Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,281 members, 7,839,386 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? (29400 Views)

The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed / FG Signs Mou On Warri-abuja Rail Project..picture. / Abuja-kaduna Rail Project No Longer Feasible In May – Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by mmsen: 9:33am On Jun 09, 2016
Addis Ababa sits on high, solid ground while Lagos is largely swampy land, at or below sea level. The topography of Addis Ababa is easier to manage and therefore cheaper to build upon than that of Lagos.

Property values in Lagos are significantly higher than in Addis. Population in Lagos is significantly higher than that of Addis. GDP of Lagos alone is greater than that of the whole of Ethiopia. Wages in Lagos are higher than in Addis.

Ethiopia has very peculiar land ownership laws - it's the Land Decree that OBJ brought in but several times more restrictive, it's easier for the state to 'acquire' land from private citizens in Ethiopia than in Nigeria.

Ethiopia is a one party state, a very restrictive society where the government monitors everything (that it can). Comparing such a system to Nigeria's, on that basis alone, is foolish.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 09, 2016
DaBullIT:
You have Brains in your head

Unlike some people who claim to be smart , but can't understand the concept of construction, Imagine someone mentioning omo onile when it's clearly not the same thing or even related

As much as I disagreed with the poster, Omo Onile (Community Affairs) is always included in the budget for any construction work.

On the topic, the OP's post is without any base nor fact as it's improper to compare construction cost of a project in two different geopolitical zones. Features will definitely differ. Soil nature, site terrain, economic situation, minimum wage, side features (flyover, pedestrian bridge, stops, underpass, lighting... etc)...

In conclusion, I think the OP is high on some expired weeds and needs to be rehabilitated.
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by donifecent(m): 9:39am On Jun 09, 2016
Are you surprise but my answer is nigerians are no longer corrupt. We're saint.
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by Shym3xx: 9:46am On Jun 09, 2016
Rogues.

When are they even going to complete the darn thing? I remember when I first registered on this forum in 2012, I saw pictures of Fashola buying some used trains in Canada. What happened to them?
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by masseratti: 9:54am On Jun 09, 2016
oyb:
The sad demise of nl and Nigeria.
Once upon a time, professionals, even consultants from the project would be slugging it out, showing detailed breakdowns, CBAs, Stakeholder issues etc.

Today we have semi literate simpletons using puerile arguments.

Does the Ethiopia metro pass through a developed area?
Is it the exact same scope?

The project is ultimately supervised by the world bank
it actually passed through a developed area, but most people on this thread refused to note that more than half of the Lagos rail line is elevated and there is brt corridor and a ten lane road project in it, not forgetting the houses the government had to pay for.
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by AbuMikey(m): 9:57am On Jun 09, 2016
kinibigdeal:

Very funny. Probably you want me to give you the full details of their rail project or you find out yourself. Lagos rail line is such a scam

Oga, Give use.
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by Kingspin(m): 10:02am On Jun 09, 2016
aresa:

Lagos Metro Rail Project goes beyond what you listed and the project is not limited to metro rail.

Ethiopia's rail project is just a rail project

Lagos state metro includes 27km metro rail with multiple lines

54 km 10 lane expressway

BRT access

Stations

Overhead bridges

Rail bridge across the Lagos Lagoon

Power station

Get your facts straight...

Say the frank, Nigerian politicians are fantastically corrupt .
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by Zico5(m): 10:03am On Jun 09, 2016
deeplow:
Haba na. Dont be naive. You cant compare the two. They did not include Omo onile and Akiolu in the budget for Ethiopia's light rail na. That can add quite a lot to the budget.

Nigeria is known to use better quality materials for construction. This is evident in our hospitals,schools and world class roads.

27km in Nigeria is quite longer than 34 in Ethiopia. Basis for measurement is different.

Chief Amaechi himself will corner some of the money.Na where person dey work, hin dey chop.
Then what can u say about the 2nd Niger bridge that was 5 times costlier during Gej era. Though it is totally unacceptable if that was the cost in Ethiopia but I thing many of u are just trying to play politics wt everything.
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by riddler4real(m): 10:06am On Jun 09, 2016
Scholes007:
Possible thing that can change the cost of such project significantly is the terrain. Lagos is a swampy area and any construction project is likely to cost more than conventional. Also the population that will use it determines the quality of things or will you want to waste millions for it to fail so soon?

It's a pity..... it's either u know exactly what you are doing or u r just disillusioned from reality
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by ba7man(m): 10:07am On Jun 09, 2016
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by Guyman02: 10:08am On Jun 09, 2016
Scholes007:
Possible thing that can change the cost of such project significantly is the terrain. Lagos is a swampy area and any construction project is likely to cost more than conventional. Also the population that will use it determines the quality of things or will you want to waste millions for it to fail so soon?

Have you seen the Addis Ababa light rail? You have seen the Lagos version, where are the swampy terrain in the 34km in Lagos
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by gloryman91: 10:11am On Jun 09, 2016
deeplow:
Haba na. Dont be naive. You cant compare the two. They did not include Omo onile and Akiolu in the budget for Ethiopia's light rail na. That can add quite a lot to the budget.

Nigeria is known to use better quality materials for construction. This is evident in our hospitals,schools and world class roads.

27km in Nigeria is quite longer than 34 in Ethiopia. Basis for measurement is different.

Chief Amaechi himself will corner some of the money.Na where person dey work, hin dey chop.
Na during gej so amaechi not involved.
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by kolexy(m): 10:18am On Jun 09, 2016
kinibigdeal:
Lagos Light Rail Line is too costly compare to a similar project in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia .

Please see below :

Addis Ababa Light Rail Project,Span : 34Km. Cost : $475m
number of Stations : 39
Project Tenure : 2011 - 2015

Status : The project is already completed and running effectively .

Lagos Light Rail project

Span : 27km
Cost : $1.2Bn
number of Stations : 13
project Tenure : 2010 till date

Is the new 4th mainland bridge worth the cost?

The terrain aren't similar. A part of the rail track will be over water and other possible reasons. And possibly "contract padding".
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by riddler4real(m): 10:22am On Jun 09, 2016
sabama007:

As much as I disagreed with the poster, Omo Onile (Community Affairs) is always included in the budget for any construction work.

On the topic, the OP's post is without any base nor fact as it's improper to compare construction cost of a project in two different geopolitical zones. Features will definitely differ. Soil nature, site terrain, economic situation, minimum wage, side features (flyover, pedestrian bridge, stops, underpass, lighting... etc)...

In conclusion, I think the OP is high on some expired weeds and needs to be rehabilitated.

Now check this out.... it cost UAE $7billion to construct a world class metro line of over 74km. And with 49 stations and 79 five car trains each fully automated(no driver)
And note that here in dubai the terrain is sandy (desert) so it's more expensive to build on it..... also some of the stations are underground and all stations are fully air conditioned.

Now compare that with what the Lagos state govt is struggling to achieve and you will see that the op isn't high but only being a concerned citizen who wants to know why?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by AZeD1(m): 10:26am On Jun 09, 2016
Shym3xx:
Rogues.

When are they even going to complete the darn thing? I remember when I first registered on this forum in 2012, I saw pictures of Fashola buying some used trains in Canada. What happened to them?
Ambode says it will start running this year. I know they are constructing pillars at CMS right now .
The remaining part of the work is the last leg and it's mostly over ground. I'd say 80% of pillars have been constructed.
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by Phobia1: 10:27am On Jun 09, 2016
aresa:

Lagos Metro Rail Project goes beyond what you listed and the project is not limited to metro rail.

Ethiopia's rail project is just a rail project

Lagos state metro includes 27km metro rail with multiple lines

54 km 10 lane expressway

BRT access

Stations

Overhead bridges

Rail bridge across the Lagos Lagoon

Power station

Get your facts straight...

Good. thanks for rebranding d op brain.
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by Phobia1: 10:29am On Jun 09, 2016
ever811:
hope u read the news about a yoloba man that stole ,$4 million in London today..if u do then you hv got the answer its in there blood..
Lol. ipod olodo. If ur so called "yolobas" are d most corrupt, why are ur leaders fighting d fed to drop CORUPTION cases against dem? aha eran.

2 Likes

Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by Nobody: 10:31am On Jun 09, 2016
masseratti:
it actually passed through a developed area, but most people on this thread refused to note that more than half of the Lagos rail line is elevated and there is brt corridor and a ten lane road project in it, not forgetting the houses the government had to pay for.

There are other issues as well. There's an nnpc supply pipe that must be replaced.
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by MadCow1: 10:32am On Jun 09, 2016
oyb:

There are other issues as well. There's an nnpc supply pipe that must be replaced.

pfft..
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by 3verblazing(m): 10:33am On Jun 09, 2016
grin cheesy[color=#990000][/color] cheesy
comos:

you should have added grazing Land
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by Ximonak: 10:51am On Jun 09, 2016
AZeD1:

Ambode says it will start running this year. I know they are constructing pillars at CMS right now .
The remaining part of the work is the last leg and it's mostly over ground. I'd say 80% of pillars have been constructed.

That's a big fat lie
From under-bridge, Trade Fair to badagry no single work has being done.
This China guys are too slow, Berger started the road work to mile2 very fast and step by step.
CCECC will just close the road causing terrible traffic, still no work done

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by AgentOfAllah: 11:07am On Jun 09, 2016
Guyman02:

Have you seen the Addis Ababa light rail? You have seen the Lagos version, where are the swampy terrain in the 34km in Lagos

Your question is best directed at those suggesting that the prices should be equivalent. Many have rightly pointed out that cost comparison is only justifiable after having factored in all the city unique variables that affect such projects wherever they may be executed. It is utterly pretentious and dumb to quote the number of stations being built, as well as the distance, and then make price comparisons as if these are the only factors to consider in rail projects.

That said, the fundamental question of why Lagos' light rail should cost 3 time as much as Addis' is still very much valid and has not been addressed by any of the commenters here, mostly because none of them is the contractor/client, but also because no one seems interested in the answer. They either just want to mindlessly defend the Lagos state government, or mindlessly condemn it.

I am very much interested in the answer, and I will try to contact LAMATA directly and share my experience with you lot, but before then, I hope Kinibigdeal will be kind enough to share the source of the information because contacting government parastals is serious business, and I don't want to go sounding like an idiot who knows how to pull random numbers out of his arse.

4 Likes

Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by DisGuy: 11:08am On Jun 09, 2016
I am just dying to know the new estimated completion date for this project

anyone?

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by Safari29: 11:09am On Jun 09, 2016
Lagos Light Rail project budget alone shouldnt be more than $500m, add that to the 10 lanes express plus separate BRT Lanes to badagry undecided, overhead bridges.. na beans? undecided built on swampy land accross lagos lagoon? and this is just a blue lane alone Abeegi the price is worth it. They yet to start the red and other lanes

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by adanny01(m): 11:11am On Jun 09, 2016
riddler4real:

Now check this out.... it cost UAE $7billion to construct a world class metro line of over 74km. And with 49 stations and 79 five car trains each fully automated(no driver)
And note that here in dubai the terrain is sandy (desert) so it's more expensive to build on it..... also some of the stations are underground and all stations are fully air conditioned.

Now compare that with what the Lagos state govt is struggling to achieve and you will see that the op isn't high but only being a concerned citizen who wants to know why?

Kai kai kai kai SMH!

Do you actually mean it is more expensive to build in the desert than over the Lagos lagoon? How the hell did you arrive on that?

Like some said, its either some of you are plain mischievious or completely ignorant. May be high on something.

For those of us who know, its pointless to compare projects even if their scope is exactly the same. Even a pot of stew is not worth the same thing in different parts of Naija talk more of another country.

I worked on a trasnmission line project in Akwa Ibom, the cost of the project was just over N2billion while compensation of property and land owners was N6billion. If the same line were to be constrcuted in Sokoto, the cost might have still been less than N3billion but over N8billion in Akwa ibom. Take that project to lagos metro and it might become N30billion, how can one compare.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by ogmask: 11:14am On Jun 09, 2016
sucess001:
i just did some research. its the same thing in Ethiophia as Lagos...hence they need to revisit that contract....someone has not acted cleanly...

Addis Ababa Light Rail
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Addis Ababa Light Rail (Amharic: የአዲስ አበባ ቀላል ባቡር) is a light rail transportation system in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.[3][4] A 17-kilometre (11 mi) line running from the city centre to industrial areas in the south of the city opened on 20 September 2015.[5][6] Service began on 9 November 2015 for the second line (west-east).[7][8] The total length of both lines is 31.6 kilometres (19.6 mi), with 39 stations.[7] Trains are expected to be able to reach maximum speeds of 70 km/h (43 mph).[9]

The railway was contracted by the China Railway Group Limited. The Ethiopian Railways Corporation began construction of the double track electrified light rail transit project in December 2011 after securing funds from the Export-Import Bank of China.[10] Trial operations were begun on 1 February 2015,[9] with several months of testing following that.[11] It is operated by the Shenzhen Metro Group.[12]

Light Rail running through parallel to the street (Haile Gebreselassie Avenue)
This light-rail system was the first to be built in sub-saharan Africa.[3][5][6] Of the two line rail lines, the east-west line extends 17.4 kilometres (10.8 mi), stretching from Ayat Village to Torhailoch, and passing through Megenagna, Meskel Square, Legehar and Mexico Square. The north-south line, which is 16.9 kilometres (10.5 mi) in length, passes through Menelik II Square, Merkato, Lideta, Legehar, Meskel Square, Gotera and Kaliti. However, two lines have a common track of about 2.7 km.[10]The common track is the elevated section which runs east to west across the southern edge of the CBD from Meskel Square to Mexico Square, and onwards to Lideta. Trains on the north south line are blue and white, whilst on the east west line they are green and white. The Fares cost 2-6 Ethiopian birr.[5][6] Tickets are bought at orange coloured kiosks next to each station.

The final cost to build the railway was US$475m, with construction taking three years.[6] The Addis Ababa Light Rail was originally to have a total of 41 stations on its two lines, and each train was planned have a capacity to carry 286 passengers. This will enable the light rail transit to provide a transportation service to 15,000 passengers per hour per direction (PPHPD) and 60,000 in all four directions.[10] The railway lines have their own dedicated power grid.[6][13]

Ok seen the Ethiopian version. What about the lagos version for side by side comparison.
Pls do the needful bro.
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by egariyi(f): 11:18am On Jun 09, 2016
deeplow:

By the time they add 2% for Tinubu, 2% for Ambo, 3% for Abuja boys etc, what do you expect? grin grin grin shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by CioAngels(f): 11:22am On Jun 09, 2016
Becos tinubu and fashola would have padded their pickback into chinese quotations.
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by shogz89: 11:29am On Jun 09, 2016
phantomsailor:
I was in Ethiopia last month and saw the metro line, one big difference is the absence of the huge rail station that the Lagos rail line has, what the have is mini stations like Lagos BRT Bus stops. The Ethiopian rail line did not pass through and water body as someone mentioned. Ethiopian rail is electric but Lagos is locomotive I don't know which is cheaper.
phantomsailor:
I was in Ethiopia last month and saw the metro line, one big difference is the absence of the huge rail station that the Lagos rail line has, what the have is mini stations like Lagos BRT Bus stops. The Ethiopian rail line did not pass through and water body as someone mentioned. Ethiopian rail is electric but Lagos is locomotive I don't know which is cheaper.
phantomsailor:
b lagos is light not locomotive, who does locomotive this age
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by finessey: 11:30am On Jun 09, 2016
firstolalekan:
Woe betide all these corrupt leaders

May they all die of painful inoperable cancers angry

They all sick already...u can tell that from the president.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 09, 2016
riddler4real:

Well, what's the economy of Dubai like when compared that of Nigeria?

I'm not backing up the budget of the Lagos light rail but then we all know how things are in Nigeria. Corruption is a bane to our socio-economic growth.

Well, I'd like you to help me with the links showing the features of the Dubai rail as well as that of Lagos.

I want to be well informed
Re: Opinion: Why Is Lagos Light Rail Project Costlier Than That Of Ethiopia? by braining01: 11:35am On Jun 09, 2016
OLODO...Amaechi for a project awarded by Fashola, too much talk is leading you to spew nonsense....
deeplow:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Governors Back SARS Ban / Barinaadaa Gbaranee Dies In Army Custody - Fyno / Tinubu Tells Kwara People How To Remove Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.