transmission and distribution of at least
20,000 MW of electricity within four years and increasing
to 50,000 MW with a view to achieving 24/7 uninterrupted
power supply within 10 years.

7. Empowerment scheme to employ 740,000 graduates
across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

8. Establishment of a free-tuition and scholarship scheme
for pupils who have shown exceptional aptitude in science
subjects at O/Levels to study ICT-related courses

9. 720,000 jobs by the 36 states in the federation per
annum (20,000 per state)

10. Three million Jobs per year

11. To embark on vocational training, entrepreneurial and
skills acquisition schemes for graduates along with the
creation of a Small Business Loan Guarantee Scheme to
create at least 5 million new jobs by 2019.

15. Creation of a Social Welfare Programme of at least
Five Thousand Naira (N5000) that will cater for the 25
million poorest and most vulnerable citizens upon the
demonstration of children’s enrollment in school and
evidence of immunisation to help promote family stability

16. Recruitment and training of at least 100,000 officers
into the Nigerian police force and establish a Federal Anti-
terrorism Agency.

17. One free meal (to include fruits) daily, for public
primary school pupils

18. Building an airport in Ekiti State

19. Eradication of state of origin, replacing that with state
of residence to ensure Nigerians are Nigerians first before
anything else.

25. Permanent peace in the Niger Delta and other conflict
prone areas such as Plateau, Taraba, Bauchi, Borno and
Abia.

26. No plans to Islamise Nigeria.

27. Nationwide sanitation plans to keep Nigeriaway clean

28. Preserving the independence of the Central Bank

29. Simplifying immigration process to foster faster visa
processing at points of entry.

30. Special incentives to facilitate the education of the girl
child

31. Full implementation of the National Identification
Scheme to generate the relevant data.

32. Making Information Technology, Manufacturing,
Agriculture and Entertainment key drivers of our economy

33. Balancing the economy across regions by the creation
of six new Regional Economic Development Agencies
(REDAs) to act as champions of sub-regional
competitiveness

34. Putting in place a N300bn regional growth fund
(average of N50bn in each geo-political region) to be
managed by the REDAs.

36. Reviving and reactivating the minimally performing
Refineries to optimum capacity

37. Creating additional middle-class of at least two million
new home owners in the first year in government and one
million annually thereafter.

38. Creating an additional middle class of at least four
million new home owners by 2019 by enacting national
mortgage single digit interest rates for purchase of owner
occupier houses as well as reviewing the collateral
qualification to make funding for home ownership easier,
with 15 to 30 year mortgage terms.

39. Enacting a national mortgage system that will lend at
single digit interest rates for purchase of owner occupier
houses.

40. Injecting extra N30bn into the Agricultural sector to
create more agro-allied jobs by way of loans at nominal
interest rates for capital

42. Creating a national infrastructural development bank to
provide loans at nominal interest rates exclusively for this
sector.

43. Construction of 3,000km of Superhighway including
service trunks

44. Building of up to 4,800km of modern railway lines –
one third to be completed by 2019

45. At least one functioning airport is available in each of
the 36 states.

46. Ending gas flaring and ensuring sales of at least half
of gas produce, within Nigeria

47. Speedily passing the much-delayed Petroleum Industry
Bill (PIB) and ensuring that local content issues are fully
addressed.

48. Establishing at least six new universities of science
and technology with satellite campuses in various states.

49. Establishing six centres of excellence to address the
needs of special education

50. Prioritising the reduction of the infant mortality rate by
2019 to 3%

51. Reducing maternal mortality by more than 70%

52. Reducing HIV/AIDs infection rate by 50% and other
infectious diseases by 75%

53. Improving life expectancy by additional 10 years on
average.

54. Increasing the number of physicians from 19 per 1000
population to 50 per 1000

55. Increasing national health expenditure per person per
annum to about N50,000 (from less than N10,000
currently)

56. Increasing the quality of all federal government-owned
hospitals to world class standard withijn five years

81. Free education at primary, secondary and tertiary
institutions for Science, Technology, Engineering and
Mathematics (STEM) and Education.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/time-to-walk-the-
talk/210866/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari's Poor Performance: When The Bell Rings Twice - Sam Omatseye by amclimax(m): 8:27am On Jun 09, 2016
One day I will look my kids in their eyes and say I survived PDP 16yrs of backwardness and APC I guess 8yrs of blame games....with boko haram steady bombing, ipob , herdsmen, Niger delta militants, road accident..... The one that pains me most is seeing my President going to another man country for treatment imagine Obama to send 20days in Ogun state for ulcer treatment.... Is not only the man with chains is a slave....mental slavery is far worst .... In my twenties but I can boost that I have seen more than my grandpa that died at 80

4 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gov. Fayose And Petrol Sellers At Loggerheads, Black Market Takes Over. / Boko Haram: Atiku, PDP Should Stop Mocking Our Fallen Heroes Over Attacks, Group / Enugu Pays April Salaries Of Workers, 25% Allowance For Health Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.